carat
color
clarity

Help! Need technical/informed help with this James Meyer OEC

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Help! Need technical/informed help with this James Meyer

Oh wow I think it looks beautiful! What are your thoughts Sunnydelta, are you happy with what you see? It's a shame you have to wait a few weeks!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

That looks marvelous! FWIW, I wear an EGL S-T (so conceivably GIA U-V or lower) OMC on my right hand, and I can't say that it looks straight-up yellow in too many lighting situations. Creamy or steely, yes, but unless I wear it right next to a whiter stone or eternity (which I sometimes do on purpose, to play up the color), not so much with the yellow. I suspect you're going to love it!

SunnyDelta

Rough_Rock

Hi Junebug,

I think I'm just overthinking everything (and have been all along). I honestly had mixed feelings when I opened his email and scrolled through the photos. The first picture (face up) I thought was gorgeous and the completed ring as a whole looks simply beautiful….when I scrolled down to the last two photos though I was surprised to see such a deep yellow hue.

I think though in person (and natural light) my impressions will be different because the ring will no longer be highly magnified, as they are in the pics, and my mind will no longer dissect it into components. The ring will just appear as a whole and beautiful object (piece of art) and my reaction to it will be more emotionally genuine than all the overthinking I’m doing while looking at these photographs. I really hope I will love it!

SunnyDelta

Rough_Rock

Hi Circe,

That’s very encouraging! I have scoured the internet trying to find old cuts in this color range and they are very hard to find. Sometimes I see pictures of low-colored diamonds that I love and other times I see stones that don’t appeal to me. I am emotionally invested in the process at this point and want more than anything to love this ring!

I would love to see pictures of your ring if you don’t mind sharing 

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's gorgeous! The yellow will always show looking at the profile more than face up, at these colors diamonds are often chameleon like, different shades in different lighting, either way it will be amazing!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

I think it's gorgeous! I'm so excited for you to see it in real life and share photos. I hope you love it, too. :love:

SunnyDelta

Rough_Rock

Thank you Assherhalo,

I hope it will be amazing too! You are right about the really low colored diamonds being chameleons..... looking different from different angles and in different lighting…with the yellow being more pronounced from the side than face up.

I am no expert, but I have also noticed that once you get this far down on the color spectrum the diamond’s color can also have different hues and intensities within its own color grade. I don't think grading labs report all the subtle nuances of color until they get into the fancy-colored diamond ranges. I have seen pictures of GIA U-V old cut diamonds that appear like M’s or higher!.... and others that look like fancy yellows. Some that have a greenish cast and others with a brownish cast with no mention of it in the lab reports. I’m sure some of what I’m seeing is due to different photographic conditions….but gosh it’s confusing!!

I am just rolling the dice here without seeing the diamond in person and hoping for the best!

SunnyDelta

Rough_Rock

Thanks Rubybeth,

I think the ring is gorgeous too....I drool over anything James Meyer! Fingers crossed about the diamond....I can't wait to see it in person!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It looks beautiful to me, but I'll admit to being biased. I hope it's love at first sight when you finally get to see it in person!

SunnyDelta

Rough_Rock

Thanks VRBeauty!

It looks beautiful to me too! In Jim's last email (when he delivered the latest pics) he commented again on the diamonds qualities. He said, "the stone has a beautiful color range and can look quite different in various lights. It's well proportioned and cut… and always looks lively, which is very important."

I can see that it's fiery even in the studio pics, which makes me feel optimistic :) I don't recall seeing any of Jim's other engagement rings with a diamond this low on the color spectrum, so it must be exceptionally cut, or have other qualities that made him "pick it" among all the other diamonds he looks at.

This is an important ring for us and I want it to be "the one"....I don't want to look down at my finger over the years and feel a twinge of regret because I don't love the color. If this were a right hand ring or a pendant I would have no hesitations, but I am still not sure about this diamond "as my forever engagement diamond".....and I guess I won't know until I see it.

SunnyDelta

Rough_Rock

Here are some pics!
img_2746.jpg img_2786.jpg img_2774.jpg img_27742.jpg img_27862.jpg img_27462.jpg

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's beautiful.. I love the stone and the setting!!!

:love: :love: :love:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Omg SunnyDelta, it's GORGEOUS! :love: :love: :love: The stone looks really lively and sparkly and the setting is so pretty - would love to see a profile pic!

How are you feeling about it? I hope you are thrilled!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

REALLY wonderful! :love: You happy???

cheers--Sharon

ariel144

Ideal_Rock

All your choices = perfection...luv it!

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

It's beautiful! But how do you feel about the diamond color now that you've it on your hand?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

I love it!! I think it looks great. How are you feeling about the cut/color now that it's in hand?

SunnyDelta

Rough_Rock

Thanks everyone for all the comments!

It's very different than what I had imagined. I absolutely love the ring, the proportions, the diameter of the diamond, the metals....it's exquisite and impossible to put into words how amazing Jim's work is.

I have been traveling like a maniac for work and that was a sneak peek I stole when my guy wasn't around ;-)
I think I need more time to see the diamond in different lighting. Surprisingly, it is not registering as yellow even though I am picking that up in the photos.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your ring is exquisite, and I'm so glad to hear that you love it! The diamond itself looks spectacular. I'm looking forward to when you can share more, legitimate ;)) photos with us!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

ohhhh my word that is stunning!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That truly is a beautiful work of art - every piece of it! It's gorgeous! :love:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I'm going to mention one thing just because, if it bothers you, now would be the time to have something done about it. I notice that the stone is not set symmetrically. I've noticed that a lot with bezels...I think round stones probably turn as they being set. Hopefully that doesn't bother you (or isn't noticeable at regular viewing distance). I think the stone is lovely! And the metal color is a perfect choice.

SunnyDelta

Rough_Rock

Tourmaline----I hadn't even noticed that before!

I've been so fixated on the cut and color I hadn't even noticed it.....you can only see under magnification, in person its impossible to tell.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results