shape
carat
color
clarity

Should Women Over 40 Cut Off Their Hair?

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1450013935|3960907 said:
I am 50 and I don't subscribe to rules like these. I do what I feel is best for me and my appearance and right now that is to keep my hair length at below my shoulders. Attaching some recent hair pics. I think it is ridiculous to follow rules that tell you how you should wear your hair/clothes/jewelry etc. Do what makes you feel good. You're not hurting anyone keeping your hair short or long right? So do what you want to do and stop listening to what others think you should do.

You rock your long hair Naty girl! Looks fantastic on you! And you too Andelain! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Hehe Gypsy, I thought 50 was the new 30 and 40 is the new 20. That's my thinking anyway. :cheeky:

:o :o :o Missy... !!! Your hair is GORGEOUS!!! You look STUNNING! You are one of the kindest and sweetest ladies here on PS and it's so great to see that you are equally wonderful on the outside, as you are on the inside :appl: :appl: :appl:

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1450017396|3960924 said:
Oh heck no!

I love my long hair. Once my hair is silver, I plan on looking like this woman.

gray.jpg

:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I chopped my hair off a few years ago-before I turned 40. I miss it sometimes, but my hair just isn't meant to be long anymore I don't think. I don't have a personal stylist and I can't take the time during the day when I'm at work to primp and comb it *just so*, so that it falls beautifully like I'm in a commercial or I'm between takes on a tv show, or right before I walk out into the adoring public's eye. My hair has always ended up looking stringy. So I'd get perms. And those have been "out" for a long time so I quit getting them. And end up pulling my hair up in a ponytail 356 days a year. No point.

My hair has changed now, I suppose hormones from having the kids. My entire life up until pregnancy, it was stick straight and cobwebby. It got super thick after the kids (not as thick now 12 years after the first baby) and has some sort of tight wave to it that resembles a..I don't even know what. Poodle maybe. But only in the back, and only underneath. Less of a wave on top in the back, no wave to the front. It's ridiculous, seriously. I've had hairdressers say "what the heck is going on w/your hair woman why is it like this??" and I'm like I DON'T KNOW! :wall: I've heard of women shaving their heads and it comes back different--and honestly I'm about half stinking tempted to try it and see what happens.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I always find things like this odd.... unless you're breaking the law, hurting others, etc, saying "should" or "shouldn't" do x, y, or z is irrelevant. If a woman wants long hair, have long hair. If a woman wants short hair, have short hair. I don't think it matters what anyone thinks about a woman's hair because it's up to the individual woman on how she wants to wear it.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm in my mid-fifties with hair length just above my shoulders - the same place it's (usually) been since I was 25! That's what looks best for me. I've grown it out longer and had it cut pixie short, but just above the shoulders suits my face best.

Many women look great with longer hair, and if they're lucky enough to also have great hair, more power to them!

Carrie, Bonnie, Emmylou, Sheryl and Stevie all rocking lots of hair. Only Carrie is under 40!

carrie-underwood-660.jpg

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
OF COURSE WE SHOULD

And then buy the polyester floral dresses with the crystal buttons and orthopedic shoes to go with the "I give up haircut". :Up_to_something:

eta: We recently saw Judy Collins in concert and she has he most gorgeous long, shiny grey hair. She's pushing 70 and looks fabulous!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amber St. Clare|1450046125|3961021 said:
OF COURSE WE SHOULD

And then buy the polyester floral dresses with the crystal buttons and orthopedic shoes to go with the "I give up haircut". :Up_to_something:

eta: We recently saw Judy Collins in concert and she has he most gorgeous long, shiny grey hair. She's pushing 70 and looks fabulous!

I was thinking Alfred Dunner and Koret or whatever "mature" lady mass-produced brands are the epitome of geriatric fashion now.

LOL at "I Give Up Haircut."

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
My hair is very long and I am about to turn 60 -here is my hair - natural color - grey and blonde. There are no rules - whatever style you want is ok after 40. 8-)

long_hair2.jpg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At 56 my hair is short but it's because of the texture. It just falls into place and my oval face looks better this way. Wear it how ever fits your face and style. Long and stringy is not attractive on any age and short pixie doesn't fit everyone.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Darn tootin' women need to cut off their hair at 40!

You think you can just do what you want with your hair because its yours!?!?

Now stop all this foolishness and get over to my hairdresser's! She's expecting you.

And get yourself a decent frock while you're at it! You look like a floozy!

mean-old-lady.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: :appl: December-fire, I love it!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What did I tell you!?!?

First it was the right to vote!

Now its wantin' to do what you want with your hair!

Next thing you know, they'll want to be President of the United States of America!

We're all going to Hell in a hand basket!

crabby-old-lady.jpg

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
december-fire|1450053740|3961058 said:
What did I tell you!?!?

First it was the right to vote!

Now its wantin' to do what you want with your hair!

Next thing you know, they'll want to be President of the United States of America!

We're all going to Hell in a hand basket!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: December-fire.... you are amazing!!! :D :D :D

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1450013935|3960907 said:
Hehe Gypsy, I thought 50 was the new 30 and 40 is the new 20. That's my thinking anyway. :cheeky:

I remember my 20's. And I just turned 40. There's too much a difference there for me to buy that. LOL. But in a good way. Yes, physically it would be nice to be 20. But mentally and emotionally I'm so much happier now.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
No! I didn't! I like my hair. Its around shoulder blade length. I will say that my late grandma use to get so upset with me for not cutting my hair once I turned 40! I loved her dearly, but that was one sore topic to the point it was a joke that my kids would count how many times she would comment on my hair when I visited. Oh, and to make matters worse- I stopped coloring it around 43. I'm not very white, but definitely have salt and pepper going on (my hair is naturally dark). She believed all women should color their hair, and wear it short after age 40.

