shape
carat
color
clarity

snobbery works to increase sales?

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does work with the right kind of people.

But, it generally does not work with the actual wealthy people.

So, for the right target segment (those trying to prove they belong) it works. The problem of course is those people it works with will never actually belong to the real group they are trying to appear to belong to.

Have a great day,

Perry

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
UGH snobby sales people. I can't STAND them. Thing is they are snobby off the clock too, at least every experience I have ever had with them.

But in my area it seems to be quite common, and I would probably assume it increases their sales, although I will never spend money with a sales associate who treated me like a pest.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That would be an interesting strategy, but it wouldn't work for me. I'd take my business elsewhere if I experienced bad service.

For the Neiman Marcus make-up counter example provided in the article, instead of buying make-up there to prove I could afford it, I would have purchased the make-up elsewhere and brought the receipt back to the rude salesperson to show I supported a different store and salesperson that provided better service.

As an aside, I am generally not a consumer of luxury market items and intentionally not in the referenced "exclusive club" or in-crowd". I don't even like my brand names to be visible. I just don't get the whole concept. I am an outsider, and my outsider friends and I are in with each other.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does not work for me, and I shall walk out and spend my hard earned cash elsewhere.

DK :))

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So far, it's done the opposite for me, sending me out the door never to return (the few times it's happened.) Too bad I never went back to that Kevin's Jewelers (before I knew they were a chain, forgive me, I was new to the west coast at the time.) I later went to their competitor, an independent jeweler very close by, and bought a superior setting for less.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Perry -- very perceptive & absolutely on the, er, money. :wavey:

--- Laurie

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mary poppins|1402695864|3692657 said:
That would be an interesting strategy, but it wouldn't work for me. I'd take my business elsewhere if I experienced bad service.

For the Neiman Marcus make-up counter example provided in the article, instead of buying make-up there to prove I could afford it, I would have purchased the make-up elsewhere and brought the receipt back to the rude salesperson to show I supported a different store and salesperson that provided better service.

As an aside, I am generally not a consumer of luxury market items and intentionally not in the referenced "exclusive club" or in-crowd". I don't even like my brand names to be visible. I just don't get the whole concept. I am an outsider, and my outsider friends and I are in with each other.

Oops, wanted to remove "luxury market items" and substitute "brands." but not able to edit post. I have luxury items (i.e., things that are not a necessity) but generally don't purchase luxury brand items.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Yuk. If they're rude to me I walk out and don't return.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very common in a high end watch store.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well it must work at least some of the time, or one would think management would correct the staff, when it seems the opposite they want the sales staff to promote a feeling of exclusivity. I don't often go into luxury jewelry shops, but the ones I do, I want the staff to be approachable and, show me pieces. I haven't had this happen to me, because I visit and shop locally owned stores, not chain stores. There they seem to know, if a person wants to buy a piece it is good to let them see the merchandise, maybe talk about the stones, etc. Maybe Pricescope users are a more educated bunch in general.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't know if I am attracted to stores that do this, but I am at least neutral to it. If a salesgirl is snotty to me, I'll still go to Barney's again.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw a funny skit on TV years ago about a snotty sales person. The customer, played by Nancy Walker, went into an exclusive clothes store.
Saleslady: "We don't have anything in your size."
Customer: "You left out the word 'decent'.
Then the customer ran her fingers over the counter, looked at her fingers and saw some dust, said "tsk tsk" and left the store.
I was ROFL.
There's always a tissue to wipe up every snot.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I don't think so.

I've been to the flagship Vuitton store, the main Cartier store, Saks on Fifth Ave, Tiffany flagship, and lots of other high end stores (Bergdorf) and I gravitate to the nice store associates. The snobby ones get a quick snooty glance from me, and I find their nicer counterparts. I KNOW these people basically go home to their cheap hovels and the act doesn't fool me one speck. If they were RICH enough to justify their snobbiness, would they be working in shop sales? Please. :rolleyes:

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
iLander|1402754766|3693110 said:
I don't think so.

I've been to the flagship Vuitton store, the main Cartier store, Saks on Fifth Ave, Tiffany flagship, and lots of other high end stores (Bergdorf) and I gravitate to the nice store associates. The snobby ones get a quick snooty glance from me, and I find their nicer counterparts. I KNOW these people basically go home to their cheap hovels and the act doesn't fool me one speck. If they were RICH enough to justify their snobbiness, would they be working in shop sales? Please. :rolleyes:
Oh, I think you underestimate how much someone can make in high end retail!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissStepcut|1402755028|3693112 said:
I don't think so.

Ha! Agreed!

