shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help selecting H&A 1.29 or larger- pre loved ok too

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This entire discussion on light return or performance needs to move to another thread. I am surprised that envyme hasn't given up in frustration that her thread has been derailed to this degree.

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1427995181|3855861 said:
This entire discussion on light return or performance needs to move to another thread. I am surprised that envyme hasn't given up in frustration that her thread has been derailed to this degree.

Envyme|1427737942|3854600 said:
Great discussion here! Thank you all!

^ I'm not surprised. I am happy to offer suggestions or advice to the OP, and I have tried to do it. The entire discussion began as a result of a question as to what the difference is between the different "h&a" diamonds from various vendors. The OP is the one who originally asked. Because there are so many contributing to this thread now, and because the OP actually seemed to like the discussion, I didn't try to take my questions elsewhere. But if she would like me to try to move the discussion to a different thread I would be happy to.

Envyme

Shiny_Rock
Ok, we bought the GOG stone and there is a return policy should I need it ;-)

Would it be rude to take this stone GOG with me when I meet Grace to compare to the 1.7?

The GOG looking at the report with the ASET has a few gray areas on the outer rim which means leakage according to the report? Does every stone have some leakage? Is this concerning? I know it's a "supreme ideal" but want to make sure it's not enough to even think about?

Probably bring OCD but it's a lot of $$$ and I don't want issues!

Pic is from report itself

_28534.jpg

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm glad I saw this before I posted. Good idea, in courtesy to the OP, and providing the opportunity to rename it with a relevant title. I've overlooked this thread for some time.

New thread coming. Will circle back to post the link.

Quantifying Performance Nuance discussion continues here.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ce-nuances-beyond-aset-h-a-photos-etc.212008/

Envyme

Shiny_Rock
Here is the sarin too

_28535.jpg

_28536.jpg

_28537.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond has a perfect idealscope image showing red everywhere it should. You do not go by the ASET on the AGS report because it is computer generated and not an actual ASET. The actual ASET is almost perfect except the small green area around 7:00 and that should not be an issue.

That is awesome if you can see the stone Grace has next to the GOG stone! That will give you a chance to compare a superideal and an ideal cut. However, the GOG stone was just 1.3 cts, I think, and the stone Grace has is 1.7, so that is not exactly an apples to apples comparison. I might take a superideal cut 1.5 over a lower end ideal cut at 1.7, but almost no one is going to choose a 1.3 over a 1.7!!!! But I would still not choose the 1.7 just because it is bigger. You have to see it in various lighting and be sure you love it and be sure you are getting a good discount (20-25%) off retail! And still get the ASET because the center of that stone looks a little dark to me, and that is one reason I wanted an ASET.

Good luck!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
John Pollard|1428009725|3856009 said:
I'm glad I saw this before I posted. Good idea, in courtesy to the OP, and providing the opportunity to rename it with a relevant title. I've overlooked this thread for some time.

New thread coming. Will circle back to post the link.

Quantifying Performance Nuance discussion continues here.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ce-nuances-beyond-aset-h-a-photos-etc.212008/

Thanks SO much, John! We just can't keep having this discussion within people's threads who are trying to choose a diamond! They can read all the threads on PS if they want, but once they are asking about stone selection, we can recommend stones and tell why we like them. It just isn't the place to debate this particular topic, in my opinion!

Envyme

Shiny_Rock
The GOG is 1.4 ;-) not exactly a 1.3 but close enough.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, that's good! I didn't have time at that moment to go back and try to find the links!

emmebee

Shiny_Rock
DS, while I agree it's unfair to compare a 1.4 to a 1.7 as the size could help sway the decision, it's generally a size trade off one has to make when choosing a super-ideal over an excellent cut, right? If the budget is fixed, and super-ideals are more, I think it actually is pretty fair to compare what your budget allows in both a super-ideal and excellent cut.

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
emmebee|1428073259|3856357 said:
DS, while I agree it's unfair to compare a 1.4 to a 1.7 as the size could help sway the decision, it's generally a size trade off one has to make when choosing a super-ideal over an excellent cut, right? If the budget is fixed, and super-ideals are more, I think it actually is pretty fair to compare what your budget allows in both a super-ideal and excellent cut.

I agree. It is great to be able to compare the superideal next to the larger ideal cut, as the same budget would allow you to purchase either stone. This way you can see for yourself whether the subtelties of the superideal cut are more important to you than the size difference.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
Envyme-glad to hear you've made a decision.

Can I ask: what swayed you to buying that diamond over the 1.7?

Frankly it's surprising that one would choose a 1.4 over a 1.7 with the top cut grade pedigree and PS approved proportions. Were the return policy and/or upgrade policy at GOG the main factors?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
teobdl|1428076251|3856379 said:

Frankly it's surprising that one would choose a 1.4 over a 1.7 with the top cut grade pedigree and PS approved proportions. Were the return policy and/or upgrade policy at GOG the main factors?

