shape
carat
color
clarity

General Pet Peeves

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
I thought of something.
36.gif

I have been to several of my daughter''s chorus performances this year.
Why oh Why do people TALK during the concert?????

I just don''t get it. Why go to a concert if you''re going to talk. I actually feel my blood
pressure rise when people talk.

Last night these three selfish b*tches sitting in front were talking. I was tempted to offer to repay them for their
tickets if they would just leave.
Thankfully two of them left at intermission.
41.gif

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Another irritant for me is when people talk out loud in Church services. Don''t they know that this isn''t a time for chit chat or unecessary talking? I also get really annoyed when people with small children let their kids talk or CRY endlessly during the service. Take them out somewhere until they stop for heaven''s sake! I''ve really not been in a church anywhere that doesn''t have a "cry room" or some other place outside of the general congregation area where you can take fussy or restless children.

One the same note, people who have older children and allow them to have snacks and toys to keep them amused during church services. I can see doing that for little ones, but when they get past three or four years old, it just isn''t cool IMO. I sat behind one family once who had several OBVIOUSLY school aged children. All during the service, the mom kept pulling entertainment out of her bag. She had toys, she had crayons and coloring books, she had little bags of treats. But the worst was when she pulled out one of those talking books! You know, the ones that have buttons to push on the pages and recorded words and sounds are played! I was just flabbergasted. Every little bit through the service you''d hear this recorded voice from the book say something like "the cow goes MOOOOO" or "the duck goes QUACK". That was one of those times where you just have to shake your head and wonder about people!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I just hate that!!!
29.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2005 2
6.gif
9:11 PM
Author: MichelleCarmen

Also, I''m becoming more and more annoyed that when I''m shopping at places like Bath and Body works and when they ask for my number and I say it''s unlisted they don''t take the hint and drop it, but instead argue on and on with me about how they''re just going to send me coupons.

Heheheee - one of my peeves too. Hey, if I wanted the coupons that badly, don''t you think I''d give up the info?

First, I reply "no phone". For those that press the issue, I smile and reply "123-4567" OR if they particularly tick me off...."666-6666" with a devilish grin.
11.gif

bluedawg

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/23/2005 10:33:12 AM
Author: aljdewey

6.gif

Also, I'm becoming more and more annoyed that when I'm shopping at places like Bath and Body works and when they ask for my number and I say it's unlisted they don't take the hint and drop it, but instead argue on and on with me about how they're just going to send me coupons.

Heheheee - one of my peeves too. Hey, if I wanted the coupons that badly, don't you think I'd give up the info?

First, I reply 'no phone'. For those that press the issue, I smile and reply '123-4567' OR if they particularly tick me off....'666-6666' with a devilish grin.
11.gif
9.gif
Love the 666- exchange. Hilarious!

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/23/2005 1:54:20 AM
Author: Mara

sjz this reminded me that one of my biggest pet peeves are people who get into their cars and sit there forever when they know other people are waiting! and of course don''t signal to me to say they see me there at least.

i always try to be courteous if i know someone is waiting for my spot, esp since at malls here the parking is just INSANE and you are lucky to ever find a spot any time of the year not to mention that rush of happiness when you have found one or someone walking to their car...Greg actually feels the same way you do, he gets irritated when people sit there and wait for the spot and/or honk etc...but I am the opposite...the person who is tapping their foot waiting thinking, ANOTHER coat of lipstick?
9.gif

though if no one is behind me or I can pull off to the side and wait, I am usually more patient, but if 3 other cars are backed up behind me while i wait for the person in the car to get off the cell or something...that bugs.
2.gif

Mara, I get irritated at the people who take absolutely FOREVER to leave a parking spot, too. And trust me, I usually try to get out of mine as quickly as I can. And I would never let traffic back up while I was putting on lipstick or something. But occasionally, especially when my kids were babies, it did take a minute or two to load up my purchases, my kids, and get everyone buckled in and settled, or times when I had to make an urgent phone call or something and it did take me longer. I just think it''s so rude to keep honking at someone who obviously has their hands full, or to shout obscenities or give someone the finger just because they didn''t give up their parking space quickly enough.

This also reminds me of another peeve...I hate it when I''ve sat and waited for a parking space for a while, and the person FINALLY leaves, only to have a car coming from the other direction swoop in out of nowhere and get the spot before I do.

sjz

Brilliant_Rock

6.gif

Also, I''m becoming more and more annoyed that when I''m shopping at places like Bath and Body works and when they ask for my number and I say it''s unlisted they don''t take the hint and drop it, but instead argue on and on with me about how they''re just going to send me coupons.

