shape
carat
color
clarity

Had a ring made but not quite happy with it. (Pics)

ILLSMOQ

Rough_Rock
image_3618.jpg image_3616.jpg image_3617.jpg

It's a Tacori setting with an aquamarine. I had the prong changed because I wanted the stone to be more visible, floating in the setting.

Something doesn't look right about it to me.

Any recommendations or ideas on what I should have done to it?

Thank you!

image_3619.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a very pretty ring and the setting looks good to me, I really can't see anything wrong with it. Could you be a little more specific as to what area of the ring is bothering you?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it the juxtaposition of the square prongs with the round stone and the rounded interior arches in the shank, by any chance? To me, the side view - where I can see only the flat profile of the shank and the square head - looks great. It's when I see the arches and the square prong tips together that it looks like something might be incongruent.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have walked several miles in your shoes :doh:

Could we see a front view of the ring, face/stone forward, not a side shot?

redroze1

Shiny_Rock
The prong stems seem too thick, and I agree that the squareness of the prongs doesn't match with the curves in the rest of the ring.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The shape of the stone doesn't work with the ring and the prongs are too thick for a stone that is this size.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
The prongs would really bother me. They are much too thick and I don't care for their shape. Also, the ring seems just a bit chunky/square-ish for my taste, but that's really more of a personal preference.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1433613473|3886003 said:
It's a very pretty ring and the setting looks good to me, I really can't see anything wrong with it. Could you be a little more specific as to what area of the ring is bothering you?

+1 to junebug17's post.

OP - please do elaborate on why the setting does not please you; you are the only one who can see it in real life, close-up and distance views, and you are the only one who knows what was discussed with the jeweler in terms of design.

As to the prongs, I took a quick look at the Tacori settings on the Whiteflash website and saw several settings with prominent prongs very similar to your setting - did your jeweler actually modify an existing Tacori setting, or did he create a new setting "inspired" by Tacori?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1433693147|3886231 said:
junebug17|1433613473|3886003 said:

+1 to junebug17's post.

OP - please do elaborate on why the setting does not please you; you are the only one who can see it in real life, close-up and distance views, and you are the only one who knows what was discussed with the jeweler in terms of design.

As to the prongs, I took a quick look at the Tacori settings on the Whiteflash website and saw several settings with prominent prongs very similar to your setting - did your jeweler actually modify an existing Tacori setting, or did he create a new setting "inspired" by Tacori?

Marymm, your post made me feel a bit better, I was beginning to feel a little foolish lol!

I can see how some might not care for the prongs, but it's a question of personal preference IMO, I honestly don't think they look bad. As you said, several Tacori designs feature prominent prongs, it's just part of the design. And I think it would be helpful if the OP is a bit more specific. We don't even know if it's the prongs that are bothering him.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that the head looks like one of the normal Tacori designs. Is that not what you asked for? If it is not, show us an example of what you asked for.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1433703659|3886287 said:
I agree that the head looks like one of the normal Tacori designs. Is that not what you asked for? If it is not, show us an example of what you asked for.
I had thought the same.
Ok,that by no means takes away from your feelings of not liking the setting, but I dont think its an error. If you dont like the prongs maybe a different vendor is in order

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the ring is gorgeous and protective of the aquamarine. I would not deliberately increase the height nor expose more of the stone to damage because aquamarine can be a "chippy" stone.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty - what were the prongs slated to look like bf you asked for the stone to "float?"

ILLSMOQ

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all the responses. Yes I feel like the prongs are too chunky and heavy looking. I feel like they need to be thinner and slimmer and rounded. I don't have the ring in my possession so I don't have more pics.

image_3620.jpg

This is what the original version of the ring looks like.

I actually just wanted the brace removed from the original prong design and the stone lowered but Tacori said that it wouldn't be strong enough so they wouldn't do it.

ILLSMOQ

Rough_Rock
I wanted to see if it others felt the same way about it as I do...it seems most do. The prongs are too chunky.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like the prongs have to be that thick for the structural integrity of the ring - in hindsight maybe it would have been better to leave the brace in but you probably didn't know the prongs would be made thicker - I'm really sorry you are unhappy with it, I'm not sure what recourse you have, others might have some suggestions. Maybe Tacori would be willing to thin the prongs out a little more, if that's possible.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ask if they can be thinned out a little

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My guess is that the prongs had to be made thicker in order to compensate for the loss of the brace, which was put there to add structural strength. Thinning out the prongs could make them weaker and I'm not sure whether the bench is willing to do so because it increases the risk of the stone falling out.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1433792914|3886622 said:
My guess is that the prongs had to be made thicker in order to compensate for the loss of the brace, which was put there to add structural strength. Thinning out the prongs could make them weaker and I'm not sure whether the bench is willing to do so because it increases the risk of the stone falling out.

Chrono, I have to agree. I also agree that thinning the prongs without putting braces in is asking for trouble (i.e., a lost stone).

ILLSMOQ

Rough_Rock
I had them send it back to tacori to work in it.

Anyway, I'd rather risk loosing an inexpensive stone than not be happy with how the ring looks.

The jeweler has been trying to give me the ring I want, so I'm hopeful they can come through for me on this.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To me, the basket is off. Too angularity with the curves of the rest of the profile. I like the original better.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this is beautiful.. love the blue stone.. I would not change a thing, but you have to be the happy one!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope Tacori can do something to make you happier with it!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
luv2sparkle|1433872242|3886969 said:
To me, the basket is off. Too angularity with the curves of the rest of the profile. I like the original better.

I agree. The fine milgrain arches of the shank seem in such contrast with the modern thick prongs.
I like the original one much better. It has a more congruous look.

ILLSMOQ

Rough_Rock
image_3632.jpg image_3633.jpg image_3634.jpg

Got the ring back again they thinned the prong and rounded the edges and they tops of the prong. It's not so squarish any more. I still kind of wanted the prong thinner but apparently this is as thin as tacori was willing to go. I like it much better now.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely see a difference! Tacori did a nice job, it looks good! Glad you are happier with it now.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks beautiful. Glad you are happier with it.
Tacori did a great job with this redo.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results