shape
carat
color
clarity

3ct Gray Spinel OEC

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I like about my HOW rings is that they really showcase the gem and that they are handmade. The rings have held up really well to all sorts of physical work I do and I am a teacher and horticulturalist! know HOW was the first to make a lotus setting and it is copyrighted and yet there are many that look like it out there even with the name "lotus." I don't mean to throw the word around, but it is a fact. In all of the pictures posted, even the Whiteflash one, I see Sally's original ideas. I will continue to support her in her work! :)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
ilovegemstones|1384906827|3559566 said:
What I like about my HOW rings is that they really showcase the gem and that they are handmade. The rings have held up really well to all sorts of physical work I do and I am a teacher and horticulturalist! know HOW was the first to make a lotus setting and it is copyrighted and yet there are many that look like it out there even with the name "lotus." I don't mean to throw the word around, but it is a fact. In all of the pictures posted, even the Whiteflash one, I see Sally's original ideas. I will continue to support her in her work! :)
This thread isn't about HoW or any lotus rings, now is it?

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, it is not, but I felt it was necessary to say that her jewelry stands up to wear because of your post above.

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
ilovegemstones|1384827436|3558899 said:
As far as I know the whole lotus design was copyrighted by Heart of Water Jewels. I see that as 4 petal prongs holding a gem with scrolls on the side. To me the rings look very similar. I know copying goes on large scale and that is sad! The 1st and 3rd pics are JuliaBJewelry's lotus and the 2nd and 4th are HeartofWater's. I have never seen a lotus ring before Heart of Water's lotuses and that was years ago.

Note: The picture of JuliaBJewelry's ring with the diamond on the side is of her Tulip setting. She has Lotus settings with 4 large petals and 4 small ones without diamonds in the petals like the picture in this post.

Added: Freke, your spinel really is stunning and it is going to look fabulous on you in any of those settings. I think it would look awesome in platinum or white gold with rose gold accents.

Yes Sally was the 'first' to design her lotus ring and it is copyrighted but with all the 'inspired' Lotus rings out there, a big jewelry house should have the sense to buy the design rights from her.

In otherwords a JuliaBJewelry 'tulip' or 'lotus' ring is a rip off. Sally makes quality jewelry and provides fantastic service. She is currently designing the 5th and 6th pieces ive purchased from her and I love each and every piece I have received so far. So I wont be going to LM or Julia for a copy of her work. I apologize for the threadjack.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry, but I've already shown my irritation for the threadjack about HoW on this thread, and said so on my last post. Why on earth would you think it's ok to continue it?

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
ilovegemstones|1384908052|3559578 said:
No, it is not, but I felt it was necessary to say that her jewelry stands up to wear because of your post above.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1384905897|3559554 said:
Velouria, since HoW settings have been brought up, I am not a fan of them either. I've actually played with one before and it did not feel substantial to me at all. I felt like I could crush the shank if I grabbed something too hard while wearing it because it was just that thin. So yes, pretty to look at, but not practical to wear.
The above is my own personal opinion of something I held in my hands. I am not particularly hard on my rings, but I felt very much like that ring would not last long with regular wear.

This thread was supposed to be about a gem that I was very excited to receive and a new vendor that I could describe my experience with, and has devolved into crap about a vendor I have never patronized and will never patronize because I do not care for her work. I was hoping that it would die out and I wouldn't have to look at it anymore, but now I'm going to ask Ella to close it.

There are plenty of HoW threads out there, and you can always start another. This thread is not the place to give your testimonials about how great your lotus rings are and how wonderful Sally is, and how everyone who has ever made a lotus ring is copying Sally.

I will probably not post this stone once it is set because of this thread.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Freke! Please post the gem when it is set!!! Don't let a couple of comments deter you. Even if it's just in a the Show Me sticky, where off-topic comments are clearly forbidden.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP - since you openly and repeatedly state this thread is not only about the Gray Spinel but also working with a new-to-you vendor, I don't see how it is not relevant for posters to bring up that vendor's settings and perceived similarities to other vendors' settings. From my understanding of PS forum rules, starting a thread does not give you any rights to dictate how that thread may evolve when, as in this case, contributing posts are actually relevant to your chosen topic.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"OP - since you openly and repeatedly state this thread is not only about the Gray Spinel but also working with a new-to-you vendor, I don't see how it is not relevant for posters to bring up that vendor's settings and perceived similarities to other vendors' settings. From my understanding of PS forum rules, starting a thread does not give you any rights to dictate how that thread may evolve when, as in this case, contributing posts are actually relevant to your chosen topic. "

I agree. Also OP has taken part in the discussion and has posted pictures comparing the two settings. I think this thread should continue.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
marymm|1385068003|3560831 said:
OP - since you openly and repeatedly state this thread is not only about the Gray Spinel but also working with a new-to-you vendor, I don't see how it is not relevant for posters to bring up that vendor's settings and perceived similarities to other vendors' settings. From my understanding of PS forum rules, starting a thread does not give you any rights to dictate how that thread may evolve when, as in this case, contributing posts are actually relevant to your chosen topic.
It's off topic. Anyone looking for that particular discussion isn't going to have an easy time finding it buried in my thread. The stone was bought from JuliaB, but it seems to me that this talk of copying and copyrights was not brought up by me and is not relevant to the topic at hand, but someone with some kind of vendetta against JuliaB. This is concerning her stone, yes. But not her settings. Or HoW. I didn't even mention JuliaB in the title of the thread. Which is why I suggested a new thread for those who have something to say about HoW and JuliaB and the similarities between settings.

