shape
carat
color
clarity

Sad about my E-ring! Oval bow tie effect!!

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock
:boohoo: Most aggravating post ever :!: :wall:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FancyIntense|1412936571|3765297 said:
Though perhaps worded a tad insensitivity, this is a frustrating post to read, I agree.

I guess I'm not sure what advice to give you now. You seem to both want to keep it yet determined to hate it as much as possible. If you want to sell it I'd suggest you stop being so down on it, as people do read this post. If you don't plan to sell it, I also think you might want to give the ring a little break. You're feeling on this ring will only get worse if you let the negative feelings toward it swallow you up.

I lot of people have given you good advise as to what to do. I think a bad idea would be to stay on the current path of just keeping it, hating it, and telling yourself how stupid the ring is.

There are a fair amount of people here who had to start over with there ring, or had to sell some of there jewelry for financial reasons. It can feel a tad terrible in the moment, but with time I think you'll realize its just jewelry.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You took the words right out of my mouth. A year later, I start getting notifications on this thread and it's the same old song and dance. I wish people would stop wasting their time. She is not going to take anyone's advice. :angryfire:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
soxfan|1412943363|3765338 said:

You took the words right out of my mouth. A year later, I start getting notifications on this thread and it's the same old song and dance. I wish people would stop wasting their time. She is not going to take anyone's advice. :angryfire:
Then remove yourself from notifications on this thread. That is downright rude. She has been through a traumatic event, and if you had just lost your mother I doubt you'd appreciate people speaking to you like that.

Lots of hugs to you Lily. You will get through this, and it seems like the ring isn't the most important thing you should be focusing on right now. Set it aside, and work on repairing your marriage and yourself. It's alot of money, but its just that - money. It's not more important than your happiness and your marriage.

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
I wrote to the vender 2 days ago and has not received any reply so far.

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
telephone89|1412955870|3765418 said:

Then remove yourself from notifications on this thread. That is downright rude. She has been through a traumatic event, and if you had just lost your mother I doubt you'd appreciate people speaking to you like that.

Lots of hugs to you Lily. You will get through this, and it seems like the ring isn't the most important thing you should be focusing on right now. Set it aside, and work on repairing your marriage and yourself. It's alot of money, but its just that - money. It's not more important than your happiness and your marriage.

Thank you very much! You are right! It was all about money, the seller to make money, my husband wanted to not waste money, money I could have used for medical bills, on and on, no one cared about my feeling and happiness when it comes to this ring. I should get rid of it and move on! Thank you for standing up for me! Your kindness are very very much appreciated!

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock

please just ignore my post if you don't like it. I did not ask for your help or advice! I said over and over again I AM looking into selling it. I went to pawn shops and have checked out websites other nice people suggested here! For this ring, I believe i am the victim, only if my best interest was cared for, this would not have happened!!! While this is my last reply, i tried to delete this post but apparently that is not a choice. I very very much appreciate the kind words, support, and honest suggestions and advices all the nice people who read and replied my post!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lilly2013|1412962472|3765474 said:

please just ignore my post if you don't like it. I did not ask for your help or advice! I said over and over again I AM looking into selling it. I went to pawn shops and have checked out websites other nice people suggested here! For this ring, I believe i am the victim, only if my best interest was cared for, this would not have happened!!! While this is my last reply, i tried to delete this post but apparently that is not a choice. I very very much appreciate the kind words, support, and honest suggestions and advices all the nice people who read and replied my post!!

I'm sorry this is upsetting,but victim is a bit extreme and accusatory. You paid fair price for a gia certified stone in the specs you desired. You had the opportunity to view it in person, as well as the opportunity to return it.

I'm not harrasing you, and I am sorry that this is emotional for you on top of the other things that have happened. You don't need to worry about jewelry too, but I think there's some personal accountability needed here vs accusing the vendor of something unscrupulous

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to point out something here, and I'm kind of surprised it hasn't been mentioned in this thread before, but high color and high clarity do not make the stone perform better. You could very easily go down in color and clarity in another oval, and go up in quality of cut and not have it actually cost you more money.

