shape
carat
color
clarity

Just got my WAX Model pictures!!! What do you guys think??

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
Re: Just got my WAX Model pictures!!! What do you guys think

Yssie|1416932863|3790259 said:
dawnxcui|1416932079|3790251 said:
mercoledi|1416931140|3790236 said:
I too have been following this thread and can't wait to see that lovely stone finally come to rest in your dream ring. As for the plate/bar dilemma,

kmarla|1416925801|3790195 said:
My third idea is to scrap the current plan and have a simple trellis crossover below the plate and trellis crossover pattern between the halo and plate, so it's consistent, architectural but simple, and let's the diamond and halo be the star. Whatever you do, this ring will be gorgeous!!

This. Forget the surprise diamond and scrolls and support the plate with a simple trellis high enough to let your bands nest underneath. If you look at Freke's halo, imagine the plate at the hight where you see her culet with the trellis below. There's a lot going on with this ring already. Keeping the underside an profile clean (and cleanable) will keep the focus on your giant rose pear.

you mean like this?

Fruition!

I really, really like this idea. Pic is Vatche - prongs reach up to support the halo like in your modification instead of cupping the stone girdle, plate sits where the "crossbar" sits right now.

The scrolls, the struts, the squiggles and surprise stones, the flat unadorned plate... too busy, too many mismatched elements without enough in common to visually tie them together. IMO this version is simple, elegant, timeless, cohesive, and easily-maintained.

mmmmmmmm i'm not sure i understand your idea of prongs reaching all the way up to support the halo....
i'm kinda confused but i'll try my best to try to illustrate what i think you're trying to say.

so you want this X shape to reach all the way up to support the halo?
this still doesn't address the floating plate issue from the side view.
unless im interpreting your idea wrong this looks slightly odd to me.

_517.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I can't speak for Yessie, but I assume she meant the x would extend to the plate. I imagine the examole she posted of the vatche was to explain how the struts should extend to the plate, with the band in the basket of the vatche acting as a visual for the plate

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

Niel|1416935231|3790273 said:
I can't speak for Yessie, but I assume she meant the x would extend to the plate. I imagine the examole she posted of the vatche was to explain how the struts should extend to the plate, with the band in the basket of the vatche acting as a visual for the plate

like this?
i'm not sure if i like the X. i would prefer something a little more girly.
either way, this will still leave me with a floating plate if you look at it from the side.
i will end up with a very pointy plate right under the halo that's not really attached to anything on the pointy end.

mod-cad-x-extended.png

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock

I like the bar, maybe he could do engraving on it. I even like the scroll, I'm not wild about the X.
Can't wait to see it!!

(could he do scrolls between the plates?)

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock

I too have been following this thread and can't wait to see that lovely stone finally come to rest in your dream ring. As for the plate/bar dilemma,

My third idea is to scrap the current plan and have a simple trellis crossover below the plate and trellis crossover pattern between the halo and plate, so it's consistent, architectural but simple, and let's the diamond and halo be the star. Whatever you do, this ring will be gorgeous!!

This. Forget the surprise diamond and scrolls and support the plate with a simple trellis high enough to let your bands nest underneath. If you look at Freke's halo, imagine the plate at the hight where you see her culet with the trellis below. There's a lot going on with this ring already. Keeping the underside an profile clean (and cleanable) will keep the focus on your giant rose pear.

you mean like this?

Generally, yes! I think there is some refinement to be done, but this should be sufficient to send David in the right direction. I would keep the trellis arms swept under the plate to minimize the steric issues with your bands. I'll see if I can modify your images to show what I mean. I had thought you liked the slanty band look, did that change?

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

mercoledi|1416937119|3790289 said:

you mean like this?

Generally, yes! I think there is some refinement to be done, but this should be sufficient to send David in the right direction. I would keep the trellis arms swept under the plate to minimize the steric issues with your bands. I'll see if I can modify your images to show what I mean. I had thought you liked the slanty band look, did that change?

what's a slanty band look? :confused: too many sketches i'm getting so confused. i should start naming my images with serial numbers...lol

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I had to head out and didn't have time to post pic but the last CAD is what I was trying to describe to you...a simple slightly curved trellis supporting the backplate and halo. But then to marry the bottom of the halo to the top of the backplate you need something to address that negative space that exists right now. I would have the same simple trellis pattern run all around to fill in that void and provide support. So instead of the original curvy filigree, picture instead delicate trellis pattern. This would match the larger trellis at the shank, yet be very delicate, simple, and not compete with the beautiful diamond and halo. You could still clean between the diamond and backplate. Does this help?
Edited to add this pic for reference. Not exactly what I mean but you can get a sense of the idea. Of course with your ring you'd have a void behind the trellis work instead of a solid band.

http://www.amazon.com/Stackable-Expressions-Sterling-Rhodium-Criss-cross/dp/B005OFAVUK

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think David could probably reduce the plate size by a little bit all the way around and not have it have a negative affect on it's reflective capabilities. That will help with the side views.

