shape
carat
color
clarity

Furparents: Hot Spots?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Helpppp! Now the cone isn't working!! My 9 year old Pekingese started giving himself hotspots about two years ago. First, it would be secondary to either fleas, knotted fur, or when it actually was too hot. So when the spot was blocked off, and ointment applied, it would heal and all was dandy until the next problem.

After I moved in with FI in September, we noticed he suddenly got a flea attack-- something he's never had. He had fleas SWIMMING in his fur. With daily removal sessions, twice weekly baths, and of course we always use FrontLine Plus, he's now back at baseline. During this period, he started to obsessively scratch and lick his back near his tail.

We've had to soft-cone him SO often that we're looking at 75% of the day! We only take it off when we are home with him to make sure he's not licking at his fur. He has NO evidence of fleas now, but he continues to eat away at his skin. I'm in tears. The poor guy HATES his cone but he's going to eat himself alive if we don't put it on. He moans and groans with it on and tries so hard to still reach that spot.

So AS the back heals, he has found an alternate spot. He now is eating alive his own belly/hind leg area. I've purchased a doggy onesie online to see if that barrier will at least help with the saliva/wet skin.

I've gone to two vets about it and they just said its behavioral. No evidence of dry skin, the fleas have cleared.. I mean, we can't physically be home with him all day when we're at work! And he just DOESNT do toys. Even if we are home, he's old so he just likes to sleep near us and continue his licking/scratching.

I've tried putting bitter sprays on, hot spot sprays on.. but it seems temporary. Like the taste deters him for a little while and he forgets.... Then tries again when the spray has faded and starts munching again.

I know we have MANY dog lovers here. Please advise? I've heard pekingese breed is notorious for eating themselves to death. Not literally, but yea. Hot spots.

Q

Queenie60

Have you tried oatmeal shampoo for him? Try bathing him in a special shampoo. The vet should have something you can bathe him in to relieve the skin. We have an ongoing problem with one of our cats. He scratches around his face until the skin is raw. This has been going on for 5 years. I have spent about $3,000 trying to find solution. We now have caps put on his back claws to make is so he can't scratch too deep and have an antibiotic shot about every 4 to 6 weeks so he doesn't get an infection. I am taking him to a special animal dermatologist in February. Ask your vet if there is a dermatologist for pets in your area. It's worth a try - they can do a panel on him to see what he is allergic to. Good luck - I know this can be crazy with a pet. Also, try a wire pet brush once per day to help loosen up any flakes on the skin that could be causing the itching.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
One thing that is often a culprit that vets sometimes miss is the diet. Any chance he might be allergic to grain? Or a specific protein sorce? Does he ever get ear infections? Our first dog was allergic to poultry and that was made evident via some hotspots and ear infections. Once we identified the allergy, it was easy to manage. There are so many limited-ingredient foods now that i feel like it's much easier to navigate food allergies. As queenie suggested, you can do an allergy panel and see what comes up.

Have you tried an inflatable collar in lieu of the cone? Our second dog needed a collar for a couple of months and we found the inflatable collar was so much more comfortable for him. It may not help, but thought I'd throw it out there since we had success with it.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Madelise, I will write more later but you might want to see if your vet has Apoquel. It's a newer allergy medicine for dogs. It has been so popular that some vets have a difficult time getting it. Check with your local vet to see if your dog is a good candidate for it.

Things we have done for our dogs to help with allergy issues over the years:

- Tested for allergens
- Wipe down our dog with diluted listerine spray or lemon water spray when they come back inside. Ours has allergy to a type of grass in our yard so wiping down problem areas/legs/belly/paws helps tremendously.
- Oatmeal based or holistic shampoo
- I have had good luck with key west aloe pet products for skin
- started a diet under vet supervision then added proteins/veggies for cooked diet with food log to see if anything triggered the itching
- last summer I paid a small fee for the vet to design a diet specifically for my dog which I made in batches. You have to be very careful and we did blood panels for baseline & monitoring, but it worked very well.
- Chinese herbs (again with traditional & holistic vet supervision)
- changed the laundry detergent that I used to clean their beds (I had one that was allergic to something in A brand name detergent)
- went to vet that specializes in allergy issues
- this one sounds odd, but we had great results! We took our dog to acupuncture to specifically work on acupressure points to relieve itching/stress/anxiety. This was this past fall and all still going well.

