shape
carat
color
clarity

Things That BUG You That Don't Seem To Bother Anyone Else

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Things That BUG You That Don't Seem To Bother Anyone Els

When television reporters describe a crime scene as "grizzly" rather than "grisly". Usually a bear is not involved.

Hearing someone say veeHICKLE. Just no.

When someone starts their very first sentence with "I mean...." Doesn't I mean come up later as part of an explanation?

Her/him and I

:angryfire:

I'll stop for now

eta: I'm really getting old and cranky!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock

:appl:
missy|1438769311|3911370 said:
jaysonsmom|1438724381|3911152 said:
-Being invited to someone's house for dinner, and there is not enough food!If you're going to be cheap, don't invite people over.
-

This only happened once to us but I will never forget it. LOL. We had just had our friends over to our place (over 15 years ago now) and my dh made a wonderful dinner for everyone. Many options and all delicious and plentiful. As a host you never want to run out of foods or not have enough options so there is something everyone can enjoy.

Anyway these particular friends are very competitive and were very impressed with the wonderful dinner so invited us over to their place the very next weekend for dinner. OMG what a disaster. The food they had was very good *but* they hardly had enough for 2 let alone for 4. :-o OK I know I like to eat and I like not just quality but quantity I admit it but seriously it was not enough food for even 2. Greg and I took tiny portions because there would have been nothing left for the hosts. OMG.

They were clueless about it too. It wasn't about them being cheap I think it was a miscalculation on their parts but they do entertain a lot so maybe their other friends don't eat much? I mean most of her women friends are pretty skinny LOL. Oy we never went back to their place for another meal and instead we just eat out with them now. I don't like being hungry after eating dinner yanno?

Jaysonsmom, you and your family are invited over to our place anytime you are in town. I promise you will have plenty of food and then some. We will send leftovers home with you too. :appl:

YAY!!!! I always like to send people home with leftovers!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock

Dancing Fire|1438760379|3911336 said:
-Being invited to someone's house for dinner, and there is not enough food!If you're going to be cheap, don't invite people over.
-
Note to myself...Don't ever invite J'smom over for dinner b/c she eats like a PIG!... :lol:

My bro and his wife never have enough food for the amount of people they are inviting. He'll make one rack of baby back ribs, and invite my family of 4 over, to eat with his family of 4!!!!

Um....I can eat a whole rack of ribs on a good day! but when we are invited to go over, we make sure we stop at an in-n-out and pick up a burger first!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Amber St. Clare|1438981199|3912302 said:
Hearing someone say veeHICKLE. Just no.

My dad says veehickle. It started I think b/c he was annoyed when we were kids, having to repeat to us "get in the car get in the car" and us being smart asses "that's the truck it's not a car. That's the ram charger, that's not a car"..and it became a growly phrase spoken thru pursed lips and gritted teeth. Get-in-to-the-vee-hickle. HA!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Military pronounced "militree." I hear it pronounced this way on the BBC broadcast on NPR. It always bugs me!

Also nuclear pronounced "nucular" bugs me too. Probably no one else even notices these things!

Last one (for now, lol!), I cannot stand hearing people chew their food. EEEEK!!! It's the worst of the worst for me. AAHHH!!! I need ear plugs!!!!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock

JDDN|1439011303|3912439 said:
Military pronounced "militree." I hear it pronounced this way on the BBC broadcast on NPR. It always bugs me!

Also nuclear pronounced "nucular" bugs me too. Probably no one else even notices these things!

Last one (for now, lol!), I cannot stand hearing people chew their food. EEEEK!!! It's the worst of the worst for me. AAHHH!!! I need ear plugs!!!!

Milltree is the standard pronunciation in Standard Southern British English. Just like library is pronounced "libree".

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

mayerling said:
JDDN|1439011303|3912439 said:

Milltree is the standard pronunciation in Standard Southern British English. Just like library is pronounced "libree".

Yes, I know that -ary is pronounced -ree, but I guess I can be too literal sometimes as the phonetic spelling suggests it to be pronounced with the -ary. I completely realize -ree is standard in England and they aren't pronouncing it incorrectly but it still bothers me!

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock

When I see someone with lovely jewelry that is dirty I just wanna smack them upside the head and yell at them to, ya know, CLEAN IT!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I didn't go through all 6 pages, but I have around 200 "friends" on facebook. The normal ones post things every week, month or so, photos of themselves, current events. There are a couple people I know that literally clog up my entire "home" thread with their posts. They are alternating "humorous" pet/animal postings, a few political postings, but most of all either way too personal posting of what is emotionally/medically/psychologically going on with them, and posts/memes that are along the same vein. One person I looked, I went to her home page because every other post was from her. I stopped counting after over 40 posts in the past 15 hours. I feel these people just don't "get" facebook, what it is there for. It is not to post 50x a day, and then post how you feel depressed. It is not there to be your personal therapist sharing TMI. It is not there to complain about your lack of a job and then ask everyone on your friends list to come to your MLM "party". So, I ended up unfollowing a couple of them.