I am not one that usually cares about deviation from topics at hand, but this seems a bit malicious, and I don't have any interest in it continuing in my thread.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I really hope you'll still post when you have your gem set! It's beautiful and I'm hoping to see how it turns out.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Um, no offense to the last two posters, but I find your posts odd and uncalled for... So odd that I wonder if the vendor in question is behind the posts - which makes them look really bad. Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill!

Freke, love the spinel! I'm sad you won't be posting your finished product :(.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no vendetta against JuliaBJewelry. Anyone who reads this thread will see that time and time again I kept trying to bring it back to Freke's spinel and she was sarcastic and malicious in her reply, every time. I only stated facts. And I am not Sally, Mico. I am a customer of hers who loves her original work and is aghast at all the copies out there of it, people calling her lotus design a new design by them! Honesty and integrity are very important to me. Sally did not even know I posted this all till after the fact when I pointed out to her that there is a thread discussing all the vendours who are selling "lotus" rings even though the lotus ring is copyrighted. JuliaBJewelry's first lotus was an exact copy of Sally's lotus with the same pedestal, sidescrolls and and was removed from her shop at Sally's insistence. A lot of the "lotuses" have also been switched to "tulips" in JuliaB's shop. Whiteflash's ring and Leon Mege's also was hugely based on Sally's original idea which she created not from elements from other designs, but from her imagination.

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
ilovegemstones|1385069146|3560846 said:
I have no vendetta against JuliaBJewelry. Anyone who reads this thread will see that time and time again I kept trying to bring it back to Freke's spinel and she was sarcastic and malicious in her reply, every time. I only stated facts.

No affiliation to OP, Julia or HoW but...I respectfully disagree with this statement. Your "facts" come with a lot of interpretation. Please don't try to victimize yourself.

Let's play nice.

Freke has a pretty OEC spinel. Cool beans. :love: :love:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
ilovegemstones|1384819280|3558814 said:
Your spinel is magnificent! I love many of that vendour's stones. The only thing that I don't like is that her lotus setting looks a lot like Sally's lotus setting that she created and copyrighted at Heart of Water Jewels. Some of her other settings are really neat though. I agree with white gold or platinum for this stone! :love:
This was your first post in this thread ILG, with no provocation from anyone else, or mention of any lotus settings.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will preface by saying I do not own any settings from both vendors. I do, however, think that there is some relevance to the question of setting similarities due to JuliaB's sales policy that one cannot buy her stone without buying her setting, so her settings can be called into question. That said, however it pans out, is out of our control as such is the nature of open forums. I do not see it as an exact copy but an inspired design.

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1385069559|3560851 said:
I will preface by saying I do not own any settings from both vendors. I do, however, think that there is some relevance to the question of setting similarities due to JuliaB's sales policy that one cannot buy her stone without buying her setting, so her settings can be called into question. That said, however it pans out, is out of our control as such is the nature of open forums. I do not see it as an exact copy but an inspired design.

Considering that Freke doesn't seem to even have an idea of which setting she intends to purchase from Julia, the relevance of setting similarities is about 3 steps away.

Freke has the right to ask for this thread to close regardless of how it goes because it makes her uncomfortable but I agree that it is very much out of our control since this is an open forum. Oh well. I hope this ends well for all parties.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"I have no vendetta against JuliaBJewelry. Anyone who reads this thread will see that time and time again I kept trying to bring it back to Freke's spinel and she was sarcastic and malicious in her reply, every time. I only stated facts. And I am not Sally, Mico. I am a customer of hers who loves her original work and is aghast at all the copies out there of it, people calling her lotus design a new design by them! Honesty and integrity are very important to me. Sally did not even know I posted this all till after the fact when I pointed out to her that there is a thread discussing all the vendours who are selling "lotus" rings even though the lotus ring is copyrighted. JuliaBJewelry's first lotus was an exact copy of Sally's lotus with the same pedestal, sidescrolls and and was removed from her shop at Sally's insistence. A lot of the "lotuses" have also been switched to "tulips" in JuliaB's shop. Whiteflash's ring and Leon Mege's also was hugely based on Sally's original idea which she created not from elements from other designs, but from her imagination. "

I reposted what I wrote above because I have added to it. Anyone who is talking about being nice should be directing comments to OP, who's posts are dripping with sarcasm.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
ILG, I don't know what your problem with me is.

In rereading your posts to this thread, it became clear that you appear to have an agenda of accusing Julia B of copying Sally's design work. Lotus jewelry and flower jewelry have been around for centuries. Look at the Hawaiian lei. It's made of flowers. Flowers have been the inspiration for jewelry as long as jewelry has been around.

