shape
carat
color
clarity

Secret of Moonacre Moon pearl project

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
So I just adore Fantasy movies and books, I grew up with (like a lot of us have probably) reading the Wrinkle in Time books, Narnia, Tolkien, and a ton of other fantasy books (one series was about a swan).

I recently Saw Secret of Moonacre, and it was pretty great! (Got horrible reviews, but I really loved it)

Here's a little synopsis- (from IMBD)
The story follows the exploits of thirteen-year-old orphan Maria Merryweather (Dakota Blue Richards), whose sole inheritance from her father is a book. This is no ordinary tome, however in Maria's hands, its ancient story comes alive. The book chronicles an age-old rivalry between the Merryweather and De Noir families over a set of magical pearls, and as Maria delves into the mysterious tale, she finds herself fantastically entangled in the bitter feud.

Left penniless by her father's death, Maria has no choice but to leave the city and live with her taciturn uncle, Sir Benjamin Merryweather, at his isolated country estate in Moonacre Valley. On her way to her new home with her caretaker Miss Heliotrope, Maria's carriage is attacked by Robin, the De Noir family's teenaged son. Although she is unharmed, the incident gives Maria a frightening taste of the animosity between the two clans. Having spent the night at her tower, Maria has been surrounded by magic, the stars on the ceiling of her room falls, one by one. She also noticed that the house seemed falling apart. She questions her uncle, but she was reprimanded not to enter the forest.

When Maria arrives at the Merryweather property, her uncle spies the unusual book in her possession, and immediately confiscates it. With the help of the estate's resourceful chef, however, Maria relocates the book and continues reading, finally discovering the weight of her responsibility: she has been anointed the last Moon Princess of the valley. It is up to her to find the magic pearls before the next full moon and end the conflict between the two families. If she fails in her quest, the dark curse following the Merryweather family will destroy Moonacre Valley for good. But is this a challenge Maria is ready to accept?​

Anyways! Watchig the movies, I fell in love with the pearls, and so I have been thinking about trying to recreate the strand. I think it would be a fun little project.

Here is the only pictures of the pearls from the movie (which is when they are glowing, not in the necklace but you get size, and shape from it), as well as a few strands I saw that seem close.

moonacre01.jpg

and ones that seem close

silver blue akoyas from PP
http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-896-75-80-mm-silver-blue-akoya-baroque-pearl-necklace.aspx

Kamoka's moon pearl strand
moon_pearl_strand.jpg

Keshi strand from Kojima

kojimakeshi.jpg

SS Strand from Kojima
kojimasouthsea.jpg

I Like elements of all four, but I will probably have to do it fully custom.

Do you all have any suggestions? I wan't it to be long though, at least 35" or maybe broke up into necklace with detachable bracelet?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Have you seen Stachura dove grey keshi? They are very inexpensive but beautiful with blue and pink overtones.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Yes! What she is holding in her hands do remind me of my dove keshi earrings from POJ:

poj_dove_keshi_dangle_0.jpg

poj_dove_keshi_dangle_3.jpg

poj_dove_keshi_and_japanese_baroque_0.jpg

poj_dove_keshi_dangle_4.jpg

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Love it!
Might go with that, I was thinking blue baroque akoyas, but i feel for this that might be a waste!

those keshis are gorgeous

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
What color are you looking for? Keshi are less expensive, but I don't think you'd be able to find a rope of dove colored keshi (like my earrings), unfortunately! You can ask PP or POJ to look for keshi for you during their next buying trip, if you don't mind waiting a while (and as 4 Ranch famously says, "Good things come to those who wait!"). Or, you can see what colors they have in stock at the moment. The batch from a few months ago was amazing. The metallic luster and heavenly overtones on both the champagne and pink/lavender were incredible. If those colors are okay with you, check to see if they have some left.

Keep us posted, Ms. Newlywed.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
ckrickett - I hope you get them!

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
ckrickett, Call Kevin, I'll bet he will hold these back for you!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
sounds like a fun project!! Those pearls from POJ are really pretty!! If you want another option you might check with PP. Jeremy sent this photo to me last month of some South Sea keshis. They look like they are already glowing!!! I don't know how many strands he has or if there is enough for a rope, but thought I'd pass the photo along.

20141013_145755.jpg

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
Ckrickett, love the idea of this project :) POJ silvery blue grey pearls would be lovely and myaterious :) I've dreamt of a strand of South Seas keshi for a long time ...

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Gosh those SS Keshi just glow don't they !!?? What a fun project to contemplate ! Now I'll have to find that book " :think: (apparently one of JK Rowlings favourite books as a child "The Little White Horse" )

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
These are very dreamy pinkjewel.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
What a fun project! Please keep us posted.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I will, this project looks like it may start sometime in December, so I am looking at vendors and different ideas of how I want it. If the Keshi at PoJ are available then, that might be it, but I am still checking o0ut all options.

Does anyone have any experience with http://www.youpearl.com?

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
FYI, I bought a double strand of the keshi!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
bsomlo|1415404258|3779495 said:
FYI, I bought a double strand of the keshi!

OOOh OOOh! Pics when you get them please!!! :naughty:

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Whatever happened with this?

(Today, I bought a silver mabe pearl at Na Hoku that looks like the moon, which is why I thought of this topic.)

Our silvery pearls do look like drops of moonlight, no?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I want to read the book now. Thank you for bumping up this thread.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I am still looking. The idea is either hoping to find some SS silvery keshi pearls, or the gorgeous keshis from PoJ That Bsolmo has.

Christmas did a number on my CC so this will have to wait until spring.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I'd like to suggest silver metallic freshwaters. You could ask any of the vendors to keep an eye out for some on their buying trips. I think the metallics would have that glow you want.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results