shape
carat
color
clarity

Online Vendors that take trade in's

cherij0411

Shiny_Rock
Hi

I am not happy with my Emerald cut purchased 11 years ago, back then neither my husband nor I knew about pricescope and the only education we had were the basic 4'cs. The color and clarity are great, but I just feel its not well cut even though really the only other emeralds I have seen are pics on this site, I have not seen any loose in person. My jeweler does not do trade in's. Do you know of any online vendor that does trade in's of stones that they did not originally sell?

Thank You
Cheri Morgan

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Most outside of the giant corporate types will. The secret is in setting the price. They're going to view it as two transactions. They're buying a stone and they're selling a stone. They're unrelated. Maybe. Will they buy yours? At the right price it's easy, but don't expect them to be paying what you did. The bright side is that bids are usually free although there may be some shipping involved in order to arrive at a final price. Pick a couple that seem like the sort of people you want to work with and ask them.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi cheri,

Welcome to the forum.

When you mention "trade in" ... ie. trade up policies for vendors, and particularly here on PS, I don't think you're going to get necessarily what the vendors policies state for this. And various vendors have fine print in their policies the differentiate them. Some vendors require the person spend double or xx% amount over the original purchase, some have time constraints, some have restocking fees and there's no guarantee you'll get what you paid for yours or even take yours on a trade that would be worth your while.

Truth be told, not many vendors who stock diamonds do not necessarily invest in emerald cuts ... particularly in one that a person knows or is not happy about the cut quality of. ;-) It may be that you do in fact have a perfectly fine emerald cut (regarding cut) but you've just grown tired of that look on your hand and you want something fresh.

After being married 30 years I understand this. :bigsmile:

You are not without options though. There are places, either local to you or here online that will take your diamond on consignment and help you sell it at a more current market value and only make a small commission leaving you with the lions share of the funds to use in the purchase of a new diamond. You'd need to research that but you are certainly not without options.

Kind regards,
Rhino

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
denverappraiser|1421952223|3820492 said:
Most outside of the giant corporate types will. The secret is in setting the price. They're going to view it as two transactions. They're buying a stone and they're selling a stone. They're unrelated. Maybe. Will they buy yours? At the right price it's easy, but don't expect them to be paying what you did. The bright side is that bids are usually free although there may be some shipping involved in order to arrive at a final price. Pick a couple that seem like the sort of people you want to work with and ask them.

+1

sweet_jane

Rough_Rock
@cheri - I recently purchased a diamond through USA Certed Diamonds (Martin Sheffield) and prior to my purchase I asked if there was a "buy back/trade in" option offered in the event I wanted to upgrade in the future. He explained that instead of offering or giving me the purchase price I paid for my diamond, he would list my diamond for sale and I would be able to apply the proceeds from my diamond sale towards another diamond. Additionally, there was no stipulations in regards to purchase price of the new stone. I do not know for certain if he extends this service to the public at large or only customers, but it wouldn't hurt to give him a call and ask. All he can say is "no", right?

Also, check out jewelsbygrace.com, Goodoldgold.com, and idonowidont.com for consignment options. If you wish to list the item for sale yourself, I have seen loupetroop.com mentioned favorably here on Pricescope. Best of luck!

sweet_jane

Rough_Rock
Apologies for the double post...
I wanted to clarify that USA Certed will charge a listing fee/commission for selling the diamond on their site. Sorry for omitting that information in my previous post.

ElleElle

Shiny_Rock
Consign it with http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/
She's very well known in the Pricescope community with a great track record for selling loose diamonds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results