I don't recommend doing anything without researching plus vet supervision. Hope any of the above may give you some ideas. :wavey:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a bit of me projecting my skin issues... I also think there may be an allergy involved. Also, big changes like moving in with Fi could be stressful for your dog, and also make the histamine levels rise.

What are you currently feeding your dog?

My parents have a dog that has seasonal allergies. whsn she flares up in the summer with all the flowers and grass pollen, my mom will dip her in the pool. However, when its spring or fall, and the pollen count is high, they give her half a Benadryl pill for a few days for the inflammation to subside and her not scratching and licking gives her skin a chance to heal. I don't suggest being rogue vets like me and my parents :confused: but talkin to the vet about an antihistamine as an option could help. Testin for allergies is also a good idea.

Also, giving her and her mommy fish oil supplements has improved her and her mommy's coat and skin.

Could you put some fractionated coconut oil on the hot spot, since coconut oil is anti fungal and antibacterial, and if your dog inadvertently licks and ingests it, it won't be as big of an issue compared to ingesting the ointment? See what the vet says :angel:

...just my laymen attempt to be helpful :wavey: . It is always so distressing when a fur baby is not doing well, so lots and lots of dust to you and your doggy!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are reports of dogs having allergic reactions to FrontlinePlus so that may be a factor. Frontline recommends not using the product on dogs who are exceptionally young or exceptionally old or have poor immune systems. Pekinese live between 12-15 years so it may be that your 9 yr old's age is also a factor.

Some info re: the product which warns against long term use. https://www.vetinfo.com/side-effects-fipronil-frontline-dogs.html

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
gold bond powder. it is what my vet said to do for murry and it always worked. use the powder and the cone when you are not there, should be over in a week. with murry it was between the pads of his paws, so i would fill a baby sock with powder, put it on him and secure it with blue tape. magic.

mjr1

Rough_Rock
I give my dog one Allegra a day and no more hot spots.....I am not a huge fan of medicating unnecessarily but she developed hot spots, we tried baths, powers, changing foods etc. etc. etc. Finally started Allegra with great results but when I stopped it the vicious cycle started again. So now i give her one Allegra a day and no more issues......and she has no issues/side effects from the Allegra so I just give it.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Queenie60|1453228899|3978020 said:
Have you tried oatmeal shampoo for him? Try bathing him in a special shampoo. The vet should have something you can bathe him in to relieve the skin. We have an ongoing problem with one of our cats. He scratches around his face until the skin is raw. This has been going on for 5 years. I have spent about $3,000 trying to find solution. We now have caps put on his back claws to make is so he can't scratch too deep and have an antibiotic shot about every 4 to 6 weeks so he doesn't get an infection. I am taking him to a special animal dermatologist in February. Ask your vet if there is a dermatologist for pets in your area. It's worth a try - they can do a panel on him to see what he is allergic to. Good luck - I know this can be crazy with a pet. Also, try a wire pet brush once per day to help loosen up any flakes on the skin that could be causing the itching.

Yeah, we use oatmeal and tea tree oil and aloe products on him :sick:

NewEnglandLady said:
One thing that is often a culprit that vets sometimes miss is the diet. Any chance he might be allergic to grain? Or a specific protein sorce? Does he ever get ear infections? Our first dog was allergic to poultry and that was made evident via some hotspots and ear infections. Once we identified the allergy, it was easy to manage. There are so many limited-ingredient foods now that i feel like it's much easier to navigate food allergies. As queenie suggested, you can do an allergy panel and see what comes up.

Have you tried an inflatable collar in lieu of the cone? Our second dog needed a collar for a couple of months and we found the inflatable collar was so much more comfortable for him. It may not help, but thought I'd throw it out there since we had success with it.

I asked this new vet (we just moved) about potential food allergies and he said there's no way to prove it without trialing different foods (proteins) for at least 6 months each and literally only giving him the protein so we can rule out other things (like grains) also being a confounding factor. It sounded like a pain, and he said my dog's skin wasn't showing dry skin in other areas he wasn't scratching at so it was most likely behavioral. Also, every time we leave him at boarding where he has free reign to play with the employees and other dogs, his skin always comes back perfect. Like he only chews on himself when he's bored.. which was what my original vet suggested. Also, never any ear infections. His ears smell clean, and never any itching :)

We do use the inflatable collar. He actually hates it. He gets more vision so he doesn't bump into stuff, but he can't lay his head down on his bed so he's pretty miserable. Unfortunately, it's just gonna have to do. I switch between that and a soft cone because I have to constantly wash them.