You should have returned the diamond within the return period, even if that meant the setting sitting empty until you found a replacement. That would have cost you the least in trauma, and money. As it is, you will probably have to deal with a financial loss.

But you still have options.

Here are a couple of diamonds with similar specs to yours from James Allen, which are priced at $6,700-$7,500:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.07-carat-f-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-352133
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.01-carat-e-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-175738

Here are some diamonds in the $5,600-6,700 range that do not appear to have bowties and would likely fit into your setting:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.00-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-sku-308952
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.05-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-356775
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.03-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-sku-351928

If you went even lower in color, the diamond would cost even less, I found G-J diamonds that were in the $3k range, but the dimensions weren't similar enough. I specifically used James Allen for examples because of the video feature so you can see how the diamond looks as it moves, identifying bowties easily.

I'd recommend selling the center stone. Jewels By Grace takes consignments, Good Old Gold takes consignments or you could sell it yourself on LoupeTroop or Diamond Bistro, but doing so might prove difficult because you have been so negative about the stone in this thread. I don't know if anyone would take it in trade towards another, different diamond, but it's worth asking anyway. You seem happy with the setting. So I'd sell the center stone, taking a bit of a loss, and set a CZ or a cheap colored stone into the setting FOR NOW, and save up the money to get what you want in a couple years. Or just sell the whole thing.

I have a colored stone that would likely fit into the setting perfectly, but the coloring is all wrong. My point there is that other people probably have a gemstone that would work too, if you wanted to sell the setting.

I understand that you've had a traumatic last year, I have lost my mother so I get that. But dwelling on this and not doing anything about it is just going to make it feel worse and worse. So I suggest taking some kind of action into fixing this for your mental well-being.

I hope you hear back from Mark soon.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I say do the ERD buyback at 65% and save yourself the headache of consignment, since it's secondhand now and you will incur consignment fees, transaction fees, etc. and probably only net slightly more than 65% anyway, and who knows how long it will take to sell? Buyback gives you cash in-hand now, and go buy an RB in a solitaire (sell the mounting on DB or via consignment) or get a new oval to fit your halo.

And maybe ERD will even consider doing a little better than 65% value on a trade towards a round brilliant. Can't hurt to ask, since Mark knows you've never liked the stone.

Why, oh why, didn't you just return the diamond for a 100% refund when you had the chance?

Whatever path you choose, I strongly recommend getting rid of it even with the loss in value. You basically have $6500 sitting hostage in a drawer right now, doing nobody any good. Left in the drawer it's worth zero. Disposed of it's worth thousands of dollars for use to pay medical bills or to buy a ring you'll actually love and enjoy wearing. Let go of the fact that you're losing money - we've all been there. It happens.

Sorry for your troubles this past year, and the loss of your mom. Hoping you find your way towards a good decision so that you can move forward.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
i dont think u should sell it back to ERD(Brilliantly Engaged).
Just because of how frustrated it made you in the past contacting Mark, i dont think it'll put you in any better of a mood.

if you don't need the money right now and you're just going to put it away, why not consign it with someone? i dont think it hurts to sign a consignment agreement. if it doesnt sell, you can always get it back and sell back to ERD for 65%.

JewelsbyGrace does consignment. i just bought my diamond from grace, and i can tell you that she's the nicest person to work with. she is soo happy and cheery and will definitely not make you frustrated with the whole process.

if you just send her all the information about your diamond with some pictures she can give you a ballpark estimate on how much it can get listed for. i think she only charges 15% consignment rate which means you can get 85% of your money back and im sure she can give you a nice discount on a future ring if you decide to buy from her.

p.s. here's a thought. why not try to start a new thread as this one has a negative affect on your emotions.

p.p.s. as far as ovals go, i really dont think your pear looks half bad. it's one of the nicest ovals i've seen and i dont think the bow tie is that big or dark but those are just personal opinions and i have very low standards when it comes to ovals/pears due to the bowtie. (kind of a you're guilty until proven innocent mentality)

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
dawnxcui|1412974420|3765575 said:
i dont think u should sell it back to ERD(Brilliantly Engaged).
Just because of how frustrated it made you in the past contacting Mark, i dont think it'll put you in any better of a mood.

if you don't need the money right now and you're just going to put it away, why not consign it with someone? i dont think it hurts to sign a consignment agreement. if it doesnt sell, you can always get it back and sell back to ERD for 65%.

