shape
carat
color
clarity

Bahamas and taxi/carseat question

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
We will be traveling to the Bahamas and staying at Atlantis in December for a work conference for DH. We will be bringing our 3 year old. We don't plan on leaving the resort so there is no need to rent a car. We are wondering how we can safely get our son to the resort in a cab? Are there any transportation options that offer a car seat for getting to and from the hotel? We would prefer not to deal with traveling with one since it's going to be used so very little.

Thoughts? Thanks!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Most ppl don't bring a carseat and just hold the LO on their lap. I'm not aware of any options to rent or borrow one when there.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
SB621|1381342001|3534824 said:
Most ppl don't bring a carseat and just hold the LO on their lap. I'm not aware of any options to rent or borrow one when there.

Thanks. Do you know how long the ride is from the airport to the resort?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
The only way to safely get your son from the airport to the resort is in a car seat. Traveling with a car seat isn't that hard. You check it with your luggage (at no additional charge). I realize that it's just for a back & forth from airport to resort, but if it was me, I'd still bring (and check) a car seat.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I don't know if it's fair to say that "most" people do this. I've vacationed plenty of times with my little ones and I've never held my child on my lap. We have always brought car seats (even when we had to carry two car seats, luggage, and our little ones).

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you. I feel uneasy about having DS in my lap so that is why I was wondering if there was a car service that offered the use of a seat to and from Atlantis since it is visited by a gazillion of families each year.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
orbaya|1381353246|3534917 said:
Thank you. I feel uneasy about having DS in my lap so that is why I was wondering if there was a car service that offered the use of a seat to and from Atlantis since it is visited by a gazillion of families each year.

Anything can be had for a price. Your routine taxi. No. Limo service - Yes (although you need to request this in advance - and perhaps only select Limo service companies will do this). So do some internet searching and calling in advance and arrange what you need - or take your own car seat.

Personally, I have found that renting Limo service for a half day (or day) can be so enjoyable when I can afford it. I have a current financial crunch; but, I'd love to spend a day with Princess Zhanna just be-bopping around doing things using a Limo Service. It is a different experience.

Perry

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock

amc80

Ideal_Rock
It's about a 30 minute drive. Check your travel docs, though, since a lot of packages come with transfers.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
There are no freeways from the airport to Atlantis. My parents lived in Nassau for 3-4 years, and I drove when I was there. There is one main road (one lane each way) that goes around the island, and top speed is about 40mph. I think your 3 year old would be safe in your lap.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1381352613|3534908 said:

I don't know if it's fair to say that "most" people do this. I've vacationed plenty of times with my little ones and I've never held my child on my lap. We have always brought car seats (even when we had to carry two car seats, luggage, and our little ones).

Did I ever at any point say that when you travel anywhere you shouldn't bring your carseat??? Did I ever at any point also insinuate that most people should vacation without them? I don't remember as being quoted that the next time you are on the autobahn you should let your kid sit in your lap as you hit the gas going over 120mph. Good L-rd we are talking about Nassau Bahamas where the speed limit doesn't go above 30miles per hour- there is no highway and the other major road goes over a bridge. It’s less than 10 miles from the freakin’ airport to the hotel and that is being generous. So to answer the OP’s question again. No you don’t need a carseat and no the last time I checked Atlantis didn’t offer them (they do offer cribs and stroller rentals). If you want to bring a carseat then fine, but she specifically asked how to get her son from Point A to Point B.

justginger

Ideal_Rock

Anyone who has travelled a fair bit can assure you that SB is correct - most people do not check car seats or travel with car seats, especially when travelling for long periods of time, which is much more common for other nationalities who receive more than a week or two of annual leave. You may not operate like that, but that means you are in the minority, not that everyone else is mistaken.

Bottom line: it's a judgement call for the OP. If it's too risky for YOU, please bring a car seat. But it is not required by law, and the great majority of people around the world do not travel with their children's car seats (unless they've actively been hiding from me in airports and train stations for years now).

SB621

Ideal_Rock
SB621|1381363898|3535018 said:

Did I ever at any point say that when you travel anywhere you shouldn't bring your carseat??? Did I ever at any point also insinuate that most people should vacation without them? I don't remember as being quoted that the next time you are on the autobahn you should let your kid sit in your lap as you hit the gas going over 120mph. Good L-rd we are talking about Nassau Bahamas where the speed limit doesn't go above 30miles per hour- there is no highway and the other major road goes over a bridge. It’s less than 10 miles from the freakin’ airport to the hotel and that is being generous. So to answer the OP’s question again. No you don’t need a carseat and no the last time I checked Atlantis didn’t offer them (they do offer cribs and stroller rentals). If you want to bring a carseat then fine, but she specifically asked how to get her son from Point A to Point B.

Well on that note MH I will say I'm sorry if I came off rather rude. I'm having a night where I feel I comment on something and ppl miss the point and go off into left field.

Ginger I agree. From my experience when traveling in America ppl bring carseats if they plan on moving around. However when we go international to places like beach resort I just don't see the point.

OP if you are really concerned about safety but dont want to bring a carseat then use the shuttle/ bus service. It leaves the airport every 30 minutes -an hour. As already mentioned it is not illegal to have kids sit on your lap in taxi's or buses. Perhaps this is a good meet in the middle for you.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This may be a stupid question (freely admitting that I have no children), but can you install a car seat in ANY car? Are they completely interchangeable or is there a chance you would get there and the child seat wouldn't somehow fit into the taxi seat properly?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just for context, I'm generally a ridiculously safety-conscious mother (like, once, during a long drive with no way to pull over and stop the car when one of the straps came loose, I contorted myself to hold it wrapped around my wrist for tension: came away with a black-and-blue mark in the shape of a buckle, but peace of mind).