I've actually asked about any blood test and the vet says it's not very accurate, that food trials was the best way to go. And he said special diet foods are really really expensive... so best way to be economical is to trial each protein for 6 months each and observe.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockinruby|1453232159|3978063 said:
Madelise, I will write more later but you might want to see if your vet has Apoquel. It's a newer allergy medicine for dogs. It has been so popular that some vets have a difficult time getting it. Check with your local vet to see if your dog is a good candidate for it.

Things we have done for our dogs to help with allergy issues over the years:

- Tested for allergens
- Wipe down our dog with diluted listerine spray or lemon water spray when they come back inside. Ours has allergy to a type of grass in our yard so wiping down problem areas/legs/belly/paws helps tremendously.
- Oatmeal based or holistic shampoo
- I have had good luck with key west aloe pet products for skin
- started a diet under vet supervision then added proteins/veggies for cooked diet with food log to see if anything triggered the itching
- last summer I paid a small fee for the vet to design a diet specifically for my dog which I made in batches. You have to be very careful and we did blood panels for baseline & monitoring, but it worked very well.
- Chinese herbs (again with traditional & holistic vet supervision)
- changed the laundry detergent that I used to clean their beds (I had one that was allergic to something in A brand name detergent)
- went to vet that specializes in allergy issues
- this one sounds odd, but we had great results! We took our dog to acupuncture to specifically work on acupressure points to relieve itching/stress/anxiety. This was this past fall and all still going well.

I don't recommend doing anything without researching plus vet supervision. Hope any of the above may give you some ideas. :wavey:

I'll ask my FSIL about apoquel? I've used benadryl on him when he got his flea attack, and it didn't really work after an hour or two. Made him calm for a tiny bit then he was right back at it. But, this was when he had fleas. Hadn't tried it.... gonna try again now.!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1453234066|3978081 said:
This is a bit of me projecting my skin issues... I also think there may be an allergy involved. Also, big changes like moving in with Fi could be stressful for your dog, and also make the histamine levels rise.

What are you currently feeding your dog?

My parents have a dog that has seasonal allergies. whsn she flares up in the summer with all the flowers and grass pollen, my mom will dip her in the pool. However, when its spring or fall, and the pollen count is high, they give her half a Benadryl pill for a few days for the inflammation to subside and her not scratching and licking gives her skin a chance to heal. I don't suggest being rogue vets like me and my parents :confused: but talkin to the vet about an antihistamine as an option could help. Testin for allergies is also a good idea.

Also, giving her and her mommy fish oil supplements has improved her and her mommy's coat and skin.

Could you put some fractionated coconut oil on the hot spot, since coconut oil is anti fungal and antibacterial, and if your dog inadvertently licks and ingests it, it won't be as big of an issue compared to ingesting the ointment? See what the vet says :angel:

...just my laymen attempt to be helpful :wavey: . It is always so distressing when a fur baby is not doing well, so lots and lots of dust to you and your doggy!

Never thought about coconut oil? It's antibacterial? Yeah we gave him Benadryl before. Trying it again tonight to see if it helps. He seriously can lick and scratch ALL night long, and we can hardly sleep :(

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1453247666|3978225 said:
There are reports of dogs having allergic reactions to FrontlinePlus so that may be a factor. Frontline recommends not using the product on dogs who are exceptionally young or exceptionally old or have poor immune systems. Pekinese live between 12-15 years so it may be that your 9 yr old's age is also a factor.

Some info re: the product which warns against long term use. https://www.vetinfo.com/side-effects-fipronil-frontline-dogs.html

What?! I've used FLP forever on all my pets! Ugh.. I don't find other stuff effective... and this new city I'm in is FLEA INFESTED. It's a very dog friendly area, which is great, but that means poo and fleas EVERYWHERE. I never had a problem with fleas in my old city. I only had to use FrontLine Plus on him in the summertime.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1453251090|3978252 said:
gold bond powder. it is what my vet said to do for murry and it always worked. use the powder and the cone when you are not there, should be over in a week. with murry it was between the pads of his paws, so i would fill a baby sock with powder, put it on him and secure it with blue tape. magic.

