shape
carat
color
clarity

Losing hope with OEC search. Will modern RBC do?

umbrella

Rough_Rock
I've had a little break from posting because I, like several other PSers, experienced the devastation of missing out on possibly the best option OEC for a long time. I am fairly crushed. It was the GOG AVR mentioned above, http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12317/ I had my eye on it for a few days, and was just about to place it on reserve in order to give me time for the money transfer to arrive. However just hours before I got the chance to place it on hold, some other lucky person beat me to it! I was holding out hope that they wouldn't buy it, but alas, they did.

It was about $3100 and there is nothing in the inventory that is close to that price point for that size. I'm going to wait until their next batch of diamonds come in, but I don't know when that will be, and I have no idea if there will be a similar stone to the one I missed out on. I must admit that I didn't love the facet pattern of this AVR, which is why I perhaps hesitated to put the stone on reserve earlier, but in hindsight I think it probably wouldn't have been very obvious to the naked eye, especially in that relatively modest size. I was also hesitant about the K colour, but I've come to realise K is probably a realistic colour for the size and price point I'm after. Perhaps even L/M is more realistic. I am no longer planning on a halo setting (which I was more open to with warmer colours because I like the contrast) and am planning to create a 6 prong solitaire with art deco inspired engraving on the shank. So now I suppose I need to decide if I should go a bit smaller and get a whiter stone, maybe G/H/I. I am quite colour sensitive, but I don't mind it so much. I just don't want too much colour. And personally I think solitaires look better with whiter coloured stones than halos. I have tried .70ct RBC and they are just too small for my medium/large hands :(

Any advice or reassuring words? Anyone know how often GOG receive August Vintage batches?

:wall:

umbrella

Rough_Rock
Niel|1407682728|3729665 said:

Niel, yes I remember seeing that stone now, it is quite lovely, thank you. But after lots and lots and lots of research, I have narrowed it down and decided at this stage to only consider GOG AVRs. Since I'm located overseas, I am trying to minimize risk as much as possible, and I can trust that the AVRs will have excellent performance, whereas I know old OECs can be a bit hit and miss sometimes. I also fell in love with the AVR symmetry and lovely broad, floral-like facets under the table. On top of that GOG have provided excellent customer service so far, and I like to support businesses like that and would feel confident purchasing from them.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK. Then I'd email them tell them you're looking for something similar see when they expect to get another one.

umbrella

Rough_Rock
Thanks Niel :) it's good to be proactive I suppose!! Fingers crossed something comes up soon.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's smart to just stick to an AVR if buying overseas. That said, it looks like prices of AVR's have taken off in the last year or so. If GOG can find a beautiful OEC that's comparable in "light performance" to an AVR, it would be smart to buy it if it gives a good discount.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree you should hold out for the stone you want versus "settling" for something else if you can wait. You don't want to look at your ring everyday with any regrets.

I stumbled across these couple rings by an etsy seller. I don't have any experience with the seller, but maybe you can inquire for details on these, as they seem to be close to what you're looking for size & price wise. The seller does have good reviews, and claims the items have been verified by jewelers & geologists. Maybe getting some additional pictures or video of the stones (and documentation) would be a good idea.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/187623995/vintage-antique-115ct-h-vs-old-european?ref=shop_home_active_4

https://www.etsy.com/listing/198402580/vintage-antique-75ct-old-european-cut?ref=shop_home_active_23

Good luck!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
arkieb1|1406612334|3722347 said:
I saw that carbon spot as well, but I was not sure how noticeable it would be in real life, if you decide to extend the budget how about something like this;

FYI, it's not a carbon spot, it was a dot from a sharpie. Dave Atlas graded the diamond a VS1.

:)

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ericad|1407765759|3730184 said:
FYI, it's not a carbon spot, it was a dot from a sharpie. Dave Atlas graded the diamond a VS1.

:)

In that case, Umbrella, I would be ALL OVER that OEC! It really looks quite lovely and faces up pretty white in the video Erica has posted of it. It's from a reputable seller, reviewed by a reputable appraiser, is the size you are looking for and in the price range you wanted to stay. Not sure it gets any better than that!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results