carat
color
clarity

Concerned about hair loss...

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone,

I need some advice about hair loss.

After following this post: post143175.html?hilit=calling%20amethyste#p143175, I got a bit alarmed, because my nails looked very much like the ones in the pictures so I decided to see a dermatologist about it. She said my fingernails have a fungal infection and prescribed an antifungal spray to apply there, plus some vitamins that she said would help strengthen my nails. She also said that it would take about six months for me to notice a difference in my nails.

I bought the vitamins, which I'm supposed to take 3 times a day, and noticed that on the pack it says that they are nail and hair vitamins. I thought that's ok since it's good to take something that also strengthens hair, right? Well, what concerns me is that, although I'm not supposed to notice a difference in my nail for six months, I do notice a difference in my hair but in the opposite direction. I seem to be losing lots of hair in the shower and just when running my fingers through my hair. Now, I've always lost some hair in the shower, when brushing my hair, etc. so it's not uncommon, but never this much. It's like I lose entire strands in the shower and at least ten hairs every time I run my fingers through my hairs. I know this isn't normal for me.

Does anybody have an idea as to what might be happening? Should I stop taking the vitamins? Go back to the dermatologist? I don't want to be bald by the time my wedding comes around.

Help!!! :errrr:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, if the only thing that is different is the vitamins, (going on the assumption that an antifungal nail spray isn't going to absorb to the point that it causes hair loss, although you might want to look on the packaging?) the first thing I'd do is quit the vitamins and see if that doesn't help. "Targeted" vitamins are somewhat controversial anyway, and doctors are notorious for NOT being nutritionally savvy. The only vitamin I know of that can stimulate hair growth is folic acid, and taking too much of that can end up masking other deficiencies.

For nutritional issues, honestly, I'd see a real nutritionist.

Hope the problem stops though. Hair loss is very upsetting!

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
I'd recommend seeing a doctor.

Have you checked your iron levels? Low iron can cause hair loss.
Also are you stressed? Increased stress levels can cause hair loss.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I also recommend seeing a doctor. My sister went through this and it was diagnosed as being related to stress (at the time it made sense as she was having a lot of problems at schoool). I believe they were able to give her something to help? I think another vitamin. I would suggest having them check your vitamin levels to make sure you are getting everything. Also, if you are going through a lot of stress, it could be related.
I hope you find the answer!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dermatologists often sell their line of product (and often at absurd prices), because you know, they don't make enough money just "practicing". A lot of these medicinal and cosmetic products don't go through strict manufacturing guidelines and testing. So my first sugestion would be to discontinue the vitamins and observe if the hair loss stops. If it does, then you know it's the vitamins. If it doesn't, then it may still be a longer lasting effect of the vitamins or something else entirely.

I have never seen such a side effect with topical antifingals, so I highly doubt that is the root cause.

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
Honestly, I doubt it is the vitamins.
Vitamins for nails/hair are related to promoto growth and strength.

It can also be your shampoo/hair products. Have you changed it since?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really can't say for you, I'd consult someone professional, but for me I know I "shed" twice a year and at those times my hormone levels or something let loose, I have no idea! But I've come to realize that for me occasionally losing more hair seems to be part of my norm.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Have you had a baby in the last six months? I am only asking because hairloss begins about 4 months after having a baby. I had a hairloss issue a few months ago and started taking an iron supplement every other day and it cleared right up. Another thing could be your thyroid, but there would be other symptoms along with that.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all your advice.

I haven't had a baby, nor have I changed my hair products. Also, I'm not sure if we're talking about the same kind of dermatologist but the one I saw was an MD and she didn't sell me the vitamins and the antifungal spray. She just prescribed them, like any other doctor, and I had to go and buy them from a pharmacy if I wanted to take them.

Maybe I should go back to see her and ask for any possible side-effects those vitamins might have?

