shape
carat
color
clarity

Pics of "L" color...??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shoemortgage1979

Rough_Rock
Since I have asked about the "L" colored diamonds, does anyone have a pic of theirs or a diamond close to an "L"??
34.gif
I would really like to see if I pick up on any tint or not...thank you!!!
37.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
seeing an online pic of what might be an ''l'' color is no way to try and dertermine whether or not you would be able to pick up color. there are too many factors affecting what you may or may not see.....these not being limited to; the actual color grade, the cut of the diamond, and your own computer monitor. if you are truly interested in a diamond with ''l'' color, you need to see it in person to determine whether or not you like it.
best of luck to you!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Belle is absolutely right--seeing pics on line isn''t going to substitute what something looks like in person (esp. w/ a fancy)

BUT....if you go to www.faycullen.com there are a lot of warmer stones there just for reference, plus I think one of the Pear ladies has an L on the show me the pear thread. But I''d be sure to trust your eyes in person above all else.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I triple the agreement with the above responses - a picture on a computer monitor may give you an idea of color but cannot compare to seeing the stone in person. On the pear thread I believe there should be a K stone (Mary Alaina's) and an L stone (KittyKat's)...but I definitely agree you need to see one in person.

ETA: here's the pear thread I'm talking about.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/1/2005 3:36:41 PM
Author: FireGoddess

On the pear thread I believe there should be a K stone (Mary Alaina's) and an L stone (KittyKat's)...
This remainds me... Maryalaina has her pear photographed near diamonds of different color grades on her hand. Take a look on her website maryalaina.com, there are more pictures like this.

marquise4.jpg

2cts K pear, 2.3 cts I round and 1 ct G marq.

That picture shows allot of color, shots on hand and in new halo seting show different faces of the same stone. And it definitely shows how the facet patern of the pear plays color on and off - a round or step cut would not have any critical point (pun intended - the tip of pears tells color grade best) like that.

In yellow gold or an old cut, I would definitely prefer softer white. What do you have in mind ? "sevens one" has a 2 carat K color round (here) and there is one 3 carat H&A M you might want to take a look at (search for "Stephan's stone") as well.

Diamondsbylauren.com presents color grades in pictues on this page.
34.gif

Hope some of this helps
1.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Here's my F/G on the left and my K/L on the right. Both are set in platinum.

They're both my grandmothers' engagement diamonds. The F/G, from Mom's mother, is a transition cut from 1929. The K/L, from Dad's mother, is an Old European cut.

The pic looks a bit light to me. In real life, the K/L looks a touch yellowish next to the F/G.

heirloomrings1.jpg

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Glitterata --
Your heirloom rings are MAGNIFICENT!!!
I''m green with envy
21.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Headlight! I adore them for their memories as well as their sparkle.

At the risk of boring people who''ve read my other posts about these rings, the F/G is in its original deco setting from 1929. The K/L spent several decades in a pinky ring on my grandfather''s hand; after he died, my grandmother reset it in a necklace to give me as a graduation present. I rarely wear necklaces, though, so I recently reset it in a reproduction setting from antiqueengagementrings.com. I wanted something from the period when Grandpa gave the diamond to Grandma as an engagement ring, the early 1920s. (She gave it back to him as a pinky ring for an anniversary.)

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glitterata, at the risk of repeating myself - I LOVE the original deco setting on the left...LOVE IT!!!!! Is there a thread with more pics of that ring?

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/1/2005 5:01:54 PM
Author: headlight
Glitterata --
Your heirloom rings are MAGNIFICENT!!!
I''m green with envy
21.gif
Ditto!
30.gif
3.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/1/2005 6:54:17 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Glitterata, at the risk of repeating myself - I LOVE the original deco setting on the left...LOVE IT!!!!! Is there a thread with more pics of that ring?
i agree! nice to see your rings again glitterata!! love them!
18.gif

fg, there are a couple more pics in here along with many many other beauties!
3.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks belle! *drool*

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Here is my M pear. An L should be slightly whiter. I have had it set in yellow gold and now, in white gold.

pear collage.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Goodness, you wearers of all those beauties are envying me?

We have a new, better camera now--I should figure out how to make it take close ups and post some.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Glitterata, your heirloom rings are really beautiful, but their history makes them priceless. Thanks for sharing them again.

Shoemortgage, my original e-ring stone is "more or less" an L colored stone (pre-certs -- for all I know it might be even lower on the color scale.) In a yellow gold setting I really didn''t see the color, but someone did notice it once and asked. (yikes!
23.gif
)I''ve since set it in a white gold pendant, and the color is apparant, but even more so in pictures. Take what you see in pictures with a big grain of salt. Between the computers and the cameras, you''ve lost the exactness to be able to make any judgement by. My stone is a vey pretty stone -- even with it''s "off-color" as recent jewelers have called it. The color doesn''t bother me in a pendant at all -- it''s part of it''s personality, but if I posted it here it might scare you off. You really have to see themin person to be able to decide what you think.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/1/2005 4:53:42 PM
Author: glitterata
Here''s my F/G on the left and my K/L on the right. Both are set in platinum.

They''re both my grandmothers'' engagement diamonds. The F/G, from Mom''s mother, is a transition cut from 1929. The K/L, from Dad''s mother, is an Old European cut.

The pic looks a bit light to me. In real life, the K/L looks a touch yellowish next to the F/G.

heirloomrings1.jpg
glitterata
WOW!!! beautiful rings ,your grandparents must of been loaded with $$$ to afford that kind of ring during the depressions.
6.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Actually, it was before the Depression.

