shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone in Knoxville?

MrsWhitney

Shiny_Rock
So, I am a California girl (100%) who has lived in Seattle, NYC, Philly (shout out to DiDiamond and all)...Phoenix, London, Cambridge-UK, and now, once I finish part of my treatment, I am moving to be with my husband in Knoxville for 3 years (he is a surgery resident).

We were buying a home, but after inspection, and a few issues, opted to rent first...

I am wondering what Tennessee is like?

April20

Ideal_Rock
I was born in Knoxville but grew up in middle Tennessee. My dad's side of the family were all raised in and around Knoxville and a few of them lived there for their entire lives. I live in Georgia now, but I love Tennessee, especially east Tennessee. The mountains are so close and it's so beautiful in the fall. Be very prepared for football season come fall. It's a really, really big deal in the south and Tennessee fans are especially loyal, especially in Knoxville. I'm a huge Tennessee fan, even if they have had a really bad run for the last few years!

Over all, it's a pretty laid back state. Cost of living is reasonable and there's plenty to do no matter what your hobbies are. You're also in close driving distance to some very nice areas to visit- Asheville, NC for one. It's not going to be the bustling city compared to everywhere else you've lived- it's probably going to feel pretty slow in comparison. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing for you. But hey, if it is, it sounds like it's only temporary.

MrsWhitney

Shiny_Rock
April20|1428692488|3859997 said:
I was born in Knoxville but grew up in middle Tennessee. My dad's side of the family were all raised in and around Knoxville and a few of them lived there for their entire lives. I live in Georgia now, but I love Tennessee, especially east Tennessee. The mountains are so close and it's so beautiful in the fall. Be very prepared for football season come fall. It's a really, really big deal in the south and Tennessee fans are especially loyal, especially in Knoxville. I'm a huge Tennessee fan, even if they have had a really bad run for the last few years!

Over all, it's a pretty laid back state. Cost of living is reasonable and there's plenty to do no matter what your hobbies are. You're also in close driving distance to some very nice areas to visit- Asheville, NC for one. It's not going to be the bustling city compared to everywhere else you've lived- it's probably going to feel pretty slow in comparison. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing for you. But hey, if it is, it sounds like it's only temporary.

Thank you! Being ill, the quiet and lack of hustle might be nice. My little brother (who was in Paris) is now in Lake Lure, NC (near Asheville), but otherwise, we will be a bit isolated. I am a HUGE college football fan (but of the Pac 12- I went to UCLA and USC- and worked there). I am going to adopt the Vols? Is that the name?

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mrs Whitney, Unfortunately I know nothing about the Knoxville area but wanted to tell you I hope your treatments are over soon and you can be reunited with your husband quickly. I'm sending lots of healing dust your way! :wavey:

April20

Ideal_Rock
MrsWhitney|1428704748|3860109 said:

Thank you! Being ill, the quiet and lack of hustle might be nice. My little brother (who was in Paris) is now in Lake Lure, NC (near Asheville), but otherwise, we will be a bit isolated. I am a HUGE college football fan (but of the Pac 12- I went to UCLA and USC- and worked there). I am going to adopt the Vols? Is that the name?

It is the Vols. We are serious about the SEC. You might want to keep that Pac-12 stuff quiet. :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
April20|1428713745|3860157 said:
MrsWhitney|1428704748|3860109 said:

It is the Vols. We are serious about the SEC. You might want to keep that Pac-12 stuff quiet. :)

+1!! ...especially with the whole Kiffin thing, and this is coming from an Auburn fan!! (but I digress...) :bigsmile:

Although I've lived in Birmingham, AL since college, I was born and raised in southeast TN (about an hour in between Knoxville and Chattanooga). Knoxville is a lovely city, and the people are especially nice -- good old fashioned Southern hospitality! (just don't mention the PAC-12, mmmmkay?) :lol: ;))

East TN is really beautiful and the weather is nice. You will be very close to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg if you'd like to sneak away to the mountains to a cozy cabin or awesome chalet. My sister has lived in Knoxville for almost 10 years (her husband works in Nuclear Pharmacy at UT Medical Center), and she loves it there. It's definitely going to be smaller than what you've been accustomed to, but there are lots of things to do and see. :)) I'm excited that you'll be moving to my home state!

MrsWhitney

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all...I will keep the Pac 12 stuff quiet ;-)

Smores84

Shiny_Rock
Hello,
I am keeping you in my thoughts and wishing for a quick recovery for you!

I grew up in Knoxville and loved it. I've moved around from NYC to LA and many places in between, but still think that the people that I grew up with in Knoxville were some of the kindest. I think that you will like the town even though you're a city gal at heart. You'll soon be wearing orange & white with the rest of the Vols fans.

Best wishes!
:wavey:

MrsWhitney

Shiny_Rock
Smores84- thank you ;-) I am already sad thinking of leaving NYC. I am, and always shall be, a city girl. I have lived ONLY in cities except when a PhD student in Cambridge England- and even then, spent 50% of the time in London.

