shape
carat
color
clarity

Might be doing Restylane Friday...

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
P.S. I had mine done at a private clinic with a top plastic surgeon. I suppose it was merely a coffee break for him :lol:

However, he didn't use any numbing cream as the syringe contained local anaesthetic which started to numb as he worked. It took the edge off it almost immediately & felt comfy for the rest of the evening, I had a couple of teeny bruises for a few days, but nothing that concealer couldn't handle.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
CJ2008|1435322743|3894657 said:
momhappy|1435321823|3894654 said:
My sister has lip injections about 2-3 times per year and she told me that she avoids caffeine the day of her procedures. I had never heard of that before she told me (my friend with the PS BF has never mentioned it and neither has my MIL). She said that it is less painful if she avoids caffeine. I'm not sure if it's valid or not. I know that if I went without caffeine for a morning, I'd likely get a headache, so I guess that I'd have to balance that out. I certainly would't make it 3 days after too :shock: ….

Thanks mom.

I'm having a cup of tea right now made at home...not sure if this has less caffeine than my usual 20 oz cup of coffee...but the cup is smaller so I feel like I'm doing something haha I will probably just drink half, just to be on the safe side.

Another question...(I'm not realizing how much I have not thought to ask) - I'm getting above the lips injected - the line - can I put numbing cream in that area (between the lips and nose) or is that going to make my lips completely numb so I won't be able to talk, etc.?

Yes, numb the lip area. You'll still be able to talk, but the area will feel weird for quite a while. I went to lunch with my friend one day after her lip line procedure and she was able to talk just fine - she said it felt numb/tingly/strange though throughout the entire lunch (and beyond).

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, mom, thanks all, will reply and report back when I return...

OK here I go! :bigsmile:

njblinger

Rough_Rock
So...I went to see the plastic surgeon yesterday to get restylane injected in my tear trough area for the bags/puffiness. I noted in my earlier post that I had had this done twice before with my dermatologist, but I wanted to see if there would be a difference with a plastic surgeon doing it.

Well, I left the office very disappointed, because she said she would not do it. She said even though it has been eight months since my last injection, she feels that my eyes were overfilled with restylane and that I have a swollen look to my eyes. I didn't think that was the case; as a matter of fact I was pretty content with what had been done. Instead, she recommended that I have the surgery blepharoplasty to remove the undereye bags.

One of the main reasons I started with the fillers is because I didn't want to do surgery. Has anyone had tear trough fillers and been told nearly a year later that they were overfilled? I don't know what to think - I know plastic surgeons like to do surgery, when possible. Do you think I'm being given an objective diagnosis?

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm planning on having upper and lower blephs early 2016. They have a very high patient satisfaction response in terms of plastic surgeries. (Some procedures patients are NEVER happy with, some are pretty much well received and blephs are one of them.) They are affordable. They aren't terribly invasive or prolonged.

You want an oculoplastic surgeon or an ophthalmologist who does lots of blephs and surgeries to the structure/musculature of the eyes.

CJ, how are ya doing? Its Friday....

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
njblinger|1435330798|3894721 said:
So...I went to see the plastic surgeon yesterday to get restylane injected in my tear trough area for the bags/puffiness. I noted in my earlier post that I had had this done twice before with my dermatologist, but I wanted to see if there would be a difference with a plastic surgeon doing it.

Well, I left the office very disappointed, because she said she would not do it. She said even though it has been eight months since my last injection, she feels that my eyes were overfilled with restylane and that I have a swollen look to my eyes. I didn't think that was the case; as a matter of fact I was pretty content with what had been done. Instead, she recommended that I have the surgery blepharoplasty to remove the undereye bags.

One of the main reasons I started with the fillers is because I didn't want to do surgery. Has anyone had tear trough fillers and been told nearly a year later that they were overfilled? I don't know what to think - I know plastic surgeons like to do surgery, when possible. Do you think I'm being given an objective diagnosis?