The grandparents who got married in 1929 came home from their honeymoon to find that the stock market had crashed. Grandma used to tell a story about how the hemlines fell along with the stock market, so all the short flapper dresses in her trousseau were too short & she spent the first few weeks of her married life sewing. Her wedding dress was a short, apple-green silk dress with a crepe scarf around the neckline. She had to cut off the scarf and sew it around the bottom of the dress. She came from a poor immigrant family with five daughters, so her wedding dress was her best dress and she needed to be able to wear it again. No one-time-only white gown for her. Grandpa was a young lawyer just starting out in life at the time. I have no idea how he could afford a 1.4 carat diamond of fairly high quality (F, VS or VVS at the time; has a chip now that makes it VS1).

During the worst of the Depression Grandpa always had a job, so they helped out the rest of the family a lot. And Grandma's sisters kept dying in childbirth, so they took in the babies, eventually adopting one of them--my (late) uncle was my mother's biological cousin.

The other grandparents got married in 1921, which was well before the Depression. Their diamond was even bigger (1.65 ct), but it was a K/L SI2, so not as high quality. Again, immigrants and not particularly well to do. Grandpa was starting out in business when they got married. Were diamonds cheaper back then, relative to other things?

Grandpa carried around a silver dollar from 1921 in his wallet his whole life as a sort of token commemorating their marriage; Dad gave it to me as a wedding present, and now I carry it in my wallet.
Once I got stopped by airport security--"What's that round metal object in your wallet, ma'am?"
"Grandpa's lucky silver dollar."
The security guard turned out to be a coin collector, and he got all excited about it. It's not particularly rare or valuable--worth about $7--but of course priceless to me.

Forgive me for taking this thread off on such a long tangent...

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2005 10:42:25 AM
Actually, it was before the Depression.

The grandparents who got married in 1929 came home from their honeymoon to find that the stock market had crashed. Grandma used to tell a story about how the hemlines fell along with the stock market, so all the short flapper dresses in her trousseau were too short & she spent the first few weeks of her married life sewing. Her wedding dress was a short, apple-green silk dress with a crepe scarf around the neckline. She had to cut off the scarf and sew it around the bottom of the dress. She came from a poor immigrant family with five daughters, so her wedding dress was her best dress and she needed to be able to wear it again. No one-time-only white gown for her. Grandpa was a young lawyer just starting out in life at the time. I have no idea how he could afford a 1.4 carat diamond of fairly high quality (F, VS or VVS at the time; has a chip now that makes it VS1).

During the worst of the Depression Grandpa always had a job, so they helped out the rest of the family a lot. And Grandma''s sisters kept dying in childbirth, so they took in the babies, eventually adopting one of them--my (late) uncle was my mother''s biological cousin.

The other grandparents got married in 1921, which was well before the Depression. Their diamond was even bigger (1.65 ct), but it was a K/L SI2, so not as high quality. Again, immigrants and not particularly well to do. Grandpa was starting out in business when they got married. Were diamonds cheaper back then, relative to other things?

Grandpa carried around a silver dollar from 1921 in his wallet his whole life as a sort of token commemorating their marriage; Dad gave it to me as a wedding present, and now I carry it in my wallet.
Once I got stopped by airport security--''What''s that round metal object in your wallet, ma''am?''
''Grandpa''s lucky silver dollar.''
The security guard turned out to be a coin collector, and he got all excited about it. It''s not particularly rare or valuable--worth about $7--but of course priceless to me.

Forgive me for taking this thread off on such a long tangent...
thanks for sharing this part you your history with us glitterata!
1.gif

(this is all very pertinent to l color stones
2.gif
)

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Yes, well, back to L color stones...

My K/L, which the appraiser told me is probably closer to L than K, does look warm in certain lights. Particularly daylight, particularly if it''s near a more colorless diamond. But it''s not yellow like a lemon, it''s a much more subtle thing.

It''s like the different colors of "white" in the paint store. You can get a glaring, white-white-white white, or a subtly pinkish white, or a white with a touch of cream in it, or a white with a cool, gray cast to it. They''re all white, though. My L is a slightly creamy. I prefer the color of the F--and I prefer a flat white on my walls, too--but I could easily imagine someone liking the L (or slightly cream-tinted walls) better.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2005 11:03:45 AM
Yes, well, back to L color stones...

My K/L, which the appraiser told me is probably closer to L than K, does look warm in certain lights. Particularly daylight, particularly if it''s near a more colorless diamond. But it''s not yellow like a lemon, it''s a much more subtle thing.

It''s like the different colors of ''white'' in the paint store. You can get a glaring, white-white-white white, or a subtly pinkish white, or a white with a touch of cream in it, or a white with a cool, gray cast to it. They''re all white, though. My L is a slightly creamy. I prefer the color of the F--and I prefer a flat white on my walls, too--but I could easily imagine someone liking the L (or slightly cream-tinted walls) better.
Those are amazing diamonds, and I enjoyed the history behind them. I agree -- they are all white, it''s just some are creamy. I especially like the K/L/Ms in the old mine and old european cuts.

I think the warmer colors are going to get more popular as diamond prices increase. They can be a real bargain, IMO, because you can get an excellent cut and clarity, as well as a larger stone, for less money. I imagine that if they gain some amount of popularity, they will become more expensive relative to the more colorless diamonds.

DiamondLover23

Shiny_Rock
This is an ideal H&A in "K" color.

72H&A resized renamed.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results