shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on these princess cut aquas??? *pics*

zcoop7

Rough_Rock
Any opinions on the color of these aquamarines? Gemvara is making my aquamarine ring and the jeweler sent me these pics this afternoon. I am liking the shade of the two on the left, not so crazy about the last one. The first one is .62 ct, middle is .69 ct, and last is .90 ct. I also asked for measurements on all of these, I really wish I had a side view. What do you guys think? I will try to attach a pic of the setting I am getting also. Any opinions are welcome, thanks for the help.

Morgan

_170.jpeg

servlet-1.jpeg

princess-aquamarine-14k-white-gold-ring.jpg

princess-aquamarine-14k-white-gold-ring-3.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree that that the two on the left have better color BUT all three are very windowed.
I like the ring you posted and I assume that is the look you want.....and that stone is not windowed.

zcoop7

Rough_Rock
I am not sure what windowed means (I am a newbie). :twirl: Is it a bad thing at all or just a personal preference? I do like the light aqua that is pictured on the ring but I have also seen some gorgeous darker ones. I was also wondering why the carat size was so varied on these but I assume cut has a lot to do with it? Thanks so much for your help!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, they are all windowed, and that's a cut flaw. See how they look blank and boring in the middle? Aquamarines have a low RI, so they need specific angles to not have windows. I would not buy any of those. They won't sparkle in the middle. You'll see through the stone to the metal.

This is a precision cut princess aquamarine, you can see the difference:
http://loupetroop.com/listings/loos...aquamarine-by-gene-at-precision-gem-6-dot-6mm

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

zcoop7

Rough_Rock
Wow! That one is beautiful! I definitely see what you are saying...now I am completely on the fence about the ring. I wanted the ring to wear to work because I am always terrified I am gonna lose my asscher ering and I would just freak out if that happened. My budget wasn't very big for this ring so that is probably why I will never have a nice aqua :( I might need to reconsider this all together. Thanks for your help!

zcoop7

Rough_Rock
That information is very helpful! You are right about it being disappointing that they picture a stone that looks nothing like the one you will get. :(

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is your budget?

zcoop7

Rough_Rock
I didn't want to go over $750 for this ring (crappy budget I know). This one was actually priced at $735 but I got it for $580...I think Gemvara really sucks people in with their website but what you see isn't always what you get. Would any of these stones really be worth anything? I will probably have to choose a stone and let them make the ring but they have a great return policy so at least I can send it back. I'm not sure if I can cancel my order at this point but I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow and see what my options are.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you paid them money? We can probably put something together with your budget. I would cancel your transaction with them altogether, if possible.

BTW, nothing is going to look like that mockup - it's a CAD, so not even a picture of a real item.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would inquire about the stone I linked to above, and then I would ask Michael E how much this setting would cost:

http://www.stuller.com/products/70655/?groupId=35531

Or another solitaire setting. He probably has access to catalogs of stock settings that you might be interested in.

Here is his website: http://www.gemshoppe.com/

Or, you could go a completely different direction!

zcoop7

Rough_Rock
I have paid unfortunately :( If I bought a stone and setting separately would I have to take it to a local jewler to set it? If they even do that? I am full of questions haha

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
this is a ring to be worn to work?
if so, aqua may be inappropriate.....depending on what you do at work.
it has a tendency to chip and crack if struck right/wrong.
and a setting in which the girdle is not protected will make the possibility of that happening much greater.
and it is definitely not a 24/7 ring.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
zcoop7|1392773487|3618224 said:
I have paid unfortunately :( If I bought a stone and setting separately would I have to take it to a local jewler to set it? If they even do that? I am full of questions haha
Yes, for a fee. It could be anywhere from $30-$250. Usually on the lower end for something relatively simple.

It looks as though Gemvara offers 24/7 hour support so I would call right now. If you paid via credit card, and they give you trouble, I'd take it to your CC company.

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1392775138|3618245 said:
zcoop7|1392773487|3618224 said:
Yes, for a fee. It could be anywhere from $30-$250. Usually on the lower end for something relatively simple.

It looks as though Gemvara offers 24/7 hour support so I would call right now. If you paid via credit card, and they give you trouble, I'd take it to your CC company.

Absolutely, I came late to the game, but I would call as soon as you can. All three of the stone's that they showed you are windowed, and you shouldn't be locked into purchasing any one of them without having had a chance to see them first. At a minimum, if they or your CC company give you trouble, I would ask to see other stone's that they have available, or if you've only put down a non-refundable deposit, rather than pay for everything, you can see if they'll just provide the setting & charge no more, and then you can go select a stone to place into the ring. I'm sorry that you were making a purchase based on a pic that doesn't show you what you'll actually receive, and I hope it works out for the best for you.

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
+1

There are many other options out there and the lovely ladies on this board are wonderful at finding gorgeous stones within budgets.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely call them. I think you can do much better with your budget, especially with the fine folks here to help you :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you cannot get your money back, I would have Gemvara find a better cut aquamarine for you. Princess cuts may not be trouble-free to set due to their points which tend to chip more easily, so I prefer to have a one stop shop in this case (gem, ring and setter all at a single location so that the bench/jeweller is responsible for all and any damages). If it were a round, cushion, oval or some other shape without a tip or point, I would have no concerns having an "outside" jeweller set an aquamarine. As MZ mentioned, if this is going to be an everyday wear ring, you might want to reconsider using a different type of stone instead of aquamarine. If it is a desk job, you are fine but if you expect it to be in a rougher environment, a hardier gem type is better suited.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results