When you're earning 10% commission selling luxury goods 40+ hours a week you'd be surprised at the amount of money you can make. Then there are part-time salespeople who work in sales for their "pocket money." Having been in retail sales for a large part of my career I can honestly say that I never lived in a cheap hovel, nor did any of my co-workers. I've been in sales full-time, part-time, and even in a managerial capacity. I never used snobbery as a sales tactic, though. I will say that it swings both ways. There were times I offered a welcoming smile and a friendly "Hi, what brings you in today?" only to be met with a dour look and a brush-off of "JUST LOOKING." :lol: You learn to take it with a grain of salt and busy yourself somewhere else or with another customer while keeping your other eye on the person who claims to be just looking but really REALLY needs you as soon as you walk away, thinking you're giving them freedom to browse.

I think if you've never worked in sales/service you might not understand some of the not-so-nice things customers do. And I'm not advocating associates treating customers in a snobbish manner at all, just saying. ;)) For the most part, I always loved my customers and was able to build amicable, business-like relationships with them which resulted in several friendships outside the store.

I have definitely been on the other side as a consumer and I certainly don't like to feel judged when I walk into an upscale store. An experience (out of many great ones) that stands out in my mind was a visit to Neiman Marcus in Oak Brook, IL one occasion in which I was looking for a cocktail dress to wear to an upcoming wedding. I can't remember what I was wearing/carrying as far as clothes/bag/shoes/jewelry exactly, but I recall being fairly casual and it was a weeknight. The ladies working the department were genuinely nice and brought me all sorts of things to try on, and we had a great time. It was the epitome of great customer service and one I'll never forget. I really can't remember ever having been treated badly in any store, but perhaps that is because I've been on the other side of the counter and I don't walk into a place with any sort of "I own you, work for me" attitude?

Just rambling with my take on the matter. Working successfully in sales takes the right personality type. Some have it, some don't.

ETA: Eleanor Roosevelt once said: "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Great words to live by!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think so.

Yep.

I wouldn't assume someone working in high end retail wasn't wealthy. Take a female sales associate--her husband could be a surgeon or a CEO and she works there for a hobby, for the benefits and insurance, for the big discount they get on all the merchandise, or just for a little extra 'fun' money. And I've heard that these people can make PLENTY to support themselves if they're single.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1402800665|3693416 said:
I don't think so.

Yep.

I wouldn't assume someone working in high end retail wasn't wealthy. Take a female sales associate--her husband could be a surgeon or a CEO and she works there for a hobby, for the benefits and insurance, for the big discount they get on all the merchandise, or just for a little extra 'fun' money. And I've heard that these people can make PLENTY to support themselves if they're single.
My MIL originally worked in retail for pocket money but some years made into the 6 figures. So while my FIL paid for the lovely home, she probably could have done so herself, during the boom! She has slowed down though, as she's been helping us out with childcare.

metatrix

Shiny_Rock
I'm the opposite. Friendly helpful salespeople can easily convince me to way overspend. Shopping for me is as much about having a fun experience as it is about the end result. If I'm having fun and I feel comfortable and happy, I buy lots more stuff.

When it comes to make up in particular, there is only one specific salesperson I will buy from because she is so nice and helpful and I trust her advice. I actually call ahead to ask her schedule and only go in to the store during her shift. And I drive out of my way to go there, just because I love the service.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Glad I could provide so many with the one line (an attempt at humor) they needed to focus on. What would you all do without me? :rolleyes:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I am much more susceptible to enablers! Whenever I go clothes shopping with my MIL, she is so fun and encouraging "that looks so good on you", "you should buy that!" "why don't you try that on?" that I invariably buy more than if I was shopping by myself. In the same way if a sales person is enthusiastic (but not in a pushy way, just in how much they love the merchandise) one can get caught up in that excitement.
A few years ago I ran into an associate of a very nice jewelry store in town, in Costco. She had a number of nice bottles of wine in her cart and had picked out an orchid plant, and mentioned that she had other orchids at home. I was thinking to myself a) that makes sense, someone who enjoys jewelry would enjoy other forms of "beauty" and the finer things in life and b) they probably don't do too bad money-wise.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1402847083|3693638 said:
Glad I could provide so many with the one line (an attempt at humor) they needed to focus on. What would you all do without me? :rolleyes:

Oh, I thought it was funny. But I did want to make the point that one shouldn't assume that a salesperson is eking out a very meager paycheck and hitchhiking home to a shack at night. I've worked with so many men and women who drive luxury cars, wear 5+carat diamonds, wear their furs to work in the winter, and live in homes valued at upwards of $1million.

I didn't mean to pick on your wording. I have been known to use the terms "hovel" and "squalor" melodramatically in my own home when the garage is a pigsty and my husband has started yet another project. He loves having projects...I love organization! :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results