shape
carat
color
clarity

How to pay for a diamond without my gf help?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

madvaz

Rough_Rock
I just put down a deposit on an engagement ring that my girlfriend was happy with. I do have the money to pay it off, but the problem is my credit card limit is only $2000. I''ve tried to increase the limit on my card but I was turned down. I would''nt mind paying it off with a cashier check but I''ve been told and I have read that it is best to pay with your credit card in case of any problems. My girlfriend does not mind using her credit card after I max mine out to pay off the remaining balance and then I write her a check. We are both ok with this.

My only concern is this..Since she will be there with me to pick up her ring, what kind of proposal idea can I do? I feel bad that I can''t pick up the ring myself and surprise her with it. Should I use a credit card to pay it off or use a cashier check?

Any advice or suggestion is greatly appreciated!

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Arrive early, have them wrap it up, then wait for your g/f to arrive. She can put it on the credit card, yet never see the ring. Do your regular surprise proposal.

Otherwise, talk to your credit card company. See if they'll let you send them the check, and then allow you to put up to that amount (since they already have your money) on the card when you buy the ring.

madvaz

Rough_Rock
I called my Credit card company yesterday and they still won''t work with me. Since I don''t use my card that often, they can''t increase my credit limit. Another advice I''ve been told from a co worker is to just go in with my gf and pay off the ring but not take it home..That way i can pick it up on my own a few days/weeks later and she still won''t know when she''ll get it and won''t know what it''ll look like.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Go early, inspect it, then have them wrap it up and hold it for you. Come with your g/f a day later or something to pay for it. You don''t have to wait weeks in between (store isn''t gonna like that).

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Do you have a debit card? Those don''t always have the same protections as credit cards but sometimes they do. Most banks offer them with checking accounts in my experience. I agree with the idea of having the shop hold the ring for you after its paid for and have it all wrapped up when you go with your gf to pay. That way she won''t know when you pick it up or what it looks like (unless she knows already). My FI (then bf) did this and it definitely introduced a nice element of surprise because I didn''t know when he was picking up the ring exactly. If your gf thinks its sketchy to not get it right when you pay for it you could tell a little white lie, i.e. that it is being sized or the diamond is being set or something.

Good luck!

Gale

Shiny_Rock
codex had a great idea. Since you have the money anyway, pay your credit card company off - and then go get the ring with the now zero balance card. This should only take a few days and takes your gf out of the loop. If you need to repeat this procedure more than once, then so be it.

madvaz

Rough_Rock
So you are saying go in early and inspect the ring, then have them wrap it up and hold the ring until my gf and I come in to pay it off. What I''m confused by is this, do I then take the ring home with us or have the store hold it for a few days for me to pick up?

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/13/2005 2
6.gif
7:26 PM
Author: madvaz
So you are saying go in early and inspect the ring, then have them wrap it up and hold the ring until my gf and I come in to pay it off. What I''m confused by is this, do I then take the ring home with us or have the store hold it for a few days for me to pick up?

If you''ve paid it off, then you need to take it home so nothing happens to the ring while left in the store''s ownership!!

madvaz

Rough_Rock
I plan on going in on Friday to inspect the ring and pick it up Wrapped up on Saturday with my gf to pay it off..how do you Proposal when she already knows she''ll get it soon. I have no idea in my head at the momoment
8.gif

I feel bad that I have no money after getting this ring and I can''t think of anything romantic..Maybe cook her dinner and have nice relaxed canndle like dinner?

Shay

Shiny_Rock
You dont need to spend a fortune to have a lovely proposal. Cooking her dinner sounds lovely. Maybe buy some cheap candles and scatter them around your place for lovely lighing and ambience.
Say something special to her and she will cherish the memory.

Good Luck.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
My proposal technically didn''t cost any money. And she knew it was coming soon.

To throw her off, I hinted the actual proposal was coming about a week later (weekend). Since i was still keepign it a surprise, it didn''t matter as much for her to know I physically had the ring on my possession. Since I was broke too (after popping for the ring), I just drove her up to this one lookout that overlooked the city. I tried to do it at sunset, but stuff happened and we got there after it was dark. Still looked nice with all the lights twinkling though. So, yeah, be flexible with your plan in case weird stuff happens. Doesn''t have to cost money either. Take her some place she''s never been before and it''ll be memorable.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Also you could do soemthing cute and free...for our 18mth dating anniversry my BF got permission to carve our intials into a tree at our favortie park to go hiking in. It was super sweet and romantic and now everytime I go hiking (or look at the picture with our intials) I get a warm tingly happy feeling. Sometimes the best ideas are the less expensive ones.
2.gif

clammer

Shiny_Rock
I''m a little late on this, but why don''t you go in and put $2000 on your card. Pay it off that day and the next day go in and put the rest on your card?

hersko

Rough_Rock
I''m also late on this, but I''ll make another suggestion. Have your girl friend get a second credit card on her account with your name on it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results