shape
carat
color
clarity

Thanks, Anti-Vaxxers. You Just Brought Back Measles in NYC.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Thanks, Anti-Vaxxers. You Just Brought Back Measles in N

SB621|1395350754|3638183 said:
I sort of like the lynch mod mentality going on. At least it is not a ghost down on PS.
For what it's worth in NC NO ONE I knew vax their kids. I remember being pregnant with our second child and at the park one day all he neighborhood ladies were talking about how brave Jenny McCarthy was. I wanted to beat my head against a brick wall. Normally I try not to judge others, by for the love of green grass and blue skies you are betting your children's health and possible their lives on a person who is only known for being a playboy playmate!!!! I asked them what articles they had read up on which made them feel comfortable denying vaxs. The answer was they saw JM on Letterman. :-o :(sad :shock: :errrr:

I get some people don't want to vax for religious or health reasons, but the parents who do it because it is considered the latest granola crunchy fad is what really irritate me.

Exactly... Especially when this fad puts peoples lives at risk.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lynch mob?

I don't think we'd have a pleasant, civil respectable discussion about the pros and cons of being a deadbeat dad, child molestation, cutting, texting while driving, the joys of running red lights, anorexia, cheating on your spouse, murder or cannibalism either.

Some topics have only one side.

If we met discussions of the above topics with respect for diversity it would be sending a heinous message.
Vaccination is another topic that is not controversial.

Sometimes I think what this country needs is for a zillion kids to die, to get its head out of its bloody @ss about vaccinations.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

...the utterly illogical insistence that every opinion should have equal weight...

...To disagree is to insult. To correct another is to be a hater. And to refuse to acknowledge alternative views, no matter how fantastic or inane, is to be closed-minded....

...Tackle a complex policy issue with a layman today, and you will get snippy and sophistic demands to show ever increasing amounts of “proof” or “evidence” for your case, even though the ordinary interlocutor in such debates isn’t really equipped to decide what constitutes “evidence” or to know it when it’s presented....

People who are anti-vax should be confronted and told they are wrong and why, unequivocally and often. The results of soft-pedaling saying "you're WRONG" has resulted in exactly what we see now. This is not judgement, there are serious consequences for those not vaccinating and for others, for NOT confronting them. And softening the blow of "YOU'RE WRONG" all the time is not going to make it better. EVERYONE needs to come to grips with being wrong, and badly so, at some point in their lives.

Bottom line, if you ignore the experts, ignore history, and all other evidence the vaccinations have saved millions of lives, then you are not only wrong, you are stupid. If you DO understand the issues, especially the concept of herd immunity, and you are content to coast on the fact that others took a share of a (very small) risk that you are unwilling to, then your stance is morally stunted and selfish.

If you understand the issues, but get your knickers in a twist because others seem harsh in their assessment of your stance, and dig in harder simply because you are unable to admit you're wrong, then you're really stupid, and are being dragged around by your ego and not your brain, And this is one of those issues where that response might kill people.

No, not a lynch mob. There IS no "other view".

http://www.salon.com/2014/03/20/measles_outbreak_vaccine_trutherism_now_officially_a_public_health_crisis/

justginger

Ideal_Rock

I missed ilander's post re: Gardasil. As pointed out, Pap smears and Gardasil are tools to prevent cervical cancer. Cytology is now one of my elective areas of study, so it has quickly become near and dear to my heart -- I'm currently spending about 15 hours/week practicing screening Pap smears. The only reason the western world enjoys a low mortality rate from Cx Ca is directly due to our great screening programs. Elsewhere in the world, new Cx Ca is diagnosed at a rate of half a million cases each year, with 200,000+ deaths. It's not something to be taken lightly, nor do doctors do so. Just because they don't pass along your results promptly, they are still keeping an eagle eye on them themselves!

