shape
carat
color
clarity

New Ring Setting--Honest Opinions---Please!!!

Oval-Lover

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I had my oval diamond re-set a couple of months ago and I'm having some doubts about it. The diamond is 1.50 carat, H, SI1. I had it set in a bezel setting (white gold) before this but that seemed too modern for me. So, I went back in time and went with yellow gold and kind of 90's retro with the setting with a non-matching band. I did that because I was married in the early 90's and still like that style.

I keep looking at this setting and think it looks cheap. Is it just me or does it really look like a cheap setting??

Please be brutally honest.
Thanks for any replies.

ring_201.jpg

_31146.jpg

20150616_091514.jpg

_31147.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks fine from the top but the profile view is odd. The shanks (2 sides) come up to empty air, with the gap just large enough to catch on things.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1434469556|3889874 said:
It looks fine from the top but the profile view is odd. The shanks (2 sides) come up to empty air, with the gap just large enough to catch on things.
This also bothers me. I don't think it looks cheap, just unfinished.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What size is your finger? Is the stone 1.5ct or is the ring 1.5 tcw?

Either way I agree with others that the setting could be tweekes butni think the oval looks really well cut.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks like a well-made ring, it doesn't strike me as cheap looking. I think it's a very pretty set!

For those wondering about the setting - As for the open cathedral, that style of ring was popular in the late 80's and early 90's, I remember seeing settings like this back then. The OP mentioned wanting a retro look.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its fine from the top, but I'm personally not a big fan of open cathedrals.

OP, I don't know if that is whats bugging you (it could be) or, the fact its also got a peg head (maybe its both things??) but sounds that you maybe went too far in the other direction for your own liking.

Was this a custom made setting? Is it possible to connect the cathedrals to the head? maybe even go with a different head? Or simplify and go with a solitaire instead?

Some people feel that yellow gold looks cheap. I think it looks fine but IMO its setting dependent.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Maybe you want something with more diamonds in the setting? Is the solitaire setting bothering you?

Maybe post some pics of settings that you don't think look cheap, and that will help you identify the issue.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the '90s look too, and especially cathedral settings. However, the setting looks a little flimsy maybe? Not cheap, per se, but just flimsy. The side diamonds don't look to be the best quality IMO.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doesn't look cheap but the gap in the cathedral is a little too wide for my tastes.
I also would have picked a higher head so that the rings could fit flush.
My setting (original from the late 1980s is very similar to yours, but from top down
you don't see any gap).

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think it looks cheap! And .... not to pile on, but I don't think the ER and the wedding band look great together

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is very pretty but I would want something that fit a little better with your band. Maybe it just would need to be a little bit higher. Overall, I think it is a very pretty ring.Raising the stone a bit would also make the cathedral sides seem more balanced to me too.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a big fan of open cathedrals either. I like the sides to attach. I also think a more squared off wedding band that mimic
your engagement ring would also look nice with it.

I really like your oval. Looks to be a pretty stone.

Oval-Lover

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for all the replies!!

So, my center oval diamond is a 1.50 carat (to clarify). The stone is set into a open cathedral with side diamonds separate from the 1.50 carat diamond. I don't think they are as good of quality as the center stone but I'm ok with that. I'm ok with the open cathedral sides as well.

One thing I did learn from all of you is that the plain band I have it with is a dome and I should have gotten a flatter band to match the ER. I can always go and get another one.

I'm just so glad you don't think it looks "cheap"!! It's not custom. I just picked out a setting from a local jeweler and had him put my diamond in it. I have always had custom in the past. That is probably why I am having trouble with thinking this looks cheap.

The head that the center stone is set in is also a basket setting and I had him set it low. The cathedral sides and center stone don't get caught on anything (even though they look high in the pics) because they are set low. It just looks higher in the pictures. It's actually pretty low. I think it looks high because it is right next to the plain band.

Unfortunately, these pics do not do justice to my diamond!! I took them with my phone camera in my kitchen and it made my stone look pretty dark!! It's really white and sparkles in real life.

Thank you all so much for your opinions. I really value all opinions from this site!! :appl:

Oval-Lover

Rough_Rock
Niel,
My ring size is 6.75 and the center stone is 1.5ct without the side stones. I don't know for sure the tcw of the side stones but I think they are 1/3 ct without the center stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results