shape
carat
color
clarity

Alternate Day Fasting

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
So the SIL comes to town a while back. She's put on many dress sizes over the past 15 years and is always on some diet or another. I don't usually pay attention overmuch. This time she is going to try alternate day fasting, which is apparently the big thing over in Britain (where she is visiting from).

Okay fine.

Now suddenly I'm reading about it everywhere, and there was a very interesting program on last night about it's benefits, aside from weight loss (which is not really my concern - at this point at least). Cardio, less inflammation, cognitive benefits, and the list goes on.

It kind of got my attention.

Have you heard of this ADF? Feedback?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know some fitness professionals fast now and again, but not often, I'm talking like a day a month or less. To me, fasting every other day is a surefire way to completely ruin your metabolism and put you on the road to unhealthy-ness..is that a word? Metabolic damage is nothing to play with.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Maybe you should read up on it packrat.

You might be surprised.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I doubt it. I've done fad diets and when you stop, most of the time you gain the weight right back plus some. I don't trust diets put out there as the latest and greatest by people who don't have the training to back it up, b/c it's the new "in" thing or whatever.

Layne Norton, Erik Ledin, Joseph Donnelly, Chady Dunmore those are the people I trust.

There're people who have plastic sewn on their tongues to lose weight too, you know?

But, I posted on a women's professional fitness forum and asked about it, so I can learn something.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
It's the Fast Diet, which isn't alternate day fasting - it's fasting for two days a week only. The days can be consecutive or non-consecutive, but it's two days a week and that's all. Fasting alternate days would mean three to four days a week of fasting per week which would be really dangerous.

I know of the Fast Diet because my husband is doing it.

I don't do it. Fasting doesn't suit me. When I want to lose some pounds I eat healthily, cut out all junk (e.g. I just had an ice cream at the neighbourhood pool, which I would have skipped if trying to lose pounds) and do lots of exercise, which works for me.

Here is the website: www.thefastdiet.co.uk...

There is some scientific evidence to suggest that some form of calorie restriction - a safe level, presumably - is beneficial in prolonging longevity, but I have not researched this and do not know about the ins and outs. This is just something I've read, periodically.

Just done a Google search. Here are two conflicting articles on the subject of calorie restriction:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/12/121206142025.htm

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444772804577619394017185860.html

Seems to me it's safer to just eat healthy food, practise portion control and shake your booty! (I know weight loss isn't that simple for many; I didn't mean to suggest that this works for everyone.)

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
My understanding, from this program, and some websites, is that ADF can mean the fast diet, as well. The program was about some of the benefits of fasting (aside from these 'diets'), which go beyond weight loss. In fact, the program didn't deal with weight loss at all, rather the other benefits.

That interests me.

The naturopathic community of my city is very active, and have been touting the benefits of fasting in articles and seminars locally. I've never paid much attention. Until now.

If you look at some of the details of moderate ADF, they are pretty conservative from my uneducated notion of 'fasting'.

It was interesting at any rate.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I fast alternate nights. ;-)

Actually I fast every night. :lol:

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I'm on this: 5/2 diet.

Still evaluating...how to do the fast days, too. Supposed to include 5 - 600 calories. Have been on a couple of months. Have lost some weight.

Ira z.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've read a little about it but not enough to say that I do or don't like it.

A woman in a different forum I'm on is doing this and claims to be having good success. She does 5 days per week of staying in her normal calorie range then two days (she does non-consecutive) per week of 500 calories (spread over a couple of meals).

It sounds like it may be a good option for some people but I don't think I would do something like this without talking with my doctor about the specifics first.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results