shape
carat
color
clarity

America, the Beautiful..

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice! Thanks for sharing it madelise. I don't watch commercials and I don't watch the Super Bowl so I often miss these good commercials.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Don't bother reading the comments, bigotry abounds. So sick of the political vitriol from the keyboard warriors of America. :nono:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I actually really liked it but idiots are blowing it way way WAY out of proportion. I loved hearing it in other languages because so many songs can't translate properly phonetically. It's interesting and neat to me that the American anthem can.

PLUS wasn't one of the languages in the commericals a native American dialect? How is that un-American? Once again ppl are idiots.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/coca-cola-super-bowl-ad-inspires-racist-twitter-backlash/

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
SB621|1391438136|3606916 said:
I actually really liked it but idiots are blowing it way way WAY out of proportion. I loved hearing it in other languages because so many songs can't translate properly phonetically. It's interesting and neat to me that the American anthem can.

PLUS wasn't one of the languages in the commericals a native American dialect? How is that un-American? Once again ppl are idiots.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/coca-cola-super-bowl-ad-inspires-racist-twitter-backlash/

It actually isn't our anthem, but I really liked the commercial too.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Christina...|1391442872|3606951 said:

Sorry multitasking here but I think you got my point.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1391444505|3606973 said:
Christina...|1391442872|3606951 said:

Sorry multitasking here but I think you got my point.

I wish it was our national anthem. I always preferred this to our actual anthem which is somewhat violent.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I loved it. It brought tears to my eyes. I am so sappy when it comes to things like this. Great Job Coke a cola! Thanks Madelise!

Annette

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
deleted

I hope that I didn't upset or offend SB! :)) I certainly didn't mean to and agree with you that it was a beautiful commercial. I actually had a response explaining my feelings on the whole commercial, but then deleted it in hopes of not offending anyone else. :o

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Christina...|1391457406|3607116 said:
deleted

I hope that I didn't upset or offend SB! :)) I certainly didn't mean to and agree with you that it was a beautiful commercial. I actually had a response explaining my feelings on the whole commercial, but then deleted it in hopes of not offending anyone else. :o

Not at all Christina! I was just doing a quick post in between meetings and movers! Today is one of those days where I try to spew out my thoughts but don't think about how others might interpet as I'm just trying to post and run! ;)) Honey you got nothin' to apologise about! :))

Missy I agree with you. I like it better too. It is just so uplifting to me.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Gosh, so much for allowing for a difference of opinion.

I'm not ignorant or a bigot or an idiot blowing it out of proportion. But I didn't like it. At all.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOVE! :love:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1391460886|3607157 said:

I'm not ignorant or a bigot or an idiot blowing it out of proportion. But I didn't like it. At all.

I don't believe anyone called you names. I think JG, myself and anyone else I missed were discussing some of the very rude, ignorant and yes bigot comments that were posted about it in the two links posted. You can of course say you didn't like or care for the commerical but stuff like saying it was a descration :?: is just silly.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
SB621|1391463994|3607187 said:

I don't believe anyone called you names. I think JG, myself and anyone else I missed were discussing some of the very rude, ignorant and yes bigot comments that were posted about it in the two links posted. You can of course say you didn't like or care for the commerical but stuff like saying it was a descration :?: is just silly.

You are right, nobody called me names, specifically. And the ignorant thing came from a friend's post on fb. Actually, she said the response was "The predictability of the ignorant."

As for the commercial, I thought it was very pretty from an artistic standpoint. I would just preferred it to be to a different song.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1391465280|3607210 said:

You are right, nobody called me names, specifically. And the ignorant thing came from a friend's post on fb. Actually, she said the response was "The predictability of the ignorant."

As for the commercial, I thought it was very pretty from an artistic standpoint. I would just preferred it to be to a different song.

I think that I may have missed several posts and many may have seen mine before I deleted it. I enjoyed the commercial, but don't deny anyone the right to feel how they felt about it. My frustration and embarrassment comes from Americans who claim to be insulted or offended and yet also believe America the Beautiful to be our national anthem. It's an embarrassment to me when these same 'Americans" know less about this countries history and traditions than the immigrants they speak out against. :((

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought it was a lovely commercial. Not my favorite (I like commercials with animals, sue me), but I thought it was really lovely and was surprised at the controversy.

