IYO...is owning pets a luxury?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:))

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
actually, for some it really is.
there is more to having a pet than providing clean water, food, and a dry place to sleep.
VET BILLs.
taking care of pet health issues is pricey.......

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Seeing that they're not a necessity for life (neither are children!) then yes they are a choice and a luxury. But mostly they are a responsibility and people should only have them if they are committed to looking after them with love and care.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
The beloved family pet often becomes an unwanted luxury expense when people start struggling financially or when life throws them a curve ball. I wish people would think long and hard before becoming pet owners. Foster a pet ,volunteer for an animal rescue or animal shelter but do not become a pet owner if you cannot commit to taking care of a pet for the rest of its life no matter what circumstances arise in your life.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's both a privilege and responsibility to be a pet owner because they are part of the family no question about it. So yes it is a luxury and so are having children though many people don't treat having children as a luxury but more as a right (IMO). If one decides to have pets they need to be able to care for them and not call it quits when the going gets tough. Just like when one decides to have or adopt children.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Yes. I had a FB friend who was constantly moaning about her finances, but then kept picking up pets for a few months and then had to get rid of them when she hit a financial road block. It made me crazy and I had to de-friend.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
No, they're a blessing

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Luxury? In a sense of finances, yes. It's definitely not a necessity. It brings me the most joy in the world when I am feeling down or tired, and I have my peke hop around or attack me with cuddles. Worth every penny, and then some.

I'm not the type to make my dog my "child", though, and spend thousands a month on him. He's my dog. He doesn't wear clothes, doesn't eat brand name foods (I switched him from canned to kibbles when I went back to school and he's been fine), and doesn't have elaborate toys. He's happy just sitting next to me every moment I'm home.

Do you have pets? I think I remember you saying you don't?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1392710075|3617693 said:
https://www.pricescope.com/forum/hangout/iyo-are-pets-a-luxury-item-t154135-60.html

DF! Get some new material!!! :lol: :naughty:
that thread is locked and we have new members since... :tongue:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
madelise|1392739626|3617782 said:
Luxury? In a sense of finances, yes. It's definitely not a necessity. It brings me the most joy in the world when I am feeling down or tired, and I have my peke hop around or attack me with cuddles. Worth every penny, and then some.

I'm not the type to make my dog my "child", though, and spend thousands a month on him. He's my dog. He doesn't wear clothes, doesn't eat brand name foods (I switched him from canned to kibbles when I went back to school and he's been fine), and doesn't have elaborate toys. He's happy just sitting next to me every moment I'm home.

I have a parrot and koi do they count as pets?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1392740502|3617788 said:
monarch64|1392710075|3617693 said:
https://www.pricescope.com/forum/hangout/iyo-are-pets-a-luxury-item-t154135-60.html

DF! Get some new material!!! :lol: :naughty:
that thread is locked and we have new members since... :tongue:

Haha, ok, fair enough. Don't you have a bunch of expensive koi fish? We need pics of you swimming with them in your Speedo. :sun: :devil:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1392727695|3617720 said:
It's both a privilege and responsibility to be a pet owner because they are part of the family no question about it. So yes it is a luxury and so are having children though many people don't treat having children as a luxury but more as a right (IMO). If one decides to have pets they need to be able to care for them and not call it quits when the going gets tough. Just like when one decides to have or adopt children.

I hardly know how to wrap myself around that one...I will only say that you can only assert that living when and where you do. The rest of the world would likely disagree quite a lot.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1392741165|3617794 said:
madelise|1392739626|3617782 said:

I have a parrot and koi do they count as pets?

I think the parrot does, yes. Parrots live long long lives.. longer than dogs. And they're brilliant animals. What type of parrot do you have? I used to have a sun conure, an African grey, and this one that's green with a little bit of red. I can't remember what type that one is called, I always forget. His name was Jasper and he loved loved loved to fly on to me if he saw me drinking from a cup. He'd walk over to my chest and shove his own face into my cup, regardless of what I'm drinking. He loved milk, coke, water, juice, anything.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a Amazon Blue Front. He/she.. :confused: is 19 yrs old.

amazon_0.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1392742884|3617816 said:
missy|1392727695|3617720 said:

I hardly know how to wrap myself around that one...I will only say that you can only assert that living when and where you do. The rest of the world would likely disagree quite a lot.

Perhaps and I respect their right to do so but I still think having children is a privilege and not something to be taken lightly. It is a blessing and a privilege and yes, IMO a luxury as well as a real commitment that some people take too lightly.

And just want to add that anyone who doesn't view animals as family perhaps aren't the best people to have them as pets.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
After losing three pets in the same year, all at 17, 15 (doggies were bichons) bird was 12 Khackie... I never thought of them as a luxury. I just needed them.. My kids lived with them forever.. The loss of Casper is still hurting... The bird was never meant to last 15 years she was a wee one.... But ruled the house... I to this day miss her songs...

I did get a new dog Charlie who is two. She is a Morkie.. My heart and was born the day Casper died so it was a sign. I don't know how to do pic here, but have many on FB...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results