shape
carat
color
clarity

Is your ering setting thinner under your finger?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

drk

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

My diamond is just finally being set as we speak. I went in to check out my setting (a two-tone half bezel with a 5mm wide shank) yesterday, and noticed that they''ve made it a bit thinner where it will sit under my finger. Not tapered in width, but less thick, if you know what I mean. I don''t remember seeing that on other rings I tried on, but maybe I was concentrating so much on the top-down view that I didn''t notice it. The jeweller said they make their rings like that because it will be more comfortable to wear with a bit less ring thickness directly under the meaty part of the finger.

Does anyone else''s ring do this too? Is he just putting me on? At this point I''m just dying to finally get the ring, so I figure I''d have the stone set and try it out. If I feel it''s too thin once I''m wearing it with my wedding band in 7 weeks, I''m sure I can get him to thicken it up then. Can''t imagine it''s too hard to add a bit of thickness to a band...

Thanks,
Drk

Layne

Shiny_Rock
My rings do not to that but their combined thickness is about 4mm and they are flat bands. I have seen plenty of rings that are done that way for comfort- if you ring is already 5mm and you plan to add a wedding band it would be very uncomfortable if the back was not tapered, I think.

drk

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the expert comment Steve. Somehow I thought it would be easy to add on metal later - I''m obviously not a jeweller! The ring''s probably only 2.5mm thick by the bezel and maybe 1.5mm thick under the finger. Looks like I''d better hope I like the finished product as is when I get it back on Friday or Monday...

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
My wedding set tapers underneath my finger as well...I believe this is normal (as previously stated)

clammer

Shiny_Rock
My ring was tapered, but i got it "thickened" to sit flush with my wedding band. It looks good but not great, but since it is on the underside of my finger I''m ok with it for now. (I''m hoping for an upgrade soon: diamond and setting) The one thing I have noticed is the area that was redone is already starting to yellow (14k white gold) where as the rest of the ring isn''t.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
None of my rings are like this. Mainly because they all started as wedding bands that were messed with from there. I personally feel that the ring should be the same thickness all over unless the setting part is designed to sit much higher

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results