shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposal Idea Help (long)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gizmo 98

Rough_Rock
Well, I have the ring box situation worked out. Thanks to all who contributed. Now I could use some advice on the deed itself.

Here''s the plan: My girlfriend will be flying into College Station from PA to meet me. The reason I gave to meet me there (instead of my home) is that it will be one of the few weekends that she will be in town, and I''d really like to show her around Texas A&M and introduce her to my brother. The real reason is I want to propose beneath the Century Tree. Tradition has it that a marriage started with a proposal beneathe the Century Tree will last as long as the tree is alive. When she arrives, she will find out that I have a "flat" or some kind of other mechanical difficulty, and that my brother will be picking her up. Meanwhile, I will be staged with a couple of photographers and some members of the ROTC unit who will perform a sword arch. As my brother walks with her back to his "dorm", they will happen upon us. She will go through the sword arch to meet me (in Navy dress whites) on the other end on bended knee. The next time we pass through a sword arch, it will be after the wedding as man and wife.

Here are some potential problems:
1. Weather--obviously out of my hands, but there is really no contingency for this other than postpone. I''ll have to come up with some other story to get us seperated so I can change and get everything set up.
2. She doesn''t know my brother. It will be awkward and she will be upset. It would only be 15-30 minutes, but maybe someone can think of a better ploy. I just need time to change.
3. Too complicated--I know over-the-top and romantic is the way to go, but the more complicated an operation is, the more things can go wrong.

Another simpler option is to just go walking around campus with her, and propose when we walk by the tree. I just think this may seem like it was too spontaneous.

Sorry I''m so long winded, but I could really use some advice

Fiancee to be

Rough_Rock
The sword arch thing sounds nice and very romantic but there are a lot of things that could go wrong. Also she might be feeling uncomfortable because she is meeting your brother for the first time combined with the sword arch from a bunch of people she''s never seen before, it could be a little intimidating. But this all depends on your girlfriend''s personality, which you know best. Perhaps you could walk with her up to the tree and have your brother set up a picnic on the opposite side of the tree, complete with champagne and flowers. Then as you walk around the tree tell her about the marriage tradition, when she is surprised by the picnic laid out, get down on one knee. Just my suggestion.

-FTB

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
man ,if you could pull that off it would be the best proposal I have ever heard - i''m in tears just reading it!

Gale

Shiny_Rock
I''m with Tresar! Your idea is absolutely fantastic! She should not really mind meeting your brother this way, since you have a legitimate sounding excuse. She''s going to be disappointed it''s not you picking her up, but she''s a grown up and will know you are mere minutes away. If you think she will enjoy this sort of proposal then do it. It will certainly be romantic, and what a way to begin this next stage in your lives together. Maybe another ploy is in order, because a flat seems like something you should be able to handle in 15 minutes. Unfortunately, I have no ideas on that at the moment.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Texas A&M is a great campus (my sister graduates in May with her Masters) the tree is a great place to propose does she know the legend? I have heard that too but perhaps there is something you could buy her a little book or freamd something that would let her understand more so.You could maybe get the story printed on nice parchment or card stock and a picture taken of the tree...so ya''ll can have a tangible thing to remember the exact place. Is there something like this readily avaible? If not you might be able to get it done up for you. I think your idea is great and very cute. Congrats that sounds perfect.

PSAll of us are assuming you girlfriend is a public person and wouldnt rather be alone wiht you for such an intmite moment. If in dont I would error on the side of privacy. Good Luck!

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I''m an aggie too!

I love the saber arch proposal at the century tree (too bad I never dated a guy in corps). Anyway I think you should pick her up from the airport and then say that you have to walk across campus to meet your brother. Then you can happen upon the saber arch. The weather in BCS is always great this time of year, so I don''t think you really need to worry about that. Perhaps you should take her to dinner at Christopher''s afterwards to celebrate.

Gizmo 98

Rough_Rock
It sounds simpler to just pick her up, but I really want to be in uniform when I propose. I think it's more appropriate with the sword arch. I'll give it some thought, though.
(By the way, you just jinxed me with the weather comment. It's sure to pour now!)
41.gif

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Well you could pick her up, tell her you have an outfit or corps meeting to attend and that she can hang out with your brother while you are gone (that way you can be in uniform). Then your brother can suggest a walk around campus and lead her to the century tree.

hopefulbutpoor

Rough_Rock
I agree with others who said it depends on your gf''s personality: if whe is really shy and quiet, this might be very uncomfortable. If she is very extroverted and loud like me (and your reasonably sure she will get along with your brother), then this sounds like a fantastic idea! It shows thought, creativity, and planning. . .you would win my heart - I say go for it!
36.gif

Gizmo 98

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/7/2005 2:46:38 PM
Author: appletini
Well you could pick her up, tell her you have an outfit or corps meeting to attend and that she can hang out with your brother while you are gone (that way you can be in uniform) Then your brother can suggest a walk around campus and lead her to the century tree.
Since I graduated over 5 years ago, the outfit meeting idea probably won''t work. I''ve been complaining about my car for the past few days in order to set the stage for the ''breakdown''. I don''t want to say she''s gullible, but.... Let''s just say I don''t see a problem with that aspect. I have a contact in the Corps who should be able to help me out. If anyone has any other suggestions or advice, please speak up. I really don''t want to screw this up!

BTW, I have the ring. It''s a varna solitare with a square shank. The diamond is a .97, C, SI1, AGS ideal. I tried to post a pic, but my computer is being evil right now.

Thanks Again!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results