shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewlery cleaning tips from Jewelers Mutual

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am lifting this wholesale from an American Gem Society newsletter. It is a frequent topic here and I thought this was a nice concise synopsis of much of what is recommended here.

The Do's and Don'ts of Cleaning Your Jewelry cleaning

We asked our friends at Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company to help us out on a topic many of us need right about now: cleaning our jewelry. After all, we want our jewels to sparkle, right? Here are some tips they gave us:

DO read the labels on jewelry cleaning supplies. Some chemicals can be damaging to certain metals and gemstones.
DON'T clean your jewelry with toothpaste. The abrasives in toothpaste can scratch your stones and bands.
DON'T clean your jewelry over the sink or anywhere there is an open drain.
DO use warm water, mild dish soap and a soft bristle toothbrush to get in hard to reach areas.
DO visit your jeweler at least once a year for a professional cleaning and inspection to restore the brilliance of your jewelry and ensure that it's in good condition.

I have removed the advertisement for Jewelers Mutual's Perfect Circle Insurance coverage, but I am well known to be an advocate of having your jewelry properly appraised and insured.

Wink

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds have an affinity for grease. In fact they used grease belts in the past for mining operations.

I just take a baby toothbrush along when I travel and use either the bath gel or liquid shampoo provided in the hotel room or cruise ship. Works just as well as the liquid dishwashing soap at home. That's why I also tell my friends to not waste money on jewelry cleaners.

I can clean the pavilion of my ering diamond without even taking it off. However my Tiffany Fancy Yellow has a basket head which is a pain when trying to clean it.

Of course this method doesn't work so well with tennis bracelets. For those I use a L&R Quantrex ultrasonic cleaner maybe every 1 to 3 months.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The one suggestion that I would make is that the average toothbrush is too coarse to do a good job getting the pavilion really clean, and that is the key to restoring sparkle. I have found that if you go to an art store you can find brushes with thin but firm and flexible bristles that do a much better job of cleaning hard to reach areas. I also think the inexpensive vibrasonic cleaners are really good for doing the soak before brushing to soften up dirt and film. Regular cleaning is key to keeping the buildup from getting "baked on" where you really need a professional cleaning. I am also an advocate for the home steam cleaners available today. That is a final step that really gets your piece squeaky clean.

qwedsy

Rough_Rock
Texas Leaguer|1409953168|3745653 said:
...I have found that if you go to an art store you can find brushes with thin but firm and flexible bristles that do a much better job of cleaning hard to reach areas. I also think the inexpensive vibrasonic cleaners are really good for doing the soak before brushing to soften up dirt and film. Regular cleaning is key to keeping the buildup from getting "baked on" where you really need a professional cleaning. I am also an advocate for the home steam cleaners available today. That is a final step that really gets your piece squeaky clean.

Would you have a picture of the sort of brush? I have been using brushes meant for nail art, but would be interested in buying a more suitable one if I can find one here in a store (from Scandinavia). I would also be interested in hearing suggestions for good steam cleaners available to order online- I think that would make a superb Christmas gift for me if I just find a good one to hint Santa about :naughty:

And then a question that I was already about to post a whole new topic on since it has been bothering me for a few days now; I happened to bump into two short articles or adverts about keeping your diamonds clean this week. I've read your comprehensive topics about cleaning jewelry here before and found them useful, but from these articles I now understood that you could actually make PERMANENT damage to a diamond if it's not cleaned or air dried properly. There was something about the water etc. creating a film that could then contribute to making your rock less bright and brilliant over time. Is this true, that by not cleaning my stone and/or not drying it well enough there can be some permanent damage to the stone that couldn't be undone by cleaning it well enough later on? :confused: I understand that the build up can loosen the prongs, but other than that, I thought it was just "temporary" damage that I could do by not cleaning it in some exactly correct way.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
qwedsy|1410022520|3746003 said:
...I have found that if you go to an art store you can find brushes with thin but firm and flexible bristles that do a much better job of cleaning hard to reach areas. I also think the inexpensive vibrasonic cleaners are really good for doing the soak before brushing to soften up dirt and film. Regular cleaning is key to keeping the buildup from getting "baked on" where you really need a professional cleaning. I am also an advocate for the home steam cleaners available today. That is a final step that really gets your piece squeaky clean.

Would you have a picture of the sort of brush? I have been using brushes meant for nail art, but would be interested in buying a more suitable one if I can find one here in a store (from Scandinavia). I would also be interested in hearing suggestions for good steam cleaners available to order online- I think that would make a superb Christmas gift for me if I just find a good one to hint Santa about :naughty:

And then a question that I was already about to post a whole new topic on since it has been bothering me for a few days now; I happened to bump into two short articles or adverts about keeping your diamonds clean this week. I've read your comprehensive topics about cleaning jewelry here before and found them useful, but from these articles I now understood that you could actually make PERMANENT damage to a diamond if it's not cleaned or air dried properly. There was something about the water etc. creating a film that could then contribute to making your rock less bright and brilliant over time. Is this true, that by not cleaning my stone and/or not drying it well enough there can be some permanent damage to the stone that couldn't be undone by cleaning it well enough later on? :confused: I understand that the build up can loosen the prongs, but other than that, I thought it was just "temporary" damage that I could do by not cleaning it in some exactly correct way.

I can not say I am surprised that you are confused. I imagine that in some areas with REALLY hard water that could be an issue, but even then I can not imagine that a good professional cleaning would not fix it.

I have been in the trade since the 1970's and I have never seen a diamond that was permanently damaged by water spots. Not saying that it can not happen, just that I have never seen it. I can imagine that mineral deposits would be hard for the average person to remove, but those would have to be some deposits to cause permanent damage to the diamond.

