shape
carat
color
clarity

Please school me on Antique cushions-branded and non-branded

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Ok so I need help...I've looked at Charmy's cushion thread and have searched through a gazillion threads to compare, but I would love to hear from the Antque Cushion pros out there!

In the spring I am going to be building a RHR. It is going to be Tiffany Soleste - esque. Still debating single or double halo...depends on center stone size, but I digress...

Here's the thing...here are my options as I see it currently. Budget is $10K.

1. Run project through ERD - stone and setting. I already got a quote from Mark and it is reasonable and I enjoy talking to him.

2. Buy AVC from GOG, get setting from ERD.

3. Run project through VIctor Canera. I already got a rough idea for my budget.

So in the case of going through ERD or Victor, I would consider their branded cushions or un-branded cushions. But here's my thing...what's the difference? Obviously the branded have better symmetry in my opinion. I seem to notice the maltese cross on most branded. Are their any branded cushions - ERD, Victor, GOG that don't have that? Or ones that look more like chunky facets like an antique but with no maltese. I haven't seen one in person yet but for some reason my eye draws to the maltese and I am not sure if I like it or not. Anyways, advice, thoughts? Which option would you choose? Sorry I'm so scattered....

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Re: Please school me on Antique cushions-branded and non-bra

My AC has a strong maltese cross. Really it all comes down to preference. To me the branded cushions just look generic, very vanilla to me in flavor. The true antique cushions have so much more depth and character when I look at them in person. While the AVC/AVR's, CVC etc are all pretty then fall pretty short to me compared to the real thing. Once again all preference though. I think you definitely need to get out there and see some in person to know what appeals most to you.
There really isn't a right or wrong answer. It i just what you like.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you can, I'd suggest having one of them shipped to you for you to see before committing. I did that with my AVC's, and found that I really like them, but I found my eye liked a more square shape vs rectangular. I know from experience GOG has very easy returns, so that may be an option for you if there is a stone there you like. I don't know much about return policies at the other vendors.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just require a symmetrical, well cut stone whether it is new or 100 years old. If I went for newly cut, I'd go with one that had Ideal light performance, and I think that limits you to GOG and VC. Brand has nothing to do with it. You really have to decide between antique stones, newly cut but not cut to have excellent light performance, and those that are newly cut with ideal light performance. You just have to search a lot harder for the outstanding cut antique stones.

The stones that I have personally seen are the AVC's from GOG, and they were gorgeous. I went with an AVR which is my first love, but if I ever have the money, I'd love to have a cushion, too!

I strongly prefer a single halo, as double halos look more like cocktail rings than engagement rings to me. I think the single halo will also go better with an antique or antique style cushion. Put as much money into the diamond as possible and less into the setting with a budget of $10k.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock

SB621|1384276052|3555196 said:
My AC has a strong maltese cross. Really it all comes down to preference. To me the branded cushions just look generic, very vanilla to me in flavor. The true antique cushions have so much more depth and character when I look at them in person. While the AVC/AVR's, CVC etc are all pretty then fall pretty short to me compared to the real thing. Once again all preference though. I think you definitely need to get out there and see some in person to know what appeals most to you.

SB, thanks for posting. I think the only way for me to see one in person is to head over to GOG when I can. It's a couple hour drive though, so I want to go there when I am ready to buy if something strikes my eye. It's funny because I kept watching your video of your Venice stone (absolutely gorgeous btw) over and over and your maltese cross wasn't so glaring to me. I'm wondering if the still shots of the AVC's etc are what really calls attention to them? I think once in movement it won't be as noticeable to my eye. Do all antique/OMC's/branded chunky cushions have maltese cross? How did you like working with Old World? Did you give them a set of parameters and let them find you some options? Or did you just keep reviewing their site? It looks like a lot don't have pics online.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock

ecf8503|1384282791|3555283 said:
If you can, I'd suggest having one of them shipped to you for you to see before committing. I did that with my AVC's, and found that I really like them, but I found my eye liked a more square shape vs rectangular. I know from experience GOG has very easy returns, so that may be an option for you if there is a stone there you like. I don't know much about return policies at the other vendors.

