shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying jewelry from ebay?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your set it gorgeous and it was a STEAL OF A DEAL!!! Your DH supports you in your purchase, your BFF *was* on board for a bit... and as you've seen, so many on PS have purchased and sold on preloved! I own SB's DBTY bracelet that I think held her wedding band diamonds - correct me if I'm wrong SB - and it is perfect for me, plus I have a connection to another PSer (which is super cool now that I've actually met the fun loving crazy SB in person!!), but I don't think of it as anything other than beautiful, sparkly and ... MINE! :D

My OEC belonged to someone else at some point (I bought that via Dreamer's help from eBay) and all the little stones in my OEC DBTY bracelet were also eBay finds. I think eBay is a gold mine of treasures, if you can sort thru the dreck to get to the goodies - I love to cruise and see what's out there!

Almost everything in life has a history - whether we are first time owners of something brand new, or we purchase recycled products which are now new on the market, or we buy at second hand outlets. I've got no issues with it - it keeps more money in my pocket so I can fund something else down the line.

Enjoy your rings - they are YOURS!! :bigsmile:

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feb03Bride|1372264629|3472672 said:
Circe|1372262680|3472650 said:
I think your friend sounds judge-y and illogical, frankly. Is she downing her own used purchase in this way? No? Then methinks she might be the sort of person who enjoys spoiling other people's pleasure, for whatever reason - attention, schadenfreude, malice, whatever. Your husband is right: don't listen to her.

Circe-

She's really not. She is someone who is genuinely a good natured person who is genuinely happy for others. Her tone wasn't mean, but insistent that a mid-30's woman not have a used wedding set. So I don't want to focus on my friend, but rather that my set's pre-owned from ebay, and have others bought used from there. 8) But my friend really is a good person. 8)

All my rings are used from vintage and antique shops mostly. My replacement wedding band, which I adore, is from ebay. An eternity ring for about $350!! I too am in my 30s, and I see nothing wrong with a bit of recycling.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I don't have a problem with buying pre-owned jewelry. There is a jewelry consignment shop in my area that has some fabulous stuff. In the past, I've gotten diamond stud earrings, and bracelets from them and I wouldn't hesitate to shop there again. I also wouldn't have a problem shopping for such things on EBay if I researched the seller. I love the idea of recycling jewelry and I wouldn't be bothered by any "history" associated with it.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To answer the initial question, I have absolutely no problems whatsoever wearing pre-owned jewelry. It truly doesn't bother me in the least. As soon as I slip something on my finger, it automatically becomes mine! I don't even think about it. In fact, my current set is about 80 years old, so I'm sure the pieces have quite a bit of history attached to them! Might be good, might be bad, who knows. But I don't dwell on it or care about it, except to think how nice it is that these pieces are still being loved and worn by someone.

If I could get down on my hands and knees and beg you to ignore your friend's comments, I would! :) Her opinion is only that - I'm sure she is a nice person, but she is really wrong to make you feel it should be your opinion too. I totally respect she would not wear a *used* piece, but she should respect your choice as well. And honestly, what's it to her what you wear anyway? Why does it matter to her so much? She's entitled to her opinion but so are you! Add the fact that there is absolutely nothing wrong with wearing a pre-owned set! All that matters is that you love it (it's gorgeous, btw!), you and your dh are happy with it, it was a great price and it looks fantastic!

I just keep thinking that it is so hard to find a setting that we really love, and you've found it! Please don't let your friend's comments take away from your enjoyment of your set.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feb03Bride|1372264629|3472672 said:
Circe|1372262680|3472650 said:
I think your friend sounds judge-y and illogical, frankly. Is she downing her own used purchase in this way? No? Then methinks she might be the sort of person who enjoys spoiling other people's pleasure, for whatever reason - attention, schadenfreude, malice, whatever. Your husband is right: don't listen to her.

Circe-

She's really not. She is someone who is genuinely a good natured person who is genuinely happy for others. Her tone wasn't mean, but insistent that a mid-30's woman not have a used wedding set. So I don't want to focus on my friend, but rather that my set's pre-owned from ebay, and have others bought used from there. 8) But my friend really is a good person. 8)

Good to hear that she is a good person. Sounds like a good friend with strong opinions, and that's what her statement was, her opinion. Your opinion was that this set is "THE ONE". We don't always have the same opinions of our friends. Im glad YOU love your set. Im even glad DH LOVES your set. That is all that matters. You enjoy your "NEW to YOU" beauties!!! ;-)

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I frequently brag about my deals from eBay. My second hand stuff simply can't be beat ... I can't even get them brand new if I wanted to pay the retail price. I have a lovely Chopard Happy Diamonds watch that I got for a steal of a deal - I would have never bought it brand new because I think it is extremely over priced for what it is.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not "used" it's "preloved." ;)) It honestly doesn't bother me at all.

You got a GREAT deal. I don't care if I buy it from an individual seller, a retail store, or eBay. If I love it, and it's in good condition, that's all that matters to me.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Feb03Bride|1372261318|3472642 said:
Her reaction? This can not be and I should really think twice about that. That while she loves my rings (and she's not jealous- her set is gorgeous and she's 100% happy with them) they are USED. And a woman in her mid-30's should not settle for a USED wedding set. That there is history with the rings (and I don't know that history, since it came from richardallen) and that if I loved this set so much, I should go buy it new from Jared's directly.

Have to agree with others - sounds like your friend has some issues that she's trying to project onto you.

Weddings sets are like cars - the first time someone wears/drives them, they are no longer "new". My ring was new when I got it, and now it's not. ;-). I'd love to see where the 'book o' rules' is that says women of any given age shouldn't have a used wedding set. I'm inching to 48, and I'd *happily* wear pre-owned jewelry (and DO.)

It would seem she hasn't really listened to you, because in reading your story, I don't think you're "settling" at all. You love the set, enough so that you've decided to keep it. That's not settling! And the notion that you should go buy the same set new? Total insanity. You don't have anything to prove to anyone. You bought something you love, and that's all that matters.

She should have the grace to let this drop, but if not, I'd just tell her you exchanged it for the exact same thing at Jared's. :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even diamonds have a bit of history that we aren't necessarily aware of - how do we know that the diamond in our e-rings aren't newly mined or that it has been owned previously, repolished up and given a new lab report? I have no qualms about anything secondhand as long as it is in good condition. Once it's mine, it's mine regardless of history.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely nothing wrong with purchasing gently worn jewelry and diamonds from Ebay, I have done so many many times and have some awesome jewelry. You just need to research feedback and do your homework making sure it's reputable, good return policy, etc. All the diamonds in the swirls in my avatar ring are from Ebay, the small ones on the band are from Brian Gavin.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
My BFF only buys new things, she never gets anything pre-loved. Her vice is purses, so she goes to the Prada store or whatever and buys the stuff full price even if you can get the same bag pre-loved at a fraction of the retail. I love deal hunting and just think it's crazy and would never do that. We love each other to bits, but we have different principles. And it doesn't stop us from being bffs. So just agree to disagree!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results