Perhaps a jeweler who has seen these kinds of problems can enlighten us as to what happens and why in some areas.

Wink

qwedsy

Rough_Rock
Thank you Wink, that eases my mind! Not to say that I'm not taking care of my stones, just that I would have upped my neuroticness up a notch if there really was truth to that. :think:

I am still hoping for further comments on the topic of permanent damage from the experienced Pricescopers and also suggestions on good brushes and other cleaning supplies available for purchase online.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
As you all know, I am a lunatic about the cleanliness of my rings, so I use distilled as often as possible. And I line my sink with paper towels, and my floors with actual towels. Just in case.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
rinse first with rubbing alcohol, followed by distilled water.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I don't have a picture of the brush, but if you go to an art supply store and look at and feel the various options (there is a large range of sizes and textures available) you will be able to find one that will work nicely. Small warning- some specialty brushes can be rather expensive! But for $5 or so you should be able to get one that does the job.

I don't know of anything in the way or normal cleaning that can permanently damage a diamond. Fire scale is what I think of as the main problem that can't be fixed even by professional cleaning. But that only happens when a jeweler improperly applies heat to a diamond (or in an actual fire).

Jewel Jet is a home steam cleaner which we have experience with and recommend. I think they run about $150 and I agree, a great gift for someone interested in keeping their diamonds looking their best. Blitz has a variety of vibrasonic and ultrasonic cleaners that do a good job for the initial soak. (If you have a pave style you may want to avoid the high power models).

There are probably many other good ones on the market and maybe something more local to you.
Hope this helps.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ame|1410266704|3747643 said:
As you all know, I am a lunatic about the cleanliness of my rings, so I use distilled as often as possible. And I line my sink with paper towels, and my floors with actual towels. Just in case.
Ame,
All I can say is that if something is worth doing, it is worth doing right. Good for you. :clap:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's quite a production lol!

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
Would you have a picture of the sort of brush?

This is an artist's brush that was posted by Junebug17:
img_5387.jpg

This is a special gem brush that was posted by SuzyQ. It is available from http://www.nventa.com/-p-46.html.
file.jpg

These are dental bristle picks that were recommended by Mrs.soontobealfonzo (available from http://www.gumbrand.com/between-teeth-cleaning/picks/gum-soft-picks-15-ct-632rm.html):
632m-2.jpg

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
drk14|1410280521|3747732 said:
Would you have a picture of the sort of brush?

This is an artist's brush that was posted by Junebug17:
img_5387.jpg
The top one is more what I was suggesting. The key is that the bristles have to be fine but STIFF, in order to do a good job.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Texas Leaguer|1410277223|3747706 said:

I don't have a picture of the brush, but if you go to an art supply store and look at and feel the various options (there is a large range of sizes and textures available) you will be able to find one that will work nicely. Small warning- some specialty brushes can be rather expensive! But for $5 or so you should be able to get one that does the job.

I don't know of anything in the way or normal cleaning that can permanently damage a diamond. Fire scale is what I think of as the main problem that can't be fixed even by professional cleaning. But that only happens when a jeweler improperly applies heat to a diamond (or in an actual fire).

Jewel Jet is a home steam cleaner which we have experience with and recommend. I think they run about $150 and I agree, a great gift for someone interested in keeping their diamonds looking their best. Blitz has a variety of vibrasonic and ultrasonic cleaners that do a good job for the initial soak. (If you have a pave style you may want to avoid the high power models).

There are probably many other good ones on the market and maybe something more local to you.
Hope this helps.

Maybe you can answer a question that was asked a while back in Colored Stones, but never really answered......will the steam from a Jewel Jet cause further damage to a diamond with a fracture? I've got a few cheap little colored diamonds that, while I love the colors, do have a few problems. ;-)

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Demon|1410283933|3747780 said:

Hope this helps.

Maybe you can answer a question that was asked a while back in Colored Stones, but never really answered......will the steam from a Jewel Jet cause further damage to a diamond with a fracture? I've got a few cheap little colored diamonds that, while I love the colors, do have a few problems. ;-)
I suppose that theoretically if the diamond was in a very fragile condition it is possible for the steam to aggravate it. But in general I think it is very safe for diamonds. In the world of color gemstones there are more variables to consider. It is always prudent to know as much as you can about the materials you are dealing with.

The steam is delivered in short bursts. The jewelry and gemstones do not get super hot. However, it is a good idea to avoid taking a very cold item and hitting it with a burst of hot steam as expansion could stress it.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Texas Leaguer|1410287043|3747824 said:
Demon|1410283933|3747780 said:

Hope this helps.

I suppose that theoretically if the diamond was in a very fragile condition it is possible for the steam to aggravate it. But in general I think it is very safe for diamonds. In the world of color gemstones there are more variables to consider. It is always prudent to know as much as you can about the materials you are dealing with.

The steam is delivered in short bursts. The jewelry and gemstones do not get super hot. However, it is a good idea to avoid taking a very cold item and hitting it with a burst of hot steam as expansion could stress it.

I don't have any that I'd consider all that fragile, so I'll feel better about using it. Thanks!!

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
What wonderful information! Thank you s much for sharing!

qwedsy

Rough_Rock
"Jewel Jet is a home steam cleaner which we have experience with and recommend. I think they run about $150 and I agree, a great gift for someone interested in keeping their diamonds looking their best. Blitz has a variety of vibrasonic and ultrasonic cleaners that do a good job for the initial soak. (If you have a pave style you may want to avoid the high power models).

Hope this helps."

Thank you Texas Leaguer and others for the recommendations and tips. Seems like Jewel Jet only ships to US. I found one European online store that would ship to my country, but the cost with postage included is over 260 dollars. :o

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results