shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideas for setting my small FCD collection?

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I've been picking up small FCDs off Ebay and such for the last couple years, with thoughts of doing some sort of cluster ring at some point. I think I have enought of them now, but I'm not 100% set on any certain style. Most of the stones are champagne or brown, so I was thinking rose gold? Would bezels darken up some of them? The largest is around 1/4ct, with the smallest ones at about 10 points. I added a couple more since I took this picture.

_20245.jpg

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I found this one a while back, white gold rails with pave. But my stones may be too small for this look?

_t2ec16dhjiie9qtylicobrz25odn_q__60_57.jpg

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE that inspiration ring! I think it would look awesome. I even would love it without the pave rails.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I love the inspiration ring.

Are you set on a ring? All those together could make a killer neckalce.

And yes, a bezel will darken them up a bit.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I had the largest of the collection set in a pendant last year, it's .69ct and looked huge next to all the babies. A DBTY might be fun though!

il_fullxfull_506577932_1.jpg

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
This was just posted on the PS blog, more of a cluster? Might be interesting with the different shapes, but not sure if it's really my style.

single-stone-cobblestone-ring-ew-2014-12.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scattered band? With the size, I'm not sure whether prongs will work so you might be limited to bezels.

ETA
Pave should work, since they are prongs, right?

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Here are a few photos I have saved using multiple small diamonds. On the first one I don't see why it couldn't be done with different shapes rather than all round. also a series of tiny stackers might be fun

dewdrop-diamond-cluster-ring-1024x924.jpg

8_small.jpg

yael-yellow-diamond-ring-jck-2012.jpg

k-25583_mod.jpg

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
And a couple more. Todd Reed mixes a lot of shapes in small stones together, so you might want to check out his work for inspiration.

_244.jpeg

_245.jpeg

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
pinkjewel|1405518056|3714359 said:
And a couple more. Todd Reed mixes a lot of shapes in small stones together, so you might want to check out his work for inspiration.
I love that second one!! That might be the winner. Who's a good vendor for bezels these days? I had originally planned to contact Daniel M., but he's out for now. I don't want to spend a ton on it, but would like decent quality bezels also.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
MustangGal|1405521350|3714390 said:
pinkjewel|1405518056|3714359 said:
I love that second one!! That might be the winner. Who's a good vendor for bezels these days? I had originally planned to contact Daniel M., but he's out for now. I don't want to spend a ton on it, but would like decent quality bezels also.

Glad I could help!!! I have some small FCDs too- so I've been keeping a small inspiration folder. I'd maybe try David Klass for something like this, He did a lovely inspired by Megan Thorne piece which I think has the same kind of feel. You might also contact Caysie at CVB designs-she does gorgeous bezels and I really like her aesthetic sense. I'm working with her right now and she is really great to work with and has a great eye for detail.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MustangGal|1405448356|3713770 said:
I've been picking up small FCDs off Ebay and such for the last couple years, with thoughts of doing some sort of cluster ring at some point. I think I have enought of them now, but I'm not 100% set on any certain style. Most of the stones are champagne or brown, so I was thinking rose gold? Would bezels darken up some of them? The largest is around 1/4ct, with the smallest ones at about 10 points. I added a couple more since I took this picture.

Bezels might darken many of them up. It did in my case. I was collecting FCD's off ebay for 18 years, and then made a huge ring in rose gold with bezeling all of them. Some of the stones did darken up. I did mine in 14K rose gold and I love that color metal with browner diamonds. My jeweler suggested bezels because all those prongs in one ring might get stuck on clothing, and heaven knows what else, and I would be more prone to losing a stone.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I think I have some pics of your ring saved on my other computer TL, it's what got me started on collecting FCDs! Do you wear it often?

I may not use all of the stones, like the dark brown pudgy pear (it's more of a rose cut). I did't think of David Klass, he might be a good option for this. I am going to visit my local jeweler this weekend for a few other things, I plan to get their thoughts and an idea of price.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
I love your collection! I wanted to add this picture to the lovely ideas already presented, it's been in my idea folder for so long and this topic is inspiring.

torbjorntillander.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MustangGal|1405526894|3714473 said:
I think I have some pics of your ring saved on my other computer TL, it's what got me started on collecting FCDs! Do you wear it often?

I may not use all of the stones, like the dark brown pudgy pear (it's more of a rose cut). I did't think of David Klass, he might be a good option for this. I am going to visit my local jeweler this weekend for a few other things, I plan to get their thoughts and an idea of price.

Thanks MustangGal,
I go through moments where I wear it a lot, but its in the bank right now. It's not the most comfortable ring to wear, very big and heavy, but I love how it looks.

Good luck with your project, and keep us posted.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mariedtiger|1405527403|3714480 said:
I love your collection! I wanted to add this picture to the lovely ideas already presented, it's been in my idea folder for so long and this topic is inspiring.

Gorgeous, is it by Annette?

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock

Oh wow, that is awesome! That pic has me thinking about adding a few white diamonds into the mix to add contrast to the colored stones.

TL, I think my stones are smaller then the ones in your band? So I'm hoping it'll be fairly comfortable/wearable. I've tried bold/big rings, and just can't get myself to love them.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brooches are not currently in vouge, but I think one would make a wonderful canvas for your lovely FCD collection.
Brooches can be of a recognizable object or just free form.

screen_shot_2014-07-16_at_9.png

screen_shot_2014-07-16_at_1.png

screen_shot_2014-07-16_at_2.png

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MustangGal|1405528775|3714497 said:

Oh wow, that is awesome! That pic has me thinking about adding a few white diamonds into the mix to add contrast to the colored stones.

TL, I think my stones are smaller then the ones in your band? So I'm hoping it'll be fairly comfortable/wearable. I've tried bold/big rings, and just can't get myself to love them.

I added white stones to my band too. It made for a nice contrast. My stones range from 1 carat all the way down to 10 points (the white diamonds were ten pointers). The larger stones in my band have very thick sides, so that's why it was uncomfortable.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1405527548|3714483 said:

Gorgeous, is it by Annette?

This is made by her sister Tina's studio Atelier Torbjorn Tillander, they are an amazingly talented family!

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1405528837|3714498 said:
Brooches are not currently in vouge, but I think one would make a wonderful canvas for your lovely FCD collection.
Brooches can be of a recognizable object or just free form.

I would love especially this last one, what a piece of blingy art for autumn.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MT,
You surely know how to pick the best designers.

Kenny,
No words needed. :lickout:

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono, hah, thanks! Wish I had a budget to match my tastes and flow of ideas. :naughty: Ah well, discernment is a good skill to learn.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results