He wouldn't pull off the socks? I'm wondering if I can put that on his skin, put him in a onesie, and put on the cone until the skin heals at least?

mjr1 said:
I give my dog one Allegra a day and no more hot spots.....I am not a huge fan of medicating unnecessarily but she developed hot spots, we tried baths, powers, changing foods etc. etc. etc. Finally started Allegra with great results but when I stopped it the vicious cycle started again. So now i give her one Allegra a day and no more issues......and she has no issues/side effects from the Allegra so I just give it.

Is Allegra the same as Benadryl?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks ya'll for the responses. It sounds like multiples of you suggest blood panel. I wrote above what response I got from my new vet re: blood test for it, that it isn't super effective. I'm going to consult with my FSIL and FBIL this weekend; they both used to work for vets as vet techs, and my FSIL majored in pre-veterinary science. She's actually considering starting a line of raw dog food.

Trying Benadryl tonight to see if it will work, at least to calm the inflammation his reoccurring scratching and licking is causing.

Will buy gold bond tomorrow.

**** I will add that I do believe it is behavioral. Or at least behavioral effected. Whenever we leave him at the boarders when we are on vacation, he comes back with perfect skin. All his time is spent with other small dogs playing, and he was SO tired after we picked him up that he slept through 3-4 days without much energy for play time. We loved it. But we can't feasibly pay for doggy boarding day-care every single day just to keep him preoccupied. He also doesn't know how to play with toys. He is lazy as a pig, and prefers to just lay there and stare at me when I try to play with him. He likes to go outside for walks but he gets tired/lazy/disinterested very easily (2-3 blocks max).

4_cs

Shiny_Rock
I have 3 dogs. One had horrible skin issues. Licked himself until he was raw. Vet visits, medications and baths. Nothing helped. Spent time researching online. Changed the food-even though he was on a high quality grain free food. I switched to the Pure Vita line. Next I added probiotics. They are not all the same. I use one I got at CVS. Bacillus coagulans. He gets one a day.Warning-probiotics caused increased gas and loose stool for about a week. It takes about a week of adjustment on the probiotics before things get back to normal. He also gets a benadryl and a Claritin daily. He is 8 years old and I took me 6 ½ years of him being miserable before I found something that helped. His skin issues are completely gone. Hope this helps.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gold bond as mentioned. Yes that really helps. Add some natural oils to the diet. Salmon, Coconut, something. Helps a lot with coat and skin health. The doggie stuff is a bit stinky but hey whatever right? I use Grizzly salmon oil. For a small dog 1/2 to 1 pump over food is plenty.

Also when you wash your dogs linens (if they have such things) be sure to NOT add softener. My dog has all sorts of linens and cloths so wash her stuff different than mine or the household. If your dog sleeps with you, then maybe change how you wash your linens too.

Some dogs really do have allergies to chicken and beef. First I would try those things above as food switching can be a pain in the rear and cause all types of untold issues. You CAN also try green tripe in the can. PetKind is a brand I like most. I still use it off and on especially when we travel (my dog isn't just a raw dog, she straddles the line!)

Grain free only works if your dog has issues with it. My dog eats oatmeal. Every morning. With cranberries and banana (and cinnamon!!) :lol: Its only a tablespoon of mine, but its never given her any issues. She also likes rice and eats it occasionally. Corn is the issue for most dogs as its what is used in lots of dog foods, but IMO grains aren't always bad unless there's an allergy to them.

Meat byproducts I feed my dog are liver, heart, tripe, feet, necks, sometimes cooked gizzards. (necks are a very good source of glucosamine and chondroitin) the meat byproduct I feed my dog are always whole foods.

Sometimes switching to raw/BARF diet works very well for some as it can alleviate a lot of issues such as allergies, poo problems etc. If you go this route, make sure you dog is also getting a daily vitamin too. I use Life Extension Doggie Vitamins.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
madelise|1453257036|3978315 said:
**** I will add that I do believe it is behavioral. Or at least behavioral effected. Whenever we leave him at the boarders when we are on vacation, he comes back with perfect skin. All his time is spent with other small dogs playing, and he was SO tired after we picked him up that he slept through 3-4 days without much energy for play time. We loved it. But we can't feasibly pay for doggy boarding day-care every single day just to keep him preoccupied. He also doesn't know how to play with toys. He is lazy as a pig, and prefers to just lay there and stare at me when I try to play with him. He likes to go outside for walks but he gets tired/lazy/disinterested very easily (2-3 blocks max).