JewelsbyGrace does consignment. i just bought my diamond from grace, and i can tell you that she's the nicest person to work with. she is soo happy and cheery and will definitely not make you frustrated with the whole process.

if you just send her all the information about your diamond with some pictures she can give you a ballpark estimate on how much it can get listed for. i think she only charges 15% consignment rate which means you can get 85% of your money back and im sure she can give you a nice discount on a future ring if you decide to buy from her.

p.s. here's a thought. why not try to start a new thread as this one has a negative affect on your emotions.

p.p.s. as far as ovals go, i really dont think your pear looks half bad. it's one of the nicest ovals i've seen and i dont think the bow tie is that big or dark but those are just personal opinions and i have very low standards when it comes to ovals/pears due to the bowtie. (kind of a you're guilty until proven innocent mentality)

But remember, she won't get 85% of her cost back on consignment after the fee because it's a pre-loved ring (no one will pay the same price for a pre-loved consignment ring when they can get the same ring brand new for the same price). She won't get full retail back for it, especially now that there's a thread on PS going on and on about how dark and un-sparkly the oval is and how much she despises the diamond. Best case is that she'd get maybe 80% of what she paid as a resale price, then minus the consignment fee and any credit card/paypal fees, and factoring in the time it takes to sell.

I'm usually all for consignment, and Grace is definitely the woman for the job (I used to be the woman behind the woman, yanno, lol), but unless she bought it for a steal or prices have shot up on ovals, the 65% buyback deal is a sure thing and means instant cash with which to turn her frown upside down - and the result to her pocket will probably be the same, give or take. And, with consignment, if it doesn't sell there's usually a minimum cash fee for the time spent by the consignment shop.

Either way, she'll be lucky to recoup 60-70% of what she paid for it. Probably not any more than that, and possibly quite a bit less. :( I'm of the opinion that the sooner she accepts this hit, the sooner she can move on to something new that makes her happy. And I genuinely want her to be happy - it's been a tough year for her. ERD buyback is the path of least resistance, IMO. But consignment is, of course, also a feasible option for her, if the shop thinks that she can net more than 65% of her purchase price back in her pocket.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ericad|1412970509|3765551 said:
I say do the ERD buyback at 65% and save yourself the headache of consignment, since it's secondhand now and you will incur consignment fees, transaction fees, etc. and probably only net slightly more than 65% anyway, and who knows how long it will take to sell? Buyback gives you cash in-hand now, and go buy an RB in a solitaire (sell the mounting on DB or via consignment) or get a new oval to fit your halo.

And maybe ERD will even consider doing a little better than 65% value on a trade towards a round brilliant. Can't hurt to ask, since Mark knows you've never liked the stone.

Why, oh why, didn't you just return the diamond for a 100% refund when you had the chance?

Whatever path you choose, I strongly recommend getting rid of it even with the loss in value. You basically have $6500 sitting hostage in a drawer right now, doing nobody any good. Left in the drawer it's worth zero. Disposed of it's worth thousands of dollars for use to pay medical bills or to buy a ring you'll actually love and enjoy wearing. Let go of the fact that you're losing money - we've all been there. It happens.

Sorry for your troubles this past year, and the loss of your mom. Hoping you find your way towards a good decision so that you can move forward.

Yes. Exactly. Whether you use the funds for debt, for another ring, or a little bit of both, I just can't understand how it sitting in a box is good for anything except lamenting about the issue.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Erica, hopefully Mark will take your stone back as some sort of trade. You should be able to get from him instead a cheaper lower colour and clarity stone - hopefully an oval that fits that you like better, OR as previously stated a Round brilliant, and sell your setting preloved via the forums we have all already mentioned.