It's so hard to tell without knowing the PS, but I tend to think that she was giving you the appropriate advice. It's not uncommon for PS's to essentially turn down work and/or offer other, more appropriate, procedures. I think that it's very possible that your derm overfilled the area and the PS was seeing something that you might not be. I think that if she wasn't being professional/objective, she would have done the fillers anyways (despite that she felt there was already enough) just to make a buck.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1435335217|3894790 said:

It's so hard to tell without knowing the PS, but I tend to think that she was giving you the appropriate advice. It's not uncommon for PS's to essentially turn down work and/or offer other, more appropriate, procedures. I think that it's very possible that your derm overfilled the area and the PS was seeing something that you might not be. I think that if she wasn't being professional/objective, she would have done the fillers anyways (despite that she felt there was already enough) just to make a buck.

+1.

OP, you can always get another professional opinion.

cheers--Sharon

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm baaaaaaaaaaack!

OK - so as promised, I'll give the lowdown of what I did and what the procedure was like.

1. This morning at 9:45 A.M. (45 minutes before the appointment at 10:30) I put numbing cream along my nasolabial folds and the area all above my upper lip (not the lips themselves).

2. At about 10:40 A.M. or so, the Dr. injected me with a numbing "block" - on the outside of my face and inside of my lips - I believe it was 2 spots outside, 2 inside on each side of the face.

My left side was definitely more sensitive than my right - but other than the initial couple of seconds of pinch, the sensation was tolerable. I'd say a 3 on the discomfort scale - not really "pain."

3. I hardly felt the actual Restylane injections in most areas - but there were a few more sensitive spots - especially along the sides of the lips...the spots I felt again, I'd rate a 3...you feel the pinch, and a couple of seconds of discomfort.

I had neglected to put numbing cream UNDER my bottom lip so that was by far the most sensitive - but still, even in the area I had not numbed, I'd rate the pain level at 5 - I definitely felt it more than the areas I had *not* numbed - but it was not a high level of pain - more annoying than anything else.

All the above said...I couldn't wait for the whole thing to just be OVER. Getting injected is stressful, at least for me.

For reference, my pain tolerance is probably moderate. I get laser done on my chest and face for my skin redness and we go aggressive (I'm talking purpura level settings where I look like a spotted lizzard for over a week or so) and I do that without numbing cream.

Right now it's been about an hour since the injections and I'm enjoying a cup of coffee even though I'm still feeling a little tingly from the numbing cream and block.

So for the big reveal...what do I think?

It's of course a little soon to tell, and I'm still red in the area (they said more realistic results will happen over the next week or so) but overall I'm happy with the results. I definitely look refreshed and it's really really nice that the upper border of my lips is defined. (she wants to see me in 2 weeks she thinks I might actually need another syringe, and I can see it, the right side of the nasolabial folds could use more - but there is no way I can afford another syringe in 2 weeks, so this is going to have to do...)

Was it worth $600? Yes and no. In the sense that is a lot of money for me...and I don't know that I can do this as often as required. But if money was no object? Oh yeah, I'd be doing this whenever it wears off. Same with Botox...but I have to space them out.

I hope this was helpful to you all - please ask me any questions you want!

(edited for clarity in some spots)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

huh. I guess I don't know what your undereye area looks like so I can't really judge. A bunch of my family members have had upper blepharoplasties and love the results. I agree on considering a second opinion.

CJ - glad you're happy so far and that it wasn't painful!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1435334065|3894768 said:
I'm planning on having upper and lower blephs early 2016. They have a very high patient satisfaction response in terms of plastic surgeries. (Some procedures patients are NEVER happy with, some are pretty much well received and blephs are one of them.) They are affordable. They aren't terribly invasive or prolonged.

You want an oculoplastic surgeon or an ophthalmologist who does lots of blephs and surgeries to the structure/musculature of the eyes.

CJ, how are ya doing? Its Friday....

Yes, that's ANOTHER thing...my right eyelid is becoming very hooded ;(

And thanks for thinking of me :) I have a full review above.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update:

So, it's been about 3 hours or so since the injections...

If I move my face and lips, I can feel a little discomfort along the areas where I got injected...again, nothing unbearable, but there is slight discomfort.

And my lips are feeling dry as heck, probably because they cleaned the whole area with alcohol...

