lioness

Brilliant_Rock
LAJennifer|1398828467|3663326 said:
Can you feed feral cats with it?

For the win!!!!!

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1398826473|3663314 said:
Thanks ladies. I love the blue in it, since I know I'll never afford a natural untreated diamond that's blue. And blue is such a peaceful color..

lioness: Chinese actually believe in drinking alcohol (not a lot) while nursing. It helps with the milk flow. We make a rice wine dessert for pregnant moms who are about to pop, and for them to drink after giving birth. It's really yummy.

Sounds delish! Now I'm curious - where can you buy it?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lioness|1398829217|3663334 said:
Sounds delish! Now I'm curious - where can you buy it?

Not sure where you'd buy it, but I live in a very Chinese neighborhood, so many restaurants sell it here. Some of my family members make it. There's a recipe here: http://kirbiecravings.com/2010/07/homemade-fermented-rice.html My mom used to make it for me in the colder winter months, and let me drink it for breakfast before my 7AM class. She never bothered fermenting rice... she'd just dump in wine herself. Or maybe shots of something, who knows. Once, it was too strong, and I showed up pink-faced to class :oops:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dh: "looks like a flank steak."

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Gross gross gross. Not my cup of...um...tea.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ericad|1398830879|3663348 said:
This thread is making my legs feel all jiggly. Trying not to hyperventilate.

I'm with you Erica! Of course, I also have a tendency to pass out when I see lots of blood, so I'm definitely not the type to want to see anything of this sort!! :lol:

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I saw mine (not particularly by choice) as the dr was sweeping around up in there to get the rest of it out. They showed it to me in a bowl; it looked like a huge menstrual flow clot, or at least that's how I remember it.

Also a vegetarian and even though it came from my body, not interested in the least in eating it, smelling it, burying it, etc. At the most, I could deal with burying it, but the thought of eating it really makes me a little sick, just as eating any meat does.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to be the odd one out here - I purchased a kit which is like a polystyrene box with sterilised things inside and handed it to my OBGYN on the day I had my son, (it was really weird I was literally carrying this box around with me saying don't forget the box....) who followed a set of instructions in the box & stored it successfully or more specifically collected the cord blood and then it got whisked off to the blood cord bank. It is currently frozen and I believe can be used if the child gets Leukemia and some other illnesses where they can use stem cells, sometimes it can be used on siblings as well....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's just another animal internal organ so if one is open to eating chicken or pork liver or lamb kidney, is it any more gross to read of others ingesting a placenta?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Circe, he never exhibited the placenta photogram. But here is one of the cow's liver. The organic chemicals in the liver and in its decay react with the cibachrome paper when it is laid on the paper causing chemically induced electron capture in the dye linked silver halide crystals which makes an 'image' of the liver when the paper is developed.

livvr.png

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chrono|1398863203|3663494 said:
It's just another animal internal organ so if one is open to eating chicken or pork liver or lamb kidney, is it any more gross to read of others ingesting a placenta?

Yes. Just...Yes. The whole thing is horrifying, but I'm the squeamish type. I think what's freaking me out is the fact that it's a human eating a human part. It would be less gross to hear of people eating cow placenta, or sheep placenta (though even that...shudder).

But, since no one is hurt in the process, I don't care if other people do it. But I will judge them as being nasty, lol.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I saw both of my placenta, and DH took pictures of the second one. My OBGYN was showing us where it was calcifying, and saying that it was a good decision to induce. So that's all we did with it. Take pictures and talk about it.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
ericad|1398867740|3663527 said:

Yes. Just...Yes. The whole thing is horrifying, but I'm the squeamish type. I think what's freaking me out is the fact that it's a human eating a human part. It would be less gross to hear of people eating cow placenta, or sheep placenta (though even that...shudder).

But, since no one is hurt in the process, I don't care if other people do it. But I will judge them as being nasty, lol.

I guess whether or not anyone was actually harmed/hurt by eating a placenta would be up for debate. While there's no evidence (per se) that eating it causes any harm, there's also little to suggest that it does any good. If you search on the internet, you can find stories from women who have had negative side effects associated with consuming their placenta. The bottom line is that science does not offer sufficient evidence to either support or reject it as a health practice and for me, it wasn't worth the risks (when caring for and nursing a newborn).

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, just can't take any more. EricD, I know its early, but let's go get cocktails. I am officially through with this thread. :-o :knockout:

Over and out!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1398873315|3663576 said:
Okay, just can't take any more. EricD, I know its early, but let's go get cocktails. I am officially through with this thread. :-o :knockout:

Over and out!

