shape
carat
color
clarity

If money were no object, what would the stats be on e-ring?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: If money were no object, what would the stats be on e-ri

jaysonsmom|1375995834|3499217 said:
I think the title of my thread is worded badly, because not everyone is getting my point....I'm not really talking about a DREAM ring. If money were not an object, my DREAM ring would probably be a honking 5+ carat emerald cut in flawless and colorless, but that's not practical realistic as an e-ring or to wear everywhere 24/7.

I'm talking about THE e-ring that you'd wear every day, 24/7 for life, and you could never get alternate rings earings, pendants etc.
what stats would make you completely satisfied, and never yearn for anything else?

You do realize that you have just questioned one of the sacred tenets of The Pricescope Belief System, do you not? Namely that there is a force called DSS and that it is very powerful and affects most members.

If one could ever "be completely satisfied and never yearn for anything else" it would mean that there was no such thing as DSS. You may as well question Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy out in the real world.

Deb
:saint:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think the title of my thread is worded badly, because not everyone is getting my point....I'm not really talking about a DREAM ring. If money were not an object, my DREAM ring would probably be a honking 5+ carat emerald cut in flawless and colorless, but that's not practical realistic as an e-ring or to wear everywhere 24/7.

I'm talking about THE e-ring that you'd wear every day, 24/7 for life, and you could never get alternate rings earings, pendants etc.
what stats would make you completely satisfied, and never yearn for anything else?

I wasn't joking I would rock that 8.70 carat sucker to the supermarket and back again, boring life and screaming 5 year old be damned!!! And I don't think I could have ONE e-ring that would make me completely satisfied. I get bored easily and buy and sell things. Diamonds are expendable, all it would mean is a bigger budget to work with and many more choices to have fun with!!!

D

Deactivated member 42515

Me too. I seriously would rock a 10ct+ for everyday if I had the money.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

So sounds like we need to make it until the little ones are 10ish. Loooooooooong tunnel. :)

(BTW, much better day here, lots of fun playing at the beach and even an unprompted "I love you more than the whole wide world and all the dinosaurs, mommy!" from yesterday's mischief maker. Melts my heart!)

And I would absolutely wear the 4ct cushion every day. (I would still long for other pieces though! Dying to have a spectacular blue sapphire RHR...)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

AGBF|1376000781|3499286 said:

You do realize that you have just questioned one of the sacred tenets of The Pricescope Belief System, do you not? Namely that there is a force called DSS and that it is very powerful and affects most members.

If one could ever "be completely satisfied and never yearn for anything else" it would mean that there was no such thing as DSS. You may as well question Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy out in the real world.

Deb

Well said Deb :lol:

My response is the same. I would wear a 10mm cushion in a halo all the time. Everyone would think it was fake anyways, so why now wear it?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Impossible. I'm an earring person. I'd rather keep the ring I have now and have kick-ass earrings. Or even a plain silver wedding band. Earrings are far more important to me. But if I get to keep the earrings then I still say what I said earlier, 7.5 - 8mm OEC in low to the finger filigree setting, not a solitaire, and probably with sapphires or emeralds.

Even then I'd yearn for the earrings. I tried on the best earrings the other day! 3.52 and 3.54 carat cushion old mine cut, VS1 and VS2, M colour in their original platinum scroll settings. Now those would make me never want another pair of earrings! I honestly don't think I've ever felt the way about a ring that I do about earrings. Why put all the bling on your finger where it gets knocked about? Earrings are so much more practical - especially when they total over 7 carats, baby!

ETA: at that size I'm not sure they would fit down the plug hole in the shower so I really could wear them 24/7. Win-win!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Dreamer_D|1375981412|3499046 said:
yennyfire|1375970532|3498948 said:
SB621|1375962691|3498891 said:
yennyfire|1375961447|3498882 said:
Hmmm, I'd be torn between an I/J 3ct. OEC with gorgeous faceting to replace the center stone in my current 3 stone ring and a 5 ct. emerald cut with clipped corners and beautiful steps, set in a setting like asscher girls.....

I have news for you ladies with little ones....mine are 6 & 8 and a trip to the grocery store without them is STILL heaven!!

Yenny don't say that! I need a light at the end of the tunnel right now!!!

Well no big winner! On to next week!

