shape
carat
color
clarity

Demantoid decision

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Brighter lighting (I perched it inside of a lampshade, poor thing) where you can really see where the horsetail is:

dem_finallightsm.jpg

JUNGLE JIM

Rough_Rock
Hi Hest
I tried two times to attach the photos of the stones yesterday, but I guess the file was a bit too large for the acceptable size. I am tryin to get hold of the computer boy to size down this photo.

Thanks
JJ

JUNGLE JIM

Rough_Rock
hi
here are the photos of my strange stones.
JJ

demantoid polished.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
here are the photos of my strange stones.
They are not strange... the bottle green color happens to demantoid - perhaps not in Russia, but Italy and Namibia ha it so. The light color stuff is downright exciting ! If clean and faceted to show that famous fire - those should be quite a treat.

Thaigem stocks this material. However, yours are the first colorless ones I got to see.

JUNGLE JIM

Rough_Rock
These stones come from Liberia. It is from my new mine that I had to abandon becos the monkeys were approaching.
Thanks for the enlightenment.
JJ

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks for posting the pics hest!!! it looks just perfect!! aren''t you glad you kept looking!? it seems like it is exactly what you wanted from the very begining!!
36.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/3/2005 9:22:55 AM
Author: JUNGLE JIM
These stones come from Liberia. It is from my new mine that I had to abandon becos the monkeys were approaching.
Thanks for the enlightenment.
JJ

Are you talking about natives or animals? If natives, it is terribly innapropriate. If animals, please enlighten us more about why monkeys would force you to leave a mine.

Wink

Addlepated

Shiny_Rock
I think "monkeys" is slang in Liberia for the higher-ups in the government who, like monkeys, perch on the highest branches and eat all the best fruit, leaving nothing for others.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ah, thank you. That makes more sense now.

Wink

JUNGLE JIM

Rough_Rock
"No Monkey" is a slang that has come to stay in the Liberian parlance. When th invading LURD forces were entering the city of Monrovia, they used to grab our cars especially jeeps and pick-ups and run back into the outskirts. They would come back driving these same jeeps with umpunity and they would graffiti the cars "No Monkey Try Me". You look at your own car and no police, no armyman, nobody could help you retrieve it. After the war most of us had to buy back our own things from them, if they were still in good condition.
Now we are back together as brothers and we live together thanks to UNMIL. But the jokes still stay. MONKEY.
9.gif

JJ

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/2/2005 4:48:35 PM
Author: Hest88

The scary thing is that Josh was telling us that they went into the Russian demantoid mine last summer and came up with nada. They''re going to try again when the ground warms up. So, there''s a very real possibility that this may be it for fine Russian demantoids in the forseeable future. If any of you out there fell in love with the Jell-O demantoid or any of the others, I suggest you get on the phone to your jeweler asap and have them get in touch with Pala!

No one seemed to take much notice of this comment by Hest. Josh told us that they did not find a SINGLE STONE in all of last summer''s mining and that if they do not find any this summer they may well not go back into that area in the forseeable future. Unlike diamonds and many other stones, there is a definite limit to what is available in demantoid.

I have always appreciated Pala''s dedication to fine cutting and great stones (I used to buy from them clear back when I was a student at GIA in 1975. I have not often purchased from them in recent years due to my VERY close association with Richard Homer.) It hurts my heart to have them tell me that they may not be able get any more of this material if they do not find another pocket or two at their mine this summer.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/4/2005 5:31:58 AM
Author: JUNGLE JIM
''No Monkey'' is a slang that has come to stay in the Liberian parlance. When th invading LURD forces were entering the city of Monrovia, they used to grab our cars especially jeeps and pick-ups and run back into the outskirts. They would come back driving these same jeeps with umpunity and they would graffiti the cars ''No Monkey Try Me''. You look at your own car and no police, no armyman, nobody could help you retrieve it. After the war most of us had to buy back our own things from them, if they were still in good condition.
Now we are back together as brothers and we live together thanks to UNMIL. But the jokes still stay. MONKEY.
9.gif

JJ
Thank you for sharing that with us. Sometimes we get very spoiled here as the concept of what you went through is totally foreign to our way of thinking.

Wink

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well...I finally read this thread (after being sent here by belle as I was reading the thread about setting this stone). Link to Thread on Setting Demantoid

I have to say that ON THE COMPUTER, I really loved that oval. I had just decided I liked it because it had less yellow than the other demantoid when I read raddygast saying the same thing I had just thought! (BTW, I still don't understand what causes a horsetail, but I loved some of the pictures of stones that had them!)

You have to go with what makes your heart sing, though, and I am glad that Pala helped you find the stone that did that. (I also hope they replace my red spinel with one that makes *my* heart sing!)

Is "your" oval still available for sale? It is 1,000 times more beautiful than the emeralds I bought in Colombia!

Best of luck with the setting!!!

Deb

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Deb,

I believe that stone is gone, I could not find it when I went to the data base, but there are some gorgeous stones there. You can go to http://www.palagems.com and search their data base and see many incredible pictures. Then you can contact me or your favorite on line or local jeweler who will be happy to get it sent to them for you by Pala.

Wink

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been wondering what a stone the color of lime jello might look like. Like this?

LimeJello1.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...or might it look more like this?

Limejello2.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...or this?

Deb

LimeJello3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results