shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Necklace length

MurielsPearls

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the wonderful world of pearls and I need some help with deciding on my necklace length. I would really appreciate some help and guidance. I bought a 18 inch metallic pearl strand from PP and I decided I didn't like that length on me. I think in my mind I had the idea of a longer pearl necklace and am wondering if I should be looking towards 22 or 24 inch? I returned the necklace to PP with the idea of getting it extended to 20 inches but looking at photos online, I don't think that will be long enough. I think an 18 inch necklace with baroque pearls would be good from me but the rounds feel like they need to be a longer strand on me. Anyways I'm rambling, any comments welcome!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to the forum :wavey: .

I like and have necklaces of varying lengths depending on type and size of pearls. In general, I prefer shorter length for larger pearls and vice versa. What kind of pearls are you getting from PP?

Here's pic of a strand of 9-10mm FWPs that is 22" long. I either wear that strand at that length or use 2" extender for additional length.

20140511_143623-1.jpg

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
Hi MurielsPearls! I think you've come to the right place because we love talking about pearls.

I have a few questions, though. What type of shirts/blouses do you normally wear? Are you a casual t-shirt type or do you dress up a lot and/or work? Are a lot of your shirts open neck/button down, t-shirts, tunics? I find my shorter strands look best with open neck/v-neck tops and the longer strands (20"+) with higher collared/boatneck shirts, t-shirts, ... Hope I can help!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Fast forward -- you will end up wanting necklaces of many lengths!

Mine range from 15" to 144" and everything in-between. There is no "wrong" length.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about asking a vendor to make you a variable length necklace, using a basket clasp?

My workhorse strand of 8-9mm Gem Fresh line CFWPs from The Pearl Outlet was made using such a clasp, and I can wear it as an necklace between 18in to 20in.

Here is the pic of the basket clasp:

tpogemfresh8_9mmbasketclaspsmall.jpg

Larger basket clasps exit, and PP should be able to get hold of them from their supplier of high end clasps called KGH.

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO, the neckline of the garmet, and the size of the neck also play a part in deciding on necklace length.

My neck is short and chunky, and choker style necklace or those that sit on the collar bone look really bad on me.

Normally I would wear 18in with a collar shirt, however, I can wear a slightly longer necklace if I am wearing a V-neck top without a collar, depending how low is the V, of course.

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results