shape
carat
color
clarity

Can more metal be added to the band of a vintage ring?

dc20063

Rough_Rock
Recently was passed down my grandmother's Art Deco illusion setting e-ring. It's a beautiful vintage ring, but the middle of the band inside the finger has worn very thin over time, I'm guessing.

It looks less than 1mm wide at this point, and is VERY thin. Could a jeweler add more metal to the band to make it safe to wear?

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
dc20063|1425907584|3844235 said:
Recently was passed down my grandmother's Art Deco illusion setting e-ring. It's a beautiful vintage ring, but the middle of the band inside the finger has worn very thin over time, I'm guessing.

It looks less than 1mm wide at this point, and is VERY thin. Could a jeweler add more metal to the band to make it safe to wear?

I believe you can have an experienced jeweler re-shank the ring. Here's a link that explains more about that.

http://www.professionaljeweler.com/archives/articles/2000/mar00/0300fys1.html

Kroshka

hoshiakari

Rough_Rock
You can't easily just slap some more metal on the existing shank to toughen it up, no, but you can ask a jeweler to replace the existing shank - it's a pretty common practice actually. If design permits, they'll saw off the thinning bit and solder on a whole new piece. The top will stay original, and the newer shank will keep it safely on your finger.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results