shape
carat
color
clarity

Help choosing round diamond for approx 3k

Blairis

Rough_Rock
Firstly thanks for being such amazing people and so willing to help others.

I’ve just decided that a holiday we’re going on later this month will be the perfect opportunity to propose so unfortunately I’m up against the clock given that I’m in Australia and have to factor in bank transfer and longer shipping times. I realistically need to order within the next couple of days to ensure there is adequate time for production & shipping.
I’m quite an analytic person and love researching all the facts about whatever I’m buying to ensure I’m getting the best value. For this very important purchase I’ve started educating myself and quickly realised that there’s a lot to know about diamonds and with the time pressure I have it’s going to be difficult to be in a position to know all that I need to know in time, which of course makes me very nervous. So, I‘m asking here for help please…

Unfortunately I should have paid a lot more attention over the years to have a better idea of her preferences but have enlisted a couple of my family members to help. The certainties are that she only likes round diamonds, is a US ring size 6 and wants a platinum setting.
She likes plain solitaire or relatively plain pave settings and is easy going and doesn’t expect a particularly large diamond, I believe she’ll agree that quality trumps size.

In terms of settings I have so far taken a liking to the Legato Sleek Pave or the Rounded Cathedral Pave both at Whiteflash. If I go with a Cathedral design then I can also consider James Allen options, the Legato is pretty unique to WF. There’s quite a price difference between the 2 settings, the Cathedral allowing more budget for the diamond. So, budget, with the Aussie $ not what it used to be and taxes etc I need to stick to about $4800 US total. That leaves 3k for the diamond with the Legato setting or a little more with the Cathedral setting.

Whiteflash have sent me the diamond options below, I’d like to go a little bigger to around 0.7 if possible and can spend a little more within budget. Would like ACA or Expert Selection & eye clean. I pretty much understand most of the grading definitions but not really how to interpret the Idealscope, ASET etc images nor the preferred dimension %s such as table.
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?idnos=3171997,3222863,3059456

Can anyone suggest any amazing diamonds/deals they’ve spotted around my 3k budget? We’ve been together a long time and I think she may even have given up on this day ever arriving so I really want to get her the best that I can :angel:

Blairis

Rough_Rock
Thanks snowdrop, that one looks good. It's does have quite a number of inclusions though, given that they're not really under the table & it's rated eye clean should they not really be of concern?

canvasback

Shiny_Rock
I might take this a different route, and have a gemologist pull the stone that Snow posted and the one below. I'd further ask WF to write you a comparative review of the two. I know it's an ACA stone that Snow posted, but I'd specifically ask about the inclusion plot and make sure that "additional clouds not shown" has zero effect on brilliance.

Here's the stone I'd have them check.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3045716.htm#

I've dealt with Becca before, she's normally easy to get on the phone or chat and will be honest with you.

Blairis

Rough_Rock
A sincere thanks for everyone's replies.
Whiteflash have been great to deal with, unfortunately timezone differences have caused a few delays so I have to get an order in by Friday am Houston time in order to take delivery in time for our OS trip.

After some discussion Whiteflash are recommending these 2 options;
$2,501 - 0.707ct I SI1- http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3253481.htm
$3,173 - 0.72ct H VS2- http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3114514.htm
Obviously a big price difference between them, Becca says she's seen both and that the 0.707 is a 'little firecracker' and faces up white despite the I color. The 0.707 has an 'indented natural' on the report, I haven't come across that before and it doesn't sound great. I know it's a personal choice in terms of spend but I'm hoping for input, the 0.72 is at the upper end of what I can spend, Becca says both are look great and that the 0.707 is good value.

Mercoledi, the option you've posted seems to be a PS, I'd probably rather stay with an ES or better.
Canvasback, the diamond you've posted looks good & is probably comparable to the 0.72 ? I really don't know enough about how to compare them based on the images.

It seems with my budget that an ACA around 0.65 would be the ideal choice but unfortunately they're popular and there currently aren't any in stock. So, I'm struggling with whether to drop in size to get an ACA or stay around the 0.7 mark with an ES.

Any suggestions appreciated, feeling the pressure with having to decide & order in about 12 hours....

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you make your decision? I'm far from being an expert but I'd imagine these 2 diamonds look pretty similar to the untrained eye. Only you can decide if the extra $600 is worth it! Did you look at the "alternative diamonds" suggested lower down on the diamond description pages?

Are you likely to want to upgrade the diamond eventually? I'm in the category who would never upgrade my ring, the sentimental value is huge and for that reason I'd go for the H if it were me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results