Another thing that grates on my nerves, is people who will announce, that they are taking a Facebook break. Why do you need to make an announcement? Is Facebook going to close down if you are not posting? If you need to make an announcement you are taking a break from Facebook you are on it way too much.

and the third Facebook related beef, one of the persons above, will post what you should NOT post about. "Oh please do not post about Cecil the Lion! It makes me cry." Then get off Facebook/stop looking at pple's posts.

Facebook is one of those things that is better in small doses and not every day.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

jaysonsmom|1438985505|3912328 said:
Dancing Fire|1438760379|3911336 said:
-
Note to myself...Don't ever invite J'smom over for dinner b/c she eats like a PIG!... :lol:

My bro and his wife never have enough food for the amount of people they are inviting. He'll make one rack of baby back ribs, and invite my family of 4 over, to eat with his family of 4!!!!

Um....I can eat a whole rack of ribs on a good day! but when we are invited to go over, we make sure we stop at an in-n-out and pick up a burger first!
My stepdad grew up really poor. Whenever he would go out and pick up fast food for our family of four, he would come home with one tiny meal and expect us to split it. For instance, he would bring home a three piece meal from Kentucky Fried Chicken that is usually meant for one person. Then he would split it up onto four plates. My mom would get so angry at him! We had the money for food but he couldn't shed his old ways.

It makes me laugh now.

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock

Screwing up the meaning of the words sell and sale :angryfire: And people re-homing their pets on Facebook :angryfire:

ETA: people posting pictures on Facebook of kids not wearing seatbelts and not buckled in their car seats properly :/

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

pet peeve: people using the word "loose" when they really mean "lose". Like nails on a chalkboard.
Loose:
not firmly or tightly fixed in place; detached or able to be detached.
"a loose tooth"
synonyms: not fixed in place, not secure, unsecured, unattached; More
(of a garment) not fitting tightly or closely.
"she slipped into a loose T-shirt and shorts"
synonyms: baggy, generously cut, slack, roomy; More
verb
set free; release.
"the hounds have been loosed"
synonyms: free, set free, unloose, turn loose, set loose, let loose, let go, release; More

Lose:
be deprived of or cease to have or retain (something).
"I've lost my appetite"
synonyms: be deprived of, suffer the loss of; no longer have
"he's lost a lot of blood"
become unable to find (something or someone).
"I've lost the car keys"
synonyms: mislay, misplace, be unable to find, lose track of, leave (behind), fail to keep/retain, fail to keep sight of
"I've lost my watch"

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Amber St. Clare|1439052449|3912517 said:
When I see someone with lovely jewelry that is dirty I just wanna smack them upside the head and yell at them to, ya know, CLEAN IT!

My mom's jewelry is FILTHY and its all $$$ custom jewelry, PLEASE commence with the smacking!!!!

Polished

Brilliant_Rock

When you're in a two way conversation with a friend and they constantly talk over over. I've noticed this recently with a couple of friends. There doesn't seem to be a sense of a two way conversation where you pause to allow the other person to respond. Or rather you're responding, they think of another thought and loudly express it over the top of you. Right I couldn't live without the thought you've just imposed on me.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

Using the "sniff" test as a gauge of, well, anything. REALLY...WHO does that???? :rolleyes:

cheers--Sharon

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Polished|1439280771|3913233 said:
When you're in a two way conversation with a friend and they constantly talk over over. I've noticed this recently with a couple of friends. There doesn't seem to be a sense of a two way conversation where you pause to allow the other person to respond. Or rather you're responding, they think of another thought and loudly express it over the top of you. Right I couldn't live without the thought you've just imposed on me.

This sounds like dinner at my families house :D

(picture 10 people doing the above all at once! Sometimes DH just watches in awe)

You know what's funny though that is almost less annoying than when you're talking to just ONE person and they do this - I have someone like this in my life now. You can see her eyes glazing over the minute you start to talk she can hardly contain herself to blurt out whatever she's thinking. So annoying.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

I saw red this weekend, while visiting an elderly friend in a nursing home, when a nurse got huffy because my friend had visitors! "We need to get in here to do things; I'm sorry if we bother you." Said snippily. What the??? And she knew she was wrong because she later half-a**ed apologized.

Here's my opinion of dealing with patients who are elderly, infirm, debilitated, etc.: If you, as a caregiver (RN, LVN, CNA, whatever) do not like your work . . . do something else!