I think people are frustrated with you for a number of reasons. It is neither fair nor reasonable to expect to suddenly get 100% back for your diamond a year later. You knew you hated it when you purchased it, and you had the opportunity - in fact most of the people here, myself included strongly suggested you return it when there was a full return period but you failed to so this for whatever reason.

Unfortunately this now means the onus is on you to take some responsibility for your decision, not blame the vendor, not blame the universe, and not blame the stone. I am sorry you are obviously upset, confused and this is possibly making you more indecisive. If you cannot get someone from ERD via email then phone them. Tell them firmly you wish to trade the stone and find out all the alternatives they can offer you. Post all the stones they can offer you in this thread or on the main board and everyone will do their best to help find you another, better diamond that hopefully you will be happier with.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why, oh why, didn't you just return the diamond for a 100% refund when you had the chance

Whether you use the funds for debt, for another ring, or a little bit of both, I just can't understand how it sitting in a box is good for anything except lamenting about the issue.

It seems this may be the real issue here.

Per ERD policy, you (the OP) could've easily returned the stone after deciding you didn't care for it, but against the advice of countless posters, you didn't return it, but continued to complain...

Many other alternative solutions were offered, but you chose not to act on any of them... It's been an ENTIRE YEAR since then, and the stone is collecting dust. Clearly, you're still upset about it, and the argument as to why you feel you *have to* keep it (or lack thereof) is still the same.

So the SA at ERD told you it was a great stone... you happened to disagree. This was the opportunity to get another stone (not blame ERD). This was the time many PS members literally BEGGED you to HELP YOURSELF and remedy the problem. Obviously, you chose not to do so. Instead, you kept talking in circles about how you were stuck with it and ignoring others attempts to get through to you that time was of the essence, especially since you were so concerned about losing the least amount of money possible.

So what happened?? The return period expired of course, pretty much guaranteeing a much greater loss. This was no one's fault but your own.

Now a year has passed, but the story regarding the ring is the same...

Seriously, OP... either trade or sell the stone and/or ring, or just don't wear it -- but please don't continue to complain and play the victim, because you aren't a victim and it won't help the situation anyway... it can only make you feel worse.

Like others have stated previously, I am unsure what outcome you expect or even want, exactly. If the answer is to find the best possible solution to your problem, that has been done (and continues to be done) ad nauseam in this thread. That said...

There are times when people would rather complain and knowingly make the situation worse than simply getting on the right track to a solution. You can either be one of those people and continue to feel sorry for yourself, OR you can EMPOWER YOURSELF to get the ball rolling toward a solution so you can be at ease -- even happy -- with your ring! Ultimately, it's a choice, and it's up to you.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
msop04|1413097866|3766017 said:
Why, oh why, didn't you just return the diamond for a 100% refund when you had the chance

Whether you use the funds for debt, for another ring, or a little bit of both, I just can't understand how it sitting in a box is good for anything except lamenting about the issue.

It seems this may be the real issue here.

Per ERD policy, you (the OP) could've easily returned the stone after deciding you didn't care for it, but against the advice of countless posters, you didn't return it, but continued to complain...

Many other alternative solutions were offered, but you chose not to act on any of them... It's been an ENTIRE YEAR since then, and the stone is collecting dust. Clearly, you're still upset about it, and the argument as to why you feel you *have to* keep it (or lack thereof) is still the same.

So the SA at ERD told you it was a great stone... you happened to disagree. This was the opportunity to get another stone (not blame ERD). This was the time many PS members literally BEGGED you to HELP YOURSELF and remedy the problem. Obviously, you chose not to do so. Instead, you kept talking in circles about how you were stuck with it and ignoring others attempts to get through to you that time was of the essence, especially since you were so concerned about losing the least amount of money possible.

So what happened?? The return period expired of course, pretty much guaranteeing a much greater loss. This was no one's fault but your own.

Now a year has passed, but the story regarding the ring is the same...