I'm attaching the two drawings that I like the most. On the trellis one, you will still need supports from the plate to the halo, otherwise there are a ton of things that can happen, including catching on clothing non-stop. So you will have to have something from the plate to the halo. As it is now, underneath the plate will catch on to everything as well.

Do you care if the ring is higher? Right now he's estimating a 6.25mm rise off the finger. If you don't mind higher, there are more possibilities, but as it is right now, this is a seriously small space we are working with here.

dawn_1.png

dawn_2.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dawnxcui|1416935804|3790278 said:
Niel|1416935231|3790273 said:

like this?
i'm not sure if i like the X. i would prefer something a little more girly.
either way, this will still leave me with a floating plate if you look at it from the side.
i will end up with a very pointy plate right under the halo that's not really attached to anything on the pointy end.

That is what I meant - I saw it in your post on the last page but I didn't copy it, oops.

All in all you're in very good hands with Freke, Chrono, and Niel, though ::)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like the simple trellis design, but I do think you need at least one connection points between the plate and the bezel. Maybe one (or several) very small bezeled stone(s)? Sort of combining the two options in Freke's drawings? Or even just small balls, similar to those James Meyer used in his 3-stone ring.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock

VRBeauty|1416943209|3790359 said:
I like the simple trellis design, but I do think you need at least one connection points between the plate and the bezel. Maybe one (or several) very small bezeled stone(s)? Sort of combining the two options in Freke's drawings? Or even just small balls, similar to those James Meyer used in his 3-stone ring.

I agree with this. I Like the trellis, but I do think you need some connecting points. I actually quite liked the o's from a couple of CAD ago!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Here are some pics I dug up. The thing that complicates putting a "facade" over the whole thing is that you want to be able to get in there and clean. Also, the pear shapes makes it a bit more difficult, but still feasible. If you lift the whole thing up a little bit, you can potentially integrate things. My problem is that right now it looks like a bunch of pieces, there is no cohesive look to it.

So is there a way that you could go through some rings and show us some looks that you like? I feel like we've been doing this almost completely backwards. I really have no idea what you like except Jennifer Aniston's ring, and the rest is all structural. I know that you want some curls or curves in there, but that's about it. Which is why the rings below are all over the place, design wise.

__kgrhqrhjfce918fi6oibphijln7lq__60_57.jpg

119_1276807265_0.jpg

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

undercu.jpg

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

FrekeChild|1416945625|3790376 said:
Here are some pics I dug up. The thing that complicates putting a "facade" over the whole thing is that you want to be able to get in there and clean. Also, the pear shapes makes it a bit more difficult, but still feasible. If you lift the whole thing up a little bit, you can potentially integrate things. My problem is that right now it looks like a bunch of pieces, there is no cohesive look to it.

So is there a way that you could go through some rings and show us some looks that you like? I feel like we've been doing this almost completely backwards. I really have no idea what you like except Jennifer Aniston's ring, and the rest is all structural. I know that you want some curls or curves in there, but that's about it. Which is why the rings below are all over the place, design wise.

well i've always thought that i was going to get a harry winston inspired cushion halo like a lot of the PSers here until i saw this pear rose cut which caught me by surprise and kinda left me in this awkward position of not knowing what to do with it.

i can link you to my pinterest board where i've pinned many rings i've liked over the years. but there arent too many profile shots of rings.

http://www.pinterest.com/jennifercui/wedding-rings/

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

I was just looking for a general taste in jewelry, so that worked well, thank you!

I think the Mark Broumand one that you posted is kind of awesome. So question, do you have to have it sit exactly flush? Or if it's close, would you be ok with it?

Another idea is to round out the cup a bit instead of having it be totally flat, and engrave the outside of it. I'm attaching some pictures of some rings that are kind of similar to what's in my head.

dawn_gallery.jpg

dawn_gallery_engraved_cup.jpg

9974450.jpg

leon_is_insane.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm still looking for pics of another "cup" style piece, but no luck yet.

Attaching pics of the gallery view of some of my rings, the halo fits flush, but the others don't fit exactly flush. If it's not perfectly flush, is that ok?