Heheheee - one of my peeves too. Hey, if I wanted the coupons that badly, don''t you think I''d give up the info?

First, I reply ''no phone''. For those that press the issue, I smile and reply ''123-4567'' OR if they particularly tick me off....''666-6666'' with a devilish grin.
11.gif
I don''t like giving out personal information in a store, either. Especially if I''m paying cash. I asked once when a clerk was pressing me for my phone number, and I didn''t want to give it WHY is was so important. She said it was so if I wanted to return the item, they would have a record of my purchase, and they used customer phone numbers to track purchases. I was thinking "bulls*%@", you want to track ME! I asked why my receipt wouldn''t be good enough if I wanted to return my purchase and she couldn''t give me an answer. This was at Victoria''s Secret. Not that I''m embarassed to be buying my lingerie there, but I don''t need somebody tracking the fact that I''m buying a bustier...lol. I ended up winning the battle and purchasing my undergarments annonymously.
20.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2005 10:45:15 AM
Author: sjz

She said it was so if I wanted to return the item, they would have a record of my purchase, and they used customer phone numbers to track purchases.
That''s BS.....most of them track it by your CC #.....and as you said, if you pay cash, you have a receipt.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
This is terrible I know, but I find that whole phone number thing so annoying that I give out the school registrars phone number. I felt bad about doing it one day in Parisens so I told the other girls at Panhellenic that night and now they do it to. Now stores can track all the co-eds here and think we all must have major spending issues.
27.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2005 10
6.gif
7:19 AM
Author: bluedawg
And on the subject of littering...

Why do some smokers think it''s okay to throw their butts out the car window?

Bleck! I hate that!
29.gif
And, it''s dangerous. It causes fires. I had one LIT butt come in MY car window. Could have caused a wreck at the very least.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know why this bothers me the way it does......but I''m getting sick of dept stores asking for your ZIP code too. Conceptually I understand why they do it....it gives them marketing info, etc.....but it just bugs me that you have to give up ANY information or jump through hoops just to make a damn cash purchase. So......I give them an incorrect ZIP code. It''s stupid, I know, but I feel like it''s one small step against big brotherism.

Many have covered other things......HATE when someone behind me stands ON TOP of me. BACK OFF!

Hate when folks in cube environment can''t speak in appropriate volume....I''m easily distracted, and it bugs me.

Despite being asked 3 times what I''d like because someone asked but didn''t pay attention to the answer the first two times I replied. If you''re not interested until you get to that point, then don''t ask me until then. It''s not rocket science.....CREAM AND SUGAR. How hard is it?

When the coffee store clerk gives you the cup with coffee OBVIOUSLY dripping down the side of the cup. What makes you think *I* want to get coffee all over myself? Wipe down the cup, please.

When fast food chains insist on sticking PEOPLE WHO DON''T SPEAK ENGLISH well onto the damn speaker....again, repeat your order 14 times becuase they can''t understnad the word "sugar". UGH. I know everyone has to have a job, but doesn''t it make MORE sense to put someone on who actually comprehends the language?

Baggers in the supermarket who are more interested in gabbing with the cashier about their weekend plans instead of making sure you don''t stick my loaf of bread on the bottom of the sack. GRRRRRRRRRRR.

People who chat on their cell phones in a restaurant with no regard for surrounding patrons.

Oh, there are SOOOO many....hehehehe

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Here, you have to have a "card" for all the shopping places to have the privledge of getting the "sale" price. My key ring is so full of those dopey plastic "cards". And, yeah, the big brother thing - do they really have to track how many Paninis I buy?

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/23/2005 11
6.gif
3:41 AM
Author: Matatora
This is terrible I know, but I find that whole phone number thing so annoying that I give out the school registrars phone number. I felt bad about doing it one day in Parisens so I told the other girls at Panhellenic that night and now they do it to. Now stores can track all the co-eds here and think we all must have major spending issues.
27.gif

I''ve given false info, too. But I usually reserve that for realtors...lol. I love to go to open houses in the new subdivisions in my area. Don''t know why, but it''s fun. I love to see the different design ideas and interior decorating and so forth. But the realtors always have a sign up sheet for you to fill out when you walk in the door, and I''ve learned from past experience once they get your name or phone number, they will start badgering you every time a house comes up on the market. Realtors and car salesmen are some of the most tenacious people I''ve ever met! So I have an alias that I use, and I give them my deceased grandmother''s old phone number...
11.gif
I know, it''s evil, but it''s better than having those pesky realtors calling me up and driving by my house all the time.

clammer

Shiny_Rock
When I''m driving, why can''t people give me the thank you wave when I let you in. If they don''t they''ve ruined for everyone for the rest of the day. No one else is getting in front of me. Yup, I know it''s dumb but it makes me feel better.