Sorry to burst your bubble SB.... ;-)

Noooooooooo!! :o Don't do that to us Yenny! Let us live in fantasy ::)

You know what they say Dreamer...misery loves company :lol: ...a friend of mine with teens told me recently that it only gets worse as they get older, because the problems become larger/more significant. I am truly terrified of what the future holds in that regard. My DH got annoyed tonight when our 8 year old wanted me to give him a piggy back ride to bed (he DOES weigh 71 lbs.) and I said (to DH) that I'd give our son a piggy back ride as long as he wanted one, because the day will come (sooner than I'd like, I'm sure!) when he will no longer want one. My point is that there are some days when I long for things like potty training and tantrums instead of having to explain why A. Rod is in trouble and why someone my son looked up to would do something illegal.....it was a teachable moment about peer pressure however.... :errrr:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

I would get bigger AVC's and keep the same setting, same engraved wedding band, but would add the SS French cut baguette band w/it. Not sure about stat's on the AVC's. Mine are .48/.71/.48 soooo maybe a full carat center and .7-ish for the sides? I'd stay w/my L/M color too, I really love it.

RHR's, now...I'd do Coati's three stone w/AVR's, a JM solitaire and a nice sized band of pears.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

yennyfire|1376006252|3499336 said:
My point is that there are some days when I long for things like potty training and tantrums instead of having to explain why A. Rod is in trouble and why someone my son looked up to would do something illegal.....it was a teachable moment about peer pressure however.... :errrr:

Yes. And your friend is so right about the problems getting bigger. I am very, very lucky that my (crazy) daughter never got involved in drugs or alcohol. The drugs and alcohol stories alone would curl your hair. But bad judgment about men and sex and promiscuity...putting her life at risk with bad decisions in that regard? Yes! And hanging around in the company of scoundrels because she has no judgment...men taking her along when they go to conclude drug deals and or shooting up heroin with her in the car beside them! Committing a crime of which she is unaware when she is in their company. My daughter is especially vulnerable because her judgment is impaired by emotional problems, but many, many teens go through times like this! She is so naïve! She knows nothing.

AGBF
:read:

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hmmmm not sure I could ever find THE ONE... maybe some kind of crazy 2ct Octavia-cut Paraiba asccher with trap sidestones and a matching carre-cut band??? :love: :lol:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I think I more or less have mine according to the amended terms: having played with fakies has taught me that too much over 9mm makes me dislike the proportions on my own hand (something about the width of the stone vs the width of the nail). My anniversary setting is so similar to my original ering that my husband can't tell them apart ... and when I agonized over a reset for a solid year and had the opportunity for a new design, I had the same exact thing made (slightly improved). Color wise, trial and error have taught me that I'm always at the low end of near colorless or the high end of faint yellow, and clarity wise, I think I'm higher than I'd need right now! The only change I'd make would be to get eye-visible fluorescence ... but I'm not quite obsessive enough to get on the merry-go-round for that alone when I can look for a RHR!

So, my (realistic) "dream" is between two and a half and three carats, J-K ish, and in the VS2 neighborhood, with a high crown, smallish table, and LOTs of fire in a fishtail setting!

Now, if we go into "fantasy" territory, I'd be delighted with these specs in an elongated cushion or chunky marquise with WIDTH of 9mm and a length of up to ... 20mm? Don't look at me like that, I have long fingers! Wintotty's recent reset or GeckoLady's gorgeous heirloom both spring to mind ....

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Dreamer_D|1376003351|3499315 said:
AGBF|1376000781|3499286 said:

Deb

Well said Deb :lol:

My response is the same. I would wear a 10mm cushion in a halo all the time. Everyone would think it was fake anyways, so why now wear it?

heheh I wear Venice to the gym, the pool, the grocery store etc. I get some looks but I'm pretty sure everyone thinks she is fake! But I still rock it on a daily basis!

blingymo

Shiny_Rock

kenny|1375905448|3498426 said:
Yssie|1375902140|3498399 said:
kenny|1375901802|3498397 said:
Four carat Fancy Red flawless Octavia in a Steven Kretchmer tension setting.
I'm not sure winning the powerball lottery could pay for it. :lol:

It would have to exist to be paid for!!

True dat!!!
To my knowledge there are no 4 ct Fancy Red diamonds.
None.