When I had an emergency and no carseat, though, I remembered something my (Swedish, also very safety-conscious) sister-in-law had mentioned: apparently buckling yourself in and then putting the kiddo in his or her Ergo/Bjorn/carrier facing you can provide an alternative. It's not perfect, it's considerably less safe than a proper carseat ... but if you're say, rushing to a doctor for a medical emergency, don't have a car-seat handy, and can't get a car service there in time, it is apparently better than nothing.

Under the driving conditions you guys are describing there ... perhaps this might be worth researching? I don't know if she's right or not, but the basic physics seemed to support what she was saying ... so while I'm not encouraging it, I figure it can't hurt to put it out there.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay said:
This may be a stupid question (freely admitting that I have no children), but can you install a car seat in ANY car? Are they completely interchangeable or is there a chance you would get there and the child seat wouldn't somehow fit into the taxi seat properly?

Pretty much. As long as the taxi has seat belts.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1381368635|3535070 said:
Dee*Jay said:

Pretty much. As long as the taxi has seat belts.

Thank you amc, I really didn't know and was interested to find out.

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
I'm quite familiar with Atlantis. As most resorts you can rent basic carseats/strollers for $15 a day. Have them pick you up from the airport with the car seat attached. I never travel with carseats/strollers, those things can break your back and bring all kinds of bugs home =)

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
How big is your child? See if he is big enough to buy one of those little boosters that make him tall enough to use the normal seat belt. They are small enough to not be too much of an encumbrance. The important thing is that the lap part goes over the pelvis, not the squishy organs, and that the diagonal part goes over the shoulder and breastbone, not the squishy neck.

I understand the hassle of traveling with a young one and all the extra things they need. I have always brought a carseat on our trips, one that can be fitted with the latch system or seatbelt. There are always plenty of parents waiting with me at the oversized luggage belt for their carseats.
It is the safest way for a little one to ride in a car. An ill-secured child turns into a projectile in a crash.

slksapphire

Shiny_Rock
if your child is: weight: 40 - 100 lbs, height: up to 57", i would strongly suggest you check out the bubble bum booster seat.

http://www.bubblebum.co/us/

i know the lower age limit is 4 but if your child is close to the weight limit, i strongly believe it is much better than nothing. the bubble bum is a faa/ntsb approved, inflatable booster seat that weighs close to nothing and can slip in your purse when deflated.

my intent is NOT to start a debate about using carseats when traveling, but I always use them for all 3 of my kids every single time. fwiw, i live in asia and we travel extensively (like to more than 5 countries per year). the only exception is when we take a bus. you could see if there are buses to atlantis from the airport.

the reason i do this is because my brother-in-law is a plastic surgeon, and when he was doing his training and worked ER shifts, the vast majority of calls he got were car accidents and specifically, taxi accidents. and while fatal accidents are much less likely at lower speeds, injuries can still be pretty bad if you are not belted in.

we all make decisions by assessing risk. in this case, the likelihood of getting in any accident is probably quite low. but IF you are in that small %, the result can be pretty bad. so make the best decision you are comfortable with.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

A simple disagreement of your opinion is not a personal attack, so there's no need to get defensive. You shared your opinion and I shared mine - it's not an argument, it's just a discussion amongst parents. I don't know why some people have difficulty with understanding that on forums? I can respect your opinion, I just don't happen to agree with it. No harm done:)
I stick with my original opinion in that the only safe way to travel by car with baby/toddler is with a car seat. If toddlers/babies were considered "safe" in vehicles without car seats, then there wouldn't be laws regulating their use in some places. If a parent feels comfortable holding a child on their lap where the law does not require a car seat, then that's their choice (and the OP has mentioned that it's not something that she feels comfortable with). This isn't about variables like speed, distance, etc. It's about safely getting a child from point A to point B. I was in a car accident once in a long, winding driveway, where the vehicles were traveling at very slow rates of speed. It was a head-on collision and resulted in some fairly painful injuries to my neck & back (I was in a small car and was hit by a large van). Every parent makes choices that are best for them and their families. If OP wants to travel without a car seat, that's her choice. I was simply sharing my point of view , which is that it is easy to check a car seat (for free) and safely travel with your little ones.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

double post

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

Triple post - sorry! That's a first!!! I don't know how it happened?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
justginger|1381364115|3535024 said:

Anyone who has travelled a fair bit can assure you that SB is correct - most people do not check car seats or travel with car seats, especially when travelling for long periods of time, which is much more common for other nationalities who receive more than a week or two of annual leave. You may not operate like that, but that means you are in the minority, not that everyone else is mistaken.

Bottom line: it's a judgement call for the OP. If it's too risky for YOU, please bring a car seat. But it is not required by law, and the great majority of people around the world do not travel with their children's car seats (unless they've actively been hiding from me in airports and train stations for years now).

We actually do travel by a fair bit (several times per year). My experience is that I see car seats being checked as luggage all the time. Maybe my experience of thinking that many people travel with car seats is no more accurate than saying that most don't? I guess that I was just going by my personal observations.
I agree with you though - this comes down to a judgement call.

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
Sadly, most taxis don't have seat belts and if you take a shuttle from the airport to the hotel, they don't have seat belts either. Water taxi [not to be confused with water taxi 'tour'] might take longer but a much better choice. Have fun :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results