I'm not supposed to manipulate the area for about another 2 hours but I'm going to gently put a little Vaseline on my lips.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad it went well and is going well!!!

Please help me: I have facial redness and some super small broken vessels around my nose and on my chin. What kind of laser are you using? IPL? I have always thought I'd easily laser this away but I went on a website and saw pics of laser gone bad and let me tell you, its BURN UNIT TIME if it goes wrong. I live near Scottsdale, which is skin cancer/sun damage/plastic surgery capital so there should be competent medical here for lasers. I could always go back to my former employer for it (Mayo Clinic).

I used to have redness on my chest but thanks to Missy I bought rash guards this year and have worn the religiously and that red-chest thing went away. (The plastic surgeons and dermatologists where I used to work would note in the patient record that red chest effect and there is a medical term/diagnostic word for it, BTW.)

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I have had a few small capillaries & red spots removed from my face with a laser (IPL I believe). It was painful, but tolerable, and it was completely successful. Just choose a PS experienced with the laser - don't go to a medical day spa, etc.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1435348253|3894898 said:

Please help me: I have facial redness and some super small broken vessels around my nose and on my chin. What kind of laser are you using? IPL? I have always thought I'd easily laser this away but I went on a website and saw pics of laser gone bad and let me tell you, its BURN UNIT TIME if it goes wrong. I live near Scottsdale, which is skin cancer/sun damage/plastic surgery capital so there should be competent medical here for lasers. I could always go back to my former employer for it (Mayo Clinic).

I used to have redness on my chest but thanks to Missy I bought rash guards this year and have worn the religiously and that red-chest thing went away. (The plastic surgeons and dermatologists where I used to work would note in the patient record that red chest effect and there is a medical term/diagnostic word for it, BTW.)

thanks azs (ok that seems wrong so I'll use your full name haha) azstonie!

And of course I'll help you :D my pleasure.

We use the vBeam laser. And yes - if anything goes wrong, you can get burned, you can get hyperpigmentation, a lot of things can happen.

I can tell you I've had laser for my chest about 4 times now for all over redness - 2 or 3 of those times with purpuric settings - this last time was the most aggressive treatment - I mean I look SCARY afterwards but this time some of the spots were so dark they were like dark gray before they went purple. I was on pins and needles for the first 24 hours or so - but sure enough the skin healed and even though I can still see where the laser hit (especially when I get hot and my skin gets red) I can tell it's going to go away.

I also went purpuric on my face this last time - not as aggressive as on the chest but aggressive enough that I had purpura for about 3-4 days.

HOWEVER - you don't have to go that aggressive at all - you can go less aggressive and just have more treatments. You will greatly minimize the risks that way - it just costs more time, money, etc.

I will tell you though that if you go too low you won't see any results - so at LEAST ask the Dr. if based on your skin, down time willingness, etc., you can go high enough to get erythema (I think that's what they call it) - it's when your skin goes red and puffy...

And yes, it's called poikederma...

I just bought a UPF 50+ scarf and 50+ gloves - don't get in my car without them now.

I'm kind of "done" with the diffused redness treatments so next she'll use the vBeam to hit some specific red veins by my nose and chin, just like you...but she wants me to wait at least another month since we hit the skin pretty hard last time.

Let me know if anything else!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Azs" :lol: :lol: :lol: please call me Kristie!!!!!

Yes, poikederma!!!

I use gloves in the car too. I can only guess what 20-year-old beach Kristie would think of me with my rash guard, hat, enormous sunglasses, driving gloves, and sunscreen slathered :roll:

Thank you, momhaps, good to hear of expected results on those broken capillaries!!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cj2008, Boy have I missed a lot here! It sounds like you were fine with the pain. It sounds like everything went really well for you. I'm so glad you are happy with the results.

I have never heard anything about not drinking coffee the day of your procedure.

Here is a question for you girls. Have you told your friends in real life that you have had botox and fillers?

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1435351372|3894923 said:

We use the vBeam laser. And yes - if anything goes wrong, you can get burned, you can get hyperpigmentation, a lot of things can happen.