HPV is the greatest direct cause of Cx Ca, as evidenced in countless studies. Depending on what strain you contract (80% of woman actually do get HPV at some point in their sexual lifetimes), it will either be symptomatic and not cause Ca, or be non-symptomatic and potentially be a huge risk factor for Ca Cx. Many strains are cleared by the body, some are not - notably strains 16 and 18, which together account for 70%+ of all Ca Cx cases (both squamous and adenocarcinomas). In countries where screening is not possible, these women never even know there's something wrong, outside of abnormal bleeding. It's terribly sad, as I think the women of the western world really take things like access to Paps and preventative vaccines very much for granted, going as far as to AVOID using these life-saving blessings because they're a bit uncomfortable. :nono:

TL;DR - get Gardasil and regular Paps.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock

Sky56|1395346021|3638135 said:
My Mom died from ovarian cancer...and I think the chance of me dying in a car wreck is higher...but what I am curious about...what about people with egg allergies? Eggs are my one and ony allergy and it is bad. Not life threatening but I get very sick from them, I even had to have a few minor surgeries because of my reaction to them, before I knew to stay away from anything containing them.

I can't get the flu vaccine because of eggs, but correct me if I am wrong. I have to catch it naturally. When I do, I shut down my life and take to bed, and I recover well.

They came out with a new vaccine for this flu season that does not contain eggs. Check your local pharmacies to see if they still have Flucelvax or Flublok available.

I was thinking about this more the other day, and I thought of this analogy. Being up to date on your vaccinations is like paying taxes. No one likes doing it, but you have to partake in it if you want to reap the benefits that affect the general public (in the example of taxes: public education, police and fire fighter services, public libraries, public transportation, etc...) If you're going to benefit from the group immunity provided when other people are fully immunized, you should be doing your part to help the community in turn (unless of course you have a valid medical reason not to).

erinl

Brilliant_Rock

My biggest problem with this thread is that there is more than one choice than being pro or anti vaccines. You can believe in vaccines and their efficacy overall while simultaneously questioning the safety and necessity of the never ending litany of vaccinations added to the schedule.
Questioning the motives behind why certain vaccines are added to the schedule does not make you "stupid" or careless or malicious. Questioning whether you are getting the full truth from drug companies regarding the safety of different vaccinations does not make you illogical or a "loon."
Questioning why my newborn needs a vaccination for Hep B at birth when neither myself or my husband carry the disease, the child would not be able to engage in any of the behaviors that transmit the disease anytime on the near future, and the vaccine's effectiveness will be in question by the time they may engage in that behavior does not make me dangerous. I don't bow down to the doctor is always right and should never be questioned when they are vaccinating my child for an illness they do not have and won't get while the vaccine is effective.

Questioning how putting 4 single doses and one 4 part combo dose in my newborn on a single two month old wellness apt may be wildly extreme and arouses my suspicions that this practice speaks less to doing everything with my child's best interest in mind and more for the convenience of the physician and tech staff.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

kenny|1395352615|3638207 said:
Lynch mob?

I don't think we'd have a pleasant, civil respectable discussion about the pros and cons of being a deadbeat dad, child molestation, cutting, texting while driving, the joys of running red lights, anorexia, cheating on your spouse, murder or cannibalism either.

If we met discussions of the above topics with respect for diversity it would be sending a heinous message.

Sometimes I think what this country needs is for a zillion kids to die, to get its head out of its bloody @ss about vaccinations.

No, there is not only one side. I disagree. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but in their particular thread, there is only one opinion, and that's not what I would consider a discussion. A real discussion would involve participation from both sides. Again, I am pro-vaccine, but there's two sides to this issue and only one will be represented here. I agree with erini in that it should be okay to question some things without fear of being beaten down on anonymous, online forum. I, too, questioned why it was necessary for my tiny, 5 pound newborn to get a Hep B shot, or why certain combos of vaccines are suggested at any given time, etc. We live in a world where flawed systems are all around us, so we sometimes have to do our own research and be our own advocates. I would hope that most folks do their own research and come to the same conclusions that many of us have - that the benefits of vaccines far outweigh any risks that they might present. It would be nice if that was achieved by means of a healthy dialogue put forth by both sides as opposed to what's gone on here.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

erinl|1395360629|3638310 said:
My biggest problem with this thread is that there is more than one choice than being pro or anti vaccines. You can believe in vaccines and their efficacy overall while simultaneously questioning the safety and necessity of the never ending litany of vaccinations added to the schedule.
Questioning the motives behind why certain vaccines are added to the schedule does not make you "stupid" or careless or malicious. Questioning whether you are getting the full truth from drug companies regarding the safety of different vaccinations does not make you illogical or a "loon."
Questioning why my newborn needs a vaccination for Hep B at birth when neither myself or my husband carry the disease, the child would not be able to engage in any of the behaviors that transmit the disease anytime on the near future, and the vaccine's effectiveness will be in question by the time they may engage in that behavior does not make me dangerous. I don't bow down to the doctor is always right and should never be questioned when they are vaccinating my child for an illness they do not have and won't get while the vaccine is effective.