Wait, hold on, not until you've tried on my pendant.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My apologies to those who are squeamish (you probably should avoid this thread from now onwards to save your sanity :)) ), but I was wondering about those who've mentioned that consuming the placenta may be harmful because it could be contaminated due to its role as a filter whilst in the womb. How is that any different from consuming animal liver, which is acts as a filter for the blood coming from the digestive tract or consuming animal kidney is also acts as filter? I do not consider this cannibalism because no one was killed to remove the placenta. Not that I would eat it, but there are many mammals that consume the afterbirth for the additional nutrition.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think the difference is youre eating human. I could see how that could make people uncomfortable

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Niel|1398811748|3663090 said:
Dreamer_D|1398811364|3663083 said:
I did not do anything with my afterbirth, but I have a funny afterbirth story! :lol:

I was very curious to see what the placenta looked like, so after my first delivery I asked the nurse if I could see the placenta. She looked at me very funny, but went off to get it.

I was hoping she would bring it over in a bowl and perhaps point out the anatomy of the organ. I had heard others talk about learning about the organ from their midwives, and I was curious to see it and learn about it too.

Well, the nurse came back and said, "Here you go!" and help up a clear plastic bag with the placenta in it, knotted closed at the top. It just looked like a plastic bag of bloody slop, of course! I was speechless for a moment then mumbled, "Thanks." and she took it away. Clearly, some miscommunication there!

Oh my gosh my face is red for you that would have made me sooooo uncomfortable! :oops: :oops:

Well, it was less uncomfortable and embarassing than all the other things that had just taken place as part of the birth :lol:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1398874298|3663589 said:
My apologies to those who are squeamish (you probably should avoid this thread from now onwards to save your sanity :)) ), but I was wondering about those who've mentioned that consuming the placenta may be harmful because it could be contaminated due to its role as a filter whilst in the womb. How is that any different from consuming animal liver, which is acts as a filter for the blood coming from the digestive tract or consuming animal kidney is also acts as filter? I do not consider this cannibalism because no one was killed to remove the placenta. Not that I would eat it, but there are many mammals that consume the afterbirth for the additional nutrition.

Do humans eat a wider array of toxins than the animals used to produce liver? I suppose some people also avoid liver for the same reason.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1398874463|3663592 said:
Niel|1398811748|3663090 said:
Dreamer_D|1398811364|3663083 said:
I did not do anything with my afterbirth, but I have a funny afterbirth story! :lol:

I was very curious to see what the placenta looked like, so after my first delivery I asked the nurse if I could see the placenta. She looked at me very funny, but went off to get it.

I was hoping she would bring it over in a bowl and perhaps point out the anatomy of the organ. I had heard others talk about learning about the organ from their midwives, and I was curious to see it and learn about it too.

Well, the nurse came back and said, "Here you go!" and help up a clear plastic bag with the placenta in it, knotted closed at the top. It just looked like a plastic bag of bloody slop, of course! I was speechless for a moment then mumbled, "Thanks." and she took it away. Clearly, some miscommunication there!

Oh my gosh my face is red for you that would have made me sooooo uncomfortable! :oops: :oops:

Well, it was less uncomfortable and embarassing than all the other things that had just taken place as part of the birth :lol:

I suppose. Maybe social awkwardness makes me more uncomfortable than bodily functions :lol:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1398874366|3663590 said:

I think the difference is youre eating human. I could see how that could make people uncomfortable

But no humans were harmed, injured or killed in the process. It is no longer required for its function, your body considers it a waste product, and thus is ejected by the body.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1398874548|3663594 said:
Do humans eat a wider array of toxins than the animals used to produce liver? I suppose some people also avoid liver for the same reason.

Dreamer,
I don't know. Perhaps it depends on where the animal lived (or was farmed) and where the human lives.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1398876178|3663620 said:
Niel|1398874366|3663590 said:

But no humans were harmed, injured or killed in the process. It is no longer required for its function, your body considers it a waste product, and thus is ejected by the body.

I read this an a reason people shouldn't be against it. An ethical reason its OK. But people aren't saying they are against it, they are saying eating human being is gross , regardless of how its obtained. I get that. Like a PP said, many liken it to cannibalism, and that doesn't sit well with everybody

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
*********GROSS WARNING**********

You have been warned

Niel,
Your explanation is clearer now. Yes, ethically, it is all right to consume it. However, it is understandable that many people have an emotional or mental block about consuming it. Perhaps my definition of cannibalism is different; I see it as no different from someone drinking their own urine, children eating boogers or biting, then ingesting their nails. All these are also waste products produced by the human body. Yuck factor? That I agree with 100%.

ETA
Horrible spelling error. Who on earth would want to inject fingernails into their bodies? :rolleyes: :lol:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1398874298|3663589 said:

It's really not all that different from eating something like an animal liver, but most people I know, don't consume the internal organs of animals (liver, etc.). I eat meat, but standard cuts of meat (steak, chicken breast,etc), not organs. Also, I don't define cannibalism by whether or not something was killed. I define cannibalism as simply eating that which comes from the same species (for example, humans consuming the flesh/meat/organs of other humans). I have no interest in consuming any part of my body - just because my body created it, doesn't mean that it's fit for consumption. As far as contamination is concerned, I'm sure that I eat plenty of meat products that are essentially contaminated in some ways too. However, as I said before, I do not believe that there is sufficient evidence to support any health claims of eating a placenta.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results