shape
carat
color
clarity

Makeup Organizer - Anybody own an acrylic one?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't own any but I really wish I did! I am very disorganised where my make up is concerned. I'd love to have it stored in clear boxes so I don't have to search for things.

gemmyblond

Shiny_Rock
I own several acrylic organizers for makeup/lipsticks/bathroom stuff, all purchased from Bed Bath & Beyond. Some were specifically for makeup, some were just general acrylic organizer pieces. They've held up well, the acrylic is substantial and hasn't chipped or cracked, and the pieces were all pretty reasonably priced (espec using those ubiquitous BBB coupons that come in the mail!).
I have a larger makeup organizer with specific compartments as the main piece; I've had it for a looong time and it still looks good. It's like the one in this link but not curved:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/Arched-Multi-Purpose-Cosmetic-Organizer-Caddy/1040471808

I also bought a couple of smaller acrylic pieces that fit into a drawer; each has 6-8 holes cut out for standing up lipsticks. And finally, got a couple extra small pieces to hold bath stuff, spare soaps etc.

Good luck!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I don't own one and never thought about it, but now I obviously NEED this. My makeup organization is non-existent. I really like that one from BBB.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am far too dis-organised to use them, however, if I were to buy any, I would opt for the ones in Muji, as they are very well made.

Need to be careful not to let acrylic come into contact with oils/creams/oinments for prolong period of time, as they will weaken the plastic and make them easier to break, as I have discovered with the acrylic lids for Muji's stackable acrylic small jars.

DK :))

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! I've been on a Sephora rampage as of late and I feel like I would use a more variety of my makeup if it was organized and easy to find. As of right now, I just have been using my latest and greatest items that are left out on my counter!

Maisie, I am leaning towards the Muji. Affordable and seem to get good reviews! You should do it!

Ame, awesome! Thanks for posting! Do you stack any of these together? It is hard to tell the depth in each drawer...does the 5 drawer units have a more shallow depth than the 2 drawer ones?

Gemmyblond, thanks! Are any of your pieces from BBB with drawers?

AMC, I really NEED one too! My side of our vanity is a hot mess with all of my stuff and I really like the see thru-ness of the acrylic.

DK, how do you clean yours? And how often? Thanks for your feedback!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had a number over the years. Usually just basic ones from Container Store. I have a mutt system going on now, with some turquoise plastic drawers from Target, some acrylic organizers (a set of three drawers, a multi-organizer, and two lipstick organizers), pretty paper-covered-cardboard drawers for things I use less often, a $1 bucket from Target for brushes. I prefer the deeper drawers of the turquoise thing to the shallowness of the clear ones - the clear is only around an inch deep whereas the Target ones are closer to two inches. Since I've never had the space for a real vanity, it's all on a kitchen storage cart, also from Target. lol.

photo_177.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not a great pic but yes, I do stack them. Here's four of them in this image. The 5-drawer is definitely shallower drawers.

Here's a better pic I took, a 2dr stacked on top of the 5dr.

stockedcloset2mujis.jpg

stackedmujiswm.jpg

PetitiePoire

Shiny_Rock
I've never thought too much about what to store makeup in. I've used bags, drawers, and boxes throughout the years. I currently have my everyday stuff organized in two 4 drawer organizers from target. Nothing special since it hides under the sink.

That said, it makes me curious about the acrylic ones since many of you have them and love them. What makes them better than a basic organizer? Do you keep these out in the open in your bathroom or tucked away?

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Ame, thanks for the pics!! Do they stack easily? On youtube some of the reviewers say that the 5 drawer and the 2 drawer ones don't line up to stack. I'm debating on getting 2 of the 2 drawer ones with no lid and 1 of the 2 drawer ones with lid and stack them all. Do you think they'd stack ok? And not fall over or anything?

Distracts, what a setup you have there! I like the ones that you have the pencils/brushes in as well!