Questioning how putting 4 single doses and one 4 part combo dose in my newborn on a single two month old wellness apt may be wildly extreme and arouses my suspicions that this practice speaks less to doing everything with my child's best interest in mind and more for the convenience of the physician and tech staff.

Regarding Hep B: http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/b/bfaq.htm

I work in a school, kids, especially little ones get boos boos and whatnot and they sometimes like to be biters. Believe me, Hep can be a problem. You don't know the other kids in your child's class, you don't know their medical histories and you never will. If all teachers are advised to be vaccinated don't you think your kids should be too? We have to do bloodborne pathogen training every year, there's a reason for this. Don't think that your kid is safe if they are ever out of your care. The day your kid gets a nasty bite in day care or even school then you'll be worrying.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

Asscherhalo_lover|1395363211|3638336 said:

I work in a school, kids, especially little ones get boos boos and whatnot and they sometimes like to be biters. Believe me, Hep can be a problem. You don't know the other kids in your child's class, you don't know their medical histories and you never will. If all teachers are advised to be vaccinated don't you think your kids should be too? We have to do bloodborne pathogen training every year, there's a reason for this. Don't think that your kid is safe if they are ever out of your care. The day your kid gets a nasty bite in day care or even school then you'll be worrying.

Yeah, I get that, but my kids didn't start preschool until age 4. I understand that you want them to be protected, but in some cases, giving the Hep B shot to a newborn seems to be jumping the gun just a bit...

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

momhappy|1395364111|3638349 said:

Yeah, I get that, but my kids didn't start preschool until age 4. I understand that you want them to be protected, but in some cases, giving the Hep B shot to a newborn seems to be jumping the gun just a bit...

That's your risk then. Better stay away from play groups and public parks too.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

Asscherhalo_lover|1395364289|3638351 said:

I'm not saying that it was my risk - I'm saying that I questioned why it was necessary for my newborn to have the vaccine. My children have received all of their vaccines according to the vaccine schedule. Obviously, it takes a fair amount of time from when a child is born to when they are running & playing with other children in a park, at a daycare, during a play date, etc. I understand how/why the vaccine is important, but surely you can understand why the timing might come into question for some parents?

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

momhappy|1395364718|3638359 said:
Asscherhalo_lover|1395364289|3638351 said:

I'm not saying that it was my risk - I'm saying that I questioned why it was necessary for my newborn to have the vaccine. My children have received all of their vaccines according to the vaccine schedule. Obviously, it takes a fair amount of time from when a child is born to when they are running & playing with other children in a park, at a daycare, during a play date, etc. I understand how/why the vaccine is important, but surely you can understand why the timing might come into question for some parents?

It's not necessarily your baby who might be running around, it's the random two year old who visits your house with a cousin and for whatever reason decides to bite your kid. It's everyone else. If my kids could come into this world vaccinated then that's what I would choose. Like I said before, that's your risk to take. "Your" as in the parent who decides not to vaccinate, not necessarily you.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Asscherhalo_lover is absolutely right.

Okay... the fact that you just made a judgement as to why you think this particular vaccine isn't needed because "the child would not be able to engage in any of the behaviors that transmit the disease anytime on the near future" shows that you aren't aware of the ways HepB can be transmitted after all, and you were willing to put a child at risk because you thought you knew better. Don't you think that years of research and studies from medical professionals may trump the general public's ideas or feelings? Doctors aren't immune to making mistakes, but there is a reason they're doctors and you are not -- you do not know better.

