shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you keep a chipped oec?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently got a lovely lower colored OEC, just arrived in the mail, and I"m sad to say there's a substantial chip. :/
That being said, I'm thinking of keeping it and either seeing if I can bezel set it safely or maybe even try to polish it out...
It's about 6.2mm, so likely .9-1ct range I'd guess. The price is likely reflective of the color and damage, but I don't know if I"m better off just going with a smaller diamond without the chipping issue, though I would likely have to sacrifice quite a bit of size, the same budget might afford a .5ct...

img_3697.jpg

img_3698.jpg

img_3699.jpg

img_3700.jpg

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
Can you have a professional evaluate the stone? Maybe it's not worth having the chip polished out unless you really love the stone. Maybe you can see if the stone could be set into a bezel setting if you want to keep it?

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I kept a pretty chipped OEC, it was a beautiful stone and the chip didn't look like it would get worse. I put it in a bezeled pendant and it looked great. I eventually sold it to a PSer and she put it in a bezled ering. It still looks great!

Depends on the nature of the chip, if you can get some professional opinions that might help. But also consider if you really love the stone on its own -- the performance, cut, etc. If it's just a perfect little OEC and the chip is the only thing that worries you, then maybe keep it (esp if the price was really good!).

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GemFever|1392512250|3616089 said:
I kept a pretty chipped OEC, it was a beautiful stone and the chip didn't look like it would get worse. I put it in a bezeled pendant and it looked great. I eventually sold it to a PSer and she put it in a bezled ering. It still looks great!

Depends on the nature of the chip, if you can get some professional opinions that might help. But also consider if you really love the stone on its own -- the performance, cut, etc. If it's just a perfect little OEC and the chip is the only thing that worries you, then maybe keep it (esp if the price was really good!).

Yeah I think I'll take it to the jeweler and see if it can be safely put in a bezel. I contacted the seller to see if we can settle on a price. If I can keep it for a steal then I'll likely keep it since I can't really justify the price that 1ct oecs usually go for, lol.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results