PP, I saw these when researching some makeup organizers and really want them now! I'm excited! I think they look great too!

sorry for all the edits....

gemmyblond

Shiny_Rock
Hi lizzyann,

None of mine have drawers. I don't have much makeup really (and usually wear the same few boring colors, except lipstick) so just the one big organizer works really well for most of my everyday face makeup. One thing I do like is that the one I have has 3 different levels -- the back row is stepped up a bit from the 2nd row, etc. This helps see stuff easily, and each row has different size openings and cubbies.

And yes, I keep the big main one out on the counter every day, all the time. Then I keep the smaller ones for lipsticks and creams/soaps etc tucked in the bathroom drawers. I also bought small, dedicated acrylic pieces for things like cotton balls, Qtips etc -- each one gets its own little covered container in the drawer. I found some that are clear acrylic small boxes with hinged lids and they're terrific for that kind of stuff. (Sorry if this is more than you ever wanted to know!)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
lizzyann|1388460317|3583532 said:
Ame, thanks for the pics!! Do they stack easily? On youtube some of the reviewers say that the 5 drawer and the 2 drawer ones don't line up to stack. I'm debating on getting 2 of the 2 drawer ones with no lid and 1 of the 2 drawer ones with lid and stack them all. Do you think they'd stack ok? And not fall over or anything?

Distracts, what a setup you have there! I like the ones that you have the pencils/brushes in as well!

PP, I saw these when researching some makeup organizers and really want them now! I'm excited! I think they look great too!

sorry for all the edits....
They stack fine, and there's some kind of little rubber footing on the bottom and they don't slide around at all. Those are lined up pretty good, I think. I keep them inside my bathroom closet on a shelf and I can get into them fairly easily. If I had room on that shelf to stack one more on top of them I'd have another on the right there. I think you could get three on top of each other just fine.

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
distracts|1388458154|3583509 said:
I've had a number over the years. Usually just basic ones from Container Store. I have a mutt system going on now, with some turquoise plastic drawers from Target, some acrylic organizers (a set of three drawers, a multi-organizer, and two lipstick organizers), pretty paper-covered-cardboard drawers for things I use less often, a $1 bucket from Target for brushes. I prefer the deeper drawers of the turquoise thing to the shallowness of the clear ones - the clear is only around an inch deep whereas the Target ones are closer to two inches. Since I've never had the space for a real vanity, it's all on a kitchen storage cart, also from Target. lol.

photo_177.jpg

I have clear ones like the blue ones in this photo. I have gotten them at target and walmart. They are very inexpensive and work well.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Woohoo!!! They are really nice, I was blown away. I used to own one from another brand that cost WAY more and didn't hold up. I don't get creams or ointments on these, they just store all the compacts and tubes and brushes and whatnots, so Im not concerned about that, but the old one I had did not hold up to even rarely opened drawers. These seem like they'd do well. The one with the opening top is one I usually open and set a brush cup in if I need to. Right now it's closed and I have something else sitting on top (my hoards of mascara backstock....) If I had anywhere to leave them out and viewable, man I so would. I wanted clear on purpose bec I need to see all the crap I have crammed inside. I told myself NO MORE makeup anything for at least a month. Let's see how that goes.

SandyCheeks

Brilliant_Rock
I recently purchased this set from frontgate.com. It's perfect for my needs, I don't have a ton of makeup nor do I have lots counter space. It makes the counter look neater and it's sort of pretty.

_13276.jpg

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Sandycheeks, this is a really nice organizer! I don't have a ton of stuff, but enough that I need something to keep it handy. Right now, I just use all the same products because I don't feel like looking around for others! Plus, I usually have my two kiddos causing trouble in the bathroom with me while I'm trying to get ready so I have to be speedy!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to give an update that my Muji containers arrived in and they are EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thank you ladies for all of your recommendations! I also made the little brush holder with an old vase and some silver filler sand. Loving it!

Ame, I find myself wanting to buy more makeup now that it is all so organized and pretty!

Edited to add...not sure why the pic is sideways, it's not on my end when I view it.

makeup_holder.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks GREAT!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results