shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher Traded-My New 2-Carat WF Pendant! (LM Left Over)

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Re: Asscher Traded-My New 2-Carat WF Pendant! (LM Left Over

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS IDEA?

Some possible modifications:

1. I'm a little nervous about such a large diamond on a single chain. What if I were to double the chain? How would that look? That way if one breaks, I don't necessarily lose the diamond.

2. I'm not sure if the diamond tipping forward will continue to bother me or not. What if WF were to modify the setting by opening a gallery where the 3 prongs come together and set a surprise diamond in there? I'm thinking that would add additional weight to the back of the setting so it's more balanced.

What do you think?

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

starryeyed said:
athenaworth said:
It's gorgeous!

Now, I've done a little stalking of you - have you ever posted pics of your ering?
Thanks athenaworth! You're so funny! No - I haven't posted e-ring photos, nor wedding band photos. :naughty:

Why you gotta be such a tease???? ;-)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gorgeous, btw I like the modifications you are thinking about doing :love:

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock

athenaworth said:
[
Why you gotta be such a tease???? ;-)
I'm just not a "bare-all" kinda gal! ;))

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock

Skippy123 said:
Thanks Skippy! Nice to see you! I was wondering if you were still around.

I appreciate your reply about the modifications. I've been having a harder time getting input on this project compared to the past.

I'm not sure about the surprise diamond at the back - it may be major surgery because the place where the prongs come together is really close to the culet. Hmmm.

I think I'll feel more secure with a double chain - will that look ok?

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

starryeyed said:
Skippy123 said:
Thanks Skippy! Nice to see you! I was wondering if you were still around.

I appreciate your reply about the modifications. I've been having a harder time getting input on this project compared to the past.

I'm not sure about the surprise diamond at the back - it may be major surgery because the place where the prongs come together is really close to the culet. Hmmm.

I think I'll feel more secure with a double chain - will that look ok?
starryeyed, let me see if I can help.
I have two pendants made with a very thin chain like yours. One is platinum, and the other is 18K gold. Both feel very light and dainty, and the gold feels much lighter. Like you, I have concern about safety. Moreover, I prefer something a bit more substantial for my 21-mm Circle of Life pendant. Therefore, I took Traci's great advice to get a double chain. I am so glad that I did. The double chains make my pendant feel more substantial and safe, and they also make it look more unique and modern looking. As for your 2-ct diamond, I am not sure if the proportion is OK. For your reference, my center stone measures 6.6mm in diameter and the COL has a diameter of 21mm. Refer to last 2 photos.

Regarding the flipping problem, I have a suggestion for modification of your current setting. As is now, the chain is attached at two and ten o'clock. You may want to have attachment rings placed in the back at one and eleven o'clock like mine. See 1st photo showing the backside of my pendant. The fix is relatively simple and inexpensive (as compared to getting a new setting). Worth trying.

WF picture3.jpg

Frontside.jpg

Backside.jpg

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock

I'm so glad you posted FancyDiamond! :wavey: I did a search for "double chain" and your pendant poll came up. I then checked your other threads and saw how the double chains came out - the piece looks great! Then I saw your thread where you were inspired by my pear pendant - I'm flattered. Both pendants are lovely. Do you have any trouble with the pear flipping over?

I understand what you mean about sliding the location of where the chain attaches. However, on my pendant, the loops are actually mounted on the prongs, so I don't have the ability to change the location really. If I mounted the loops on the basket ring (in order to achieve what you suggest) I think it could make the problem worse, since the loops are currently slightly forward of this ring. To balance the pendant, I think I need to move the center of gravity back, or move the loops further forward up the prongs. Does that make sense?

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

starryeyed said:
I'm so glad you posted FancyDiamond! :wavey: I did a search for "double chain" and your pendant poll came up. I then checked your other threads and saw how the double chains came out - the piece looks great! Then I saw your thread where you were inspired by my pear pendant - I'm flattered. Both pendants are lovely. Do you have any trouble with the pear flipping over?

I understand what you mean about sliding the location of where the chain attaches. However, on my pendant, the loops are actually mounted on the prongs, so I don't have the ability to change the location really. If I mounted the loops on the basket ring (in order to achieve what you suggest) I think it could make the problem worse, since the loops are currently slightly forward of this ring. To balance the pendant, I think I need to move the center of gravity back, or move the loops further forward up the prongs. Does that make sense?
No, My pear pendant does not flip when I wear it. I guess my body keeps in in place. The only time the pendant has a chance to swing is when I lean forward. When I straighten my body, the pendant goes back in position, never flipping.