One of my friends told me that the bigoted backlash included comments like ""English was good enough for Jesus, learn it!" And since that very nearly made my head explode I have not read any of the keyboard warrior comments.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My secondary reaction today was that they didn't have ENOUGH diversity :) I would have loved to see some Asian languages represented instead of just Pacific Islander-Asian Tagalog. Would have loved some Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese.. Just ONE of them! But maybe I'm being picky.

I wonder if there's a list of which languages were included? I know Spanish and Tagalog, but I can't recognize the others.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did not find the commercial at all offensive.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
I thought it was beautiful!

Lori

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Christina...|1391471108|3607317 said:
amc80|1391465280|3607210 said:

I think that I may have missed several posts and many may have seen mine before I deleted it. I enjoyed the commercial, but don't deny anyone the right to feel how they felt about it. My frustration and embarrassment comes from Americans who claim to be insulted or offended and yet also believe America the Beautiful to be our national anthem. It's an embarrassment to me when these same 'Americans" know less about this countries history and traditions than the immigrants they speak out against. :((

I didn't see your response only the deleted part so perhaps I missed that :loopy: But honestly I think most people were like me and just made an honest mistake. In several news article it is being reported as an anthem vs a patriotic song vs. whatever you want to call it. When ppl get passionate they tend to miss the details. Out of this whole news story the fact that ppl are calling it the anthem is the very least of my concerns. And I'm sure 95% of them know the actual national anthem and the difference between that and ATB.

Did anyone else notice the Coke commerical also had a homosexual couple? Apparently now that the first controversy is calming down they are finally noticing what the film actually showed. I'm telling you the marketing rep who came up with this ad deserves a big bonus. Anyhow this sort of makes me love it more. :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I watched the clips of them taping all the girls singing for the commercial. That was even better than the actual commercial to me! (And there was a little girl who beautifully sang in Mandarin Chinese but I don't know if all of them made it into the commercial or not.)

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

How come?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soda is really bad for you.

Little wonder Coke manipulates us with feel-good ads having nothing to do with their product.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome back Kenny! :wavey:

I doubt that a feel-good Coke ad like this one creates new soda drinkers; at best it might get some existing cola drinkers to switch brands. But... ads that highlight sodas rather than water or some other beverage as the way to slake thirst... product placement that puts a cola front and center rather than a glass of water or a carton or milk or something... "value meals" that push sodas... I totally agree with you there.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Until I saw this thread I didn't realize that this Coke commercial was the lovely, lilting song that I had heard coming from the room where my daughter had been watching the Superbowl on Sunday. I loved it because of the high, pure, young girls' voices and the harmony. (Those of you who participate in the holiday music threads will know that I am passionate about that kind of vocal music.)

Just now I watched how the commercial was made in its entirety and saw all the languages that were recorded so that they could be mixed into the commercial. (I don't know that all of them were used.) I think it was an absolutely brilliant commercial from the point of view of Coke because I think it is extremely easy on the ears and that people will not mind, and may really enjoy, listening to it! Look at how we have sought it out!

Although I am not particularly fond of, "The Star Spangled Banner" as our national anthem, I also heard that coming from the room where the television was. I really perked up and listened for who had sung that. I have never heard it sung better. The soprano Renée Fleming sang an arrangement by the musician Rob Mathes that I found absolutely exquisite. Everyone should listen to that, too.

Renée Fleming's "Star Spangled Banner"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6AchLVg7ho

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1391504429|3607569 said:
Welcome back Kenny! :wavey:

That, too.

Deb

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I thought it was so lovely. I can't even comprehend getting upset over this commercial. One of the most beautiful things about America is that we are a melting pot of race, culture, and yes... languages.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony...

Coke has had this message since the 70's.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1391498659|3607562 said:
Soda is really bad for you.
Little wonder Coke manipulates us with feel-good ads having nothing to do with their product.

and once again I agree with Kenny!

welcome back!

re the "controversy": it is a song. period. IT IS NOT THE NATIONAL ANTHEM which I might be persuaded should be sung in English........it is an advertisement for a nasty product to which I was once addicted....still am: the smell of their product still to this day makes me want to indulge.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Good to see you Kenny! I, for one am able to separate the drinking of coke, which I hate, from the beautiful song sung in the different languages. I agree with SB. Give that marketing executive a big bonus.

Yes, the making of it was the best part.!

Annette

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results