shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm getting bigger!!??

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Hey. Kind of a fluff topic, but wth...

I'm pretty skinny, and always have been (except pregnancy and maybe 18 months beyond).

I'm getting bigger. Butt, thighs and upper arms.

Now it could be perimenopause, or I'm wondering if it's the water exercise class I'm going to every morning.

I've never been a traditional exercise gal, like going to the gym. I just have always used life to work out ie walking, yoga, and a crapload of gardening (I'm in the hort/golf course industry). That's always done the trick, but lately I've added this, and now I'm getting bigger.

I don't have a scale, and will test drive one at the store sooner or later, but I was hoping some folks who know more about muscle mass, and exercise could 'weigh in' on this :lol:

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As another skinny woman, I always know if I'm gaining muscle or fat. If it is muscle, you're reaping the fruits of your class.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I'm just hoping that it is muscle. It feels like it, but...

I keep hearing about the dreaded peri/menopausal weight gain, and most of my sister friends are, well, getting bigger because of it.

Will a scale tell me what I need to know? Won't muscle have weight just like fat? The thing is, eve my fingers are bigger. Not with plumpness, but they just feel bigger. Must be putting on bone?

Are water exercises that much different from land-based ones?

I really push myself in that pool...so maybe...

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom (mid 50s) and her sister (mid 40s) definitely gain muscle from their various exercise classes. The yoga butt is a real thing. Fatter fingers... water retention??

You need a scale that measures fat. Muscle is more dense than fat --> if you gain an inch measurement of muscle, you will weigh more than an inch measurement of fat.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I will say right around the time I hit 26/27 my metabolism slowed wayyyyyy down. Before I could eat almost whatever and not really worry about putting on weight. Working out was easier. Then I noticed it slowed down and weight went on more quickly while excersise got harder. It should however be pretty often if you are gaining weight/fat or weight/ muscle just by how you are fitting into clothes, muscle tone etc. In general I wouldn't worry about the scale because muscle weight weighs more then fat weight.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, I'm totally the expert. :bigsmile: I worked out for about four years (intensely) and was doing good and then slacked off and suddenly turned 40 and gained 10 lbs, none of my jeans fit, and I decided to investigate what was going on and how to fix it all with exercise...

The deal with muscle mass is that if you're working out with WEIGHTS, you will build muscle but the amount of space muscle takes up, per pound, is less than fat, so basically, you know if you're headed in the right direction if your clothes start to fit better (because you're burning off fat and building up muscle). The scale might not even show a drastic change at first and that is because of the balance of weight between muscle and fat (as you loose fat, gain muscle) cannot be expressed on a regular scale, but over time, it is most easily seen in clothing sizes and/or how everything fits on you.

I'm not sure how old you are...30? 40? I had read that a woman can lift weights 3 times per week for an hour and go down a pant size in 10 weeks w/out change in diet. I tried it. The first month I lost maybe three pounds, then it took two more months (so 12-14 weeks total) to go down, but instead of one size, I went down two sizes and fit into size 2 jeans! My butt actually did get bigger, though, because I was doing squats and those perked up my buns/hamstrings so there was vast improvement.

I am just finding I have places the fat likes to collect - my arms, especially, and so regardless of the amount of muscle I put on, the only way to get rid of the other stuff that I don't want is to reduce carbs, which I was hoping not to do...so it's a matter of picking what is more important. That part I haven't wanted to deal with, but I do see how the weight lifting helped b/c I've taken a summer break and can see how nothing is exactly as firm...

Now, with your water classes, are you using weights? If not, then, you may want to look for a class that incorporates weights because you'll burn calories, build muscle and more muscle DOES increase your metabolism...that will result in reduction in size, increase in toned arms and you can eat a bit more b/c muscles need to be feed.

Basically all my babbling here...if you're building muscle, you should find that your size goes down but it can take a couple of months before one size down, depending upon your weight. A scale will just drive you crazy b/c your weight can fluctuate depending upon if you're dehydrated or various other influences.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Folks, I sure appreciate your feedback on this, cuz yes, it is bothering me.

I'm 47.

This is a time of physical changes for me on so many levels that it is nice to know what I'm dealing with ya know? If it is weight gain, I won't fret, but I will take measures to try to make sure it doesn't become a problem.

It is starting to sound like weight gain (I don't own a scale, but might not tell me much anyway), with some muscle build up.

Everything feels firmer and you can see the muscles. Mind you, they are very obvious on me as I am an ectomorph (maybe not for much longer? :lol: ). My butt has changed shape. I used to be called flat ass, and now it has an obvious roundness to it. The pants are tighter in the thighs and butt region.

What about if you didn't have much fat to burn off in the first place? Would the sudden increase in muscle build girth then? I would imagine so, logically.

