shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do with smoky quartz brooch?

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
This piece came from my grandmother (who's long been deceased). It's a brooch that doubles as a pendant, but would be incredibly heavy to wear as such.

1. Is it worth getting appraised to see if it's real?

2. Is it normal to have such a large window? I've worn it as a brooch on a wool coat for many years, but never really saw the window bc the coat provides a dark gray background.

_21864.jpg

_21865.jpg

_21866.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is gorgeous - I love how well the colour of the quartz goes with the gold.

It is not unusual for very large gems used in jewelry to be windowed. The deeper the gem, the taller the piece of jewelry has to be, which creates all sorts of issues with balance (tipping over) and plain wearability (for example, a very tall bracelet would not be comfortable to wear).

For example, this HStern bracelet is very, very windowed but the stones are all cut to their specification, since correctly cut gems would make this bracelet double as tall, which would not look good on the wrist. Personally, I don't think the stones look good as they are and this collection drives me batty. I have been known to start ranting when I see their window displays...

http://www.hstern.com.br/joias/p-produto/P1Q174627/pulseira/moonlight/pulseira-de-ouro-nobre-18k-com-cristais-de-rocha-e-diamantes-cognac---colecao-moonlight

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
LadyD said:
That is gorgeous - I love how well the colour of the quartz goes with the gold.

I second that!! In fact if the coat is worn out, I'd buy another just to wear that brooch on it. :bigsmile:

Chances are it is smokey quartz as it is plentiful in all shades of gold/brown/greyish-brown. You could take it to an appraiser who will readily be able to confirm it as smokey quartz or not but more importantly - value it for its age and setting.

LadyD - those bracelet stones and all of their ilk are an abomination, but your last sentence brought a smile to my face :))

ETA: I've always been a brooch person in that when I had jobs where I wore suits daily (or blazer and skirt/pants) there was always a brooch on the lapel. One that I've had soooo many comments on is a large gold daisy with a mabe pearl in the centre - it's fashion jewellery and it cost me $2 :lol: I hardly got any comments on my grandmother's beautiful flower-like diamond engagement ring - when the ring broke for the third time where the shank joins the head, I had it turned into a bar brooch so that I could still wear it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Logan Sapphire|1409575573|3742818 said:
This piece came from my grandmother (who's long been deceased). It's a brooch that doubles as a pendant, but would be incredibly heavy to wear as such.

1. Is it worth getting appraised to see if it's real?

2. Is it normal to have such a large window? I've worn it as a brooch on a wool coat for many years, but never really saw the window bc the coat provides a dark gray background.

Beautiful brooch. The value in that piece is not really in the stone, as smokey quartz, even in large sizes, isn't particularly that valuable. The value is in all that gold (is it gold, and if so, what karatage?), and the workmanship is lovely. Do you know when it was made? Mid 20th century, or earlier?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
love it!
wear it on a ribbon?
brooch on a scarf?
love that you wear it on a coat.
definitely a very useable piece!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am impressed by how sharp all the facet junctions are, since it is an older piece that has been used and quartz isn't the hardest stuff around.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1409588159|3742885 said:
I am impressed by how sharp all the facet junctions are, since it is an older piece that has been used and quartz isn't the hardest stuff around.

That's why I'm wondering if it's fake. It does have two lines that look like scratches but I can't feel any ridges with my fingers. I'm pretty sure it wasn't worn often, especially by my mom, and I have it on a coat that I rarely wear.

It's 14kt and is super heavy. Unfortunately I can't ask my grandmother about as she died about 25 years ago and my mom doesn't know and has little interest in it (which is how it came to me).

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful doorknob! :love: :love: :love: :love:

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wowza! That is a gorgeous heirloom piece! If it is all 14K, there appears to be a lot of gold which could make it valuable ........ BUT, to me it is a classic and beautiful piece that I would cherish just the way it is. Although you have worn it with a coat have you thought of wearing it as a centerpiece (brooch like) on V necked items? Or gathering material at the waistline.......over belly button on appropriate materials? And scarves.......oh my! I'd have so much fun playing with this piece and it IS gorgeous!! Enjoy! :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Logan Sapphire|1409593033|3742914 said:

That's why I'm wondering if it's fake. It does have two lines that look like scratches but I can't feel any ridges with my fingers. I'm pretty sure it wasn't worn often, especially by my mom, and I have it on a coat that I rarely wear.

It's 14kt and is super heavy. Unfortunately I can't ask my grandmother about as she died about 25 years ago and my mom doesn't know and has little interest in it (which is how it came to me).

I think it's beautiful and you are super lucky to have something like this to remember your grandmother by. 14K makes it worth something monetarily too and I love the design but for me it would be the fact it was your grandmother's that makes it special.

I love that you were wearing it on your coat. And I agree there are many ways you can wear it without the window getting in the way. I love movie zombie's suggestion about wearing it on scarves to keep them fixed in place.

Wear in health and happiness with happy memories of your grandmother!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
That. Is. SO. Cool.

The fact that it's 14k and belonged to your grandmother makes it amazing as is, and I've always loved smokey quartz. I'd definitely find ways to wear it too!

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
It's a beautiful brooch -- what a gorgeous way to remember your grandmother.

Are there any markings on the back?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Logan Sapphire|1409593033|3742914 said:

If it wasn't worn often, it will retain it's facet edges well, especially a brooch, as you're not hitting it around like you would a ring or bracelet.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
txgreeneyes|1409605063|3742989 said:
It's a beautiful brooch -- what a gorgeous way to remember your grandmother.

Are there any markings on the back?

There's a hallmark that looks like a police officer-shaped badge. It has something that looks like F1 in fancy writing and then 14k below it. No other markings. My grandfather was a lieutenant in the NYC fire department- I guess it's possible the badge hallmark was something special for firefighters.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would just continue to enjoy wearing it. Although the stone is large, the bulk of the value is in the piece itself, not the topaz. I also agree with the other posters that there could be 2 reasons why the quartz is windowed:
1. To lighten the colour
2. To make it easier to set and wear (depth issues).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results