Why on earth would we need medical professionals if everyone just thinks they are the experts and know what's best for themselves and their family?? :confused:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I remember my daughters receiving 2 vaccinations on a single visit but not 5... :-o :nono: They are turning newborns into drug addicts... :wacko:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

What I see is a lot of bullying going on here and it's unfortunate. People should have the ability to post their legitimate thoughts/questions/opinions, but that just not the case. Sharing a thought/question/opinion does not imply that one thinks that they are an expert (but apparently everyone else here is…. ;)). I can respect the opinions of others (even when different from my own), but perhaps this thread isn't the place for me. Have a good night =)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

[quote="Asscherhalo_lover|

That's your risk then. Better stay away from play groups and public parks too.[/quote]

I doubt any of my kid friends were vaccinated 50 yrs ago.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1395352615|3638207 said:
Lynch mob?

But it's NOT that one-sided or that simple. Plenty of people think that abortion is nothing short of murder and there should only be one side, with no civil respectable discussion.

But that is not how it works.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire|1395367066|3638396 said:
[quote="Asscherhalo_lover|

I doubt any of my kid friends were vaccinated 50 yrs ago.[/quote]

It was only beginning to be identified in the 60's and the vaccine only became available in 1982 and recommended as of 1991 so not likely.

Here's a very informative article on the known types of Hep: http://www.pnas.org/content/91/7/2401.full.pdf

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

momhappy|1395366058|3638385 said:
What I see is a lot of bullying going on here and it's unfortunate. People should have the ability to post their legitimate thoughts/questions/opinions, but that just not the case. Sharing a thought/question/opinion does not imply that one thinks that they are an expert (but apparently everyone else here is…. ;)). I can respect the opinions of others (even when different from my own), but perhaps this thread isn't the place for me. Have a good night =)

I agree that they should post if there are any legitimate questions, but I haven't seen very many questions. Those asked have been answered and explained. Opinions on this really don't matter. Anyone can think whatever they'd like, but when their opinions endanger themselves and others, it's not that simple. It's not really an opinion thread. To me, it's a thread to give info on the dangers of not vaccinating, just as the title says that measles is back due to the anti-vacc movement. If the anti-vacc people had a leg to stand on, I feel that they would post like crazy on this thread... but the fact is that all of their "research and studies" have been severely discredited. I doubt you will find a credible medical professional that will be anti-vacc, because vaccinating has been shown to be the safe, responsible thing to do if we want to keep unnecessary breakouts at bay.

Note: Based on what is being posted, it's pretty obvious who has a medical background. I don't know the exact professions of said posters, so I hesitate to say that anyone on here is an expert, but it's clear that they know what they are talking about. It's not their opinion after all, it's facts based on decades of research and real life. I truly hope that those who are leary of vaccinations will check out this thread and read the information that has been provided -- it may save their life or the life of a loved one.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Trust me (yes, I realize an irony-meter is going off somewhere) when I say that only someone who was not here during the REAL wars, would think this thread even remotely resembles bullying. Not.even.close.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ksinger|1395368212|3638418 said:

Trust me (yes, I realize an irony-meter is going off somewhere) when I say that only someone who was not here during the REAL wars, would think this thread even remotely resembles bullying. Not.even.close.

Seriously. At what point did our society become such wusses always crying "bully" when they can't have their way or when they're proven wrong?? Bullying... by way of stressing the importance of vaccinating the population in order to save lives. If that's true, I guess I'm a big bully. As are teachers... and coaches... and parents... and ministers... I could go on all day. Providing facts to combat misconceptions does not a bully make. It's educational and very important regarding this subject matter.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop04|1395368169|3638417 said:
Note: Based on what is being posted, it's pretty obvious who has a medical background. I don't know the exact professions of said posters, so I hesitate to say that anyone on here is an expert, but it's clear that they know what they are talking about. It's not their opinion after all, it's facts based on decades of research and real life. I truly hope that those who are leary of vaccinations will check out this thread and read the information that has been provided -- it may save their life or the life of a loved one.

Of course, like you (a pharmacist?) my niece and nephew whom are Dr. & Pharmacist advised us to vaccinate for every diseases known to mankind, b/c they were taught to do so in medical/Pharmacy school.

