shape
carat
color
clarity

D''Vatche - X Prong Setting vs. NEW Royal X Prong

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

esqknight

Rough_Rock
Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anyone had seen or knows anything about the differences between the D''Vatche x prong setting and the new Royal X Prong setting shown on their website catalogue (http://www.dvatche.com/eclipse/new_catalouge1.htm). The pictures look a little different, it is hard to tell with pictures of only two views.

Whiteflash is showing the new X Prong w/Channel but not the Royal X Prong.

Any insight or information would be appreciated.

Later,
Eric

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
the royal crown really does look like a crown

vatcheroyalcrown.gif

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
here is the beautiful x prong

xprong vatche.gif

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
and here is the new royal x prong

vatcheroyalxprong.jpg

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
forgive me if I''m wrong but it looks like the Royal x prong has a similar band to the crown, similar transitions to the prong setting as the crown but has the side profile of the x prong...

esqknight

Rough_Rock
I was looking at x prong setting the royal crown setting and the royal x prong setting. The royal x prong is described as " X Prong with tapered shank". What part of the ring is the "shank"?

Eric

njc

Brilliant_Rock
The shank is the sides of the ring. So by saying tapered, one end of tha band is thinner than the other. Example: its thinner right next to the diamond than the part of the band that is on the palm-side of the finger (underside).

This may just be another way of saying what FountainFairfax said, but it appears that the royal x-prong is the x-prong head (where the diamond sits) with the band of the royal crown. It is also set at a height that is between the x-prong and royal crown.

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
The effect of blending the styles is quite nice, I think. The slimmer, tapered Royal Crown band makes the new Royal x-prong look more feminine and more elegant. And the higher set head makes it look less sort of squashed.

The orginal x-prong did look a bit broad and clumpy compared to the Royal crown. I've never like the bar across the diamond that you get with the x-prong. I have a version of the x-prong (not from DVatche) without the bar and it looks much better. I guess it's there for strength?

Personally, I prefer the overall look of the Royal crown, but the head's too high for my taste. If they lowered the head to a medium position, I'd be much happier.

esqknight

Rough_Rock
Who makes your version of the x prong? Do you have a picture? I''m not committed to buying from Vatche, but like the basic x prong design and would happy to find alternatives of similar design.

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
To be honest, I have no idea who made it. I bought it second hand from a girl on another forum some time ago. Sorry.

I''m sure there are quite a few jewellers out there though who would make you something similar, especially as you don''t actually want a straight copy of the original but something inspired by it. No ethical problems there that I can see. I''ve seen a lot of generic rings around that were similar, if not exactly the same as the x-prong. It seems to be becoming an accepted style like the Tiffany 6 or 4 prong setting.

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
I couldn't find a pic of the single stone ring I have, but I did find a pic of a QVC ring I bought which is a sterling silver 3 stone x-prong which doesn't have the bars across. You can see the stones much better without the bars, but I don't know how safe a setting this would be for a diamond. Maybe if the prongs themselves were thicker it would be OK.

Edited to say - Sorry, I just realised that this was a pic of the 5 stone ring I had which did have the bars and which I returned - d'oh
40.gif

I'll see if I can find a pic of the 3 stone one.

SS Weave Xprong 5stone.jpg

esqknight

Rough_Rock
I''d appreciate that or if anyone else knows of another designer that makes a similar ring/setting.

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have pictures but i think Scott Kay makes a somewhat similar setting to the x-prong.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You will find a ton of X-prong look alikes under the name "Lucida-style" or simply "Lucida" setting. The name reffers to the crossed prongs under the stone - Vatche''s model is just a better known and branded version of the breed.

There are generic versions any jeweler can source off catalogs for you. Custom is probably quite safe as well by now, with so many versions around.

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
here''s Blue Nile''s version (I''m still lusting for the standard x-prong solitaire and the matching pave 1/2 eternity band shown on Whiteflash)

blueniletrellisplat.jpg

esqknight

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for all the suggestions. I may or may not go with the Vatche x prong, but it nice to know there are other options out there. Vatche might be a little more convinent for me, since I live in NYC where they have their offices.

Later,
Eric

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Just out of interest, here''s the pic of the truffle setting without the bars.

truffle ring1.JPG

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
And a gold solitaire with the bar (higher set)

x-prong side.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results