You're allowed to be a Sally fangirl. I'm certainly not going to get in the way of that. Even though it may not be traceable on the computer and internet, I can guarantee you that Sally was not the first person to dream up a lotus inspired ring. Jewelry has been made for millenia. And just because it's not on the internet doesn't mean it's not out there.

Please take your negativity out of my thread. You're not posting in the positive, helpful spirit of Pricescope, and I don't want to associate a beautiful gemstone with such ugliness.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have started a separate thread because this deserves it's own thread. Any ugliness, you have brought on Frekechild with sarcasm and maliciousness as shown here, "Velouria, since HoW settings have been brought up, I am not a fan of them either. I've actually played with one before and it did not feel substantial to me at all. I felt like I could crush the shank if I grabbed something too hard while wearing it because it was just that thin. So yes, pretty to look at, but not practical to wear." I tried to be nice over and over and bring it back to your spinel and you always responded with sarcasm.

Yes, flower rings have been around forever but not the lotus design. Please show me a lotus design like hers from before 2008 and I will reconsider, but everything I have seen posted here has come after.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is an example of how I said what I needed to say and brought it back to your spinel, trying to be nice even after your antagonism.

As far as I know the whole lotus design was copyrighted by Heart of Water Jewels. I see that as 4 petal prongs holding a gem with scrolls on the side. To me the rings look very similar. I know copying goes on large scale and that is sad! The 1st and 3rd pics are JuliaBJewelry's lotus and the 2nd and 4th are HeartofWater's. I have never seen a lotus ring before Heart of Water's lotuses and that was years ago.

Note: The picture of JuliaBJewelry's ring with the diamond on the side is of her Tulip setting. She has Lotus settings with 4 large petals and 4 small ones without diamonds in the petals like the picture in this post.

Added: Freke, your spinel really is stunning and it is going to look fabulous on you in any of those settings. I think it would look awesome in platinum or white gold with rose gold accents. "

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
ilovegemstones|1385072678|3560899 said:
I have started a separate thread because this deserves it's own thread. Any ugliness, you have brought on Frekechild with sarcasm and maliciousness as shown here, "Velouria, since HoW settings have been brought up, I am not a fan of them either. I've actually played with one before and it did not feel substantial to me at all. I felt like I could crush the shank if I grabbed something too hard while wearing it because it was just that thin. So yes, pretty to look at, but not practical to wear." I tried to be nice over and over and bring it back to your spinel and you always responded with sarcasm.

Yes, flower rings have been around forever but not the lotus design. Please show me a lotus design like hers from before 2008 and I will reconsider, but everything I have seen posted here has come after.
It is stupid to continue, because I feel like I'm feeding a troll, but the above was my experience with a piece of jewelry. It is MY OPINION after handling a HoW lotus ring MYSELF. It has absolutely nothing to do with you. I don't care if you own 1 lotus ring or a million. I don't care if the Queen of England owns a million of them. It doesn't change the above, which is my opinion.

You owning a ring has nothing to do with me or my opinion on said ring. And guess what? I'm allowed to my opinion.

I'm not going to reply to you anymore.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Cue cute animals and some levity...

_12118.jpg

flamewar.jpg

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are allowed your opinion, Freke, as I am mine. The problem is that your tone and wording is very combative and sarcastic even after I remained positive and kept bringing it back to your spinel.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
stop.
you are entitled to your opinion, but IF you chose to express it you CAN be more sensitive to the forum.
Saying something negative and then trying to bring it back to the discussion of the OP as though all is good is kinda "mean girls";
makes me think of a psychopath torturing a victim but holding its hand, caressing it and softly reassuring it all the while plunging a knife in.
let it go and let's move on.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
It puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ilovegemstones|1385072678|3560899 said:

ILG: I vehemently disagree with your interpretation and ask that you suspend your assumptions long enough to look at what Freke wrote (your quoted section above) and instead ascribe good intentions. What I see is an honest opinion - a review. What possibly could be interpreted as sarcastic?!! I read it as her experience, likely based on wearing someone else's jewelry at some PS GTG or other. She is saying that she worries about the thinness of the shank and the likelihood it could bend out of shape if she gripped something hard while wearing it - what is sarcastic about that? From someone who has been observing this thread, it does seem like it sadly is no longer about Freke's lovely stone. You also might be interested to know that you come across as angry - whether you mean to or not.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Minous the part I quoted by Frekechild was not meant to point out sarcasm, but maliciousness, specifically the part about feeling like she could crush the ring shank. The sarcasm I was referring to was earlier on - the Stuller copying HOW comment she made and this:

FrekeChild|1384907697|3559572 said:
ilovegemstones|1384906827|3559566 said:
This thread isn't about HoW or any lotus rings, now is it?

I did not mean to come across as angry in my posts, which is why I included all the smileys. I am not an angry type of person. This thread is over now and I will be much more careful not to threadjack in the future. That was not my intention.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results