_24579.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Found it! It's a really interesting idea, it's a high carat yellow gold cup that is high polished, so that it reflects and projects the color of the spessartite around the stone as well. It's an interesting concept, and as it is, it's not really applicable to your project, just that it is a reflective cup.

I think, at this point, I'd probably lean towards exchanging the "plate" with a "cup", so it's less linear looking.

1. Exchange plate for an engraved cup like the Mark Broumand, leaving a little bit of space between the edge of the cup and the halo for cleaning, and investing in a steam cleaner.

2. Do something with filigree just like that Mark Broumand that you had pinned, enclosing the plate/cup under the detail, making sure to leave room between the plate/cup and halo for cleaning. Add the shank underneath the tiny pear, so that it'll fit flush with a band.

crasu_gold_cup_necklace.jpg

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

i think we might be over-designing it.
i looked through the photos of the actual ring he took for me, and the more i look at it the smaller that space looks.
it's Tiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnyyyy.
i modified one of his photos to add a plate and if you look at it from far away you can barely tell there is a plate.

if i add a cup it'll add to the overall height of the ring

photo-edit.png

backplate_comparison.png

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

FrekeChild|1416904098|3790117 said:
So I spent a little bit of time with the sketchbook before I realized something. That space is ridiculously thin. If you look at it in relation to the metal of the halo, it, including the plate metal, is thinner than the metal those halo diamonds are going into. So then I pulled out my halo ring (I only have one!) and an antique pin. And since it is full of antique diamonds, I thought to myself, "Hey, it'd be fitting to do something similar because of the era of the pin and diamond's era are not that far apart!" Anyway, I took some pictures so you can see what I mean. So tiny metal os, all the way around, and I don't even think you would need that many since the main support for the plate is the shank itself.

Just a thought. It's late, so if you don't like that idea, I could try sketching out other ideas tomorrow.

Can you ask David for the measurement of that space? If I had to guess, I'd say we are looking at roughly 1mm, which is just slightly wider than the space on my pin, about .75mm.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would have him look at your modified photo with the plate and the round supports and see what he thinks. It looks to me like you will barely see either. So if it works for you, and he feels he design is sound, then why not go for it? If you think there is too much going on then go with his suggestion of changing the swirls with the surprise stone to just a continuation of the band. If you are concerned about height that might allow you to lower everything a bit. It's a large stone. Personally, I would not want to set it higher than necessary.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi Dawn :wavey:
How is your ring progressing?

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

Update!!!

From David:
Here is a wax model of your design (not the one I am casting as a prong broke off). I can not push the pieces together in the soft wax, so the gap will be a bit more narrow than it appears now. The gallery struts will touch the plate. The gap is just under 1mm wide (.90). Once set the stone will sit 7mm's from the finger and a straight band will sit flush. The ring is made in four prices so it can be properly polished. There are small handle bars placed on the pieces which are removed after the casting. If you like this look the ring will be finished and ready to ship by next week.

20141210_102841.jpg

20141210_102919.jpg

20141210_103001.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

post by FrekeChild » 25 Nov 2014 15:17

I think, at this point, I'd probably lean towards exchanging the "plate" with a "cup", so it's less linear looking.

1. Exchange plate for an engraved cup like the Mark Broumand, leaving a little bit of space between the edge of the cup and the halo for cleaning, and investing in a steam cleaner.

This!! :appl:

I think Freke's suggestion of using a cupped feature underneath -- instead of the plate -- is exactly what the doctor ordered!

The rounded lines of the cup will look more refined, remove the "hard-edged" appearance the plate gives, and will provide a a much softer, more feminine aesthetic. Also, a cup will add dimension and a more interesting artistic element to the gallery, as well as giving it better flow and cleaner lines. (whereas the plate is... a flat plate) :|

Another important thing to consider is that this is the angle you'll be viewing your ring the most... the gallery is what you'll see almost every time you glance down. 8) :love: Why not make it more visually appealing?? ;)) :))

I have to say that this ring will be a showstopper either way!! :love: I can't wait to see the finished product!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like the cast! I like that there is a gap, and the linear looks doesn't bother me as it mimics the look of the halo.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I rather like this version; it doesn't look "hard" to me.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock

I really like this one too, especially knowing the plate will be even a little closer to the head. I very much like the view from the back!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh I think this looks good!

Michelez

Shiny_Rock

I like it too!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This version looks good and well balanced.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

i'm so excited, never had so many positive feedbacks :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:
my setting is finally PS-approved. i'll tell DK to get started on it right away.
i'll update with more photos when he sends them to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results