I can tell you I've had laser for my chest about 4 times now for all over redness - 2 or 3 of those times with purpuric settings - this last time was the most aggressive treatment - I mean I look SCARY afterwards but this time some of the spots were so dark they were like dark gray before they went purple. I was on pins and needles for the first 24 hours or so - but sure enough the skin healed and even though I can still see where the laser hit (especially when I get hot and my skin gets red) I can tell it's going to go away.

I also went purpuric on my face this last time - not as aggressive as on the chest but aggressive enough that I had purpura for about 3-4 days.

HOWEVER - you don't have to go that aggressive at all - you can go less aggressive and just have more treatments. You will greatly minimize the risks that way - it just costs more time, money, etc.

I will tell you though that if you go too low you won't see any results - so at LEAST ask the Dr. if based on your skin, down time willingness, etc., you can go high enough to get erythema (I think that's what they call it) - it's when your skin goes red and puffy...

I just bought a UPF 50+ scarf and 50+ gloves - don't get in my car without them now.

I'm kind of "done" with the diffused redness treatments so next she'll use the vBeam to hit some specific red veins by my nose and chin, just like you...but she wants me to wait at least another month since we hit the skin pretty hard last time.

Is your redness gone?

I am so red nowadays that my chest is pretty much looking sunburned all of the time and my face is forever flushed. It gets worse year after year. I don't drink at all... this is a hereditary thing. I would love to be a beautiful shade of pale...le sigh.

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Calliecake|1435360215|3894971 said:
Cj2008, Boy have I missed a lot here! It sounds like you were fine with the pain. It sounds like everything went really well for you. I'm so glad you are happy with the results.

I have never heard anything about not drinking coffee the day of your procedure.

Here is a question for you girls. Have you told your friends in real life that you have had botox and fillers?

No, it's really not something I would volunteer, same as I don't go into details about what areas of my body I have waxed, etc and how much grey hair I have, etc.

However, if someone specifically asked 'have you ever had fillers or botox?' I wouldn't lie.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

Is poikederma sometimes itchy? Can it come and go or is it a constant condition? My chest sometimes gets itchy & a little red. I'm going to research the term - thanks for sharing:)

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are the 11s?

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1435421676|3895231 said:
What are the 11s?

They are the the vertical lines between your eyebrows. They are usually one of the first reasons women want botox becuase they feel the 11's make them look like they always angry.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Calliecake!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1435422573|3895235 said:
What are the 11s?

They are the the vertical lines between your eyebrows. They are usually one of the first reasons women want botox becuase they feel the 11's make them look like they always angry.

HAHAHA, for sure and its one thing to BE angry and a whole other thing to LOOK it!!!!!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1435357440|3894955 said:
"Azs" :lol: :lol: :lol: please call me Kristie!!!!!

Yes, poikederma!!!

I use gloves in the car too. I can only guess what 20-year-old beach Kristie would think of me with my rash guard, hat, enormous sunglasses, driving gloves, and sunscreen slathered :roll:

Thank you, momhaps, good to hear of expected results on those broken capillaries!!

:lol: OK Kristie

I know - tell me about it - I used to love when my face would get color - I remember one particular time my nose got so red. I think at the time I thought it looked cute. :(

I'm at the looking at Balaclavas level - actually ordered a neck gaiter for Columbia that can be worn that way - have not taken the plunge yet but have a feeling I will. Let me know when you get there. :lol:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1435360215|3894971 said:

Callie!

Yes, everything went well! ETA thank you :) and yes, the pain was definitely tolerable, even in the areas I had not numbed. But I would definitely use the numbing cream again, just makes the whole thing more tolerable.

I did find the procedure more annoying than I expected - the whole area was kind of sore until late this morning - so like, 24 hours of mild discomfort and soreness. Not bad at all - I think I was just expecting it to be more like Botox, and laser - once you're done, you're done...

My family knows I get Botox done once in a while...I have not told anyone about the fillers...the laser, I may have said at some point I got it done, not sure.

For me, when I don't talk about it, it's more about people not knowing I spend $ on things like that - I don't want the judgments that may happen...and I don't need people thinking I've got $ to spare.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1435362863|3894987 said:

Is your redness gone?