Seriously, OP... either trade or sell the stone and/or ring, or just don't wear it -- but please don't continue to complain and play the victim, because you aren't a victim and it won't help the situation anyway... it can only make you feel worse.

Like others have stated previously, I am unsure what outcome you expect or even want, exactly. If the answer is to find the best possible solution to your problem, that has been done (and continues to be done) ad nauseam in this thread. That said...

There are times when people would rather complain and knowingly make the situation worse than simply getting on the right track to a solution. You can either be one of those people and continue to feel sorry for yourself, OR you can EMPOWER YOURSELF to get the ball rolling toward a solution so you can be at ease -- even happy -- with your ring! Ultimately, it's a choice, and it's up to you.

I love this post, thank you !!!

(especially for you, OP: I AM so sorry for the loss of your Mother....)

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lily,

First off, I am sorry for the loss of your mother. I lost my own mother four years ago and understand how traumatic this was for you.

Others have given suggestions that may result in a 35% loss of money for you.

I'm going to suggest something completely out of the box that may be worth looking into.

Garry Holloway posted pictures earlier about a different faceting pattern that reduces the bow-tie in ovals. What if you sent your diamond to someone (for example Garry, Brian Gavin, or Wink Jones) who could get your diamond analyzed to see if it could be recut to reduce or eliminate the bow tie? I don't know the particulars of your diamond, nor am I a cutter myself, but it would be something I would look into before giving up. Wink recut a sapphire for me, it did lose some weight, but the girdle was untouched so it went back into the same mounting, and I was very pleased with the transformation. Since this is on a stone by stone basis, they may comeback and say, nope, not possible, but I would consider all of my options before giving up.

Good luck to you.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe because I haven't been very involved in this thread for the past year, I'm not frustrated by it. By their very nature human do illogical things - and we don't know why we do it. Personal/financial - over a lifetime we all do it. Ex. - Stay in bad relationships?/ not return an expensive ring? Lots of friends (or in this instance strangers), can offer advice, but we're still paralyzed to act. Clearly this was a more complex decision for OP than it seemed on the outside - where the next steps seemed so obvious a year ago. There's something deeper going on here. Now - OPs mom has had a illness and passed. That sounds like a tremendous loss to OP (it was to me as well, when my mom died - OMG). She's not thinking clearly. The 2 ends of the spectrum are: Get a different, sparklier, less bow-tie-y oval for no additional $ OR - decide she's happy with the ring she has. Neither is possible, of course - but I would literally write these down on a piece of paper and plot where all the possible alternative (trade/sell etc) fall on the spectrum. Probably some action is better than no action. I'm wishing you the best in this process, Lilly!!

michellekbrown

Rough_Rock
This is so ironic that I stumbled onto this thread. I've been trying to figure out a way to trade my 1 G VSI carat brilliant solitaire in for an oval diamond just like Lilly's without having to pay a huge upgrade fee with my vendor. I wonder if there would be a way to make this happen so that we're both happy and not out a ton of money...?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
michellekbrown said:
This is so ironic that I stumbled onto this thread. I've been trying to figure out a way to trade my 1 G VSI carat brilliant solitaire in for an oval diamond just like Lilly's without having to pay a huge upgrade fee with my vendor. I wonder if there would be a way to make this happen so that we're both happy and not out a ton of money...?

It would be a mitzvah! Michelle, put a "wanted to swap" post up in the Pre-Loved section ... eve if Lilly isn't reading anymore, somebody else out there might be delighted with the possibility.

Lilly ... again, dunno if you're still reading, but what the hey. I've watched your thread develop without chiming in, for two reasons: one, you were getting an awful lot of good advice already, pretty much identical to what I would have said, and, two, from the sound of it, the issue is partially the diamond, but partially your state of mind, and ain't no amount of well intentioned Internet advice from strangers that can fix that.

