shape
carat
color
clarity

URGENT Dress Dilemma

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
Hi Ladies,

I have had the most stressful past 4 weeks EVER. I had to share and I hope someone learns from my mistake. PLEASE take your time dress shopping! Go to multiple shops, try on different dresses, and do not buy a dress just because it's on sale... sleep on it a day and then make the purchase! It will still be there regardless of what the pushy sales people say (well usually).

I said yes to the dress 4 months ago after a dress I thought I loved was on sale at a very good deal. I went into the bridal store with 10 dresses in mind that I wanted to try on, they had 2 on my list, I tried both on and picked one.

It came it 2 months ago, and the material looked awful and I was not impressed. I also realized the shape didn't look the best on me but I had not tried on more dresses to realize what did. I sat on it for a month then decided I was NOT going to be a happy bride and I started my search from scratch again. I hated myself for not having gone to other stores originally but the dress was on sale... and I figured it was JUST a dress so the better discount the better. :oops:

Well anyhow I went back to the store and the bridal store would NOT give me a refund but would do an exchange for a dress of equal or greater value.

So off I started on my new search at that bridal store and then 2 other bridal stores. However at this point I was rushed as my wedding is in less than 5 months and I needed to pick something asap.

After two weeks and about 10 dress appointments (at a total of 3 different stores)... I picked a new dress. It was at a new bridal shop so I lost everything I paid for with the first dress.

With my new dress, I loved the detail and quality of the fabric, but hated the price (who doesn't). It was nearly five times the cost of my first dress. :-o Seeing how I seemed so stuck on the details and quality, I decided to pay for it but have had buyers remorse on the price since Saturday when I paid for it. :oops:

Long and behold, I walked into my first bridal shop today where I got the first awful dress to exchange my dress for a trumpet which I figured I'd have an easier chance selling on ebay. The dress consultant had me put on one final dress, I said what the hell I'm already here might as well.... and I really liked it!

As I had store credit, I exchanged my fugly first dress for the trumpet lace dress.

And now I have two dresses. ;(

Why couldn't I have found this trumpet lace dress IN MY MANY VISITS TO THAT STORE PREVIOUSLY! WHY did I have to find it after I already paid for that cut to order expensive gown at the boutique! I spent this afternoon crying over this ordeal and feeling horrible about having two dresses. The poor fiancé has been supportive and just told me to wear both (one for reception another for ceremony). Oh ladies, I know the dress is suppose to be a joyous occasion but I'd just had an awful one and have hated every part of it. ;(

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no! I'm so sorry :/. I realized things work out like this when I was planning. And even when I tried my hardest, the week before was still a mess.

I promise you, in the end, everything will be perfect. Maybe you can list both dresses online before wearing and try to sell one before hand? If not, guuuuuurl wear two! Go on with you bad self! ;-)

audball

Ideal_Rock
Oh maple! Big hugs. I'm sorry you're having such a stressful time around finding your dress. I sympathize! Be honest with yourself. Take the price of the dresses out of the equation. Do you like the lace trumpet gown better or worse than the boutique gown? That's your answer. Wear what you love and list the other one for sale. Even if you don't recoup what you paid for it, chances are you'll be able to recoup at least part of the cost if you list it for a reasonable price with good pictures, tags attached, unaltered, and unworn.

Hugs.hugs.hugs.

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
Oh thank you ladies so much for posting. I was a wreck last night. I am feeling so much better today. I just keep thinking about what really matters... which isn't choosing 2 darn dresses or that whole drama but marrying my best friend! And then I picture myself at the altar with him and everything else doesn't matter.

I honestly think my breakdown had to do with the fact that the whole process was rushed and not the "sip champagne" and say yes to the dress type moments with family and friends that I've seen on TV. :knockout: I guess real life isn't what it's like on TV all the time.. and that's okay. :shock: I didn't happen like it does on TV... who would have guessed? :lol:

With that said, here's my new (and over the budget dress). I do LOVE it and I'm so excited to wear it.. and I will just try to sale the other trumpet dress and try to make some cash back prior to the wedding.

c1d2cd8e5c3811e2a74422000a1ddb8e_7.jpg

audball

Ideal_Rock
I think a lot of ladies experience similar lack of the "TV experience" when dress shopping. TV can make it look so glamorous when in reality it's more stressful than fun for a lot of brides. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how you got to the dress, but that you found one you're excited to wear and that you love! The new dress is beautiful! Congrats! Try to find peace with the process and just look forward to getting to wear that beautiful gown!

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
maple, i did the same thing...except i couldn't exchange my "sale" dress! I honestly still haven't picked up the "first" dress...the second dress i bought was the one i ORIGINALLY wanted....but i went shopping with my best friend and was in the moment and she told me she loved the first dress so much i didn't go with my gut and bought it right there.

I am thinking about donating the first dress to someone who can't afford a dress. I cried and cried and my FI was also so supportive. I am so happy with my choice though!

Do you think you can try to sell the dress you aren't wearing on one of those sites?

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow maple, I'm sorry, but that expensive gown is absolutely stunning!!! I like your fiances idea to wear both, one for the ceremony and one for the reception. Mine is supportive of that idea, but I can't even find one (well I did but it was too expensive... alas).

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
@ audball - thank you! definitely not like they show on TV. and getting in and out of dresses isn't fun either. lots of them are heavy! I think I had so many appointments back to back since i was under pressure to find the dress that after a while I was just annoyed, wanted to get it over with, and find "the one". and boy am I happy that's all over now and I finally have my dress. it was really stressful and involved alot of tears.

@ LoveLikeCrazy - oh my gosh! we have a similar story!! I do plan on selling the first dress as I love my second dress now that I got over the cost. If I can't sell it then I will probably donate it and use it for a tax refund. Here's to hoping we get lucky and sale our first dress!

@ wakingdreams53: thank you! I am in love with my new dress and the detail is fantastic. What i especially love is how close the bridal shop is with designer. they were able to call her and customized 2 aspects of the dress for me. The train as-is barely brushes the floor but she was able to extend that to a 12" train. Secondly, she's making a matching bolero that's see-through tulle with some of the designs of the fabric which I will wear during the ceremony then take off for the reception.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maple - your dress is stunning! And I love the idea of adding a bolero for the ceremony. And one made by the designer herself - how special is that!? Good luck with the sale of the other dress!

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
maple2012|1402369245|3689886 said:
With that said, here's my new (and over the budget dress). I do LOVE it and I'm so excited to wear it.. and I will just try to sale the other trumpet dress and try to make some cash back prior to the wedding.

i absolutely LOVE the new dress :love: :love: :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results