This is my biggest one. When the drink is obviously gone and people still slurp with the straw just in case there might be a drop left. I hate the slurp noise.

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
People who mow their grass, or start work on their new deck with power tools, at 7.30 in the morning.

People who park right by our street''s mailbox, so the mailman refuses to deliver mail because he can''t get to the box from his little car.

People who go to the "15 items or less" checkout with 16 items "but two of them are the same so it doesn''t count".

People who park right in the middle of two spaces in a really busy car park.

People who come to my door selling something, who start off by insisting they''re not selling anything, and take half an hour to get to the point.  Actually, anyone who comes to my door who isn''t invited or delivering something.  Especially peddlars of religion.

People who let their dogs poop where other people walk, or kids play, and don''t scoop.

TV ads that offer some special deal "but only if you call in the next 30 seconds", when the same ads have been running for the past five years.

People sitting behind me in the movie theater who describe everything that happens during the movie. Is their date is blind, deaf and stupid?

I also hate it when people eat food in a supermarket as they walk round, then present the empty wrapper to the cashier as if it''s OK as long as you pay for it.  I once complained about this to my work colleagues, and they all looked at me like I was mad: they all did this very thing and thought it was totally acceptable.  Must just be me then
20.gif

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/23/2005 12:53:18 PM
Author: cinnabar

I also hate it when people eat food in a supermarket as they walk round, then present the empty wrapper to the cashier as if it''s OK as long as you pay for it. I once complained about this to my work colleagues, and they all looked at me like I was mad: they all did this very thing and thought it was totally acceptable. Must just be me then
20.gif
I don''t see a problem with that, as long as the person pays for what they''ve eaten. I''ve been guilty of that one, myself! Especially when the kids were really small, and I had a lot of shopping to do and they got fussy. It was no big deal to grab a box of animal crakcers or cookies or whatever and let them have a snack while I finished my shopping. The cashiers at the checkout never seemed to mind. They seemed used to it... as if it was done all the time, as a matter of fact.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2005 11
6.gif
6.gif
6 AM

Baggers in the supermarket who are more interested in gabbing with the cashier about their weekend plans instead of making sure you don''t stick my loaf of bread on the bottom of the sack. GRRRRRRRRRRR.
You hit the nail on the head with this one.
I absolutely hate this.

My son has applied for a job at a local supermarket. I sat him down and told him don''t do the following if you get this job:

1. Don''t chat with other cashiers
2. Don''t be rude to customers
3. Don''t talk about how "I need to go on break- I''ve been working all day......"
4. Don''t talk about weekend plans
5. And don''t by any means talk on your cell phone while stocking the shelves. (I actually saw a kid doing this and every other word out of his mouth was profanity) Idiot.

My son said "don''t worry Mom, I don''t even have a cell phone"
36.gif

CanadianGal

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/23/2005 1
6.gif
6:32 PM

I also hate it when people eat food in a supermarket as they walk round, then present the empty wrapper to the cashier as if it''s OK as long as you pay for it. I once complained about this to my work colleagues, and they all looked at me like I was mad: they all did this very thing and thought it was totally acceptable. Must just be me then
20.gif
I don''t see a problem with that, as long as the person pays for what they''ve eaten. I''ve been guilty of that one, myself! Especially when the kids were really small, and I had a lot of shopping to do and they got fussy. It was no big deal to grab a box of animal crakcers or cookies or whatever and let them have a snack while I finished my shopping. The cashiers at the checkout never seemed to mind. They seemed used to it... as if it was done all the time, as a matter of fact.
I was a cashier in a grocery store for 4 years ... people do this all the time, and it is usually ok, EXCEPT when they forget to tell you that they have opened 1/2 of their groceries and they spill EVERYWHERE and then they expect to get a whole new package, so really they pay for one item and get 1.5, because they already ate half. Also, its really bad when people eat, or let there kids eat a piece of fruit that is by weight, and they hand you a banana peel and say , "we ate this
31.gif
hee hee ." What the heck!??