As for your pendant, it is best if you post a few photos showing the back view (at various angles). This way, all of us have a chance to think of a solution. Lastly, I would ask Leon/WF to suggest a solution as well. For now without knowing exactly how the backside looks, I have not yet given up the idea of moving the chains closer to the center (method may help the balancing problem a bit). Perhaps, we need some kind of a bridge to accomplish this.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock

Thanks for thinking about this with me FancyDiamond. I'm not sure if this picture helps - it's the empty setting. I'll try to take a few pictures of the back of mine also.

Empty Martini pendant.jpg

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock

These are quick pictures with my phone's camera. See how the loops are mounted to the prongs and the location is forward of that basket ring? Studying it more, I think the angle of the loops could be changed too. I don't want to mess too much with the simplicity of this setting, so it's tough.

pendant back3.jpg

pendant back2.jpg

pendant back1.jpg

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I am thinking about adding a bridge at the top and in the back (see red lines). Be means of this curved bridge, you can attach the rings for holding the double chains. The bridge, with its placement amd extra weights, should help reposition the center of gravity. Just make sure that the rings and bridge are well hidden behind the diamond. I do not like to see rabbit ears. :rolleyes:

I hope I have done a good job describing the possible fix.

Starry copy.jpg

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock

Thanks Fancy - I understand completely what you are suggesting. Thanks so much for taking the time to try to help me with this.

It looks like the bridge would work on the empty setting, but looking at the actual, I'm not so sure. The problem that I see is that the basket ring is pretty close to the girdle already. The distance between the basket ring and the girdle is about the same as the thickness of the ring. So the front of the bridge would sit right at the girdle and there's no way to hide the mouse ears.

The flipping isn't too too bad, although it does happen.... :sick:

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Try again with your photo showing back side.

Starry fix.jpg

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

starryeyed said:
Thanks Fancy - I understand completely what you are suggesting. Thanks so much for taking the time to try to help me with this.

It looks like the bridge would work on the empty setting, but looking at the actual, I'm not so sure. The problem that I see is that the basket ring is pretty close to the girdle already. The distance between the basket ring and the girdle is about the same as the thickness of the ring. So the front of the bridge would sit right at the girdle and there's no way to hide the mouse ears.

The flipping isn't too too bad, although it does happen.... :sick:

The bridge can be attached directly on the basket ring. Show the idea to Leon/WF. He'll figure a way to address your concern, especially about thickness.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock

Thanks Fancy. I appreciate the sketch - it has helped me think about what you've proposed. Don't hate me for saying this, but I'm not loving it. It may work, but because it's a new piece, I'd rather have a comprehensive functional design from the start, rather than trying to retrofit. This isn't an easy problem and you've certainly come up with a creative solution. And you have been one of the only PS'ers who has tried to help me. :(sad

I do really appreciate your input! ::)

The problem with short pendants is that you can't wear it AND gaze at the stone for hours! :love:

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock

WOW!!! :love: :love: It's just gorgeous!

iota15

Brilliant_Rock

Why don't you attach the two loops directly on the basket at the 11 and 1 orientation, as FancyDiamond suggested?

Double chains also sounds like a good idea - and one with a good, secure clasp.

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

starryeyed said:
Thanks Sparkly! :wavey:

I tried to photoshop a double chain and have posted a Poll over in Rocky Talk - please help me with your opinions - single or double. https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ith-my-pendant-single-or-double-chain.149299/

FancyDiamond, you went radio-silent. I hope I didn't hurt your feelings..... :sick:
I don't have anything else to add. My feelings are not hurt, and I understand your preference. I do not like bandage-solutions either. I throw out ideas, expecting someone else or you to build on them. Ultimately, we should rely on Leon from WF to help. Somehow he always has great and workable solutions. We just need to sort out what we want and be able to communicate to him clearly.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock

FancyDiamond said:
I don't have anything else to add. My feelings are not hurt, and I understand your preference. I do not like bandage-solutions either. I throw out ideas, expecting someone else or you to build on them. Ultimately, we should rely on Leon from WF to help. Somehow he always has great and workable solutions. We just need to sort out what we want and be able to communicate to him clearly.
Ok, whew! :)) Looking at it more, I think the loops just need to be adjusted.

iota, the reason I think I can't just put the loops on the basket ring is because the basket ring is further back than where the loops are currently attached. If I move them further back, I think I make the problem worse. That's why Fancy suggested the bridge.

Lenamama

Shiny_Rock

OHHHHHH! That is fanstatical!!! lol :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock

Here's what I thought might fix the flipping problem. The picture on the left shows how the diamond currently hangs. The one on the right shows the loops reset to be perpendicular to the direction of hang, rather than perpendicular to the prong.

Do you think this will work?

2.008 Pendant Fix Idea1.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is a gorgeous diamond, Starry! I hope you can get the setting adjusted so that it hangs right!

Have you ever posted your ering? We need to see that, too!

Wieke

Rough_Rock

hi Starry, I was just wondering what happened to your left over LM setting in the end?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results