shape
carat
color
clarity

Red spinel 5-stone ring!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, DK and gemandjewelrylover.

Just as a point of reference for people who are designing rings, I took a picture of the spinel with my ering. The spinel is 8.3x6.4 mm, and my ering holds a half carat diamond in a 8 mm halo. My finger is size 4 to 4.5.

It's a interesting contrast between the three stone with chunky and step cut facets and plain band, versus the halo and all the modern brilliant cuts in the stack. I like both.

img_7664.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1429345980|3863978 said:
It took me a few years to understand why my spinel, and many non-precision CS stones, are called mixed cut. Now it makes sense: steps on the bottom, brilliant on top. I thought that mixed cut meant that the cut was undefined.

I have a slight clarification to my comment in previous post regarding brilliant cut in general: By modern brilliant, I mean _brilliant_ cut with small facets. Chunky/big facets on a brilliant cut were common before the Modern Brilliant Round. Examples would be the Old Mine and OEC cut. Here's an explanation of how the Modern Brilliant Cut (MBC) evolved from Tofel Jewelers (http://tofeljewelers.com/pics_large/oldminecuts.html). If you follow this link it also shows examples of step cuts versus brilliant. If you look at the step cut bead, you can imagine how our "mixed cut" CS stones are step cut on the bottom with cuts that are horizontal (if you hold the table of your stone up), versus brilliant cuts that are vertical (like the pavilion of the MBC).

Thanks once again for your thorough explanation and I apologize in advance for asking another question, but where do you see a "step cut bead" in Tofel's info? I want to make sure I'm fully understanding you. Are you looking at the ones that have symmetrical facets parallel to each other on the pavilion side, like the emerald cut? This is the first time I've understood the term mixed cut as I didn't understand it before your explanation. TIA

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Hey Minous. Here is the "step-cut bead".

Here's a good picture of a mixed cut oval (not my stone). Do you see the brilliant cuts facets on the top? In contrast, the bottom has step cut facets. This oval happens to have a keel line, but others may have a culet (flat facet parallel to the table) or a point.

cutting-styles-3.jpg

mixed-cut-oval-ruby.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I assumed thats what it was, but now I finally really get it for sure! Thank you for all your help. My new favorite thread - great eye candy and educational information, both provided by you. :))

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely ring, and congrats on finishing the project! I like how big it is on your finger, and of course, my favorite is the one with that pearl.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Yingh, thanks for the compliment,

Minous, I am flattered and humbled.

I took one more pic with my halo ering and anniversary bands (size 4 to 5), above the spinel and my wedding band (both size 4s). For reference, the halo is 8 mm, and the spinel is 6.4x8.3 mm. They're the exact opposite in terms of style. The halo is very blingy with a small center stone, and the 3-stone really highlights the spinel in a subdued way.

img_7686.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1429297565|3863650 said:
Ah, I love the photo's DK posted on his FB.
This one is very Pregcurious: stones 'n pearls 8-)
Love this picture. It is so incredibly elegant.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely stunning!

redroze1

Shiny_Rock
I can't remember if I commented but your ring is stunning. The proportions are perfect, the red is delicious. It's GORGEOUS. :love:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Chrono, LisaRN and redroze1. I just realized that I posted the same pic of my new ring with my ering on both page 2 and 3. Oops.

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
We don't mind seeing it again. It is lovely!

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry I am late to your ring reveal. This ring is so amazing!!! :love: Red is my favorite color. It looks so beautiful on you. We have similar ring sizes and this ring really gives me a better idea of proportions. Thanks for sharing! Hope you are enjoying it tremendously!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I am so glad this was bumped - HOLY MOTHER OF ALL THINGS GORGEOUS! WOW! I seriously love this ring.

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
It's absolutely gorgeous. The stone is TDF......beautiful ring. Congrats!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone heard from preg lately, as she has not posted much if at all in past couple of months.

Preg, hope you are up the right way, in case you are reading this.

DK :wavey:

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
what a beauty, congrats!

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
That is quite perfect! I love it.

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in red spinel love after seeing your ring. Just another "want" to add to my ever-growing list. :love:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad this was bumped so I could see your gorgeous ring! Hope you are wearing it happily :)

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous! :love: Your ring is spectacular! I love it! :appl:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
dk168|1438431483|3909713 said:
Anyone heard from preg lately, as she has not posted much if at all in past couple of months.

Hi DK,

Thanks for thinking of me. I just had my 3rd baby, and have been away from PS for a while. I'm slowly coming back though. I think I'm going to focus on creating wearable jewelry from my stones in the next year, instead of buying more stones.

Preg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooh!! Congrats with your third child. What a blessing.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1452962515|3976805 said:
dk168|1438431483|3909713 said:

Hi DK,

Thanks for thinking of me. I just had my 3rd baby, and have been away from PS for a while. I'm slowly coming back though. I think I'm going to focus on creating wearable jewelry from my stones in the next year, instead of buying more stones.

Preg

Preg: congrats on your new baby, and I'm happy this thread was bumped because I got to see your gorgeous 5-stone ring! So lovely! I hope you are enjoying it :wavey:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Acinom and Lovedogs. Unfortunately, I do not wear it. With my kid-filled life style, I just wear a plain gold wedding band. That's it. When I go back to work, I may start wearing my wedding set again, and some earrings. I like looking at and designing jewelry, but I am not a big wearer of jewelry.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results