shape
carat
color
clarity

Eternity band help

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I have had a few life milestones recently and am looking for an eternity band to celebrate (new job, new baby). I've been looking for a while but am running into some dilemmas. Wanted the thoughts of some experts.

Carat weight: this may be my biggest dilemma. I had been thinking 3 cttw (or rather 15 pointers). I tried some on and that size looked a bit too much with my wedding band (platinum plain) and it didn't sit flush; I had put it on top of my ering and my wedding band below my ering). I guess I could wear it without my wedding band but for some reason that seems odd to stop wearing my band. It did look nice with just my ering but I wonder if I'll be self conscious about it being too much. I could also wear on the right hand.

I tried on 1.6 cttw and it worked perfectly with my ering and band but doesn't really excite me on its own. Wouldn't be worth it.

I guess my dilemma comes down to being comfortable with the higher cttw. I do have pieces that I do not end up wearing except for certain occasions because I feel I went too big with the bling. I have figured that I'd "grow into" them but my lifestyle with young kids is taking me in the other direction.

Style: I like u prong because less metal shows but am wondering if it will scratch my e ring (or vice versa). I have a 2 ct round withbthe standard blue nike 4 prong setting and the prongs stick out a bit. I'm thinking of resetting to a Tiffany replica and that may resolve this somewhat because I think it elevates the stone. Any expertise?

Spacing bar: I wanted to get a spacing bar to allow for weight fluctuations / another pregnancy. Anyone with experiences good or bad with that?

Color: I was going to get H/I because my e ring is an H.

I've searched a ton of threads and didn't find these answers. Sorry in advance if they're duplicates!

Thanks!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Although my differs from your goal, I can speak to the spacing bar. I would definitely get it, as your weight will go through changes as you have children & naturally age. My ring size fluctuates based on my weight almost 1 complete size. I think of the spacing as built insurance you will be able to wear that ring your entire life!

I have a basket setting, which I am happy with, & I do wear my eternity alone, ie without another ring adjacent or stacked. If I did wear it stacked, I would have to either wear a spacer, or wear a channel set band. I also have a WF Harmony band, & that particular band I do not need a spacer, as the stones do not 'hang over' the metal of the band--thus, no adjacent stone on stone. You'll just have to see how each band sits in proximity to the others & make your decision re stacked or spacer etc.

As for carat weight, I personally don't think you can over bling it, even as a young mom! 3 TCW would look awesome!! You have many years ahead of you! As for how it looks with your ering, again a personal choice! My Harmony band I wear with my 3 stone & it does not sit flush-- which is fine by me, I like it that way personally. It has .02 sized melee.

Good luck with your decision & congratulations on hitting your milestones!
sarahb

_17136.jpg

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Sarahb! Your eternity looks amazing!! I appreciate your perspective on the spacing bar. Does your eternity spin so that the spacing bar is showing? That's my only concern.

I'm leaning towards getting something in between 1.6cttw and 3 cttw...maybe 2.25 or 2.5.

I'm still unsure about the setting. I hadn't seen many basket settings in my search yet. I'll have to look more. My biggest worry is one chipping the other, but I wonder if that is less about the setting and more about the carat weight and whether the stones hang over the edge.

Did you match the color of the stones to your ering?

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I find my self touching the ring with my thumb to find the spacing bar--& since it is almost an eternity, I really don't have the spinning problem. If it were a 3/4 or even a half, the issue would be more problematic IMHO. You can't go wrong with a small spacing bar & you will be so thankful 10-15-20 years down the road you have it!!

For the setting, the basket setting vs the u setting, it's all a personal opinion. The setting type vs TCW is relative I'd have to think. My hunch is the basket would provide more protection.

Yes, we did match the stones to the ering, however: my ering is an E, & the eternity is comprised of E-F's. It took WF a while to find the complete set of stones. My ring was designed to be a stand alone, in your case, you want to wear it either stand alone or with your ering. If you plan to wear it with your ering, I'd think your TCW can only go so high before it would detract from your ering. Lots of decisions! A fun project no doubt!!

Look forward to seeing the outcome, best of luck!
sarahb :wavey:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 3ct shared prong eternity. It's a standalone ring for me because it's too blingy with and does overpower the solitaire. Plus I have to wear a spacer so that the solitaire's setting doesn't get eaten by eternity stones. I would also agree with your point that 3ct eternity does not look proportionate with a plain metal band. There is just too much of a height difference.

I dislike spacing bars because my rings spin a lot. My eternity is sized 1/2 size larger to account for weight fluctuations. If I ever gain more than that, I'd just upgrade to a larger size with more ctw :naughty:.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results