I don't want to play armchair psychologist, but, please, at least add me to the chorus of voices expressing condolences and suggesting it might help to talk to someone in person. A lot of what you've been saying from the get-go has sounded so familiar to me - the "why does this always happen to me," basically - that reminds me of my depressed friends & family. If it's not just the ring, if you genuinely feel "cursed," as you said at one point in the thread ... please, do consider finding a counselor, therapist, or religious advisor to help you through this.

Good luck with your ring.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
cflutist|1413125921|3766083 said:
Lily,
I'm going to suggest something completely out of the box that may be worth looking into.

Garry Holloway posted pictures earlier about a different faceting pattern that reduces the bow-tie in ovals. What if you sent your diamond to someone (for example Garry, Brian Gavin, or Wink Jones) who could get your diamond analyzed to see if it could be recut to reduce or eliminate the bow tie? I don't know the particulars of your diamond, nor am I a cutter myself, but it would be something I would look into before giving up. Wink recut a sapphire for me, it did lose some weight, but the girdle was untouched so it went back into the same mounting, and I was very pleased with the transformation. Since this is on a stone by stone basis, they may comeback and say, nope, not possible, but I would consider all of my options before giving up.
what a great idea! why didnt any of us think of that. GJ!

michellekbrown

Rough_Rock
Circe|1413467052|3767899 said:
michellekbrown said:

It would be a mitzvah! Michelle, put a "wanted to swap" post up in the Pre-Loved section ... eve if Lilly isn't reading anymore, somebody else out there might be delighted with the possibility.

Lilly ... again, dunno if you're still reading, but what the hey. I've watched your thread develop without chiming in, for two reasons: one, you were getting an awful lot of good advice already, pretty much identical to what I would have said, and, two, from the sound of it, the issue is partially the diamond, but partially your state of mind, and ain't no amount of well intentioned Internet advice from strangers that can fix that.

I don't want to play armchair psychologist, but, please, at least add me to the chorus of voices expressing condolences and suggesting it might help to talk to someone in person. A lot of what you've been saying from the get-go has sounded so familiar to me - the "why does this always happen to me," basically - that reminds me of my depressed friends & family. If it's not just the ring, if you genuinely feel "cursed," as you said at one point in the thread ... please, do consider finding a counselor, therapist, or religious advisor to help you through this.

Good luck with your ring.

Hey Circe!

I'm still such a newbie to using PS. How do I access the Pre-loved section???

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
michellekbrown said:

Hi Michelle! I'm not Circe, but you can find the Pre-loved section by going to Forum > Pricescope Cafe > Preloved PS Jewels. HTH.

michellekbrown

Rough_Rock
VirginiaZee|1413480125|3768020 said:
michellekbrown said:

Hi Michelle! I'm not Circe, but you can find the Pre-loved section by going to Forum > Pricescope Cafe > Preloved PS Jewels. HTH.

Great, thank you for your help VirginiaZee!!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lily I have been following your thread. If you want to take control of your own happiness with regard to this ring and stone, and no longer play the victim, TAKE this opportunity!! Follow up with Michelle. Do it NOW! Good luck to you and Michelle both.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Lily, I hope sometime you feel like you are in a place where you can do something about your ring, with a genuine feeling that to do so is going to make you happy. Unhappiness is a part of life that we can't avoid but I believe, we're put on this earth to have a balanced experience and getting used to being unhappy and becoming accustomed to the feelings that accompany unhappiness shouldn't be allowed to become the defining feature of our lives.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
michellekbrown|1413429795|3767742 said:

This would be great! I hope she sees your message! Honestly, I suspect she has one of the better ovals. I trust ERD. So you might be able to get a really great ring!

michellekbrown

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1413517332|3768349 said:
michellekbrown|1413429795|3767742 said:

This would be great! I hope she sees your message! Honestly, I suspect she has one of the better ovals. I trust ERD. So you might be able to get a really great ring!

I trust ERD as well diamondseeker, and the fact that they personally selected the diamond for her and that it has such great specifications is reassuring. However, since Lilly hasn't responded I'm thinking that she took herself off the notifications from this thread, which is a bummer! It could have been a great solution for both of us.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results