This actually is a nice idea! I think I want an almost square but slightly elongated type look. My eye doesn't much like the overly skinny rectangular ones. I wish GOG was closer!!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1384288727|3555360 said:
I just require a symmetrical, well cut stone whether it is new or 100 years old. If I went for newly cut, I'd go with one that had Ideal light performance, and I think that limits you to GOG and VC. Brand has nothing to do with it. You really have to decide between antique stones, newly cut but not cut to have excellent light performance, and those that are newly cut with ideal light performance. You just have to search a lot harder for the outstanding cut antique stones.

The stones that I have personally seen are the AVC's from GOG, and they were gorgeous. I went with an AVR which is my first love, but if I ever have the money, I'd love to have a cushion, too!

I strongly prefer a single halo, as double halos look more like cocktail rings than engagement rings to me. I think the single halo will also go better with an antique or antique style cushion. Put as much money into the diamond as possible and less into the setting with a budget of $10k.

DS, always the voice of reason! Honestly, I love the faceting structure of OEC's/AVR's but I want the cushion shape. For some reason, I'm stuck on the maltese cross (like a broken record). I need to go and see them in person. I think though that I only notice it in pictures because they are still. When I look at videos I don't notice them or should I say...my eye isn't drawn to them.

This is for a RHR, not engagement ring, but it is something I want to wear daily so I understand your point about double vs.single halo. I got a quote from Steven Kirsch but going that route is going to leave me next to nothing for my stone. Victor said my budget is doable to go his route, but I am feeling more and more like I don't need to have a setting that costs that much. It is a RHR, not my main engagement ring you know? Also, I know that Mark at ERD has his own line of branded chunky cushions that I want to look into as well so I'm sure that we could work a deal for stone and setting if I went that route. I'm kind of afraid of sourcing a true antique stone as I am not that confident in myself to pick out a keeper which is why I lean towards a branded stone. But there are some good buys out there when I check out Old World's site.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you like chunky antique style cushions you can buy top cut new olden style ones from the three vendors you have mentioned, all three have beautiful stones. I like Victors the best out of the three but that is personal preference, GOG have ones with a range of specs, many of them are outstanding stones too.

Jewels by Erica Grace and Old World Diamonds also have some killer genuine antique cushions from time to time as well. The main thing if you love a big maltese cross is to make sure that it goes on/off as you move the diamond around so the middle parts scintillates well too. I have seen genuine Antique cushions that have a maltese cross that stays dark all the time this is because they were not that well cut and its not an appealing look at all. The best thing to do is go and look at a heap of them that way you will learn which types you prefer, which shape, (square versus rectangular) how chunky cut you like them and if you like a bigger or a smaller table area in the middle.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

lizzyann|1384310178|3555572 said:
SB621|1384276052|3555196 said:

SB, thanks for posting. I think the only way for me to see one in person is to head over to GOG when I can. It's a couple hour drive though, so I want to go there when I am ready to buy if something strikes my eye. It's funny because I kept watching your video of your Venice stone (absolutely gorgeous btw) over and over and your maltese cross wasn't so glaring to me. I'm wondering if the still shots of the AVC's etc are what really calls attention to them? I think once in movement it won't be as noticeable to my eye. Do all antique/OMC's/branded chunky cushions have maltese cross? How did you like working with Old World? Did you give them a set of parameters and let them find you some options? Or did you just keep reviewing their site? It looks like a lot don't have pics online.

Thanks Lizzy. A strong MC was pretty much top of my list along with a pillowy shape when I was shopping for my AC. In general, and this was just me personally, I felt most AC's don't photograph well. In the video it doesn't come across as well either. In person she is extrodinary (at least to me ;)) ). I did like working with Adam very much. He really understood what I was looking for. I had been hunting for a few months but when I got green lighted from my DH Adam really found me the perfect stone in a few days. However I have worked with Victor, JbEG, and ERD and they are also all wonderful to work with. I haven't bought from GOG but I have met Jon and he is a sweetie as well. If you head up to NYC I would do GOG, OWD and ERD to look at cushions in one swoop. I think I would also do it sooner rather then later. You don't need to buy that day. I think it will just help you narrow down exactly what you like so that way you will know if you want branded or antique. It also might give you an idea of what vendor you prefer to work with.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results