shape
carat
color
clarity

'20s Grandmother ring

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
Hi there. I usually hang out in the Colored Stones forum, but now I have a question about an antique piece.

My 87 y/o mother recently moved to assisted living. In the process of cleaning out her house, she found her mother's engagement ring. My grandmother was born in 1900 and died in 1944 when my mother was 16. Mother wore this ring for a few years until the diamond was lost. Mother still regrets not having the prongs checked, but she was young and it never occurred to her that settings needed maintenance.

Now I'd like to replace the diamond so my mother can wear it again. I have a three stone ring that I can use to replace it if one of the diamonds is the right size, but maybe a modern round brilliant isn't the right choice. Finding a yellower, older cut diamond might be difficult. What do you think? I'm sure my jeweler will have some suggestions too, but I wanted to run it past all of you first. Thanks.

ringback.jpg
ringtop.jpg
ringside2.jpg
ringside_0.jpg
ringdiamonds.jpg

k_darling

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Personally, I'm a sucker for authenticity, so I think it would be great to track down an old cut to restore this sentimental piece. I'd recommend posting your specs and price range in Rocky Talky and I'm sure you'd get plenty of help picking out something great.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
k_darling|1420395503|3811706 said:
Personally, I'm a sucker for authenticity, so I think it would be great to track down an old cut to restore this sentimental piece. I'd recommend posting your specs and price range in Rocky Talky and I'm sure you'd get plenty of help picking out something great.

That's what I'm thinking too. I really didn't consider how the diamond would affect it until I saw my photo of the diamonds with the ring. They just don't look right together. Guess my first step is to take it to the jeweler and get the prongs fixed. He can tell me the exact size diamond to get.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
That's a great ring, and I really love that you want to restore it for your mom.

Once you have the size of the stone you need, you can start a thread in Rockytalk. People can help you more there.

Also, there's a few older stone sources that other PSers have used over the years: Jewels by Grace, Love Affair Diamonds, and Old World Diamonds. I'm sure one of these three companies can find an old stone appropriate for that setting.

PS - If you're searching for old posts on these companies, Love Affair Diamonds (run by Erica) and Jewels by Grace (run by Grace) used to work together as Jewels by Erica Grace (JBEG), so searching "JBEG" might give you some info and photographs of their past work.

Good luck with your search!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results