I am so red nowadays that my chest is pretty much looking sunburned all of the time and my face is forever flushed. It gets worse year after year. I don't drink at all... this is a hereditary thing. I would love to be a beautiful shade of pale...le sigh.

House Cat - my redness is GREATLY diminished. Definitely looks a lot better than it did before.

I looked to see if I could find some pictures for you, so you can get an idea.

Definitely not perfect...and I know the lighting is so much different...but it really looks so much better. Also remember my skin is still healing so there is still a lot of brown left over from the aggressive laser...and we have not yet hit the actual brown spots from the sun.

My face doesn't show as much a drastic change because my face was not as red as that - but my face also looks better than it did...and will look even better when I hit the red veins by the underside of my nose and sides by my nasolabial folds.

I used to drink a few glasses of wine every weekend...I don't now...well, maybe a glass of wine here and there but rarely, like every couple of months, if even that...I think that's definitely helping with the redness (I used to FEEL the wine making me flush and I could see the red coming out!)

This is the reason I am so crazy with putting sunscreen on and protecting my skin - even when other people think it's kind of going over the top. DH says I'm 50 shades of white :lol:

laser-chest-08242013-cropped.jpg

20150627_chest-cropped.jpg

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1435419790|3895215 said:

Is poikederma sometimes itchy? Can it come and go or is it a constant condition? My chest sometimes gets itchy & a little red. I'm going to research the term - thanks for sharing:)

You know what I don't think it ever itched, or at least not in a way I would notice...but I can't be 100%.

I don't think it comes and goes - it's there all the time - but I feel like sometimes it can look WORSE (e.g., if you're working out, and your body temperature rises, and you get more red from blood flushing to the area).

Sometimes people get it on their necks, too...thank goodness I did not get it there too.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are the 11s?

Like Callie said, the lines between your brows...

And yes, for me, it makes me look like I'm always frowning, or mad about something (it's awesome when you get it done because you can frown all you want at someone and they have NO idea you're frowning at them) :rodent:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008, I have terrible discoloration on my neck and upper chest. It is alway very dark and discolored. It can stay red for many hours after showering or when I get hot. I forgot what the doctor called it but said they also call it red neck disease. If looks awful. Supposedly they can try to treat it with a laser. The doctor said it would cost $5,000 and if I was lucky I may see a 20% improvement. $5,000 sounded like a lot to sound for only a 20% improvement. The doctor could not guarantee I would even see that much of an approve ment. I wonder I have what you have. I have to admit I would be thrilled if it looked like yours. The doctor said it was caused by sun exposure. I have used sunscreen on my face for the past 30 years but didn't apply it to my neck or upper chest. Big mistake on my part. I never leave the house without sunscreen now, even in the dead of winter.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1435438302|3895377 said:
House Cat|1435362863|3894987 said:

Is your redness gone?

House Cat - my redness is GREATLY diminished. Definitely looks a lot better than it did before.

I looked to see if I could find some pictures for you, so you can get an idea.

Definitely not perfect...and I know the lighting is so much different...but it really looks so much better. Also remember my skin is still healing so there is still a lot of brown left over from the aggressive laser...and we have not yet hit the actual brown spots from the sun.

My face doesn't show as much a drastic change because my face was not as red as that - but my face also looks better than it did...and will look even better when I hit the red veins by the underside of my nose and sides by my nasolabial folds.

I used to drink a few glasses of wine every weekend...I don't now...well, maybe a glass of wine here and there but rarely, like every couple of months, if even that...I think that's definitely helping with the redness (I used to FEEL the wine making me flush and I could see the red coming out!)

This is the reason I am so crazy with putting sunscreen on and protecting my skin - even when other people think it's kind of going over the top. DH says I'm 50 shades of white :lol:
OH MY GOODNESS!!! You look AMAZING!!!! Wow! You have inspired me! I am just as red as your before photo! I am definitely going to look into this!

Was the laser treatment painful?

Yes, I feel the wine flush too. One of the reasons I rarely drink. I think that if I drank with some regularity, I would be purple.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results