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
This is mine, I plan on keeping it as long as I think it looks good. I'm 47.

fullsizerender_2__0.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, cut it right off. Obviously you're too old. :whistle:

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
MishB said:
This is mine, I plan on keeping it as long as I think it looks good. I'm 47.

You've got a great head of hair and it suits your pretty face. That style is definitely a keeper and probably makes you look younger than if you had a shorter 'do.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1450082533|3961176 said:
Nope, cut it right off. Obviously you're too old. :whistle:

Too old for what? :naughty:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No! I love long hair. I recently cut mine, and am regretting it, but letting it grow out again. The only time someone should cut their hair is if a) they feel like it, or b) they are no longer able to take care of it. For example if I were in an accident and not able to wash my waist length hair (what it was previously), I would not issues chopping it to make my life easier.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
MishB, your hair and look is gorgeous - and a perfect example of being over 40 and looking great with long hair.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
I think every woman should do exactly what she wants to do with her hair. And with all her other body parts, for that matter. My grandmother kept her long coiled braids until she was in her mid-90s and found it too tiring to shampoo and dry long hair. My mother joyfully cut hers very short when she was about 18 and never looked back. Just do what looks good and feels good for you!

But for every gorgeous older woman I know with a thick mane or braid or pony tail of long hair, gray or not, there are 20 older women with very short and unflattering haircuts that make them look like former nuns or recent brain-surgery patients. I presume it is their hairdressers who talk them into those cuts and the ugly corkscrew permanents that go with them. They require a lot of expensive maintenance.

I still wear the collar-length hairdo I have had since I was 30. My colorist is trying to talk me into highlights instead of my "normal" color of brown, because my white roots start to show between treatments. I solve this by making hats my trademark, and I get lots of compliments on them. (P.S. I turn 69 next month.)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
december-fire|1450052454|3961051 said:
Darn tootin' women need to cut off their hair at 40!

You think you can just do what you want with your hair because its yours!?!?

Now stop all this foolishness and get over to my hairdresser's! She's expecting you.

And get yourself a decent frock while you're at it! You look like a floozy!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

SandyCheeks

Brilliant_Rock
I'm with MishB, I'm 46 and enjoy shoulder length hair. I cut and color myself. Someday I might go short for fun but I'm enjoying the length .

_1088.jpeg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm loving the long hair on you ladies! Gorgeous, long locks :love: .

Now seriously, everyone looks super young for their age. Pony up the skin care secrets!!!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Here is my 43 year old self with long hair, and loving it. I remember my mom in her 30's with Dorothy Hamill short cut, and by the time she was in her 40's she had the granny perm. Not for me mom. Thank you for asking.

_35611.jpg

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have some seriously attractive 40 plus women here. Wow.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to add my mom who is in her 70's has lovely long hair that she has never colored. It is salt and pepper with mostly gray and some very dark brown and she mainly wears it back but it looks elegant nonetheless. Rock it ladies!

Honestly that short hair "rule" is passé and has been for a long time.

I also want to add that I find my long hair relatively easy to care for. I just wash, condition and go. I usually air dry unless it is freezing outside and I don't have a few hours for it to dry naturally before I have to go out. Then I do a quick hair dryer with diffuser for a couple of minutes and leave with it less wet. I don't find long hair challenging to care for at all compared to short hair which has to be cut more often to look neat IMO. I get my hair cut maybe 3 times a year. My main issue is it getting in the way of things so I wear it with the sides back most days to keep it out of my way.

Naty, thank you! And back at ya. :wavey:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a neighbor aged 55 to 60 I'd guess.
Not all gray hair is the same color and her long hair is solid bright shocking white.
It is frizzy and dry. :knockout:
She looks like she's being electrocuted.
She really looks like the worst Before picture you've ever seen in a hair product ad, or like one of those cheap Halloween witch wigs.

I think it looks awful, but I fight my reaction to it.
Shouldn't I just accept everyone gets to look however they want?
It's tough.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny said:
I have a neighbor aged 55 to 60 I'd guess.
Not all gray hair is the same color and her long hair is solid bright shocking white.
It is frizzy and dry. :knockout:
She looks like she's being electrocuted.
She really looks like the worst Before picture you've ever seen in a hair product ad, or like one of those cheap Halloween witch wigs.

I think it looks awful, but I fight my reaction to it.
Shouldn't I just accept everyone gets to look however they want?
It's tough.

Well, you could give her a Christmas gift of a trip to a salon. A little pampering from which you'll both benefit. :think:

Or you could offer to do it yourself. Make sure to provide a relaxing scalp massage during the shampooing! So wonderful! :D

On a serious note:
- she may not care what she looks like,
- she may think she looks great, or
- she may be frantically trying to juggle multiple life demands. Unfortunately, very common these days with work, aging/ill family members, etc.

If she's a nice person just trying to cope with life's demands as best she can, then more power to her and who cares what she looks like.

I'd offer her smiles and friendly chit-chat, and wouldn't give her hair a second thought.

But she'd probably love a leisurely scalp massage from you, Kenny. :Up_to_something:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results