Opps, I was wrong...
EDIT: From Wiki: "The Moussaieff Red Diamond (formerly known as the Red Shield Diamond) is a diamond measuring 5.11 carats (1.022 g) with a triangular brilliant cut (sometimes called a trillion or a trilliant cut), rated in color as Fancy Red by the Gemological Institute of America. It is the world's largest known red diamond."

Cutting a 5 ct trillion down to an Octavia would probably result in a 2 ct stone.
Imagine millions of dollars converted to worthless dust on the polishing wheel. ;(

I heard someone in the Middle East has a standing offer for a pure red above some size, maybe it's 2 ct.

Kenny - Have you seen this one? http://geogallery.si.edu/index.php/en/1007278/deyoung-red-diamond
I make a beeline for the Natural History museum any time I am in D.C. (I've lived close my whole life except for about 10 yrs). I have always dreamed about having a stone like this.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

pregcurious|1375936460|3498786 said:
I don't know where to start because of the lack of budget...this blue diamond ring, but with the center stone not exceeding 7 mm across. (The pic is from a ring auctioned at Sotheby's https://www.pricescope.com/blog/sothebys-auction-fancy-vivid-blue-and-pink-diamond-rings)
Yes. I'll take the blue exactly however many mm across it is! Had I never seen this picture months ago -- 5 carat antique asscher -- as high in color/clarity as one exists? (Ideally not over F really)

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

AGBF|1376015790|3499441 said:
yennyfire|1376006252|3499336 said:
My point is that there are some days when I long for things like potty training and tantrums instead of having to explain why A. Rod is in trouble and why someone my son looked up to would do something illegal.....it was a teachable moment about peer pressure however.... :errrr:

Yes. And your friend is so right about the problems getting bigger. I am very, very lucky that my (crazy) daughter never got involved in drugs or alcohol. The drugs and alcohol stories alone would curl your hair. But bad judgment about men and sex and promiscuity...putting her life at risk with bad decisions in that regard? Yes! And hanging around in the company of scoundrels because she has no judgment...men taking her along when they go to conclude drug deals and or shooting up heroin with her in the car beside them! Committing a crime of which she is unaware when she is in their company. My daughter is especially vulnerable because her judgment is impaired by emotional problems, but many, many teens go through times like this! She is so naïve! She knows nothing.

AGBF
:read:

Yikes Deb! That is REALLY scary. My younger sister sounds a lot like your daughter and looking back now, we all realize that she's lucky to be alive (she agrees, btw).

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

A two and a half ct round , F, Vvs with pear sides OR a three ct yellow cushion in a white halo.

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock

mine would probably be this one -- it's 200k+ but who's counting! it's the first I ever tried on (even before my 'actual' e-ring which was a quick vintage estate sale pickup before we secretly eloped). I'm crazy about this one below and the heft and scale of it was just one of those formative moments where I felt lightheaded and giddy and heard bells. I think I'm seriously hooked on emerald cuts now. :Up_to_something:

Emerald-cut diamond and baguette diamonds in white gold, Mauboussin, 091509-bague-400_1.jpg

more realistically i'll perhaps get one of their couleur baseur rings -- i just love the setting so much even though my husband refers to the side stones as missiles,ha. here it is in blue topaz at a mere fraction of the original bague's cost. Also they custom design them-- I was thinking perhaps in a very pale citrine or green amethyst or even a less clear diamond?

i'm new here, so apologies for thinking out loud! I figure the best way to figure out what to get is to back up from what i'd dream of into something more attainable.

imitcan

Shiny_Rock

First the ring then the kids! I'd love a bigger 1.75-2.00 rb with ideal proportions, F color or better and VS2 or better. Mine is pretty awesome except for the very good cut and the just over a carat size. But it's an heirloom on DH's side so...

Now for those off-spring. Mine are generally wonderful teens, but just the other day my son must have been having a testosterone induced seizure of sorts because he was shouting at me over his resentment of being asked to do more of the physical chores than his older sister. He wouldn't let me get a word in edgewise so I left! That's the beauty of them being older-they can be left alone!! I ended up at a fabric store and I don't even sew! When I got back I told him he had 1 chance to make it right or that I would. He apologized.
My grandma raised 5, my brother and SIL, 4 and my MIL, 5 as well. They all say the same: love them and talk to them about everything even when it feels like you are talking AT them.
I do miss my littler ones sometimes.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results