She is comparing the GOG 1.4 to the second hand AGS 1.7. I do not agree that the AGS stone has PS approved proportions with a 40.4 pavilion angle, though. That is why I said I would want an ASET. That is very rare to come across that pavilion angle in the stones we see recommend here or listed in second tier diamonds from the vendors who specialize in well cut stones. I am not at all against non-superideals. But there are AGS ideal cuts I have seen that I would definitely not buy.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
emmebee|1428073259|3856357 said:

The 1.7 is a used stone. So that is a major reason it will be priced low (or should be). But no, when comparing retail, you definitely do not have to go from a 1.7 ideal to a 1.4 superideal to have equal pricing.

Here you go...1.61 ideal to 1.53 superideal and equal in price. Very small difference in size, and I would recommend either diamond as far as cut goes.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3377988.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3377987.htm

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
My bad, DS--when I posted before I had in mind that the pav was 40.6. I would have been less enthusiastic about it. I do think that an ASET would be the safe route to take for 40.4, but that combo + AGS 0 is still not bad by any means. As I understand it, the concerns for obstruction become more real with a larger table than that and lower crown with that pav.

Envyme hasn't reported back, but I still would be interested in hearing her rationale for why she went with the GOG diamond. I didn't mean to imply that the return policies were the only reasonable reasons for picking the GOG.

emmebee

Shiny_Rock
Re: Need help selecting H&A 1.29 or larger- pre loved ok too

teobdl said:

Where did you see a decision was made? I thought envyme purchased the GOG stone to compare in person, which honestly is the most important! (Esp in multiple lighting situations!)

emmebee

Shiny_Rock
Re: Need help selecting H&A 1.29 or larger- pre loved ok too

Absolutely, I would want to see the ASET (shame it would be that much, though) like you said DS. I still think it is fair to compare two stones with the same cost though and see what kind of trade off there is.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is an I but says its a BN signature
It doesn't say the clarity but I'd ask for the gia number, it would give you info on specs and if it is a BN signature it would be noted on the report. Would leave ypu plenty for whatever halo you picked. Just saw it and thought I'd pass it along.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=281650473692&alt=web

Envyme

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, family member-hubby's uncle passed suddenly Friday and we've been all over the place.

To be honest I like the idea of a superior cut and I believe the 1.4 has that from my limited knowledge ;-) thankful I have you all here to chime in! I mean don't get me wrong a 1.7 is wonderful for size and it is an H not an I...but I just feel like I should spend $160 to have the ASET done if I'm truly considering buying that stone. Plus it's from 2006 so it's older and second hand. If I were to upgrade the GOG diamond in the future...at least I can get what I paid for out of it and I can select from a large inventory of ideal/superior ideal cuts with GOG. I imagine in the next 2-5 years I'll upgrade to a 2 ct plus stone...hoping for a 2.5 or so ;-) but after looking at the 1.4 I'm pleased!

I haven't seen the 1.7 yet but I may just forget that stone all together since I'm so pleased with the 1.4! She's a beauty.

Can someone explain to me Why my GOG I - VS 1 was just over $11,000 and this WF is smaller (H color vs1) costs a bit more? Is the light performance and cut any better than my GOG according to the ASET and IS? Or is it due to the H color? Would both of these perform very very similar and considered top cuts? According to the images anyways...

http://m.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3265525.htm

emmebee

Shiny_Rock
Hi Envyme, so sorry to hear about the passing in your family. Hugs!

If you are thinking about ever upgrading in the future, the GOG stone is the perfect choice for that!!

Agreed that the H color is the largest driver of the price difference. The WF IS/ASET don't show any lighter colors under the table when compared to the GOG stone, but the "lighter" is SO minimal in the GOG stone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are outstanding cuts, so that would not be a factor. The price on the H is due to the color. Big jump in price from I to H.

I definitely think you should go with vendors like GOG or WF that have excellent trade in policies if you are considering upgrading. I would also maybe reconsider spending $4k+ on a setting if you are thinking about upgrading the diamond. I'd get a less expensive setting such as a $2k Ritani or Gabriel & Co halo and reset a colored stone in it after you upgrade the diamond. Then get the VC setting with your upgrade diamond.

So sorry to hear about the loss of your husband's uncle.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Can't go wrong w/ GOG and WF trade up policy. Also, customer service at both is fantastic.

+1 about the color being the the likely culprit in price differences. The real life color difference is suble but noticeable in certain lighting and angles. I've found that H color is very difficult to detect, with I color being a little easier to see, especially at profile. FYI there may be the slightest bit of contrast vs the melee diamonds in the Canara halo (or any setting w/ pave) when the diamond is tipped at about 45 degrees and lower.

I would encourage you to go to a store and look at I colored diamonds in a pave setting. Tiffany would be a good place, and they should let you go to the natural lighting room where you may be able to spot some difference. I don't want to ring the alarm for I color (which I would for a J), but I do think you should know exactly what to expect.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results