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
mayer - I would call and ask yes.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Are you into menopause, or getting close to? Hormonal changes can lead to hair loss, skin blotchiness and poor nails and more:

stress caused by a major event in your life ( moving, job etc ) - the hair loss is temporary.
3 or 4 months after an illness or a major surgery, you may suddenly lose a large amount of hair.
If the thyroid gland is overactive or underactive, your hair may fall out.
Some medicines can cause hair loss - even if you are on one for years and all was ok, it can suddenly not be and trigger hair loss.

Certain infections can cause hair loss. Fungal infections can cause hair loss!

The one above, I am familiar with, as I am a nailtech and I've seen the bad aaaaaand the ugly. Fungus ( ANY KIND OF FUNGUS for that matter, even athlete's foot! ) will attack protein in your body. Seems that the infectious site is in your nails, but the infection is also in your blood - Hair and nails are protein, the fungus will find a way to get to where it wants to ... I bet when you are done with your medication and you see an improvement in your new nail growth - the hair loss will most likely stop.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mayerling said:
Thanks for all your advice.

I haven't had a baby, nor have I changed my hair products. Also, I'm not sure if we're talking about the same kind of dermatologist but the one I saw was an MD and she didn't sell me the vitamins and the antifungal spray. She just prescribed them, like any other doctor, and I had to go and buy them from a pharmacy if I wanted to take them.

Maybe I should go back to see her and ask for any possible side-effects those vitamins might have?

Ah, okay, then ignore my comment. Yes, most dermatologists are MDs, but most also don't really practice medicine. I know of several, and none would have a basic understanding of pharmacology or the likes. And many of them sell these products that they prescribe right outside their office. This is not the case for you, so now I am wondering...

Best to see your GP. Also, yes, fungal infection can cause hairloss...but it takes a LOT more than a nail bed infection to result in that. And considering you haven't changed your lifestyle or diet and that it is a fairly recent phenomena coinciding with the time of use of the vitamins, I'm still wondering if they might have a hand in it.

Honestly, if you go to your GP and tell them what you said here, the first thing they will do is ask you to stop the vitamins. Elimination is important before aggressive therapy. If it's not the vitamins or the topical anti-fungal, then they will get into more diagnostics.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
OK, so my strategy is:

1. Call dermatologist and ask about side-effects.
2. Stop taking the vitamins and see if I notice a change.

sumitahuja

Rough_Rock
Well I personally not experienced it but I remember once my friend intake prenatal vitamins which is for hair,nails and skin too suggested by some one. She takes it with meal and but had no side effects of the medicine.
The major cause of hair loss is low iron level and stress, keep awake about that both.
But I suggest once you should consult your dermatologist again and ask her to replace your vitamins.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
get your thyroid levels checked.
T4 and T3 both.
while you're at it get your vitamin D level checked also.
hair loss is one of the symptoms of a thyroid issue.
and while a dr may tell you you are within "noromal" range, the low end of the range I found was too low for me and medication was necessary....both for thyroid and D levels.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
mayerling|1282751141|2690630 said:
OK, so my strategy is:

1. Call dermatologist and ask about side-effects.
2. Stop taking the vitamins and see if I notice a change.

Yes, and if your derm doesn't do anything and you continue to lose hair, go see another doctor. It could just be normal hair loss (or even just coincidence that you are experiencing a shedding phase while on the prescription), but you need to determine if you are in fact, experiencing abnormal hair loss. My sister has gone through it and it was very stressful for her (only adding to the problem itself). She is on prescriptions & supplements for hair loss, but it is a continued effort (she has to continue taking the meds/supplements in order to reduce the hair loss). Her hair is quite thin and it's a constant source of anxiety for her, but without the help from her doctor, it could be much worse. Hopefully, your situation is normal - keep us posted:)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread is from 2010 so I am not sure mayerling will see it. If you do mayerling let us know how you are doing. I am convinced I am losing hair at a more rapid rate than normal but right now I am not taking any of my hair vitamins that I think were helpful in the past. It's just I don't want to complicate my healing of my leg so I have just put that on the back burner for now.

Hope you are doing well!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Aahhhhh! I hate it when I don't pay attention to dates and subsequently post in an old thread :oops: Thanks for pointing that out, missy:)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results