My fingers and forearms look bigger. Water retention aside (which happens only very occasionally), I am very lean in those areas still, but the bones are bigger.

Man, what a burn. I've got some dandy skinny jeans and they is a gettin' tight. Will the joys of menopause never cease?

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Let your body tell you. Take some time to reflect on your clothing fit, and your look in a mirror. Does it look like you are gaining flab? Gaining muscle is a good thing, and you might see some reflection in how your clothes fit BUT you should not feel uncomfortable or bloated.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Flex, is it soft or firm? Is there a cushion of fat on top of the muscle or not? From what you are describing so far, it doesn't seem as though you have gained fat.

Working out can increase the appetite though. Have you been eating more since you've started water aerobics? If so, is it clean eating?

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
Begonia|1375854387|3498097 said:
Folks, I sure appreciate your feedback on this, cuz yes, it is bothering me.

I'm 47.

This is a time of physical changes for me on so many levels that it is nice to know what I'm dealing with ya know? If it is weight gain, I won't fret, but I will take measures to try to make sure it doesn't become a problem.

It is starting to sound like weight gain (I don't own a scale, but might not tell me much anyway), with some muscle build up.

Everything feels firmer and you can see the muscles. Mind you, they are very obvious on me as I am an ectomorph (maybe not for much longer? :lol: ). My butt has changed shape. I used to be called flat a$$, and now it has an obvious roundness to it. The pants are tighter in the thighs and butt region.

What about if you didn't have much fat to burn off in the first place? Would the sudden increase in muscle build girth then? I would imagine so, logically.

My fingers and forearms look bigger. Water retention aside (which happens only very occasionally), I am very lean in those areas still, but the bones are bigger.

Man, what a burn. I've got some dandy skinny jeans and they is a gettin' tight. Will the joys of menopause never cease?

sounds like you're gaining muscle to me! water aerobics usually means reistance training (using the water) which acts as your weights...it is very likely if you were thin prior to, that you'd gain "girth" in your thighs, butt, etc...

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I read a study a few years back that said swimmers have more body fat than other athletes. The theory is the body creates a little layer to keep warm in the water.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
It's actually pretty hard to gain muscle mass as a female. It takes a lot of heavy weight lifting and eating enough proteins.

Did you just recently started the class? It could be water retention from exercising.

And you are right 1 lb is 1 lb, no matter what the substance is. So a regular scale can't distinguish between fat and muscle. A scale that also measure body fat % would be helpful, but you don't have a base number from before you started the class.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
scales that purport to measure body fat are notoriously off. Agree w/qtiekiki, it's hard for women to put on muscle, w/out the use of pharmaceuticals. It takes years, and serious weight training and protein/calories for women to add a significant amount of muscle mass. We're not designed that way. You could be replacing some fat w/some muscle, you could be retaining water. Your weight can fluctuate I believe up to 10# b/c of water, where you're at in your cycle etc-that's why most true fitness professionals will tell you to ignore the scale and just pay attention to how you look in the mirror, how your clothes fit, and to take measurements.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1375850790|3498063 said:
I will say right around the time I hit 26/27 my metabolism slowed wayyyyyy down. Before I could eat almost whatever and not really worry about putting on weight. Working out was easier. Then I noticed it slowed down and weight went on more quickly while excersise got harder. It should however be pretty often if you are gaining weight/fat or weight/ muscle just by how you are fitting into clothes, muscle tone etc. In general I wouldn't worry about the scale because muscle weight weighs more then fat weight.

Ditto this - exactly same age! I even went to the doc for answers. Poor bloke just looked at me like I was nuts and said this happens to most women. You won't be a whippet forvever - now you actually have to work at it!!! :blackeye:

Sounds like muscle gain but if in doubt go to your doc and maybe get some thyroid tests? :confused:

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
HotPozzum|1376019541|3499495 said:
SB621|1375850790|3498063 said:

Ditto this - exactly same age! I even went to the doc for answers. Poor bloke just looked at me like I was nuts and said this happens to most women. You won't be a whippet forvever - now you actually have to work at it!!! [/b]:blackeye:

Sounds like muscle gain but if in doubt go to your doc and maybe get some thyroid tests? :confused:

I've always known about and responded to the decreasing rate of my metabolism, and I hear ya SB about exercise being more difficult (and and being more tired) as one gets older.

Being healthy has always been a priority for me, just not in the gym. My lifestyle is extremely active and always has been. It's not something I'll pick up now that my body has changed shape slightly. I don't actually consider it 'working at it', rather maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

The change is shape was very sudden, and corresponded exactly with the waterfit classes (which I am doing 5 days a week).

It's all good here. I sense a subtle shift in the posting, and don't want this to head into a big discussion about weight. I was just wondering if any fitness experts could give me some info about water-based exercises and muscle mass and they have! :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results