shape
carat
color
clarity

What CS for this setting?

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
What CS would you recommend for this setting? I had tried a blue sapphire in it and while I loved the color, something just looked a little off to me. Relatively inexpensive would be great too, as I had hoped to sell the setting but have had no luck. The biggest it could take would be around 5.6mm. Thanks!

_16666.jpg

_16667.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What metal colour is the basket? It looks non-white but I'm not sure whether it is reflecting something else. Knowing the colour will help us recommend the right stone since coloured stones are affected by the metal colour of the setting. 5.6 mm round puts it in the 0.7 to 0.9 ct range for a CS.
1. Occasional wear ring?
2. What is your budget range for "inexpensive"?

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Sorry- I know the pics aren't great. It's 18kt white gold, I believe. It probably needs to be replated...

Yeah, it would be occasional wear so I would think around $200-$300 would be palatable to the bank account! Is that too low??

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any chance of squeezing a square cushion in there? Just trying to increase your options if at all possible.

He has a lot of rounds and stones under 6 mm, in your price range.
http://www.customgemstones.com

Not sure how nice peachy looks in WG since they generally look best in YG.
http://www.gemrite.com/collections/gems/products/grossular-garnet-round-98-cts
http://www.gemrite.com/collections/gems/products/pink-sapphire-1-06-cts

Are you brave enough to have a demantoid set in a ring?
http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=10020

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
It might be possible, per my jeweler.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will you wear it with the matching band?

If the sapphire didn't look right, what about a lighter blue (zircon, topaz)?

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
No matching band, so no worries there.

I'm open to any and all colors! Do you think aquamarine would look too light for my price point? It's both my husband's and my birthstone, so there's always that appeal.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem is the colour at the size-point, rather than price-point. The smaller the gem, the more likely the colour will not be as good because there is not much material for the light to pass through. It is easier to find well coloured gems in the 1 ct to 2 ct range, rather than 0.7 ct range. Another concern is the availability of smaller gems - most lapidaries take almost an equal amount of time to facet a 1.5 carat gem as a 0.5 ct gem so the profit margin is better on a larger gem.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1396876872|3648911 said:
The problem is the colour at the size-point, rather than price-point. The smaller the gem, the more likely the colour will not be as good because there is not much material for the light to pass through. It is easier to find well coloured gems in the 1 ct to 2 ct range, rather than 0.7 ct range. Another concern is the availability of smaller gems - most lapidaries take almost an equal amount of time to facet a 1.5 carat gem as a 0.5 ct gem so the profit margin is better on a larger gem.

Thanks for this explanation, Chrono- I didn't know that, but good to know! Fortunately, I'm in no hurry as will probably keep trying to sell the setting concurrently during any stone search.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm wondering if a jeweler could enlarge the head/basket and make it suitable for a larger stone? In this case, you wouldn't have the very real concerns that Chrono mentioned.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think an aquamarine would look very pretty.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don't want grey in your gems, and some people like grey, so I'm not dissing grey, ;)) :)) then you may need to replace the prongs or find something extremely saturated. The latter can be expensive and hard to find for the reasons that Chrono described. This goes for cool colored gems.

The same goes with brown if its a warm colored gem.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1397048870|3650417 said:
If you don't want grey in your gems, and some people like grey, so I'm not dissing grey, ;)) :)) then you may need to replace the prongs or find something extremely saturated. The latter can be expensive and hard to find for the reasons that Chrono described. This goes for cool colored gems.

The same goes with brown if its a warm colored gem.

Are you saying that in this case, white gold might make the stone look greyer?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let's use a yellowish orange spessartite as an example. In a white metal, it will bring out the brown. In a yellow metal, it brings out the orange better.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm afraid at 4.9mm that would be too small.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1397101114|3650951 said:
I'm afraid at 4.9mm that would be too small.
Ah. Wasn't sure as she didn't put a lower cap

SMC

Ideal_Rock
What about a Montana sapphire? They come in quite a range of colors (but more blue-green than pure blue). I just bought one that is blue/green/yellow, very mercurial. Mine is just under a carat, and barely 6mm. I've read that Montana sapphires are usually on the smaller side (under 1ct).

I purchased mine pre-loved, but it's from Dan Stair.
img_8061.jpg

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I'd be open to any and all colors, including Montana sapphires or even back to my original interest of blue sapphires. I'm not sure why the 2 blue sapphires I had didn't do it for me in that setting- maybe they were too big (is there such a thing??) and looked out of balance in that setting.

SMC- beautiful stone! What will you do with it?

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Logan Sapphire|1397239366|3651870 said:
I'd be open to any and all colors, including Montana sapphires or even back to my original interest of blue sapphires. I'm not sure why the 2 blue sapphires I had didn't do it for me in that setting- maybe they were too big (is there such a thing??) and looked out of balance in that setting.

This is what I did with it! I got the setting from jewelryhoo on eBay. I had DanielM set and size the ring (picture is from him), and am waiting to get it back.

il_133.jpg

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
WOW! I love that! Congrats and you be must on edge waiting to receive it!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SMC|1397239791|3651872 said:
Logan Sapphire|1397239366|3651870 said:

This is what I did with it! I got the setting from jewelryhoo on eBay. I had DanielM set and size the ring (picture is from him), and am waiting to get it back.

I've been looking at that setting forever. Let me know what you think of the quality. Particularly the millgraining.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SMC: that is one of the most elegantly beautiful rings I've seen in a long time. Officially jealous.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1397252313|3652018 said:
I've been looking at that setting forever. Let me know what you think of the quality. Particularly the millgraining.
I checked out the setting briefly before sending it to Daniel. I don't think the milgrain is bespoke quality - you get what you pay for. It's a good look for the money. I'll see if I can get some closeup pictures when I get it back!

And thanks Minous!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results