The price these residents of nursing homes pay is far and away too expensive to be treated as an inconvenience or problem. Or worse, neglected. And the friends and family who take care of so many of the patient's needs by doing their laundry, keeping them socialized, and letting the patient know that they are still cared for . . . that is an equally important job. So stick it in your ear. And be cheerful and respectful when dealing with the patient, because you owe them that much.

End of rant.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

I thought of another one. The person who can only talk about themselves, or their husband, or their kids, or their pet. I realize that this is how most women bond, but some people are just really bad at listening without bringing up a similar scenario or story in their own life, and somehow it's always MUCH better or MUCH worse than whatever you just shared (one-upping, one-downing?). :rolleyes:

Also, people who repeat themselves. Maybe this is just my youth, and I'm not sensitive enough to the aging process, but once I've heard you tell a story, I will remember it and you don't need to tell the same story once every week. I try to be nice and say something like, "Yes, I remember this story..." but they insist on telling it again. :o

iLander

Ideal_Rock

:read:

People that don't return books! Seriously, I have only ONCE gotten a loaned book back, and that was after I pursued the borrower pretty heavily. I wouldn't have bothered, but it was an extremely rare book, and almost irreplaceable.

I've loaned books to my kids' teachers - who you would think would be responsible, because they're teachers - never saw them again. Loans to friends, relatives, neighbors, never saw them again. I even had one person claim I had never actually loaned them the book, :liar: but my witnesses confirmed it to me later, so I knew I wasn't crazy.

I only loan books that I think are great, so they're high on my possible rereads list. I loan books that I think the receiver would have a particular interest in. Then they're lost forever, unless I'm willing to pay twice for the same book. :nono:

So now I don't loan. Nope. :hand:

I'll let you take a picture of it with your phone, for reference. But now I don't loan.

Go get your own damn book. :|

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock

iLander|1439328419|3913457 said:
:read:

People that don't return books! Seriously, I have only ONCE gotten a loaned book back, and that was after I pursued the borrower pretty heavily. I wouldn't have bothered, but it was an extremely rare book, and almost irreplaceable.

I've loaned books to my kids' teachers - who you would think would be responsible, because they're teachers - never saw them again. Loans to friends, relatives, neighbors, never saw them again. I even had one person claim I had never actually loaned them the book, :liar: but my witnesses confirmed it to me later, so I knew I wasn't crazy.

I only loan books that I think are great, so they're high on my possible rereads list. I loan books that I think the receiver would have a particular interest in. Then they're lost forever, unless I'm willing to pay twice for the same book. :nono:

So now I don't loan. Nope. :hand:

I'll let you take a picture of it with your phone, for reference. But now I don't loan.

Go get your own damn book. :|

I'm impressed! You know people who READ? People I know look at me like I'm crazy when I ask them about BOOKS? Apparently if it's not on the internet it's not with people I know. Why buy a book? You can just google what you need to know! I like to hold the book, leaf thru the pages and actually smell the thing. And I like to re-read the darn thing. And I never lend them out. Nobody I know would know what to do with them, anyway! :lol:

iLander

Ideal_Rock

Amber St. Clare|1439328881|3913459 said:
I'm impressed! You know people who READ? People I know look at me like I'm crazy when I ask them about BOOKS? Apparently if it's not on the internet it's not with people I know. Why buy a book? You can just google what you need to know! I like to hold the book, leaf thru the pages and actually smell the thing. And I like to re-read the darn thing. And I never lend them out. Nobody I know would know what to do with them, anyway! :lol:

I know, right?! :) I'm the only one in the family that reads with any kind of consistency, too. So I have a library with 3 giant bookcases full of books, that no one ever looks at. I don't know how many times I've said - in the midst of family discussions - I have a book about that, and everyone just nods. I worked hard to get a good depth and breadth of information and topics, and for what? Need to skin a pig? I've got a book! Thinking of visiting New Zealand or Ireland? Read first-person accounts of people living there. Gnomes, the A-bomb, exotic orchids, village churches in England, travelogs with photos from the 1800's (so you can travel through space AND time), homelessness, the deep South, the Space Race, 9/11, prison life, a doctor's life in Africa in 1920's, it goooooooeeesss on, :) Almost none of it is fiction, so all good facts (except the gnomes :bigsmile: )!