I would have suggested dietary changes, as well as a reaction to Frontline. But I'll offer one more alternative thought - since he doesn't want to play with toys or with you, but seems to be fine after the daycare where he gets to play with other dogs, maybe he could benefit from a buddy. Not sure if that's feasible for you, but that's what is jumping out at me. Some dogs are just really social and need that companionship. Sounds like yours could be one of them!

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For fleas, our vet told us that Trifexis works better than Frontline. We made the switch a few years ago and haven't had a single flea since. It's a flea/heartworm/parasite combo drug which I also like.

My dog also gets seasonal hot spots. When he has a flare up, we feed him a spoonful of coconut oil with his food in the morning, and he gets a steroid shot as needed at the vet which helps tremendously. I've had better luck with Allegra than Benadryl, but talk to your doctor about dosage amounts because smaller dogs get partial pills. He used to chew on his leg in particular, and rather than using the cone, we wrapped his leg up in an ace bandage and that stumped him enough to lay off and let the spot heal.

And I swear his hot spots got better when we switched him to Nutro food vs the Blue Buffalo he was eating.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
rainydaze|1453301926|3978537 said:

I would have suggested dietary changes, as well as a reaction to Frontline. But I'll offer one more alternative thought - since he doesn't want to play with toys or with you, but seems to be fine after the daycare where he gets to play with other dogs, maybe he could benefit from a buddy. Not sure if that's feasible for you, but that's what is jumping out at me. Some dogs are just really social and need that companionship. Sounds like yours could be one of them!

:'( he used to have one...

I would love to adopt another but we live in a condo in a very very expensive area of LA. You know, no yards, and lots of expensive HOAs that don't allow pets! I'm lucky our place even allows him. FI bought our place without a dog, and my baby so happened to fit the parameters the HOA allows.

We have to wait another 3-5 years before we are ready to buy another property. Oh, I can't wait. I need a damn yard.

I have to correct that he loves to play with us humans.. But he's over it in like 5 minutes haha. Like. Lazy.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
liaerfbv|1453320805|3978694 said:
For fleas, our vet told us that Trifexis works better than Frontline. We made the switch a few years ago and haven't had a single flea since. It's a flea/heartworm/parasite combo drug which I also like.

My dog also gets seasonal hot spots. When he has a flare up, we feed him a spoonful of coconut oil with his food in the morning, and he gets a steroid shot as needed at the vet which helps tremendously. I've had better luck with Allegra than Benadryl, but talk to your doctor about dosage amounts because smaller dogs get partial pills. He used to chew on his leg in particular, and rather than using the cone, we wrapped his leg up in an ace bandage and that stumped him enough to lay off and let the spot heal.

And I swear his hot spots got better when we switched him to Nutro food vs the Blue Buffalo he was eating.

ACE BANDAGE! That's it! I'm gonna try that. At least to block it off! The onesie isn't here yet!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
madelise|1453322192|3978709 said:

I would love to adopt another but we live in a condo in a very very expensive area of LA. You know, no yards, and lots of expensive HOAs that don't allow pets! I'm lucky our place even allows him. FI bought our place without a dog, and my baby so happened to fit the parameters the HOA allows.

We have to wait another 3-5 years before we are ready to buy another property. Oh, I can't wait. I need a damn yard.

I have to correct that he loves to play with us humans.. But he's over it in like 5 minutes haha. Like. Lazy.

Oh no, I'm sorry for your loss Madelise. And I'm glad things worked out for him making it in to this HOA, though it stinks there's such tight restrictions. Fingers crossed for that nice yard coming your way in the future! :))

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 5 Scottish terriers, they are a breed that sometimes have skin allergies and issues. I am not sure if you have this stuff in the US but it's like the holy grail of shampoo for settling Dog dermatitis, you need to use it for a month at least;

http://www.petbarn.com.au/dermcare-malaseb-medicated-foam-1.html

Some dogs can be allergic to tea tree oil washes and are you aware that if you have a flea situation, tea tree oil and eucalyptus of any kind totally negate most of the effects of any flea spot treatments like Advantage, Frontline and so on.... so that might be why your flea situation is taking so long to get under control, it could just be that it hasn't been allowed to do the job properly.

Some breeds of dogs are more likely to be allergic to dog biscuits, if you have switched to vet approved food pay particular attention to what is in all of the dried food and by using the elimination method see if any particular elements in the dry food seem to make it worse or better.

