shape
carat
color
clarity

What size are your pearl studs?

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your kind words missy! And you are spot on, although the chemist earrings are nice enough I can't wait to switch them out! Only 6-8 weeks to go :lol:

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
ricezo - Those look to be the perfect size on you! Can't want to see the pearl stud + sapphire stud combo, too.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
ricezo|1429417505|3864338 said:
Crickett - your metallics will look amazing with a larger pair when the time comes! You inspired me to re-pierce my ears today! 7.5mm Miki akoyas with 3mm surgical steel CZs. I can't wait to wear my 4mm sapphires with the pearls.

Aw yay!!! Sapphires will look amazing with those Mikis!!! But the ones you have in look lovely too!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
missy|1429351194|3863996 said:
ricezo said:
Bumping this thread! What is your preferred size pearl for stud earrings?

ETA: to add to my question, here are my 7.5mm akoyas and 9-10mm metallics. How much bigger do you think I could go? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Totally depends on the size of your earlobes and the piercing position too and of course your personal preference. I prefer my studs to be centered and not hang over the earlobe. I think my largest pearl studs are 9 mm and my dangles are 10-12 mm depending on the pair.

Ricezo, I love the 7.5mm akoyas on your ears. They are the perfect size on you IMO! I like the larger metallics too but I prefer the smaller akoyas because they are more centered and don't hang over. Though the metallics are dressier due to the size so would be amazing when you are dressed up to go out. I love dangles for even larger pearls. In any case they both look beautiful on your ears! :love:

I agree with whatever you think looks good with your earlobes.

I have always had super large earlobes (not helped by choices I made in my youth), so I can wear larger MM, but smaller MM get lost

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks bling bunny & crickett!! I'm excited to try different combos! :wavey:

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I happened to encounter a pair of 14mm studs ... too big? The downside of the 'net, I can't hold them up next to my face.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Having them set up right on the ear may be problematic and less you have a stabilizer in the back. I bought some Edison earrings but I made them into dangles they are bigger than the ones you were discussing.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find 11mm is the limit for my ears, even with the large disk earring backs. They droop a bit even with the discs.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
How about omega backs? I find them pretty comfortable.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I have some 14mm mabe pearl omega backs. I love them, but I feel very elegantly dressed with them. They are for "good", not for work.

Bailey1856

Shiny_Rock
My favorite is 11-12mm. I have T's, candy coloured ripples, and round metallics in this size. My limit is 12-13mm which is what these gssp studs are in the following picture.
imgp4444.jpg

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Those look gorgeous on you, Bailey!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe it's all just PDD ... Pearl Dysmorphic Disorder ... bigger, bigger, bigger ...

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually think this might be dictated by ear lobe size. Larger (and maybe thicker?) lobes can handle larger studs. I have smallish, thinnish lobes which are too floppy to hold much weight. My holes are also a bit stretched too, which doesn't help. All those giant dangles of the late-80's did me in! I can see though how those with a sturdier (for lack of a better word) lobe wouldn't experience the same degree of droop.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results