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/23/2005 1:26:41 PM
Author: CanadianGal

Date: 4/23/2005 1
6.gif
6:32 PM

20.gif
I was a cashier in a grocery store for 4 years ... people do this all the time, and it is usually ok, EXCEPT when they forget to tell you that they have opened 1/2 of their groceries and they spill EVERYWHERE and then they expect to get a whole new package, so really they pay for one item and get 1.5, because they already ate half. Also, its really bad when people eat, or let there kids eat a piece of fruit that is by weight, and they hand you a banana peel and say , ''we ate this
31.gif
hee hee .'' What the heck!??
Oh, well, the produce nibblers get on my nerves, I have to admit. Same goes for the people who buy stuff in the bulk foods section. I''ve seen people get a bulk bag of cookies or candies or something, and eat half of it before they get to the register. Then, they only pay for what''s left in the bag, not what''s in their stomach. Same thing with bags of grapes and stuff. As far as eating the produce right off the shelf...yuk! I wash everything really well before I eat it. I''m too afraid of pesticides and all that junk they put on the fruits and veggies. I don''t want to eat that stuff!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
they particularly tick me off....'666-6666' with a devilish grin.
11.gif
lol - You've inspired me! For now on my zip code is going to be 98666 (which, funny enough, IS a real WA state zip code)! hehehe

Our CPA attends government meetings and told my MIL that NEVER to buy a vehicle with GPS because this is used to track where you're going
6.gif
hmmm. . .something I'll look into if you're especially paranoid
32.gif
!

Oh, and to add to my rant regarding tracking. . .I'm very much against giving out my info, but once spaced out and gave my name and address to a sales woman at the MAC counter. Two weeks later, in the mail, comes a little white Nordstrom envelope which I innocently opened in front of my husband only to discover it was a thank you card thanking me for my purchase! This REALLY pissed me off. My husband could care less that I blow money on overpriced cosmetics, BUT, he doesn't like when the purchase is flaunted in his face! (and I didn't even spend very much - less than $75 - but DH didn't believe me when I assured him of this.)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
re: eating food in supermarket...I think it is what is acceptable to some vs others based upon how they were raised. I know some people who do it because they were raised that way, aka mom would open something in the store and give it to them while they were all shopping, of course pay for it...but then for kids like me with a very strict mother, no way would my mom ever have thought to do something like that in the store, and so I would never do it either.

Oh another food related pet peeve..when kids or people reach into the 'shared' food bins aka at a Whole Foods or the bulk candy bins and eat out of there. GROSS! Who knows where those hands have been? and I bet they don't pay for 'bulk' items either..what do you say...I ate three gummi worms?

A few more:

Loud popcorn eaters during a movie and

talkers/disturbances during a play or ballet, especially by children...I HATE this, especially if the tickets were expensive. Last Xmas we went to see a Christmas quartet in SF and the tickets were something like $65 each...and there were two kids in the aisle right near us PLAYING...and the parents let them because it kept them quieter than if they were seated (they were fidgeting and talking to the parents)...so these little girls were running up and down the aisle and talking in loud whispers..I was very tempted to speak up but the parents were about 5 rows away from us.

FINALLY someone said something to the parents and the father looked embarassed and hustled them out. I mean does someone realyl NEED to say something to you to know it's not appropriate to have young children in a music concert like that if they can't sit and enjoy the music? It's totally disrespectful to the other paying customers AND the performers. I don't have a problem with trying to introduce culture to your kids, but you should know if they are able to handle it and if so for how long. aka if 30 min is their max, watch for 30 min then leave. Don't let the other 1.5 hours be hell for everyone around you.

Same with ballet, it never fails there is always a child with a parent behind us who has to sit on the parent's lap and be told the whole ballet in a loud whisper. We learned to combat this with more expensive tickets, seems that parents maybe willing to pay $50 a ticket for their kids, but if you pay $75-100 then they leave the kids at home most of the time.

Rebemdee

Shiny_Rock
How often do you say something if somebody is rude?

I have found myself, on an airplane, telling the parent behind me to ask their child to stop kicking the back of my seat. I''ve been in movie theatres and asked the person in front of me to shut their cell phone so the backlight isn''t blinding me. I''ve asked somebody to stop talking in a movie theatre, and got a really dirty look. I''ve had to ask people to stop talking at a comedy club, and at Cirque De Soleil in Las Vegas. I ask, and then find myself worried that I asked, that somebody will get angry and yell at me, or do something harmful. It makes me sad, that as a society we have to ask others to behave in ways that should be common courtesy, and then I''m fearful when I do ask.