Finally it could be just plain boredom if you both work all day and he likes kennels. Maybe try a doggy day care centre once or twice a week where your dog can play with other dogs or find a friend that has dogs where he could go once or twice a week to be around and play with a pack of his own kind.

mjr1

Rough_Rock
Allegra is not benadryl. They are both antihistamines. Allegra is Fexofenadine. Benadryl is Diphenhydramine.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
rainydaze|1453322699|3978714 said:
madelise|1453322192|3978709 said:

Oh no, I'm sorry for your loss Madelise. And I'm glad things worked out for him making it in to this HOA, though it stinks there's such tight restrictions. Fingers crossed for that nice yard coming your way in the future! :))

Thank you! Haha though yards here seem to be just a tiny patch of grass, MAYBE.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1453344516|3978889 said:
I have 5 Scottish terriers, they are a breed that sometimes have skin allergies and issues. I am not sure if you have this stuff in the US but it's like the holy grail of shampoo for settling Dog dermatitis, you need to use it for a month at least;

Some dogs can be allergic to tea tree oil washes and are you aware that if you have a flea situation, tea tree oil and eucalyptus of any kind totally negate most of the effects of any flea spot treatments like Advantage, Frontline and so on.... so that might be why your flea situation is taking so long to get under control, it could just be that it hasn't been allowed to do the job properly.

Some breeds of dogs are more likely to be allergic to dog biscuits, if you have switched to vet approved food pay particular attention to what is in all of the dried food and by using the elimination method see if any particular elements in the dry food seem to make it worse or better.

Finally it could be just plain boredom if you both work all day and he likes kennels. Maybe try a doggy day care centre once or twice a week where your dog can play with other dogs or find a friend that has dogs where he could go once or twice a week to be around and play with a pack of his own kind.

I desperately looked into doggy day care, but I leave the house at 6 in the morning and FI leaves soon after. Besides the astronomical costs of anything dog related in LA (seriously... People will pay ANYTHING for their dogs to get spa days here, what the heck?), it also just isn't feasible based on our schedules.

Sometimes I feel like an awful mom when I compare myself to people who spend all day and go the extra mile for their babies. But I have to remind myself that I still care very well for him, and have his best interest at heart. I commute for 2.5 hours a day, so I'm gone from the house at least 10.5 hours :(

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mjr1|1453345291|3978899 said:
Allegra is not benadryl. They are both antihistamines. Allegra is Fexofenadine. Benadryl is Diphenhydramine.

Thanks! So I tried the Claritin again, no bueno. He doesn't even get sleepy/drowsy on it.

I very much look forward to my weekend with the vet techs of the family, and am hoping I get more answers re: blood paneling. Maybe FSIl can help me with the dietary changes, if necessary.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
madelise|1453372746|3978994 said:
I desperately looked into doggy day care, but I leave the house at 6 in the morning and FI leaves soon after. Besides the astronomical costs of anything dog related in LA (seriously... People will pay ANYTHING for their dogs to get spa days here, what the heck?), it also just isn't feasible based on our schedules.

Sometimes I feel like an awful mom when I compare myself to people who spend all day and go the extra mile for their babies. But I have to remind myself that I still care very well for him, and have his best interest at heart. I commute for 2.5 hours a day, so I'm gone from the house at least 10.5 hours :(

You are not an awful mom! It's hard to be a pet owner and balance their needs with your schedule. I don't know if it's a thing where you are, but in my area they have companies that offer "playtime visits" which is similar to hiring a dog walker. Someone comes by your house for 30min or 1hr and plays with your dog, takes them out to pee, etc. Just some social stimulation during a long day. That might be an alternative to daycare.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
madelise|1453372746|3978994 said:
arkieb1|1453344516|3978889 said:

How about people you know? Older friends that could take him now and then and dogsit him for free during the day, friends that have dogs that he might be able to spend a day or two with now and then. Some dogs don't do well on their own, they need human or animal company to feel happy. Would he get along with other types of animals like a cat or some other creature that could keep him company.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:( no, no one dear to us for an hour away. I hate living where I do. I miss my friends and family.

Q

Queenie60

Just a thought - I have two small maltese dogs and I take them on very long walks. They will rest and sleep for a long time after. I take them 3 miles a few times per week and about one mile on the other days. Does a world of good for them, I know you work full time but just a thought. You could check your local vet to see if anyone has posted dog walking services? This could help the boredom and may allow him to forget about the chewing and licking! Good luck, I know how trying it can be as our pets are our kids.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results