This will be a fun trial...and perhaps nice with my illness...

EDIT: I do think my medicine makes me more emotional, and the fact I have to move 2 blocks from the UES in NYC and Madison Ave, I may cry...Laduree, Tiffany, Graff, Lanvin....man, this will be hard....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The great thing is...NYC is really only a couple of hours away...easy trip for a long weekend to visit friends or go shopping! You'll have much better weather in TN, too!

knoxgirl

Rough_Rock
As you might be able to tell from my screen name, I live in Knoxville -- and have for almost 30 years (I'm originally from Chicago). If you're a city girl, it's going to take some adjustment. It's a lovely area and downtown has really come into its own. You might consider looking for a place downtown. It's vibrant and charming, similar to Asheville. But, everything is going to be on a much smaller scale than you're used to. It's a great place if you love the outdoors and are happy with the advantages of a city without the drawbacks, like costs and crowds. It's a very livable place. Wear your Pac 10 colors proudly. There are plenty of people here who aren't Vol fans. The downsides, if they matter to you, are that the schools aren't great and it's not the most progressive area as a whole. If you need a big city fix, you can get to many East Coast and Midwest cities direct on a very short flight. Welcome to East Tennessee!

MrsWhitney

Shiny_Rock
knoxgirl|1429036391|3861790 said:
As you might be able to tell from my screen name, I live in Knoxville -- and have for almost 30 years (I'm originally from Chicago). If you're a city girl, it's going to take some adjustment. It's a lovely area and downtown has really come into its own. You might consider looking for a place downtown. It's vibrant and charming, similar to Asheville. But, everything is going to be on a much smaller scale than you're used to. It's a great place if you love the outdoors and are happy with the advantages of a city without the drawbacks, like costs and crowds. It's a very livable place. Wear your Pac 10 colors proudly. There are plenty of people here who aren't Vol fans. The downsides, if they matter to you, are that the schools aren't great and it's not the most progressive area as a whole. If you need a big city fix, you can get to many East Coast and Midwest cities direct on a very short flight. Welcome to East Tennessee!

THANK YOU. This is already causing distress, given my cancer, and moving all at once (coupled with the loss of jewelry in my other thread and awaiting the replacement- which should be tomorrow).

We originally put an offer and it was accepted on a house in *Fountain City area?) Knoxville...then we decided after inspection to rent in Downtown at the Medical Arts Building (it was really inexpensive at $1575) but was not available until end of May...so at the last min, we did a 6 month lease at Wellsley at Deane Hill or something in West Knoxville. Coming from NYC, having a rent at $1300 is UNHEARD of. LIKE AMAZING...but I will miss city living...and NYC...

My husband is at UT Medical and seems to like it so far, but I am afraid, given I have never been...

The homes are a good price so we will buy in 6 months when we know the areas better. Any recs?

MrsWhitney

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1429034968|3861780 said:
The great thing is...NYC is really only a couple of hours away...easy trip for a long weekend to visit friends or go shopping! You'll have much better weather in TN, too!

Diamondseeker2006, I intend to come back monthly once I feel better (if).

knoxgirl

Rough_Rock
Don't stress -- Knoxville's a really easy place to live. For the Knoxville area, you've got a luxury budget to work with. The downtown rental rates are considered very high for this area. It's a shame about the Medical Arts Building, which is one of my favorites, but I think your choice of initially renting in the Deane Hill/Bearden area is a good one. It's a relatively convenient location for your husband's commute and a good base for exploring the area should you decide to buy. If you ask around, probably 70% of people will tell you to look in west Knoxville (the other 30% HATE west Knoxville). Keep an open mind. There are great neighborhoods north, south, east, and west. All the cool kids actually seem to be moving to south Knoxville or near north Knoxville these days. That being said, you may want to seriously consider west Knoxville (which includes Deane Hill) if you plan to relocate soon. West Knoxville is all suburban sprawl but the home values appreciate faster than other areas and it does seem to be easier to sell when it's time. A good realtor will be a big help.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
I grew up in Knoxville, but I haven't lived there in almost 25 years. It has changed so much in that time - the downtown area is much, much nicer than it used to be. I was shocked (in a good way) last time I visited.

I grew up in Farragut, so I'm biased in favor of west Knoxville. The area I really love, though, is Sequoyah Hills. It's expensive, but so lovely.

I hated - hated! - Knoxville growing up, but in retrospect it was a nice place to live. Definitely laid back, except when it comes to football. The whole town will pretty much turn orange in the fall.

The Smokies are very close - it was easy to go up to the mountains for a nice day trip.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
knoxgirl|1429036391|3861790 said:

I have to disagree with this... school systems are a reflection of the area. The more expensive areas will have the better school systems. My sister is an elementary teacher and has taught children in good and bad systems. If you're still in Knoxville when the time comes to consider this, you'll already have a feel for which areas have the better systems. Also, there are always private schools, but they are quite expensive. I think you'll love the area if you'll give it a chance. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results