I even have a bookstand that sits on a little pedestal table, and I use it to showcase a book that pertains to whatever is going on in the house each week: Christmas books, rainy forest scenes, family albums, Easter stories, summertime or wintertime books, etc. If someone is visiting, it may pertain to the guest or something they like. No one has ever paid any attention to it, even though you really can't miss it. I've mentioned it a couple of times over the years, but it's largely ignored. But I keep doing it. I don't know why I do it, but I still do. :confused:

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock

I was in the hospital and I had a biography of Mao Zedong's wife and the Chinese Cultural Revolution and the attending doctor was amazed that 1)anyone would write the book and 2) that a NJ housewife of particular age would actually read it and be able to discuss the revolution and the couple! {I also have a dvd of Ted Bundy's final interview hours before his execution, but that doesn't fit into this category. I can't help it, I like weird things}

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

It makes me totally crazy when I see women playing with their hair while driving. I get so annoyed that I actually start shouting at them from the sanctity of my own car. Today I was driving home from the doctor and the woman in front of me started playing with her hair while we were stopped in traffic. The traffic moved and her fingers on both hands were too tangled up in her hair that she couldn't get her hands to the steering wheel therefore not being able to move forward. Once she finally did start moving she kept twirling her hair with her left hand.

SMC

Ideal_Rock

People who don't properly separate their trash. The compost bin at work is right next to the regular garbage bin and it is very obvious which is which. I still see food waste in the garbage and plastic salad containers in the compost bin.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

SMC said:
People who don't properly separate their trash. The compost bin at work is right next to the regular garbage bin and it is very obvious which is which. I still see food waste in the garbage and plastic salad containers in the compost bin.

Or when you see a plastic water bottle in the trash which is literally 2 inches from the recycle bin!!!

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

People who just flog their vehicles, and never check oil, transmission fluid, or tires. Might check the gas gauge 50% of the time at best. Then they cry when they run out gas / have a tire blow out / burn up their engine / burn up their transmission. Seriously, one branch of the family has done this again and again, for 20+ years. I no longer give them rides, lend them a vehicle, or lend them money. They can try walking or bicycling, or pay to ride the area shuttle bus, and see how they like that.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Making sucking noises while eating. I don't mean just soup. Everything! Take a bite and suck. Take another bite and suck.
It is like Silence of the Lambs! :sick:

Recruiters who call after having never even looked at your resume with a job that is really not a good fit. (like $20/hour on call IT support for a 40 year heavy duty software developer)
Along those same lines, recruiters who call a "not willing to relocate" candidate and push a position that requires moving across the country then acts all upset that you wasted their time.

People who comment on my weight. If I didn't mention it, then just don't go there. If I lost weight, just say I'm looking good. If I know you and we have talked about my weight before then go ahead and say I lost weight and look great. If I gained, just leave me alone. I already know and am already upset enough.

ETA:
People who comment on our household finances. If you really feel like it is your business, ASK me why we didn't have bigger savings to make it through the layoff. Don't just assume we threw it away on fun and toys.
Still no one's business but I would rather the truth be out than people thinking of us as irresponsible!
(The answer, of course, is we had a half million dollar fight to get "A" out of a bad situation. Follow that up by massive medical issue keeping DH out of work for 6 months with no pay then being laid off just a few months later.)

jazzoboe

Shiny_Rock

TooPatient, I hear you on the silly recruiters. I get the opposite, though. I AM willing (and, frankly, kind of wanting) to relocate, and I keep getting calls and emails about jobs that are across the country, and I tell them I'm fine with it. Then they say "oh, this client won't consider any candidates who aren't local." Great, so why did you bother calling me? Did you think I was lying or confused about my address for some reason? Thanks for wasting my time geniuses.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

jazzoboe|1439490300|3914174 said:
TooPatient, I hear you on the silly recruiters. I get the opposite, though. I AM willing (and, frankly, kind of wanting) to relocate, and I keep getting calls and emails about jobs that are across the country, and I tell them I'm fine with it. Then they say "oh, this client won't consider any candidates who aren't local." Great, so why did you bother calling me? Did you think I was lying or confused about my address for some reason? Thanks for wasting my time geniuses.

How hard is it to look before calling?
Local candidates only, willing (or not) to relocate?

If you have something that is otherwise a great fit, you can always email and say "I know you did/didn't want.... But just wanted to pass this on in case you would be...."

Otherwise, have a little consideration!

Great timing, btw. DH just walked out of the office after talking to a recruiter. Had a semi-interesting job that DH said to go ahead on but then spent 10 minutes trying to push him into a job that would mean moving out of state. What part of CAN'T is hard to,understand?!?!

SMC

Ideal_Rock

TooPatient|1439489190|3914167 said:
Recruiters who call after having never even looked at your resume with a job that is really not a good fit. (like $20/hour on call IT support for a 40 year heavy duty software developer)
YES! I get these emails all the time too! I'm in software, but I get emails asking me to be an insurance salesperson. Or there's an "amazing opportunity" to give up my full-time position with benefits for a contract position, title demotion, and no benefits!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results