The only time I wasn''t worried was when I was with my brother, a 6'' tall, 250 lb muscle guy, and there were two guys speaking loudly in front of us. He asked them to "please be quiet," they turned and started to say something rude, saw him, shut up, and apologized after the movie. That was beautiful.
2.gif

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Pedestrians who jaywalk when the crosswalk is only 20 feet away, and then get angry when you almost run them over! Also, we have a pedestrian/bike path running alongside our neighbourhood, and they have the stop sign at the intetsection...but they never stop, and almost crash into the side of my brand new truck! Of course, I''m the one on the receiving end of the dirty look...
emfist.gif

But, all in all....I believe in live and let live! (And if someone really p*sses me off, I''ll just sic my rude and completely obnoxious husband on them!)

Note: We always took my son outside whenever he was upset/misbehaving, and I think that he learned what kind of behavior was appropriate that way!

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Tawn, you made me remember another huge pet peeve of mine. I live not too far from a state university campus, and all these little college students just cross the street at any given time, WITHOUT even glancing to see if a car is coming. I can''t even tell you how many times I have been driving and suddenly a group of sorority girls ( or other groups
9.gif
) just run out in front of me. The worst is when they WALK in front of oncoming traffic, as if they are so important and the mass of cars will simply stop and let them go, even though they are crossing against the light
29.gif
38.gif

One day I was in a really bad mood and sure enough, some chick just walked out in front of me as I was driving. I slammed on my breaks, she slows down and gives ME the dirty look! I put my window down and yelled a few obsenities at her, basically telling her to watch where she''s going cause next time I won''t stop ( like I said, bad day!). She gave me the finger and kept walking. I wanted to hit her.....
29.gif

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
I have to admit that my husband is one of those people...he says that people will stop! He noses out into traffic as well and never signals! Oh...he also speed up when people are trying to pass! He doesn''t even realize that he''s doing it! I think it''s just his competitive spirit kicking in?

Funny really...that he does most of the things that tick me off!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
My biggest pet peeve are people whom lack patriotism. It breaks my heart. (I am not saying you cant disagree with things just don''t make blanket statements, and be educated about that which you speak of.)
Or when people complain about how much we spend on our military. More then half who serve are applicable for welfare and/or food stamps.
38.gif

Irish Eyes- I know just how you feel. I am still in school and I am not sure why my peers feel like they can run across the street when the walk signal isn’t on. I found out recently that public universities have rule where walkers have the right of way, much like parking lots. This is soo bad. People just jump out in front of cars all the time. Last spring a girl was hit by a truck because she was running across 13th ave. Luckily she lived but people only learned there lesson for a little while.

AL-The Fast Food thing is a personal insult to me. When I first moved here I really wanted a job but had zero instate references. I make good grades, speak English as a first language and I am very neat in both appearance and manor. I applied to four different places and was told by each "that I lacked the necessary skills" or something close to that. Two years of college and I cant put together a burger?
29.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I ALWAYS take my sister out of a movie when she gets restless or upset. If you go to the ticket office and explain why you are leaving the movie they will give you free passes to return, for the same movie. One per person missing the rest of the movie. This is a great policy and I recomend that more people take advantage.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Oh yeah, that military/patriotism thing is a biggie for me! I''m in the military and served in Iraq for 17 months. When I came back and returned to school (two years behind
15.gif
), some b**ch in my class had the nerve to break into some song and dance about how the army is bad and ya-da-ya-da. I asked her how old she was (19), who she lived with ( mommy and daddy) and what life experience she had (not much). I then politely told her that when she grew up and realized how the world really worked and what was really important in life besides highlighting her hair and making googly-eyes to boys, she would realize just how important our military is and what a wonderful country she is lucky enough to live in. I also pointed out how it was people like me and my military buddies who gave her the right to say the crappy things she was saying.

That shut her up.
11.gif

People have a right to their opinion, and so do I......

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2005 10:25:27 PM
Author: Matatora

AL-The Fast Food thing is a personal insult to me. When I first moved here I really wanted a job but had zero instate references. I make good grades, speak English as a first language and I am very neat in both appearance and manor. I applied to four different places and was told by each ''that I lacked the necessary skills'' or something close to that. Two years of college and I cant put together a burger?
29.gif

Maybe I wasn''t clear. I don''t care WHAT nationality ANYONE is in any position, nor do I think anyone should be denied a job based on *assumptions* about what they can do.

What I DO care about is their ability to understand what I am asking for without having to scream ''HOT COFFEE....HOT COFFEE......LARGE HOT COFFEE" into the stupid speaker 4 times before it becomes clear what I''m ordering.

Even then, I didn''t say *that* person shouldn''t have a job......s/he just shouldn''t be working the speaker where communications skills are KEY to getting it right.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Gosh, a pet peeve of mine is when pedestrians aren''t given the right of way. I always yield to peds in high foot traffic areas.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results