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock

I questioned the reason why my children need Hep B at a young age...
When my first son was born in 1991, Hep B was not routine, there were less vaccines, less combination vaccines, and less given at each visit (at least with my pediatrician). When my second son was born in 1992, same pediatrician wanted to give Hep B at 2 or 3 month visit to my baby and also to my 16 month old. I questioned why they needed it and after our discussion they were not vaccinated with the Hep B. After insurance change, I discussed the Hep B with new pediatrician and we decided that my boys would get the Hep B series when they were older, which they did (7th & 8th grade). I also have twins that were born in 2002 and they, like my older children, have a non-traditional vaccination schedule. I have different questions/concerns about each vaccine and discuss them with my pediatrician to decide what is best for each of my children.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: So true. (Runs screaming back out of this thread though, do NOT want to get involved).

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

msop04|1395370443|3638486 said:
Seriously. At what point did our society become such wusses always crying "bully" when they can't have their way or when they're proven wrong??

Right around the same time some brainiac decided it was a good idea to adopt the 'everyone's a winner and there are no losers' philosophy is approximately where I peg it.

This next bit is directed at no one in particular, and not at any single individual in this thread. This has been in my proverbial teakettle for months now, and it's just coming to a full boil.

This bandwagon to call it 'bullying' every time multiple people in a thread share the same viewpoint is way, way off the mark. Tolerance means accepting that others may have different viewpoints, but it sure as hell doesn't mean you have to agree with them, nor does it mean you can't think the other viewpoint is patently uninformed and stupid if you wish to. I honestly wouldn't recommend expressing it that way if you want to promote a more balanced discussion, of course.

Disparate points of view do not rise to the level of bullying, and suggesting that it does is a disservice to those who are victims of *actual* bullying, in my opinion. When any of you gets chased around town or stalked online for no other reason than having someone target you because they think you're weak, I'll be the most sympathetic person on the block and agree that it's bullying and horribly wrong.

Life is not fair....period. There is no guarantee of equity. No one promised that opposing sides of any issue will be equally represented in life, but if it really bothers you that they aren't, feel free to step up and volunteer to advocate for the under-represented side, even if it's only as devil's advocate. If you aren't willing to do that, then the whining about bullying is just hollow.

ETA: To be fair, I will say that I do agree the tone can get to be a bit sanctimonious on several PS threads - enough to make me just check out because it's not worth the energy. I will wholly agree that it can really bug, but it still doesn't rise to the level of bullying.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh come on Alj...you know you have been bullying me for 10 yrs now!... :lol:

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks, pandabee and others, for the information about eggs and flu vaccine.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock

msop04 said:

I agree that they should post if there are any legitimate questions, but I haven't seen very many questions. Those asked have been answered and explained. Opinions on this really don't matter. Anyone can think whatever they'd like, but when their opinions endanger themselves and others, it's not that simple. It's not really an opinion thread. To me, it's a thread to give info on the dangers of not vaccinating, just as the title says that measles is back due to the anti-vacc movement. If the anti-vacc people had a leg to stand on, I feel that they would post like crazy on this thread... but the fact is that all of their "research and studies" have been severely discredited. I doubt you will find a credible medical professional that will be anti-vacc, because vaccinating has been shown to be the safe, responsible thing to do if we want to keep unnecessary breakouts at bay.

This is the way I see it too, if they had a legitimate counter argument they could have offered it in the nearly 6 pages here.

They don't.

You know, it smacks of eugenics, but I still think that Darwinism in action would be for all these anti-vaccers to wipe themselves out with a lovely dose of measles or small pox or polio.

Unfortunately their reckless bloody mindedness in the face of scientific fact is putting all our lives at risk.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire|1395367066|3638396 said:
I doubt any of my kid friends were vaccinated 50 yrs ago.

I'll bet some if not most of them were.

If any of your friends immigrated here from other countries, they were vaccinated even 50 years ago. I know we had to get at least polio vaccinations before we could emigrate to the U.S. Once we got here, I also remembering at least one vaccine that was given to students in school. :shock: It was administered on little sugar cubes, handed out in those little fluted paper cups. (I think it was also a polio vaccine and that I didn't get to get one of those little sugar cubes because I'd already been vaccinated - by syringe - but I'm not sure about that.) I doubt the little school I was in the time had a school nurse, so the vaccine was probably administered by a public health nurse.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results